Choose Your Legends: Round 2 - Jan 21 - 28! Who will YOU vote for? [FEB 1: RESULTS ARE IN]

Coolmanio

1 hour ago, Superbus said:

Any votes I don't use on Tate, I'm going to burn on Makalov.

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Dunno, I always liked Makalov tbh. Gonna give him at least one vote.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Pretty sure the dad thing was not his fault at all. After all, Greil was the one that went to confront the Black Knight. And I recall the other scenario that you're referring to be something that happens like very early in the game.

Greil told Ike to stay put at the camp. Ike disobeyed and went to find his dad. They got surrounded and Greil, Shinon, and Gatrie had to show up to bail him out. That caused them to run into the BK which led to Greil dying and a second situation where everyone else would've died had the Laguz not bailed him out. I've heard people complain about the Laguz rescuing him, but if people are going complain about that, then they really out to be complaining about every time a hero is rescued in all of fiction.

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, he gets told off, and that was it. But the issue still exists that while Ike has made mistakes, he just never had to truly face the full consequences of it. That's what I'm saying.

I get that, it's just that particular instance was treated a more seriously than some others seem to suggest.

Shades of Evil- it is thanks to that chapter the BK sees Greil, and therefore leads to his death then. Greil probably would have died to the BK eventually regardless, and Ike never comes to realize his brashness beforehand helped lead to Greil's death. Therefore he never truly knew the consequences of his decision nor do others call him out for it. The same way no one including himself calls out Ephraim for his mistake in brashly pursuing Lyon at Neleras Peak and thus getting the Sacred Stone of Renais smashed.

We also have the debatable issue of invading Daein Keep in Without A King, and Icelerate would probably say the entire PoR invasion of Daein (I'd disagree). And then there is Battle Reunion, where as is, Lucia and Bastian seem to be hit with the stupid bat just so Ike can do the right thing (if they wanted L&B to have a logical argument, they needed to intensify plot-wise the enemy Geoffrey was facing).

Then we have Chapter 2- wasn't that Ike's fault too and Shinon, Gatrie and Titania have to bail him out? And Ike doesn't get killed in three shots of draconic red upon stepping on Goldoan soil simply because Kurthnaga just so happened to be there that one time. Two lucky breaks. A third if we add Shades of Evil where Shinon once again has to save Ike's blue haired behind (and Gatrie and Greil tag along too), no wonder he hates him (but at least Shinon also admits it's a little irrational). Yet another- the BK is about to kill Ike when he wants revenge before his dying father, but RAWR! Caineghis is offscreen just in time and makes himself heard to the BK, who knows the King of Red Lions is a fight he might not win and so he withdraws. Lucky break numero quatro! 

We obviously can't have the main character die in life or death situations though. So Ike had to live somehow, either he had to be wise and polite, saved by outside forces, receives a lesser punishment, or beloved by those who should be killing him. Maybe there are other options too. Is it a weakness of PoR's writing that Ike gets himself into so many situations where death can happen, particularly to him, and yet he escapes each time. At least it was never in a way that lionizes his abilities (Ephraim at the end of C5x) or involves others bending over backwards in reverence of him.

Ike never gets completely over his anti-noble/manners and traditions attitude either, he comes to tolerate being in the presence and to watch his tongue, and he knows there are good ones out there, but his attitude continues to remain a little brash. But this isn't terrible, as he does grow and people are naturally do matter how much you try to change them going to have their likes, dislikes and tics.

As for all the Marth discussion. Of the FE characters, he is my favorite in Smash (ideally in the white recolor). While I don't think being the first of something should always give inordinate influence and prominence (Pokemon's First Generation seems to be this way), he does deserve more than he has gotten in Heroes so far. And massively overhauled remakes of his games with much more characterization for all and a more thrilling presented plot (a ladleful of additional world building would be sweet and inclusion of non-game world building information). Simplicity is nice, but Marth needs more than that if he wants to be really popular and relevant globally.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But there are some cases where I can't help but feel that being female is their sole claim, or by two billion lightyears, their biggest claim to popularity.

I'm just gonna say -- there's a reason why female Corrin is so much more popular than her male counterpart, to the point of being like top 10 whereas he was much farther down. It certainly isn't because she's a better character.

4 minutes ago, AnimusMage said:

I voted for Leif yesterday, and the rest of my votes are going to Nanna, Finn,  Glade, Eirika, Hector, and Marth. Glade is hardly one of my favorite characters, but I still like him well enough and there's other characters more deserving of last place.

And to throw my two cents into the apparent debate going on, I find the suggestion that any female character, whatever her personality is, is massively popular for good and pure reasons to be laughable at best.

You deserve a medal for rooting for the underdog, as with your giving to #RallyMarth is appreciated

The point isn't to say that a female character should only be popular for pure, innocent reason. The concern is taking that one aspect about them - being attractive, a waifu or fanservice, take your pick - and over exaggerating it to the point of stereotyping anyone who may like said person. That's how you give rise to the terrible thot memes, along with the biggest low point imo; when Camilla beat Lyn in the CYL Gauntlet.

16 minutes ago, Bankai said:

I'm mostly voting for Forrest will give Leif and Marth both a vote as well

Thank you, good sir!

5 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Greil told Ike to stay put at the camp. Ike disobeyed and went to find his dad. They got surrounded and Greil, Shinon, and Gatrie had to show up to bail him out. That caused them to run into the BK which led to Greil dying and a second situation where everyone else would've died had the Laguz not bailed him out. I've heard people complain about the Laguz rescuing him, but if people are going complain about that, then they really out to be complaining about every time a hero is rescued in all of fiction.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I get that, it's just that particular instance was treated a more seriously than some others seem to suggest.

Shades of Evil- it is thanks to that chapter the BK sees Greil, and therefore leads to his death then. Greil probably would have died to the BK eventually regardless, and Ike never comes to realize his brashness beforehand helped lead to Greil's death. Therefore he never truly knew the consequences of his decision nor do others call him out for it. The same way no one including himself calls out Ephraim for his mistake in brashly pursuing Lyon at Neleras Peak and thus getting the Sacred Stone of Renais smashed.

We also have the debatable issue of invading Daein Keep in Without A King, and Icelerate would probably say the entire PoR invasion of Daein (I'd disagree). And then there is Battle Reunion, where as is, Lucia and Bastian seem to be hit with the stupid bat just so Ike can do the right thing (if they wanted L&B to have a logical argument, they needed to intensify plot-wise the enemy Geoffrey was facing).

Then we have Chapter 2- wasn't that Ike's fault too and Shinon, Gatrie and Titania have to bail him out? And Ike doesn't get killed in three shots of draconic red upon stepping on Goldoan soil simply because Kurthnaga just so happened to be there that one time. Two lucky breaks. A third if we add Shades of Evil where Shinon once again has to save Ike's blue haired behind (and Gatrie and Greil tag along too), no wonder he hates him (but at least Shinon also admits it's a little irrational). Yet another- the BK is about to kill Ike when he wants revenge before his dying father, but RAWR! Caineghis is offscreen just in time and makes himself heard to the BK, who knows the King of Red Lions is a fight he might not win and so he withdraws. Lucky break numero quatro! 

We obviously can't have the main character die in life or death situations though. So Ike had to live somehow, either he had to be wise and polite, saved by outside forces, receives a lesser punishment, or beloved by those who should be killing him. Maybe there are other options too. Is it a weakness of PoR's writing that Ike gets himself into so many situations where death can happen, particularly to him, and yet he escapes each time. At least it was never in a way that lionizes his abilities (Ephraim at the end of C5x) or involves others bending over backwards in reverence of him.

Ike never gets completely over his anti-noble/manners and traditions attitude either, he comes to tolerate being in the presence and to watch his tongue, and he knows there are good ones out there, but his attitude continues to remain a little brash. But this isn't terrible, as he does grow and people are naturally do matter how much you try to change them going to have their likes, dislikes and tics.

As for all the Marth discussion. Of the FE characters, he is my favorite in Smash (ideally in the white recolor). While I don't think being the first of something should always give inordinate influence and prominence (Pokemon's First Generation seems to be this way), he does deserve more than he has gotten in Heroes so far. And massively overhauled remakes of his games with much more characterization for all and a more thrilling presented plot (a ladleful of additional world building would be sweet and inclusion of non-game world building information). Simplicity is nice, but Marth needs more than that if he wants to be really popular and relevant globally.

As much as I would like to continue this, we are getting off topic now. XP

And besides, it isn't like I dislike Ike. He was well developed and a great character. Just some small issues if anything. 

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

And besides, it isn't like I dislike Ike. He was well developed and a great character. Just some small issues if anything. 

One, that Sanaki thing was something of a trigger for me, I should get over that. My bad.

Two, I randomly enjoy doing very verbose analyses. During the Lyon GHB, do not be surprised if in response to old claims I heard of Lyon not appearing enough in the plot, that I suddenly appear dissecting every single appearance Lyon does make in the plot and in what way.

18 minutes ago, Falter said:

Dunno, I always liked Makalov tbh. Gonna give him at least one vote.

Has a Mak(e) A Love(e) ever become a meme? Ideally with some lewd imagery?

Makalov is a petty criminal, not deep at all, and RD just had to blindly attach Astrid to him (but it is her choice, so I will respect it), but I like having a few non-moral paragons (and not dramatically so like Jaffar) in the FE armies. It's a little more normal, realistic, and earthy that way. FE5 has even worse (or better depending on your word choice) from what I've heard. Lifis apparently attempts to subtly trick Saphy into making a deal where he gets to have sex with her! Besides just being a lowly thief doing lowly thief raiding of innocent villages.

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

The point isn't to say that a female character should only be popular for pure, innocent reason. The concern is taking that one aspect about them - being attractive, a waifu or fanservice, take your pick - and over exaggerating it to the point of stereotyping anyone who may like said person. That's how you give rise to the terrible thot memes, along with the biggest low point imo; when Camilla beat Lyn in the CYL Gauntlet.

I wasn't trying to say that it's wrong to like a character in part because they're attractive or anything like that, but I can see how I could have worded that better. What I meant is that it seems to me that while there are plenty of fans also appreciate a female character's personality and her looks there seem to be just as many, if not more, who really only care about looks and fanservice when picking favorites. Especially since some ladies with, er, controversial personalities like Camilla and Tharja are so popular. Not to hate on those two (I actually really like Camilla!) but while I know a lot of their fans can look past their troubling qualities and still like them for their personalities there's also a lot who just don't care.

....Does any of that make sense? I apologize, I'm not especially articulate.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

One, that Sanaki thing was something of a trigger for me, I should get over that. My bad.

Two, I randomly enjoy doing very verbose analyses. During the Lyon GHB, do not be surprised if in response to old claims I heard of Lyon not appearing enough in the plot, that I suddenly appear dissecting every single appearance Lyon does make in the plot and in what way.

It's cool. Trust me, I understand how it feels. 

LOL XD 

48 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Not true. Eliwood has appeared in 3 (being the Michalis GHB, Ninian & Hawkeye BHB and a TT). That, and with his personal weapon receiving an upgrade thanks to his son, in addition to having cavalry benefits, he's good as is. If you go down the list of every lord, with the exception of the still new Micaiah & Sothe and the sole missing Leif,  Marth is the only one left to gather dust

I mean whenever falchion gets upgraded, Marth will get an upgrade.  The reason they haven't yet is because Falchion is still a solid weapon whereas durandel was pretty bad.  I don't think appearing in more banners really makes you more popular, but maybe that's just my view.  

I still don't think you can say that IS abandoned a character that they promote like crazy in all their other games.  This is literally the only game where he is misrepresented, if at all.  I would say Sothe and Micaiah being so late is more of an insult than only appearing in one banner despite being a 4*.   My personal opinion of Marth has actually gone down over the years just because IS keeps promoting him as FE's poster child.  It always seemed to me like Marth is the only FE lord that is allowed to be important other than whatever the newest few games are.

Edited by Lushen

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

BTW, for some reason, I voted yesterday I can't vote right now, despite how yesterday it was said that I can vote tomorrow at 7 PM. It's past 7 and I still can't vote.

7:00pm PT.  You're in central time, like me.  Its at 9:00 PM for us.

Edited by Lushen

1 hour ago, Lushen said:

Probably b/c Marth is available as a 4*.  Eliwood has pretty much the same treatment.

My point with bridal Caeda is that Marth's game has recieved seasonals.  Ephraim's game, SS, has not.  

Eliwood can at least be turned into either a poor man's Siegbert (w/Durandal) or a poor man's BH!Roy (w/Blazing Durandal). Really, just the fact he's on a horse puts him in a better spot than Marth by default.

That's still only tangentially related to Marth himself though. Besides, Blazing Blade w/Bride Lyn is the only other non-3DS game to have one of its characters get a seasonal. Sacred Stones is most certainly not unique there.

59 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Is Lekain seriously not an option? That's just bizarre. I doubt he would rank very high but he's still a main antagonist and he appears in two games.

He wasn't an option in the first one either, despite more minor villains (Jarod, Valtome) being present. It's also worth noting there's no PoR!Oliver on the ballot either.

Edited by Tybrosion

31 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Eliwood can at least be turned into either a poor man's Siegbert (w/Durandal) or a poor man's BH!Roy (w/Blazing Durandal). Really, just the fact he's on a horse puts him in a better spot than Marth by default.

That's still only tangentially related to Marth himself though. Besides, Blazing Blade w/Bride Lyn is the only other non-3DS game to have one of its characters get a seasonal. Sacred Stones is most certainly not unique there.

Marth can actually be really good.  I don't know why people keep underestimating him.  His stats are : 41/31/34/29/23.  He's like the best falchion user in the game (best at killing Nowi).  Lucina is probably slightly better but Marth is really solid.  Totally underestimated.

Magvel also had the lowest amount of characters until this month.  And  no characters in the beginning of the game.  And no characters in Warriors.  I still say that Jugdral and Magvel are totally ignored by IS and it will continue to be that way forever.

Edited by Lushen

I wasn't saying that none of Lucina's personality comes from her character, just that it can't be the only factor seeing as she isn't the most interesting character after she reveals herself. I actually do like Lucina, but she's a lot like Lyn in that being a lot of people's first female lord, as well as seeming to be the canon wife of M!Robin, where other things besides her personality had to  have played a factor. My main point was that I don't think Lucina's popularity will transfer too well to Chrom; they are very different characters, really their only similarity being the game and being related.

1 minute ago, JDraks said:

I wasn't saying that none of Lucina's personality comes from her character, just that it can't be the only factor seeing as she isn't the most interesting character after she reveals herself. I actually do like Lucina, but she's a lot like Lyn in that being a lot of people's first female lord, as well as seeming to be the canon wife of M!Robin, where other things besides her personality had to  have played a factor. My main point was that I don't think Lucina's popularity will transfer too well to Chrom; they are very different characters, really their only similarity being the game and being related.

Well, we do have to remember that Lucina didn't get to spend that much time with Chrom, and in the end, her world went to hell. Kind of hard for her to develop a personality outside of a need to be a strong leader for the sake of others. She didn't have time for laughs or games. 

18 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Thanks to @Alexmender's advice, I will go Eirika all 7 days! Go Eirika!

Glad to be of help! The girls race is going to be pretty tough but we will stand besides Eirika always!

Now it´s time to look for EirikaxLyon fanart to promote her even more when his GHB comes

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, we do have to remember that Lucina didn't get to spend that much time with Chrom, and in the end, her world went to hell. Kind of hard for her to develop a personality outside of a need to be a strong leader for the sake of others. She didn't have time for laughs or games. 

Right, her personality makes sense and I do like it, but I don't think her character is good enough to be the only factor behind being the third most popular FE character.

30 minutes ago, Hinoka said:

Hello who all vote for Hinoka ?

Sorry, I wish I could help her. There's a lot of characters I want to help, but I rather I just vote the characters that I like in my top 2.

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I would actually argue that is her personality to begin with.

Edited by Zangetsu