Jakob, Devoted Servant

eclipse

The canonical servant to female Corrin, he's best utilized when on a horse or a wyvern.  However, Fates doesn't give us the option to reclass, so Jakob is stuck as a staffbot butler.  Sporting a much bigger nose, some awesome special quotes, and annoying balanced stats, Jakob doesn't really excel at anything.  But like my last victim (Raigh), this means that his build is reliant on his boon and bane.  Due to his weapon, he can get away with -Atk, but I wouldn't recommend it.  -Spd is especially painful, and will open him up to far more double attacks.  He can work with -HP, -Def, and -Res.  For boons, +Atk turns him into a half-decent offensive unit, +Spd turns him into a more balanced Saizo, +HP means he ties Gaius for most HP, and +Def/+Res allow him to tank certain things better.

Base stats:

HP: 35/39/42
Atk: 25/29/32
Spd: 27/31/34
Def: 22/25/29
Res: 21/24/28

Blue indicates a better boon.  Red indicates a worse bane.

Boring Debuffer (Silver Dagger+/Smoke Dagger+, any)

Spoiler

Weapon: Silver Dagger+/Smoke Dagger+ (+Spd)
Assist: (flexible)
Special: Luna/AoE (see description)
A: Fury 3
B: Seal Atk/Spd/Guard 3/Vantage 3
C: Spd Smoke 3/(flexible)
S: Atk Smoke 3/Speed +3

This build is stupid-expensive, but it's pretty funny when it comes together.  His opponent loses 24 stat points, while everyone around his target loses 28 stat points.  As long as the rest of his team can get to the opponents, it'll most likely be a sweep-up job.

If I really wanted to be silly, I'd consider an AoE special, because it adds to the theme of removing stats - in this case, HP.  Vantage isn't particularly threatening when your opponent is out 7 Atk/Spd!

The downside is that he won't kill his opponent, so if you're looking for a unit that can sweep on his own, look elsewhere!

The Smoke Dagger+ can be used in place of Silver Dagger+, which frees up the rest of his slots.  Everything that doesn't reduce stats can be replaced with the other suggestions.  While Poison Strike/Savage Blow are an option, this build needs to function during player and enemy phase.

One-time nuke (Seashell+, +Atk/+Spd)

Spoiler

Weapon: Seashell+ (+Spd)
Special: Noontime
A: Life and Death 3
B: -breaker/Desperation 3 (+Spd)
C: Threaten Spd 3/(flexible)
S: Speed +3

Hardly the best use of Jakob, but if you want to go ham (and have a spare Frederick), he can hit pretty hard, and all of once.  Noontime is to recharge the Seashell's weapon effect, giving him two shots at having decent offensive stats (36 or 39/41 or 44, boon-dependent).  Speed +3 gives him Saizo's base offensive numbers.  Attack +3 can also be used, though it puts less value on Desperation.

Not Matthew (Rogue Dagger+, +Def/+Res, -Res/-Def)

Spoiler

Weapon: Rogue Dagger+ (+Def/Res, whichever one you want to stack)
Special: Bonfire/Iceberg/Noontime (depends on your stats)
A: Distant Defense 3
B: Quick Riposte 3/Guard 3/-breaker/Vantage 3
C: Atk Smoke 3/(flexible)
S: Distant Defense 3/Atk Smoke 3

So, this isn't Matthew, because Matthew's specialty is Defense, while Jakob can work with either of his defensive stats.  Bonfire/Iceberg is for straight killing, while Noontime is to irritate the opponent to death.  Double Distant Defense bumps his durability to 37 or 41/36 or 40, and this is before Rogue Dagger+ gives him even more stats.  As this build isn't designed for someone in his face, he'd rather not have Close Counter.

Quick Riposte emphasizes enemy-phase, while Guard/-breaker are for either phase.  Bowbreaker goes well with +Def, and use Deflect Missile to shut down every last bow.  Your tomebreaker of choice can work on mages, though -raven still ruins your day.  Cancel Affinity can be run, but I feel it's a waste of a B slot.  Vantage is another option, which will allow him one final debuff before going down.

Poking for free! (any weapon, +Spd)

Spoiler

Weapon: Have at it (+Spd)
Special: Moonbow/Luna
A: Darting Blow 3/Life and Death 3
B: Watersweep 3
C: (flexible)
S: Phantom Speed 3/Speed +3

With all the speed boosts stacked, Jakob will hit 45 Speed on attack.   This allows him to safely fire off a dagger of his choice to debuff the enemy.  Rogue Dagger+ gives him and his allies a nifty durability boost, while Smoke Dagger+ hits all enemy non-HP stats.  Silver Dagger+ hurts the most, Kagami Mochi+ drops his special cooldown, and Seashell+ gives him a one-time stat boost.  Phantom Speed 3 allows him to be !even faster! though it won't reflect on his actual stat total.

Life and Death 3 can be used for more offensive oomph, but slightly less Speed.  Not that most things hit 45 Speed on their own!

Not Jaffar (Smoke Dagger+, +Atk/+Spd)

Spoiler

Weapon: Smoke Dagger+ (+Spd)
Special: Luna
A: Fury 3/Life and Death 3
B: Poison Strike 3
C: Savage Blow 3
S: Savage Blow 3

So that's 10 additional damage to the opponent, 14 to everyone around the opponent, 6 to self, and a massive stat drop.  It's a fun gimmick build, but Jaffar really does it better.

I LIEK STUPID GIMMICKS! (any, +HP)

Spoiler

Weapon: Whatever's cheap and easy (+Spd, I guess)
Assist: (flexibile)
Special: Whatever floats your boat
A: HP +5
B: Renewal 3?
C: Panic Ploy
S: HP +5

At 54 HP after weapon refinery, there's precious few people that can withstand the ensuing Panic Ploy.  Why you'd d this is beyond me, though the idea of a Panic-inducing dagger unit brings a stupid grin to my face.  Renewal is so that Jakob can continue to scare the opposing team.  Unless it's Armor Emblem.  Then he's in trouble.

"Where are the Poison Dagger/Kitty Paddle options?"

On better units, where they belong.  Jakob's Attack is a bit too low to truly take advantage of these weapons.

Jakob's not the most offensive/most defensive/best-looking, but that's okay, because he can fulfill whatever role you need him to.  Except that last build.  Please don't do that unless you really want to be silly.

Revision history:

1/21/17 - I forgot that Phantom Speed 3 exists.

Edited by eclipse

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

Poking for free! (any weapon, +Spd)

I think Phantom Speed is better in the Sacred Seal slot, as Speed +3 will most likely be in high demand and hogged by other units. Phantom Speed also gives Jakob more Speed when calculating Sweeps and it makes Jakob less dependent on his nature.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

I think Phantom Speed is better in the Sacred Seal slot, as Speed +3 will most likely be in high demand and hogged by other units. Phantom Speed also gives Jakob more Speed when calculating Sweeps and it makes Jakob less dependent on his nature.

. . .I forgot about that.  Thanks!  Will add this when I feel like identifying everything that's a car.

I know it's a gimmick build but Reciprocal Aid might go with your suer HP gimmick Jakob?

If he's going to be running Renewal anyway, might as well heal most units back to full health

Or slap the Seal Atk SS just to be annoying whenever he goes down.