FE 8 Chaos Mode V3.08 is here!!!

DDDHunter

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, DDDHunter said:

Do you mean her tier 2 promotion? If not ignore what I just said.

Oh my ... *sparkles in my eyes*

Also just got an idea for the hatchet! Why not giving it one extra range ? It would be good and safe harassing damage, what do you think ?

This just occurred to me, but can someone send me screenshots of gameplay of the rom hack? Normally in other people's rom hacks, you will see example of gameplay to show them what the hack is like. I completely forgot to take screenshot while play testing and didn't want to play through all those chapters again just to  take a few screenshots. So can some people please send me screenshot of the gameplay. For example, a picture of the soldier promotion screen.

Well, I just beat the entire thing. Kind of ridiculous that literally the only unit you need to use is Seth, who is absurdly broken,  until you get Sieglinde and Siegmund, which makes Tyrfing's bonuses look like +3 Luck. Also Seth promoting into the Black Knight is a cool touch, I liked that. Didn't see any other third tier promotions, though, as I had literally zero incentive to use anyone else.

52 minutes ago, Lord Raymond said:

Well, I just beat the entire thing. Kind of ridiculous that literally the only unit you need to use is Seth, who is absurdly broken,  until you get Sieglinde and Siegmund, which makes Tyrfing's bonuses look like +3 Luck. Also Seth promoting into the Black Knight is a cool touch, I liked that. Didn't see any other third tier promotions, though, as I had literally zero incentive to use anyone else.

Are you talking about the old version? I just released a new one today that toned Seth down a bit.(But mostly to fix all the glitches the first one has) (It now takes a lot to level him even to level 2 and his personal weapon is a bit weaker. You shouldn't be able to solo this with seth anymore. If the characters are still too op, I will make some balance changes after I finished change all the chapters.

1 hour ago, Lord Raymond said:

Wait ... how did you beat the game on the old version??? The negative stats glitch should have made it impossible to complete the game and you can't promote anyone to tier three in this version yet? So, how did you do it?

Well, I tried making chp 9 of Erika's route fog of war and added new units to it. It turn out to be really fun going straight into the fog to try and save the village before its destroyed by pirates. However, it creates a glitch where the enemies left is -- at the start of the chapter and the chapter won't end even if you kill everyone. Anyone have a fix or do I have to leave chp 9 fogless?

I think you'll have to leave the chapter fogless.

Also, while I understand that this is your thread, you can cut down on the number of posts-in-a-row by using the plus sign next to Quote to quote multiple people.

The new patch is released! Also, because I'm told that I'm making too many posts on the topic, this is the last time I'm announcing the release of a new patch in the topic. Please just check periodically for a new patch. One should come around in a week or less at the current rate unless I need to work on something else that week.

Just played Eirika's first chapter after route split ... oh my god this halberdier ! Thks god I grinded Joshua into a beast, but still !

Then those Longbowmen were ... deadly to my thieve, thanks god they dont move .

Finally, Amelia ... she is actually terrible   -_-'  she has bad bases, bad growth, recruiting her was a pain, thks to that fog, and the only thing she has for her is those damn speedwings.

So yeah I would suggest buffing her growth, because  ~= 40 in speed skill and strength is very low on your hack, and she has worst defense, so unless she is Rng blessed she won't get anywhere.

2 hours ago, tonfa said:

Just played Eirika's first chapter after route split ... oh my god this halberdier ! Thks god I grinded Joshua into a beast, but still !

Then those Longbowmen were ... deadly to my thieve, thanks god they dont move .

Finally, Amelia ... she is actually terrible   -_-'  she has bad bases, bad growth, recruiting her was a pain, thks to that fog, and the only thing she has for her is those damn speedwings.

So yeah I would suggest buffing her growth, because  ~= 40 in speed skill and strength is very low on your hack, and she has worst defense, so unless she is Rng blessed she won't get anywhere.

Okay, I toned the base stat of the halberdier down (the skill and speed wasn't supposed to be that high, I don't know what happened) and Amelia get + 1 in all base stats and 10% in all growths. She also comes with a Metis Tome now.

Ok I used some Codebreaker codes in order to just see some of the tier 3 classes and here they are

Guardian - Black Knight(This is only for Seth) nD8Qvpc.png

General - King(King Zephiel sprite, btw it makes me happy being able to use this unit)

Sword Saint - Blade Goddess(Basically the promoted Lyn from FE7 wielding Sol Katti and can wield axes as well)

Bishop - High Priest(

Druid - Nergal Sprite

Sage - High Magus(

Ranger - Just a Nomad trooper sprite

So I just did some grinding in the tower and and I actually looted a Zanbato ... with 10 uses, instead of infinite x)

Also, when do you plan on releasing the patch with buff + metis tome Amelia and toned down halberd guy? because he still has 30 skill + 30 Speed with me (thanks god he comes only with a slim lance )

Finally I'm hyper over the tier3 classes x)

5 hours ago, Cid_Garr said:

Ok I used some Codebreaker codes in order to just see some of the tier 3 classes and here they are

You just missed one class, Heroes can also promote into Vanguards which are basically Ike with swords.

Also, for tonfa, the fixes will be released along with Chp 11 and you would get your first master seal that chapter too. (Hint, its hiding somewhere in the fog)

Edited by DDDHunter

1 hour ago, Cid_Garr said:

@DDDHunter  There is a bug where the battle music stops when the High Magus attacks

Sorry, I don't know how to fix that :( I don't even know what could be wrong. Its just music anyways, and its only for the attack so I don't see any reason to investigate the problem further when its such a small problem. If you can get someone to explain to me how to fix the problem, then I will.

Edited by DDDHunter

I couldn't figure out how to "update" to 3.01, let alone 3.02. Trying to 'repatch' into 3.01 gives me an "That's the output file already" error, and trying to patch an actual fresh rom with multiple patches at onces gives a "None of these are valid patches!" error. As such some of this feedback may no longer be relevant.

To start off, I have to say that I'm enjoying this hack a lot. While not the most challenging, infinite weapon usage and skills distribution that's 'abnormal' from what I've come to expect for hacks using the skill system (For example Knights learning Paragon at 20) is lots of fun! I haven't seen a hack using the skill system which allows one to "forget" skills if they try to learn a seventh, so that was a pleasant surprise! It  made me feel some nostalgia for Pokemon.

I was wondering about the following:
1) Do you plan on using .ups for future patches, as the community seems more familiar with them.
2) Which of the new in-battle sprites did you make if any? Some are new to vanilla FE8 but I've seen elsewhere such as Dragoon in the Lion Throne fan game.
3) Can Amelia be changed to promote into a Cavalier or Soldier? The player already has two knights, but to the best of my knowledge can't have a Dragoon and Halbedier at the same time since Gilliam is the only playable soldier.
4) Do you plan on including hp bars?
5) Do you plan on including 'show heal amount'?
6) Do you plan on including a toggle to display enemy range?

Some bugs I've noticed:
1) The skill "Cunning" has no effect when it's on a pirate, works fine for Colm.
2) Neimi has the skill "Malefic aura" twice, and it doesn't stack.
3) Bow range +1 skill has no effect.
4) If the skill Paragon would cause a unit to level up twice from a kill, the experience bar will loop animation, requiring one to reload. Interestingly enough, if a unit with Paragon is attacked, and kills an enemy from retaliation they won't gain enough experience to level up twice.
5) All units display Str and the melee weapon ranks on their info, even ones that can only use magic. To see true weapon ranks one has to go into the "all unit info" section.
6) Nosferatu and Longbow display --- range but appear to actually have 1-10. When selecting an ally with one of the two, red tiles don't display on all the possible squares in range.
7) On the world map, monster encounters display the boss as being lvl --- even on maps without fog of war.

6 hours ago, Sythion said:

I couldn't figure out how to "update" to 3.01, let alone 3.02. Trying to 'repatch' into 3.01 gives me an "That's the output file already" error, and trying to patch an actual fresh rom with multiple patches at onces gives a "None of these are valid patches!" error. As such some of this feedback may no longer be relevant.

To start off, I have to say that I'm enjoying this hack a lot. While not the most challenging, infinite weapon usage and skills distribution that's 'abnormal' from what I've come to expect for hacks using the skill system (For example Knights learning Paragon at 20) is lots of fun! I haven't seen a hack using the skill system which allows one to "forget" skills if they try to learn a seventh, so that was a pleasant surprise! It  made me feel some nostalgia for Pokemon.

I was wondering about the following:
2) Which of the new in-battle sprites did you make if any? Some are new to vanilla FE8 but I've seen elsewhere such as Dragoon in the Lion Throne fan game.
3) Can Amelia be changed to promote into a Cavalier or Soldier? The player already has two knights, but to the best of my knowledge can't have a Dragoon and Halbedier at the same time since Gilliam is the only playable soldier.
4) Do you plan on including hp bars?
5) Do you plan on including 'show heal amount'?
6) Do you plan on including a toggle to display enemy range?

Some bugs I've noticed:

5) All units display Str and the melee weapon ranks on their info, even ones that can only use magic. To see true weapon ranks one has to go into the "all unit info" section.
6) Nosferatu and Longbow display --- range but appear to actually have 1-10. When selecting an ally with one of the two, red tiles don't display on all the possible squares in range.

For a fresh rom, you only need to patch the V3.02 patch, secondly, for the update, I think you have to use flips as that creates and new file at the end of the patch as the new file. Since I use flips to create the patches and it wants to make them .bps, that's how they are going to be. sorry :( As for the other questions, there will be another playable soldier in the next patch, I got all the battle sprites from the community check resource for battle and magic animation, and as for the rest, other people already made patches for those things, but I don't know if they are applicatiable to this hack. Feel feel to try them out. Except for the str and the melee weapon ranks thing, I already apply the patch for that, I don't why its not working properly. Finally, paragon is too bugged because somehow, it can cause the rookie classes to overlevel so now they can't promote so I have to remove it from the game.

The next patch should up the difficulty level by upping growths on enemies. If you are wondering why the revenant and entombed have so much health, it's because I meant for them to be damage sponges. It's going to be a day or two before the next patch because I editing the actual map on Chp 12 to make it less boring.

While you're buffing Amelia, Neimi could also use a buff, honestly. Her bases are trainee-tier and her growths aren't anything special either, along with losing 7 speed from a Flux.

Is Natasha being able to use staves intended, by the way?

Edited by JMaula

On 1/21/2018 at 7:11 AM, DDDHunter said:

Since there was some amount of confusion because of multiple patches, I will only be releasing the fresh rom patch.

Reading that, I feel really silly. Sorry for the mix-up! Anyway, feedback from 3.03 and some more questions. I only tested the Black Knight in terms of tier 3, and have played the 12 chapters of Eirkias route and 4 floors of the tower.

Bugs:
1) Neimi is forced to promote into Druid. (This could be intentional)
2) Eirika is forced to promote into Sword Saint. (This could be intentional)
3) Colm is forced to promote into Assassin. (This could be intentional)
4) Lancereaver has 10, instead of infinite durability.
5) Pirates/Thieves forget Cunning upon promotion, meaning a lack of tier 2 with Cunning unless a later recruitment fixes this. Pegasus Knights forget Canto if they become Wyvern Knights and never re-learn it or Canto+.  Guardian forgets Swordfaire upon promotion. In all cases there's enough room for the new class skill without deletion of old ones.
6) Rangers lack Canto.
7) Amelia learns Canto as a level 1 Cavalier, but not Provoke as a Knight. Ewan learns neither Malefic Aura or Focus upon promotion.
8) Pablo from chapter 10 (the boss) has a Physic staff but not rank B staves, so it can't be used.
9) Is Iness meant to equip lances, and Natash equip staves?
10) Hatchet and Devil axe can't be sold or drop, considered treasure. (This could be intentional)
11) In the tower floor 3 an enemy Lord spawns with no weapons, but the Bond skill. (This could be intentional)
12) Promoting Seth made his health drop to 80 (I had raised it with Angelic robes to over 100).

General stuff:
1) When then hack is done, do you plan on making a list of what each weapon that has an effect actually does? For example, Spear having a drain hp effect was very surprising! This would mention things such as effectiveness vs X, Brave effect, stat buffs and the like.
2) Do you plan on adding Ephraim's route in the future?
3) Assuming like the Black Knight, other tier 3s don't learn any new skills.. Do you plan on adding skills for them?
4) Do you plan on making all units promote tier 3 eventually? If lack of sprites is an issue, you could do it Radiant-Dawn style and have some units promote into the same class. For example, have Dragoon/Halbedier turn into Kings in addition to Generals.

9 hours ago, Sythion said:

Reading that, I feel really silly. Sorry for the mix-up! Anyway, feedback from 3.03 and some more questions. I only tested the Black Knight in terms of tier 3, and have played the 12 chapters of Eirkias route and 4 floors of the tower.

1) Neimi is forced to promote into Druid. (This could be intentional)
2) Eirika is forced to promote into Sword Saint. (This could be intentional)
3) Colm is forced to promote into Assassin. (This could be intentional)

The Black Knight has a bug where the class changes is you exit out before returning. I fixed it.

Those are intentional. 

4) Lancereaver has 10, instead of infinite durability.
5) Pirates/Thieves forget Cunning upon promotion, meaning a lack of tier 2 with Cunning unless a later recruitment fixes this. Pegasus Knights forget Canto if they become Wyvern Knights and never re-learn it or Canto+.  Guardian forgets Swordfaire upon promotion. In all cases there's enough room for the new class skill without deletion of old ones.
6) Rangers lack Canto.
7) Amelia learns Canto as a level 1 Cavalier, but not Provoke as a Knight. Ewan learns neither Malefic Aura or Focus upon promotion.
8) Pablo from chapter 10 (the boss) has a Physic staff but not rank B staves, so it can't be used.
9) Is Iness meant to equip lances, and Natash equip staves?
10) Hatchet and Devil axe can't be sold or drop, considered treasure. (This could be intentional)
11) In the tower floor 3 an enemy Lord spawns with no weapons, but the Bond skill. (This could be intentional)
12) Promoting Seth made his health drop to 80 (I had raised it with Angelic robes to over 100).

Fixed and rangers do learn canto, eventually. 

Hatchet and Devil axe can't be sold or drop, considered treasure. (This could be intentional) Yes, it is.

Promoting Seth made his health drop to 80 (I had raised it with Angelic robes to over 100). (How? Guardians are supposed to have a health cap of 60)

General stuff:
1) When then hack is done, do you plan on making a list of what each weapon that has an effect actually does? For example, Spear having a drain hp effect was very surprising! This would mention things such as effectiveness vs X, Brave effect, stat buffs and the like.
2) Do you plan on adding Ephraim's route in the future?
3) Assuming like the Black Knight, other tier 3s don't learn any new skills.. Do you plan on adding skills for them?
4) Do you plan on making all units promote tier 3 eventually? If lack of sprites is an issue, you could do it Radiant-Dawn style and have some units promote into the same class. For example, have Dragoon/Halbedier turn into Kings in addition to Generals.

1. Maybe

2. Yes

3. The black knight now does learn skills, and so does some of the others. It's just because of the way I inputted them into the game, some of them share a skill table with their previous class so they already learn the skills that they are supposed to learn at that level. The only new skill they learn is their personal skill. There is one, I forgot which one, but it has a independent skill table, so it does learn new skills.

4. No, the problem is I ran out of room to input new classes and assign the tier 3 class to more than one class creates some bugs.

Edited by DDDHunter