Yuji Naka joins Square-Enix

Jedi

Yuji Naka the long time ago former head of Sonic Team has recently tweeted that he's joined SE 

He's worked on tons of old titles such as being a programmer for some of the early SEGA greats such as Phantasy Star, and of course his involvement with Sonic up until 2006. Along with work on series such as Sakura Wars, Nights, etc

I'm quite interested to see what he is working on with SE, considering his ideas are usually pretty interesting.

4 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

hey maybe we'll get another Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood game.

I don't see how that relates at all considering Naka left 2 years before that game was made and it was done by Bioware.

Square seems like an odd choice for someone who's mostly headed platformer related games, but it'll be interesting to see what he works on regardless.

Now I'm just imagining a game like Sonic Forces, but the clothes are Tetsuya Nomura designs.

On a serious note..... I'm curious to see what comes of this. I think it's an interesting combination to say the least

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

1 hour ago, Refa said:

Square seems like an odd choice for someone who's mostly headed platformer related games, but it'll be interesting to see what he works on regardless.

Maybe it'll lead to some weird Final Fantasy spinoff that somehow feels like Phantasy Star.

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Now I'm just imagining a game like Sonic Forces, but the clothes are Tetsuya Nomura designs.

On a serious note..... I'm curious to see what comes of this. I think it's an interesting combination to say the least

Same, it'll be interesting to see.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Maybe it'll lead to some weird Final Fantasy spinoff that somehow feels like Phantasy Star.

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Phantasy Star Hoops? 

Phantasy Star 1 is my favorite 80s RPG. The enemies have attack animations, there's a spell to escape dungeons and later a re-useable item that does the same thing, and you can save wherever you want in the game, even in a dungeon. There's also vehicles that let you bypass obstacles in the overworld, and three different planets to explore. Better than Final Fantasy 1 in my imo. They released in the same week in Japan. So many innovative mechanics that you've got to give props to the programmer that made it happen.

Dunno what sort of role he'd have at Square Enix. He's been heading an indie studio for the past ten years, and the only game of theirs I heard of is Rodea which faces endless comparisons to Nights.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:37 AM, Jedi said:

Well, in FFXV. . .

Spoiler

the Pitioss Ruins was a thing.  There was no direct combat.  Instead, it was a giant jumping puzzle.  At one point, it turned into a platformer of sorts, with the camera zoomed out.