Reasons for liking your favourite character?

Lau

Pretty self-explanatory really. What are your reasons for your favourite character being your favourite?

For me, Marth is my favourite because...I owe a lot to him, which is a bit daft because he's a fictional character, but, it's true. Seeing him in Smash got me into the FE franchise, and back into Nintendo as a whole. He helped me cure that long period of boredom I was going through when I thought nothing else could. This eventually led to me making an account here and on Tumblr, and honestly? These past few years have been some of the greatest I've ever had. It helps that he has a great design and character too. We don't talk about New Mystery 

But yeah, what about you?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty dependent on the character. I love Pent so much because he's introduced while frying an entire bandit army and goes on continue being a killing machine once you got him. I like Shanan for similar enemy army slaying related reasons. Haar is a somewhat different version in that he's a character you wouldn't expect to be so weirdly powerful but is. 

Azelle and Niime on the other hand are rather mediocre or at least not the best of their respective classes but throughout all the Fire emblem casts they remain unique, one of a kind characters. 

Arvis and Takumi are some of the better written characters of their games.

Characters like Morgan, the other Morgan and Arthur I like for consistently being amusing while never letting their gimmick get on my nerves. 

Robin for me. Awakening was the game that truly got me into the Fire Emblem franchise. I tried Shadow Dragon, but the gameplay for that was just so bad in my opinion that I couldn't keep it up. 

So playing as the characters here and seeing Robin's story, I just loved everything about him. We got the chance to make choices on certain things, and though our choices didn't hold much impact, I feel each choice was a weight to a player when used the first time. And then the DLC also allowed another form of choice that shaped the personality. And because of this, Robin became my most favorite character in Fire Emblem, despite the criticism him and the game receives.

Ike - I've always loved his character and both his designs, though RD Ike is my most preferred on the latter (he's so manly and sexy <3). He's so well written and his story and games are both awesome! I look up to him too, as he's a real hero to me. And I owe him some things too. I met a great friend because of him, and he's been there to cheer me up whenever I was going through a really hard time. :) There's also a bit of nostalgia here because Ike was my first FE lord due to PoR being my first game in the series.

Frederick - I kinda consider both of these guys my top favorites now, for slightly different reasons. While Ike has nostalgia and stuff, Frederick is my first and favorite "husband" and I relate to him a good bit. He reminds me of someone with Asperger's, which is what I have. And he likes fire. Fire is awesome. But just as with Ike, I love Freddy's character and design too and I absolutely adore him. <3 I was super happy when he got into FE Warriors AND got a swimsuit in Heroes! He's really hot! <3 Those abs are gorgeous. x3

Edited by Anacybele

Maribelle because I find her to be a really amusing character, whilst also being kind in an unorthodox manner. Sometimes her choice of words may be... uncouth, but at the base of it her intentions are pure. People judge her on her introduction, and think that's all there is to her character, but it doesn't even take much digging in her supports to find that she's not such an aristocratic snob. Or rather, she tries her best for her "social inferiors" in spite of the impression of her elevated status. I just like seeing how prim and proper she's supposed to be, and then seeing her shake off the initial impression her kind of character initially gives off.

From a personality perspective, a design perspective and just an overall perspective she is my favourite FE character.

I found some of Innes's lines like "Tana, you talk too much" pretty hilarious. Also just how he acts cold an uncaring when he actually deeply cares for people but believes if he shows that he's showing weakness. His A support with Tana and him firing Gerik and Tethys to get them out alive show how nice of a guy he is inside.

I actually have no idea how Roy caught on for me considering my first meeting with him was Melee. I can, however, answer why for Severa, another favorite - Tsundere. 'Nuff said. And it's strangely satisfying to watch her cry, hence my Selena-Subaki pairing every Revelations playthrough.

Ah yes, finally a thread where it's appropriate for me to preach the gospel of the 'Boro.

No but seriously...  She is one of my favorites, but I can't necessarily say I have just one absolute favorite.  Really, I like a lot of the characters in the series, though some stick out more than others.  Nevertheless, I'll endeavor to explain what it is I like about the character, as well as maybe a couple other faves.

Most of the folks who played Fates probably already know a lot of Oboro's strong points; she has a well developed character arc, has a "gimmick" that is treated more realistically and is a flaw that's integrated into her arc without making her an irredeemable and unlikable character, and she surprisingly lacks vanity for a gal obsessed with fashion.  But my personal reason for liking her - aside from all that other stuff - has to do with politics.

Simply put, Oboro humanizes and explores an aspect of people that is often glossed over and dehumanized, particularly by Hollywood and lots of AAA devs; the aspect I'm referring to is prejudice.  Oboro makes so many other racists from various critically acclaimed works seem like the creations of some teenager with shoddy writing skills and a rudimentary understanding of discrimination.  Granted, I know others like her exist - one example I can think of is Ashley Williams from Mass Effect, who I also like a lot - but it seems more often than not prejudiced people are just the bad guys and are as complex as a SAT AM cartoon villain.  Not that there's anything wrong with racism being treated in a negative light... but I sometimes feel it's a disservice to try to pretend it's a trait that only very bad people have.

But I digress.  Oboro is this and quite a few other things for me, and it all culminates into a character who I like very much.

Another character I really like is Lucina.  I think she's a very heartfelt character.  Strong yet tender, as some might say.  Some of my favorite moments in Awakening were ones that gave Lucina the spotlight... or at least let her share it with other characters.  She's pretty much what I'd expect out of a leader who came from a blighted time.  I also find it quite amusing how she can be daft about certain things (or simply not acknowledge them), such as character quotes or... good fashion.  One of my other favorite moments with Lucina come from her supports with her sibling; I just like the way they approach the problem behind the sibling potentially having to inherit Falchion from Lucina, which sort of showcases why Lucina is the ideal wielder of the weapon out of the 2nd Gen cast.

I'll also list Catria as a favorite.  She's a middle sibling, so she's sort of relatable to me.  I also like her dynamic with the other sisters; she's often either having to deal with her sister energetically trying to pawn some useless trinkets off on her or seeking guidance from her older sister.  Her getting into that little verbal fight with Est in SoV reminds me of all the conflicts I'd have with my own younger brother.

And oh hey, they all have blue hair.  What a coincidence!

1 hour ago, Frenzify said:

Maribelle because I find her to be a really amusing character, whilst also being kind in an unorthodox manner. Sometimes her choice of words may be... uncouth, but at the base of it her intentions are pure. People judge her on her introduction, and think that's all there is to her character, but it doesn't even take much digging in her supports to find that she's not such an aristocratic snob. Or rather, she tries her best for her "social inferiors" in spite of the impression of her elevated status. I just like seeing how prim and proper she's supposed to be, and then seeing her shake off the initial impression her kind of character initially gives off.

For real, Maribelle is one of my favorite characters from Awakening.

I particularly love her supports with Gaius.  It gives some interesting back story for both characters.

Despite my avatar, Naesala is actually my favorite FE character. I stated this in an older topic, so I'm pretty much just gonna copy what I said before: 

"As odd and possibly callous as it sounds, there is something that is absolutely fascinating to me in witnessing the gradual degradation of morals and ethics a person will go though in order to stave off death—in any sense or scale—for just a moment more. It can be likened to a person rummaging through garbage cans just to have something in their stomachs—no one would willingly sift through another's trash, but the will to live forces them to push aside pride, fear and perhaps even common sense to continue onward. In terms of a single ruler loving their people so much that they are willing sacrifice anything and everything to keep them afloat, it strikes me as a story that has potential to be in equal parts politically engaging, terribly tragic and incredibly heartwarming."

This summation is pretty much the reason I love Naesalaand Shura as he displays a similar devotion for his home. What added to this for me was that Naesala was in no obvious way repentant (in the first game) of his actionshe did what he thought he had to do, no matter who he had to screw over; and he was willing to take the heat for it with a calm sneer. That he became this sorry self-deprecating person in the sequel rubbed me the wrong wayI didn't mind that he had deep-seated, hidden feelings of remorse; I just didn't like that he was so blatant about it. There was a way to express his true feelings without sacrificing his confidence and vanity, in my opinion. Despite that, I still love Naesala the most.

As for Hinata, I adore him a lot because I view him as a necessary contrast in Team Takumi. Whereas Oboro and Takumi come across as (rightfully) bitter towards Nohr, Hinata is the complete opposite in that he has no apparent ill-will towards them as a people. I like to think that this played a bigger part in his backstoryas in, he was wronged by Nohr in his past like his teammates but ultimately decided that the actions of a few do not represent the whole, and that he would give any Nohrianas he would any Hoshidana chance. Granted, I doubt whoever created his personality and character thought as deeply as that, but I can't help but think there is a reason as to why Hinatano matter how minimal his character is in comparisonwas put on Team Takumi, considering the personalities of his peers. I'm also quite fond of the details in his designthe unpolished scrapes in his armor and the numerous scars on his skin immediately communicate a part of his personalityand this is something I wish more character designs had in this series.

Inigo was someone who I always thought was pretty cool in Awakening, which was the FE I played. Cool design, nice character. I didn't really establish anyone as a favorite at the time. When Fates was hyped up, I thought the trios inclusion was really cool, mainly for Inigo/Severa. Reading his Fates convos, I just really liked him as a character and how he wasn't just an ongoing "failed flirt" joke. C through A-S supports, he wasn't just one front the entire time.

Edit: And if it matters at all, I kind of prefer Laslow over Inigo.

For Catria, I honestly don't know why. Saw her in spotpass Awakening and thought, "she's pretty cute". I still never played Archanea games, but I looked into her character a bit. Seeing her in Heroes, it was just, "Oh it's her! I'll use her because she's cool." That was probably when I made her my second favorite. Then I realized Echoes also had her and loved her so much there. Thanks Hidari.

Edited by KongDude

Sheena is currently my one and only Fire Emblem waifu.  Dat hair, dat voice, dat armor, dat ...axe.  If not for those stupid armor heels, her Heroes appearance would be perfect.

Though, to tell you the truth, the primary reason I like her comes from her performance as a unit (mostly in Heroes), since it's hard for me to get attached to any Fire Emblem characters as anything other than units.  (Her ending in Mystery of the Emblem annoyed me a lot, however, though this might not have happened until after Heroes, where she openly voices her concerns over whether she would be a good ruler.)

I already liked her in Mystery of the Emblem, but it was her Heroes version that truly won my heart.  She was among my very first 5-Star units, and even though she had unfavorable IVs and I made some poor choices for her Skill inheritance because I didn't fully understand it yet (RIP Takumi, whom I sacrificed to Brave!Lyn for Close Counter), I still used her all the same because I wanted to think that I could do something with her high Defense and Resistance.  Now, with better Skills and a Summoner S-Support, I've finally realized my dream of turning her into an ultimate tank.

Makes me cry every time.

My other favorite units are Marty, Gonzalez, and Rinkah, because dangit, playable Brigands/Barbarians need love too!

When it comes to my favorite FE character Takumi, he is the most relatable character I've ever encountered in the works of fiction I've come across. The way how his insecurities and inferiority complex are characterized are quite similar to my own. Instead of dealing with those insecurities with my family, it more so has to do with the relationships with my friends. Growing up in an academically competitive high school, my friends and I were honor students at the time, and they were generally better in academics. This eventually left me feeling that I need to prove myself so that I could feel more recognized amongst my peers. In turn, it also led me to becoming vocal about my insecurities as well, sometimes to the point I called myself "worthless" when I was amongst them. My friends scolded my about that afterward. All of this is similar to Takumi's inferiority complex in regards to his personal strength when compared to his family members like Ryoma has led him to developing a similar drive to prove himself, and such insecurities leads Takumi to becoming vocal about them, and then getting scolded by his peers for acting like that (such as his A-support with Hinoka and his support with Lyn in Warriors). Both Takumi and I are also competitive individuals, and we also tend to feel bad when getting left out at certain fun occasions (like parties for my case, and a family hangout session for Takumi in the Birthright Drama CD) to the point of even feeling useless at times. 

One particular line from Takumi that really stuck out to me was this one:

DxrH7qS.png

The first time I read those words, it really drove the point home to how much I relate to him. While I have now moved on, learned to find value in myself, and stopped fretting about academics and sports accomplishments compared to my high school years, I still feel worried from time to time about the impression I give to others. Sometimes, one little mistake in front of someone and I think to myself, "Crap, this person might not think well of me from now on." Going off from that line in that support, Takumi too is like that. Even if there are times he loses his temper at times, he still means well deep down, and he just wants to be recognized for his accomplishments and what he is as a person. Admittedly, I too can have a short-temper at times, but at the same time, I want to do my best to keep a good impression so that my friends think well of me just like Takumi does.

Other points I like about Takumi are the more commons reasons why he's popular: he's one hell-of-a good unit to use with that Fujin Yumi of his, and he was one of the better written characters in the story from the way he distrusts Corrin (and one of the few to do so for perfectly justified reasons) to the way he develops throughout the story (particularly Birthright).

As for some other favorites, Python is a character I really like because of how amusing he is. Almost of his dialogue cracked me up during my playthrough of Echoes, from his snarky attitude to his casual disposition on things (and let's not forget that hilarious line he makes when you feed him food he doesn't like). I can also relate to his casual attitude a lot, the kind that just wants to live on the present as much as possible without worrying too much on the future unless it was forced on me. I also really liked the chemistry he has with Forsyth: both being polar opposites in regards to their personalities, yet they still get along quite well (Forsyth just so happens to another one of my favorites because of how much I relate to him in regards to his high sensitivity and his motivational attitude).

There's also Forde from Sacred Stones. Admittedly, he's not one of the better cavaliers in Sacred Stones unit-wise, but I still enjoy using him because I really like his character. He's not only very chill, but he's also quite a good brother to Franz and a dedicated knight. I also find his artistic hobby quite endearing to me. He can paint a picture even in the midst of the battle, and even though that is something you wouldn't really expect someone to do, he still just loves doing it. Talk about quite the multitasked! The backstory behind why he loves painting was also quite touching, and it only deepened my appreciation for him.

My massive favouritism for Mia stems from the fact that during my first time playing Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance, she basically carried my team. Her upbeat and cheerful personality, funny supports in PoR (her support with Largo in particular got a good chuckle out of me) and her cute looks add to that.
Fun fact: I got into writing at around the same time I started to play the Tellius games. And I kid you not, the moment Mia popped up, she immediately reminded me of the protagonist of my first story, a young swordswoman who joins a mercenary band by means of prison break. I even remember saying 'That's [insert protag name here]!' out loud when she appeared.

Nowi became my favourite during my first Awakening playthrough. I knew next to nothing about the game, not even that you can marry units to each other (I did assume paired endings for some characters though, like Chrom and Sumia) and I happened to have Nowi paired up with my Avatar because of the stat boosts and the way she could get EXP without expiring her Dragonstone: by dual guarding. I was also really fond of her character and remember many times during the supports with the Avatar that I went 'D'aww'. So I patiently trained Nowi up, she started to eclipse my entire army and sure enough, after the A-support, another support option popped up. I was like 'Yeah, rank S. What's that?' So, me being me, I clicked on it and suddenly, my character was married to Nowi (I also went 'D'awww' during most of the S-support). Enter Nah and Manakete!Morgan, both having inherited Ignis from their father, and I knew that now was the point the game would fall to its knees and beg for mercy. And sure enough, it did.

I don't have particularly complicated reasons for liking Wolt, since he's not a super complicated character.  Wolt's really cares about his liege, and Roy cares for him back, but the way Wolt views his service isn't exactly the way Roy wants him to.  Wolt very obviously wants to be the best he can be for Roy's sake, and I respect that a lot, while Roy just wants him to be a friend while in a stressful position, which is something I can empathize with a lot.

As simple as it is I have a hard time explaining, go me.

My favourite fire emblem character is Sanaki, and my reasoning isn't that special.

I love sassy and mean females. Sanaki definitly belongs to that category. Plus, she also has a lot of character development throughout PoR and RD. Her design is also gorgeous to me. Other characters in the same category (Which I love as well) as this are Lachesis, Clarine, Serra and L'Arachel.

25 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

My favourite fire emblem character is Sanaki, and my reasoning isn't that special.

I love sassy and mean females. Sanaki definitly belongs to that category. Plus, she also has a lot of character development throughout PoR and RD. Her design is also gorgeous to me.

Join the club of the Sanaki fans!
All hail the empress!

Favorite Lord - Sigurd

Sigurd is simply different from all of the other FE lords. His story plays out more like Game of Thrones than Fire Emblem. Though powerful, his idealism, romance, and sense of honor result in his downfall. It's compelling to see him fail, and this more than anything else makes FE4 unforgettable. 

Favorite playable character - Bastian

Bastian is that rare mix of witty and pretentious that I absolutely love. He is eccentric and charismatic while also being a buffoon. And his character design perfectly conveys this.

Favorite Villain - Naesala

This backstabbing bird flipflops more than a politician during their re-election campaign, and he pulls it off with enviable charm. The dude plays a mean game of 4d chess, and it makes for a great addition to the Tellius stories.

One of my favorite characters for Fire Emblem Blazing Sword is Dart. Beyond turning into one of the best units in the game, I enjoy Dart. He has a demeanor I like, where he's a little care free but also seems to remain level headed, he is a courteous man as we see when the pirates rescue Niniaan and Dart asks Lyn for help. He likes to have a good time "I like to raise trouble on land too once in a while" and will sacrifice himself to save an ally in particular Captain Fargus.

27 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Favorite Lord - Sigurd

Sigurd is simply different from all of the other FE lords. His story plays out more like Game of Thrones than Fire Emblem. Though powerful, his idealism, romance, and sense of honor result in his downfall. It's compelling to see him fail, and this more than anything else makes FE4 unforgettable. 

That is true, he died for his ideals, this was very special on Sigurd.
My other favourite is Caeldori, I liker her character and support conversations. She works a lot for being perfect and is not too perfect, she is a hardworking and kindful person, but she can be strict if someone do not respect the orders of the army.

Ike and Soren for me. I absolutely adore these two. Main reason being their personalities and their relationship. 

Soren is quite unique as he's quite different from the typical cliche characters fire emblem is known for. He's always completely objective, and he's both intelligent and unnervingly perceptive. He sees things that other characters miss, simply because they're caught up in the moment, and while at the time he gets a lot of flak for his utter lack of tact, in the end he's most often proven right anyway. Soren is more sympathetic than he appears at first glance, but you have to scratch beneath the surface to get to see the real him.

All his negative attitude is justified by his backstory, and he does develop a lot.

Plus, I simply adore the exchange between him and Ike (truth be told I love all the exchanges between them) in the port town of Toha in Crimea, shortly after the Daein occupation.

And I just can't get enough of his witty remarks.

I love Ike almost for the same reasons as Soren. He's so sassy, blunt, hot headed and naive. Making him more enjoyable then most other Fire Emblem lords. Plus his upbringing story is my all time favourite. 

Julia: Her few interactions she has with Seliph have a certain charm to them (and no I don't mean that in a weird way) and the resolution she shows at the end of the game after she regains her memories is something I quite like about her. Also? while her design is quite simple both her Heroes and FE4 art look quite good. Oh and let's not forget how good of a unit she is. The moment she gets the Nosferatu tome you can put her in the middle of a bunch of enemies and she'll destroy all of them, it's so much fun to do!

Edited by Hekselka

My favorite character is Robin. I like their design, and although they might be a bit of an everyman, they do have more personality than just a self-insert (of course, I feel that way about Corrin too, although I've never played New Mystery so I don't know about Kris.) I love seeing their strategic minds, and how close they grow to everyone in the cast. They go out of their way to make sure everyone lives, which makes up with the player's attitude as well. I also really like the idea of a chosen villain, especially in a series with a lot of chosen heroes. 

For Caeda, I've already explained in another thread, so I'll just quote it here.

On 09/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, henrymidfields said:

Caeda, for being a kickass yet elegant female character and princess from Nintendo. Sure she's not the earliest action girl (Is that Samus?), but she came when my other faves (Misty and Leaf from Pokemon, Paula from Earthbound, and ninja/samurai!Impa) and other good ones (Dixie Kong or Mia/Sheba from Golden Sun) didn't exist yet, Zelda was yet to break her original mould (thankfully she got better), and Peach was a damsel (and stayed a damsel scrappy joke all for the majority of the time). (Samus, on the other hand, is in a genre that doesn't interest me. Sorry, Samus fans.) Caeda also sounds like a cool sister in the few moments I played Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so that's another plus.

I'll write about the other once I finish work later today.