Reasons for liking your favourite character?

Lau

12 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Of course its not canonical. No one in Awakening has a canonical pairing. The closest we have is Chrom and Sumia which is heavily implied.

Yes, but there's a difference. Some pairings are just straight up impossible because it contradicts with a lot of things, and some have the potential to work out. Tharja cannot be with Robin, Henry, Virion, or Gaius. The latter two explained that Tharja's hexes have no effect on them, and Henry can straight up deflect curses easily, showing that he's more powerful than Tharja. So the case of how Noire's upbringing has been no longer works.

Or things like Libra and Cherche. Libra clearly shows to be able to understand Minerva, but the support with Gerome has it that Libra can't understand her. 

Because the supports are copy paste, it paints the picture of some pairings really not possible to work out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yes, but there's a difference. Some pairings are just straight up impossible because it contradicts with a lot of things, and some have the potential to work out. Tharja cannot be with Robin, Henry, Virion, or Gaius. The latter two explained that Tharja's hexes have no effect on them, and Henry can straight up deflect curses easily, showing that he's more powerful than Tharja. So the case of how Noire's upbringing has been no longer works.

Yeah, Henry and Noire supports make no sense.

Guess it's a good thing Morgan's mother support is so vague after all.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Mhm. It's because of how some of these support explanations makes no sense that it destroys the canonicity of their relationship. Hence why Robin and Tharja will never work out. Which works for me because I ship Robin and Lucina. XP

My love for Saul is indescribable. I find him to be attractive, and I love his personality. It's pretty ironic that he's my favorite Fire Emblem character since he's a priest and I'm an atheist. But meh, who cares? Also, I have a huge huge huge weakness for flirty characters, so that also helps.

I'm also known on Reddit for liking him as well. <3

49 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Sadly, it's because whoever wrote Noire/father's support wanted to get a certain message across, but screwed up spectacularly.  It's a pity, because I really would've loved to see how Noire and her father interacted with each other, instead of what we got.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Sadly, it's because whoever wrote Noire/father's support wanted to get a certain message across, but screwed up spectacularly.  It's a pity, because I really would've loved to see how Noire and her father interacted with each other, instead of what we got.

Yeah, that's another thing. Noire's father support was less about her and her father and more on her mother still. 

Lyn is my favorite character because she felt like my partner that I could rely on, there is also her sense of pride and wanting to prove herself after her clan scattering that appealed to me but despite wanting to get revenge she's willing to set that aside to help her friends which is really appeals to me. Also a lesser important detail her aesthetic it's fucking amazing to me the tribal feel of it really meshes with her character greatly.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Now that I think about it, didn't Kaga write an entire story about escaping Leonster with Lachesis and Finn? 

The entirety of the translated text of the Leonster's Fall story, including the parts with Lachesis and Finn are here.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:08 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Xander isn't necessarily insane either, but his story and support versions contrast heavily.

Some would level the accusation of poor writing, stemming partly from each aspect of the game being written in a vacuum, as the fault of this. Nothing intentional concerning insanity.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:56 PM, Slumber said:

Also him trying to vocalize his feelings to Titania is funny.

I once heard someone call it, in retrospect, a parody of the confessions of Awakening and Fates.

Also, you didn't touch on Brom-Boyd, that support gets surprisingly a little philosophical with him. Even though I don't like Mist only having a paired ending with Boyd, I do think he is still a good character. All of the Three Brothers are.

Why have I elevated myself into being the resident Sephiran devotee? Well because I can. And two, I'm an intellectual type. Like Sephiran had long done, I observe the world from afar, rarely experiencing the suffering myself (although Sephiran surely had many personal woes), but I still offer my intellectual lament over things and can understand Sephiran's desire to see all the suffering gone. This is why I was drawn to Sephiran, but my reasons for liking him have increased over time, including how he stands out vis a vis other FE villains.

My intellectual non-athletic nature draws me to other magic users besides Sephiran: Merric, Linde, Lucius, Canas, Pent, Soren. Erk, Knoll, Rhys, Bastian, Pelleas, and Sanaki are all good too. Micaiah- well lords are inherently different, I don't mind her, I really like certain good aspects, but I'm not a HUGE fan of hers. Of these, I love Soren the most by far, since he reminds me of myself, and has certainly been influential over me, although I think I'm closer to Pelleas in being quite pathetic and no master tactician. Lucius was the first magic user I ever fell for though, since I started with FE7. And even though I haven't played FE5 yet, I'm already a fan of Asbel.

And of course, I love Bramimond for so little we see of him. Why is because what he represents in lore for FE. We are told time and again Dark Magic corrupts and is difficult to master? So why bother studying it? Bramimond is someone who actually went down the dangerous path and managed to master darkness in full.

He has implied clairvoyance, godly destructive powers embodied in Apocalypse, a measure of omniscience, immortality of age, can seal powerful things, teleportation, and of course, the power to resurrect- which is not to be underestimated by FE standards. Yes other dark characters, overwhelmingly villains can do some of the same like teleporting, but Bramimond is the only true uncorrupted master of darkness. Yes he lost his personality, but I'm fine with such a sacrifice. As a monk lives a life of poverty, community and celibacy to attain union with the divine, so Bramimond made serious sacrifices to attain the ultimate state of being one with darkness. And in spite of the sacrifices, he was able to keep his all-important memories, mind and free will intact- something other would-be masters of the dark who were once decent people like Gharnef, Nergal, and Lyon failed to do. Bramimond thus deserves a special place in FE.

This isn't to say I'm only into mages. I like plenty of others too. I've recently come to see Skrimir as glorious because of his character development in RD is now so apparent to me. Zihark, well until I read over Rutger's supports, I think he is the best Navarre by a landslide since he isn't overly secretive and edgy. Naesala, Dheginsea and Reyson are amazing as well. And Ranulf is just lovable. As you can see, Tellius is my preferred cast.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My intellectual non-athletic nature draws me to other magic users besides Sephiran: Merric, Linde, Lucius, Canas, Pent, Soren. Erk, Knoll, Rhys, Bastian, Pelleas, and Sanaki are all good too. Micaiah- well lords are inherently different, I don't mind her, I really like certain good aspects, but I'm not a HUGE fan of hers. Of these, I love Soren the most by far, since he reminds me of myself, and has certainly been influential over me, although I think I'm closer to Pelleas in being quite pathetic and no master tactician. Lucius was the first magic user I ever fell for though, since I started with FE7. And even though I haven't played FE5 yet, I'm already a fan of Asbel.

I've never understood how the class of a unit draws one to their character since the two are rather different. Also, being a mage lord doesn't automatically make one inferior to non-lord mages so I don't understand the logic in that. Not saying you have to like her more than the other mages you've listed nor do you need a logical reason to like/dislike a character but since you've explicitly said you try to use logic in doing so, that's why I'm questioning the logic you're using. 

OT: I'm personally a fan of the wise-old man archetype which is why I'm pretty big into Tauroneo. 

Edited by Icelerate

7 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I've never understood how the class of a unit draws one to their character since the two are rather different. Also, being a mage lord doesn't automatically make one inferior to non-lord mages so I don't understand the logic in that. Not saying you have to like her more than the other mages you've listed nor do you need a logical reason to like/dislike a character but since you've explicitly said you try to use logic in doing so, that's why I'm questioning the logic you're using. 

It isn't so much the class as it is the personality types common to it I could say. Notice I didn't say I loved/liked everyone in the group. Lute and from what I recall of Miriel, while the former isn't bad, both aren't so appealing to me. Ricken, maybe I viewed 2 of his Supports, just the male ones I think. I distinctly remember liking the Henry because it touches on the minutiae of magic's functioning, which fascinates me for my Brammy love is built entirely around it. Whereas Gregor left no such impression and the idea of character who just insists on growing up/being taller/not being treated like a kid is not so appealing. I'm also a bit eh on Tharja precisely because she is partly to blame for the reduction of Dark Magic in FE13 to hexes and curses and generic evil stuff when 6-10 made a point of trying to be nuanced about it, a point arguably going back to Jugdral. The only trace of Dark Magic being complicated and not inherently bad is Robin being able to turn their Grimaness to good, but that hardly counts for Dark Magic as a whole. I also dislike FE13 mages for wearing those witch/wizard hats, they're too generic and FE has never had them before, I prefer the more professional academic and realistic look without them.

Then again, I forgot to mention I love Tormod and nothing about him or Sanaki is typical mage, and not everything I love about Soren or Bastian relates to magic, heck Bastian is liked for nothing related to magic at all. It's more a fluke they're in the grouping here than not. If Bastian was a Bow Paladin but his personality was otherwise the same, I would still like him.

As for Micaiah, well maybe her being thrusted into the spotlight being a co-protag of RD is what makes her different. Maybe the lack of true Supports in RD hurts her- but I was never hung up on this issue with the game and try not to be. Canas is free to be Canas in a rather simple and light if not comical- light =/ comical all the time- Micaiah doesn't have any chances to just be herself? I'm not quite so sure how to explain myself here.

I will say that while Jill is a 10/10 for character development in PoR, all her Supports are serious and we never get much a chance to see the day to day Jill. I do not, want casual fun flirt fest with every man in Tellius, but just something, one thing, to show her when she isn't so burdened by thoughts about racism and what she was told growing up and her father and betraying him. Micaiah, well one of her most memorable moments for many is that "father of Sothe's children" quip. Does Micaiah have a snarky sense of humor? We don't know since Part 1 is all serious Daein liberation, Part 3 all serious "how can I possibly oppose a foe magnitudes greater than me which I don't really want to fight?", Part 4 has her becoming a voicebox rental agency and focused on saving the world. FE should be first and foremost serious in plot and general tone, but humans aren't always serious and you often can't have a complete human without showing a more relaxed side to them. Maybe if Micaiah and Nolan took a trip to a bookstore and Micaiah and Nolan chatted about what each was looking for, then she would be a bit better? Not to call her bad of course. Yet Edward-Micaiah I wouldn't want always relaxed, since Edward is rather boyish in personality while Micaiah is 24-28, which makes room for a serious moment or two where she treats him like son/little brother using her greater maturity. It would still show more of her than we just see in the main plot. Sanaki gets no supports like Micaiah, but nonetheless was able to weave sobriety and joviality into her character over PoR and RD, despite having less screentime overall.

On 28 januari 2018 at 1:50 AM, Arthur97 said:

I think it wouldn't be out of character for Henry to let his wife hex him despite being able to stop her because he finds Tharja dominating him to be hot. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think it wouldn't be out of character for Henry to let his wife hex him despite being able to stop her because he finds Tharja dominating him to be hot. 

Maybe, but he should be able to easily stop her from hexing Noire without taking her stuff.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then again, I forgot to mention I love Tormod and nothing about him or Sanaki is typical mage, and not everything I love about Soren or Bastian relates to magic, heck Bastian is liked for nothing related to magic at all. It's more a fluke they're in the grouping here than not. If Bastian was a Bow Paladin but his personality was otherwise the same, I would still like him.

As for Micaiah, well maybe her being thrusted into the spotlight being a co-protag of RD is what makes her different. Maybe the lack of true Supports in RD hurts her- but I was never hung up on this issue with the game and try not to be. Canas is free to be Canas in a rather simple and light if not comical- light =/ comical all the time- Micaiah doesn't have any chances to just be herself? I'm not quite so sure how to explain myself here.

I will say that while Jill is a 10/10 for character development in PoR, all her Supports are serious and we never get much a chance to see the day to day Jill. I do not, want casual fun flirt fest with every man in Tellius, but just something, one thing, to show her when she isn't so burdened by thoughts about racism and what she was told growing up and her father and betraying him. Micaiah, well one of her most memorable moments for many is that "father of Sothe's children" quip. Does Micaiah have a snarky sense of humor? We don't know since Part 1 is all serious Daein liberation, Part 3 all serious "how can I possibly oppose a foe magnitudes greater than me which I don't really want to fight?", Part 4 has her becoming a voicebox rental agency and focused on saving the world. FE should be first and foremost serious in plot and general tone, but humans aren't always serious and you often can't have a complete human without showing a more relaxed side to them. Maybe if Micaiah and Nolan took a trip to a bookstore and Micaiah and Nolan chatted about what each was looking for, then she would be a bit better? Not to call her bad of course. Yet Edward-Micaiah I wouldn't want always relaxed, since Edward is rather boyish in personality while Micaiah is 24-28, which makes room for a serious moment or two where she treats him like son/little brother using her greater maturity. It would still show more of her than we just see in the main plot. Sanaki gets no supports like Micaiah, but nonetheless was able to weave sobriety and joviality into her character over PoR and RD, despite having less screentime overall.

Bastian's lines are annoying to read through so I personally dislike him and a lot of what he says is stupid such as saying in Ike's face that he planned to kill him because he used to be suspicious of him. Also, as a retainer, he's not very fleshed out unlike Geoffrey and Lucia. Then there is the fact his plan in part 2 is pretty stupid. And this guy is supposed to be smart... 

I've never understood the criticism of Micaiah's being a bad character because she doesn't have 100% of the game to herself. If anything, it is how a character uses the screen time that is given which makes them good, not how much of it they're given. A protagonist who doesn't have the world revolving around them 24/7 is a good thing in my book as it allows more depth to be given to other characters. If a character leaves people with the impression that they want to see them more often, that means that character has piqued interest which would mean the character in question is interesting.

I don't remember much of Canas except for being very studious and a nice guy. I think I get your criticism though and that might be a consequence of a lack of supports most likely. Even base conversations are intrinsically intertwined with the plot which is very serious so having more casual conversations would be off. 

I think that's an issue of Jill and Micaiah being very serious individuals who are focused on their job and don't really have many desires outside of that. Also, wouldn't casual support conversations break immersion due to sounding misplaced in a serious situation? Imagine you're in a dire situation and then you decide to have a casual chat about your hobbies, it just doesn't sit right with me. Though contextually, the support conversations in RD make no sense as it feels like the second person didn't understand what the first person said.

Sanaki acts quite silly, at least in PoR, but other than that, I don't see what you mean. Though I think she was portrayed to be exceptionally childish on the ship which is bad writing because she's later shown to be wise beyond her years.  

Female Corrin is my favorite for a couple of reasons.

Her design: What can I say she's pretty, but I also feel her design perfectly shows the duality of her heritage with her default armor being a blend of Nohrian and Hoshidan colors.

And the Nohr Noble is sexy edgy trash and I love it.

Her character: This is going to mostly refer to her Birthright and Revelation characterizations as I detest Conquest Corrin with a passion but I like how Corrin starts out utterly naive and idealistic as she should, but grows with her experiences during the war and while she doesn't lose her idealism and sweet nature she does mature. I also like how in Birthright and Revelation Corrin is willing to do the right thing even when she'll have to face her beloved siblings in the process. Speaking of siblings I like how despite them being total strangers to her she goes out of her way to forge a bond with each of her Hoshidan siblings including Takumi who's been nothing but a huge jerk to her for most of the story.

Her role in the story: This is going to be very unpopular but Corrin is my favorite way they've handled the avatar. By going all in and making them the protagonist. It enabled me to have a stronger connection with her because she matters,she's important,she has a very personal stake in the story right from the get go and the plot is shaped by her and vice versa. Wheras Robin is very disconnected from Awakening's story for most of the game so I had no real investment in them, they were just there.

Tharja: Before I played Awakening, I heard a lot of discussion over r this character called Tharja. I wondered why do people feel so mixed about her? When I play for the game for myself, I  enjoyed her, bring unconventional compared to their traditional Fire Emblem character. She isn't a sympathetic character, but I find her to be interesting. Her attitude towards everyone, her snarky behavior towards others and deep down she really does want to do the right thing. Also gameplay-wise, she can clear most maps by herself.