Fire Emblem 4 Randomizer

jespoke

1 year later note: YUNE does FE4 randomizing better these days. Don't go using this one.

Over Christmas, i decided I wanted to make a proper FE4 randomizer as opposed to the crappy one I had made and posted to Reddit last summer. Now I have completed a playthrough of it to find and fix all the bugs I could find, and then fixed some more bugs with the help of some people on Reddit, I thought people over here would like it as well.

So here we have it: Jespoke's FE4 Randomizer 2.1!

And here is a link to the source code: https://github.com/jespoketheepic/JespokesFE4randomizer

Randomize options:

Classes
Promotions
Base Stats
Growth Rates
Skills
Holy Blood
Holy Blood Growth Bonuses
Holy Weapon Bonuses
Weapons: Might, Hit, Weight

Other things:
Various weapons are shuffled around and edited to match the randomized classes.
Sword skills can be used and inherited by anyone, and holy weapons can be sold and bought.
There is an option to nerf your own units' growth rates, in case you want to go ham on the OP options.
There is an option to slightly rebalance weapons
A few small things are edited to stop anything from breaking.
If you run into anything weird, please tell me so I can try to fix it.

The randomizer is made to work with both headered and unheadered roms, with or without the Project Naga translation patch.

I want to thank the people in Lamia's FE4 stuff for finding/compiling a lot of the locations in the rom to edit to get everything to work, as well as the FE Binary people who made the Sword Skills patch.

Please leave any feedback, suggestions, and fun results you may have ~

Updates:

Update 2.1.2: 

• Fixed an issue that came up when using high difficulty settings without randomizing growths.
  • Added 2 new options for Holy Blood allocation: 33% Major 66% Minor, and 4 Minors.

Update 2.1.3:

• Closed the loop created by 2.1.2

Update 2.1.4:

• Fixed the 2.1.2 problem (hopefully completely this time)
  • The option to have Holy Blood not give growths is now actually considered a valid input.
  • Added some stuff to make issues that get the randomizer stuck easier to pinpoint.

Update 2.1.5:

• Fixed Pursuit rates not being as advertised.
  • Added option to give you a guaranteed Troubadour if you want.

Update 2.1.6:

• Kids and their substitutes now have the same classes, which means substitutes will no longer join with weapons they can't use.
  • The guaranteed healer option now also gives you a guaranteed cleric in the second generation.
  • Fixed the Seliph Holy Blood randomizing function doing exactly the opposite of what it was intended to, which could freeze the randomizer.

Update 2.1.7:

• Tine, Lene, and Nanna now match with their own substitutes, instead of those of each other.
  • That also fixes another problem introduced by the switcheroo, that caused saves to not load and the boss of the prologue to act weird.
Edited by jespoke
Added the logs for all the updates that have happened.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit, this is awesome! I'll go try this out right away and leave feedback later.

EDIT: Alright. Let's see. My anti-virus immediatly reacted and is scanning the thing now. Also, it doesn't seem to recognize my rom. I even put it in the same folder as the randomizer and it still didn't recognize the name.

Edited by Michelaar

45 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Holy shit, this is awesome! I'll go try this out right away and leave feedback later.

EDIT: Alright. Let's see. My anti-virus immediatly reacted and is scanning the thing now. Also, it doesn't seem to recognize my rom. I even put it in the same folder as the randomizer and it still didn't recognize the name.

I can see why antivirus might be wary of an amateur-made exe file.

As for the ROM, are you sure you spelled it right, capital letters and all, added the .sfc or .smc file extention, and then press enter?

10 hours ago, jespoke said:

I can see why antivirus might be wary of an amateur-made exe file.

As for the ROM, are you sure you spelled it right, capital letters and all, added the .sfc or .smc file extention, and then press enter?

Yup. I did all of that.

4 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Yup. I did all of that.

Are you on Mac or Linux? If the problem lies there I have no idea how to go about fixing it.

I made a small tweak so could you download the new version, rename the rom FE4, place the randomizer, Names.txt and FE4 in an otherwise empty folder, try to run it again, and tell me what error it gives you now.

Edit: I have another idea in mind, but I want to see how the first one works out first.

Edited by jespoke

46 minutes ago, jespoke said:

Are you on Mac or Linux? If the problem lies there I have no idea how to go about fixing it.

I made a small tweak so could you download the new version, rename the rom FE4, place the randomizer, Names.txt and FE4 in an otherwise empty folder, try to run it again, and tell me what error it gives you now.

Edit: I have another idea in mind, but I want to see how the first one works out first.

I'm on windows. I shall try this.

1 hour ago, jespoke said:

This one actually worked! I'm now going to try playing it, i'll report any bugs i'll find.

I assume this is a bug. Not sure what caused it. Doesn't seem too harmful, just thought you'd like to see it.

LOVING this thing by the way. Never thought I'd say the phrase "Noishe is really good!" Hero Quan is fun too.

fe4r1000.png

6 hours ago, jespoke said:

That's the boss of the prologue right? Is it only the portrait that is wrong? I don't even know where that is stored... Time for some research I guess, tomorrow when I have time.

Could potentially be related to the Project Naga patch, but yeah. His portrait is correct when he's speaking to Gandolf. He did have Ayra's name and death quote in battle though. But Ayra was recruited with no issues later, so it didn't hurt anything.

I found the problem. I had skipped a number somewhere, so Tine, Lene, and Nanna will have wrong classes, and the next thing immediately after them in the code; Gerrard's character data, got Nanna's class inserted as his character ID instead.

Yesterday i tried to randomize the game, and i went successfull, but for an issue in some inventories: Noish always gets an iron bow (regardless the class), Arden gets an heal staff, Lex a Killer bow and Quan a javeline; Noish, Arden and Quan all get another weapon (ex. Noishe gets another bow if his class is a bowman, or Quan gets an ake if his class is a great knight), but Lex doesn't get any, it's stuck with a killer bow that cannot use. I arrived only at turn 3 of the prologue,and so i don't know if the issue repeat itself in other characters (also i got the Gerrard portrait problem, in my case it has the Ced one).

EDIT: i didn't check the original rom, which was a randomized rom too :facepalm:

The Gerrard glitch is still a thing btw.

Edited by Iggy/Safer

1 minute ago, jespoke said:

Are you sure you are using the 2.1.7 version? The Gerrard glitch is not showing up in my tests anymore.

Didn't even noticed there was this new version, sorry

I'm back! I'm still on 2.1.6, so if you've seen this already and tweaked it in 2.1.7, I apologize.

I'll probably come back to edit this post after I recruit him to let you know if he goes back to a normal class or not. Game's not frozen though, but we'll just see about that I suppose.

EDIT: Nothing changed after recruiting him. Tried using him in the arena to see what happened. He had a social knight animation, but he just held up and never attacked with his wind tome. Also his stats are insane. 30 mag, spd and def. I can't even find a class with caps that high, so I have no idea what he was supposed to be. Before he turned into missing no he had a general's map sprite. Maybe next chapter he'll normalize in the home castle, but it's not like I can't finish the game with one less unit.

fe4r1002.png

fe4r1003.png

Edited by Cornguy

Whoa ! Very good job indeed, I finished a playthrough yesterday and it was really amazing.

I had some problems however : For a reason I don't understand, my changelog wasn't telling me the right weapon mastery of my childrens (For exemple, lester was bowknight and was displayed as "Sword B, Lance C", which I supposed to be Paladin). Maybe you've already changed that in the new version, I did play on the 2.1.6. Also Seliph didn't inherit any sacred blood - because Sigurd had like Loptyr/Vala- which was pretty fun to see, he was so weak compared to the other childrens. On the other hand, Arthur came with 80 hp at level 1, that was... yeah, broken.

I found also that you can "duplicate" the Tyrfing because you can transmit it to anyone, then you can get another one in Chapter 10 if you talk to the bishop... but this is the same weapon, with same uses and kills, and if you save and reload, it disappear. I think you can do that with the Gae Bolg too. It's pretty fun.

Maybe you can make Arion, Arvis, Brian and Langbalt drop their holy weapons ? It would be really amazing to use Valflamme or Mjollnir in the game.

Anyway, great work and thank you !

And not sure if it's a bug or not, but my Seliph got no holy blood, i know i read somewhere that he can't any type of holy blood, but i also remember it saying he will get a random one, so i don't get why he got nothing V__V 

I randomised a rom and the results look pretty funny but usable (I should be able to have chapter 6 forsetti Ulster which will be fun), I might make an lp out of it as while I said I was done with FE4 for a while after I binge played it earlier in the month, a randomised rom will make pairings even more fun to do.

Yo, I'm loving it so far but I just want to ask before I end up screwing up my pairings.

Are kids classes the same as their subs? As I downloaded a spoilerfree log and they don't match up. Which should I trust, the weapons profficencies it says in the spoilerfree log or use the sub's classes in the full changelog to work out what the kids will be like class wise?

Hey, some people showed up while i was gone!

The spoilerfree log was super outdated, the actual classes are the ones listed with the substitutes in the full log. I have a fix in mind for a new update.

Seliphs blood is STILL causing problems... The code that handles it is a candidate for the ugliest i have ever written... I think i have to remake it from scratch...

As for Holy Weapons, i already had a ton of trouble with the limited item slots as is. It would have to come at the cost of getting less weapons other places in the game.

Altering recruitment in FE4 is a massive pain, ends up pretty janky, and that i don't have any experience with.

Edited by jespoke