Fire Emblem 4 Randomizer

jespoke

Okay, so as predicted, the game didn't break and I proceeded as normal. I'm on Chapter 6 now, and there's something weird that I was hoping someone could address.

So in my changelog, Seliph was designated to be a Sword Armor. Not the best of classes, but I was actually happy, because it means that Sigurd's major Odo blood and legendary silver sword could be passed down. However, Seliph is an axe fighter with no holy blood in my game... I knew Seliph couldn't inherit Hezul blood (from Deirdre) but I thought Odo would be fine. He didn't get the random holy bloods the randomizer states he will gain, either. The changelog had never been outright wrong before, and I'm wondering if this is a thing for all playthroughs using this randomizer. Honestly, I was relying on Seliph getting major Odo and using the Balmung to shred enemies... Attached is my changelog for the randomizer, and as you can see at the bottom Seliph is stated to be a sword armor.

FULL changelog.txt

Edited by Smasher4321

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion: add an option to make it so that physical classes always have higher STR growth than MAG growth and vice-versa. Basically after randomizing, check if that's already the case and if not swap them.

1 hour ago, Enaluxeme said:

I have a suggestion: add an option to make it so that physical classes always have higher STR growth than MAG growth and vice-versa. Basically after randomizing, check if that's already the case and if not swap them.

I second this, some of my units have like 70% MAG and 10% STR and they're completely melee. It'd be nice to choose whether or not that would happen.

Jesus, I'm posting way too many things here, but there is just a ton of things to address.

Alright, so my Ced is a Missing No. just like one of the other users who posted on this thread. Does anyone know why this happens, and is there anyway to fix it? Broken stats he might have, but putting him in the arena softlocked my game, so I doubt I can even use him for anything. That really sucks, because he had major Nova blood and was supposed to be a Paladin... it was going to be beautiful, and now he's some weird jumble of pixels.

EDIT: Just checked, he has 0 movement. I won't be able to use him at all, then.

Edited by Smasher4321

K so I put FE4, The Randomizer and Names.txt in a folder and tried to open the rando with wine (I'm on a mac) and nothing happens. Any advice?

34 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

K so I put FE4, The Randomizer and Names.txt in a folder and tried to open the rando with wine (I'm on a mac) and nothing happens. Any advice?

I am using Windows to run the randomizer, so unfortunately I can't help you there. Sorry.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:08 PM, Smasher4321 said:

Jesus, I'm posting way too many things here, but there is just a ton of things to address.

Alright, so my Ced is a Missing No. just like one of the other users who posted on this thread. Does anyone know why this happens, and is there anyway to fix it? Broken stats he might have, but putting him in the arena softlocked my game, so I doubt I can even use him for anything. That really sucks, because he had major Nova blood and was supposed to be a Paladin... it was going to be beautiful, and now he's some weird jumble of pixels.

EDIT: Just checked, he has 0 movement. I won't be able to use him at all, then.

Did you try resetting the game after recruiting him? Ced in particular is tricky because he is a green unit iirc, but in my test run resetting fixed it.

Also, did you end up with other inaccuaracies in the changelog, or just Seliph? The problems in his special case handling may be bigger than i thought...

Edited by jespoke

9 hours ago, jespoke said:

Did you try resetting the game after recruiting him? Ced in particular is tricky because he is a green unit iirc, but in my test run resetting fixed it.

Also, did you end up with other inaccuaracies in the changelog, or just Seliph? The problems in his special case handling may be bigger than i thought...

Thank you for replying! Yeah, I reset the game a few times after recruiting Ced, but it wasn't fixed, unfortunately. If I enter combat with him, the game freezes, and occasionally even selecting him triggers a soft lock.

Seliph wasn't the only inaccuracy. Leif was supposed to be a Archer Cav, but he ended up a Sword Armor. Altenna wasn't listed at all in the changelog, and Julia was supposed to be a fire mage, yet she is a wind mage. I think that's all of the major inconsistencies. Hopefully this helps!

EDIT: Some more inaccuracies;

Janne/Nanna was supposed to be a bard, but she was a fire mage.

Laylea/Leen was supposed to be a fire mage, but she is a dancer so it might've been intentional.

Linda/Tinny didn't even have a base class; however, her promotion was supposed to be Master Knight, so I'm assuming she was a Prince or Princess. She is a Dragon Knight.

Femina/Fee is supposed to be a Dragon Knight, but she is a fire mage.

Lana is a priest when stated to be a wind mage, but I selected that option so it's to be expected.

Iucharba also doesn't even have a class or anything at all listed; he was a Bard, although I didn't recruit him.

That seems to be all of them in the second generation, I didn't notice any problems in the first generation cast at all.

Edited by Smasher4321

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so I played through to around chapter 9. Possibly my fault for choosing bad settings, but there were a lot of characters in the 1st generation that had complete garbage growths. 

Chapter 6 was hilarious. Celice was a priest. Mana was a priest. Rodney was... a priest. And Rondalvan was a thief with the kind of level 1 garbage stats that Dew starts with.

Tristan was a dragon knight and Dimna was an axe figther. And Oifaye is was a mage knight who can promote to paladin at level 20 even though i said, promot only to same weapon use classes.

Celice later promoted to master knight so thumbsup for that.

Problem: Sety starts with a Duke Knight sprite on the map, garbled dots in the status screen. Zero movement and the game freezes if you attack with him. Major Tordo and Hezul (makes sense considering his parents). And he can use C staffs, B fire, garbled sprite thunder,  A wind, garbled sprite light and and C dark.  Probably just garbage data with the randomizer selecting a class outside the range in the ROM?

Not complaining but its funny how I got so many flyers and priests in this one. And three axe knights in generation 1. The game is a lot harder with barely any mounted units and having barely any melee units in chapter 6 and 7. Also a lot of melee units had very low HP. Like, less than 30 at level 10, so the game played more like Fates where you can't just tank entire armies.

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 16.41.24.png

Edited by Mr.Tickles

On 02/07/2018 at 5:07 PM, Mr.Tickles said:

Problem: Sety starts with a Duke Knight sprite on the map, garbled dots in the status screen. Zero movement and the game freezes if you attack with him. Major Tordo and Hezul (makes sense considering his parents). And he can use C staffs, B fire, garbled sprite thunder,  A wind, garbled sprite light and and C dark.  Probably just garbage data with the randomizer selecting a class outside the range in the ROM?

Have you tried resetting your game? Like using the in-game save feature then hitting the reset button on your emulator?

On 10/6/2018 at 8:28 AM, jespoke said:

The idea was to let him inherit the holy blood that he can do, and give him random ones in place of the ones he can't. But when i fixed a big bug, i may have made a smaller one that overwrites Seliph's holy blood again. 

Are you sure your rom was a clean/project naga one? Not loading the prologue is pretty severe.

Sorry for taking long. I solved the problem... It wasn't a clean rom but now it works and I love it!! Thanks

• 3 months later...

Very cool project, it's been pretty fun to play through. I noticed a few inconveniences though. So I made it to Gen 2 with no problems, but once I try to make an in chapter save the game just locks up and when I reset it says "No Data" in that save slot. I saw in the changelog that having 2 holy weapons inherited can "mess up the save", so I tried selling one of Lewyn's (Forseti/Valkyrie) to see if that would fix it but it didn't. It worked all through gen 1 so idk what's up, but at least I can just use savestates. Also Seliph didn't have any holy blood, Sigurd had major Loptyr and Deirdre has Minor Ulir. There's also the Broken Tyrfing in his inventory when checking the blacksmith as the 8th item, I had just left it in storage when I finished Chapter 5.

I also saw that same Quan Gae Bolg freeze that someone else mentioned and Ethlyn using her Iron sword when she was a Great Knight.

Update: I just needed to deposit Seliph's extra item to get saving working again. I also cheated and found out Leif just got Ethlyn's rings and not a Thunder to start off with, unfortunate but manageable.

Attached the save and change log.

FE4.srm

FULL changelog.txt

Also Johalvier/iucharba had 22 speed when he spawned (1 above the class cap) and when I loaded the save he ended up with just 6, the class base. 

Spoiler

FE4024.png.ac4426a94bd81994355bee2f3cc0dfb6.pngFE4025.png.c8a7daf05bec67b06204041498ff73a5.png

Edited by Flametix
resloved

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to randomize four times, it ended up working everytime until i get to play. I choose sigurd or anyone else, and the game starts glitching and crashes, sometimes it even crashes on the menu. I dont understand why though, .smc rom, patched in english, original name: Fire Emblem 4 English (Gharnef).smc

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, Nahykow said:

I tried to randomize four times, it ended up working everytime until i get to play. I choose sigurd or anyone else, and the game starts glitching and crashes, sometimes it even crashes on the menu. I dont understand why though, .smc rom, patched in english, original name: Fire Emblem 4 English (Gharnef).smc

This randomizer works with the Project Naga patch, not the Gharnef patch.

You should consider if you want to use this one or YUNE. This one has some wilder options, but YUNE is a smoother and more stable randomizer.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...