Monster Hunter World

Ronnie

I pre-ordered this game on Amazon just now. Not sure what to expect but if it's similar to Toukiden 2 then I think I'm good. I'm a sucker for character creation and action RPGs.

I'm so excited for this game. Waiting for it to be out on PC though. I loved MHtri, and it has been a while since I played another monster hunter seriously, but I really want to play this one.  Thinking on using the Insect Glaive first, and then branching out from there. Although I am fairly sure I could always go back to lancing should i need to. It doesn't look like there were many significant changes to lances since MHtri. 

It's not really an action RPG and is far less button mashy than Toukiden/God Eater. There's quite a bit of a learning curve to the game.

Though they have drastically dumbed down the game this entry for the sake of Western appeal.

Edited by The DanMan

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

For a popular series, I kinda expected more people in the discussion.

I don't know if it could be related, but MH World is not coming to a Nintendo console (in fact it's coming to every consoles+PC except for the Switch) and given this is a forum for a Nintendo franchise, this might play a role as to why few people talk about it here. There also might be dirt poor Nintendo/MH fans like me that decided to ignore that World existed because they don't have the money to buy a 400$ console just to play a single game, even if its in a series they appreciate greatly.

MH is also a somewhat niche series outside of Japan, even though Capcom is pulling all the stop to advertise World. The game just released yesterday. Discussion might pick up in the coming weeks.

It could also be that the people who would discuss the game are too busy playing the game to actually post here.

So I tried Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate as my first MH game and could not for the life of me get interested in it, but I've seen some gameplay of this one and it looks pretty fun. How welcoming is it to newcomers?

I tried out demos for the 3DS games but I just wasn't into it. The combat was terribly slow and unsatisfying with the monsters not reacting to my attacks. Items felt clumsy to equip and use. And I spent too much of a fight running toward a blip on the map. And as more of the games came out for 3DS, I couldn't point to anything new besides a new weapon type. All of the unappealing aspects appeared to still be there. I do have a base of friends with which to play the game, so I have no doubt I would come around on those games given time, but with limited experience, they felt truly unappealing. Plus, from what I hear, all the character progression is in the form of finding better equipment and hoping for rare drops. No thanks.

That all having been said, I may finally join my Monster Hunting friends for the PC port of this new game. Because at least this new one looks like a new game.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, Florete said:

So I tried Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate as my first MH game and could not for the life of me get interested in it, but I've seen some gameplay of this one and it looks pretty fun. How welcoming is it to newcomers?

The easiest and the one that has most quality of life features so far. There's also a story.

On 27/1/2018 at 3:52 AM, Florete said:

haven't played it yet but i hear it's the easiest mh yet, both in difficulty and to get into. it is otherwise basically still the same old mh, though.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, LuxSpes said:

I don't know if it could be related, but MH World is not coming to a Nintendo console (in fact it's coming to every consoles+PC except for the Switch) and given this is a forum for a Nintendo franchise, this might play a role as to why few people talk about it here. There also might be dirt poor Nintendo/MH fans like me that decided to ignore that World existed because they don't have the money to buy a 400$ console just to play a single game, even if its in a series they appreciate greatly.

MH is also a somewhat niche series outside of Japan, even though Capcom is pulling all the stop to advertise World. The game just released yesterday. Discussion might pick up in the coming weeks.

It could also be that the people who would discuss the game are too busy playing the game to actually post here.

Most of the Monster Hunter fans I know from this site aren't active on SF anymore and that's like 20+ people, so that too :p

Finally tried the game out yesterday. It's slower than I thought it would be. Character creation was fun, visuals are beautiful, The Handler and my Palico buddy are cute. I think I'll enjoy the game more once I start fighting the big guys. Also a lot of info was dumped on me with armor upgrades and weapons to choose from so it felt daunting. Especially since I came back from class and was pretty sleepy. I went with the twin daggers as they had flashier combos.

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Finally tried the game out yesterday. It's slower than I thought it would be. Character creation was fun, visuals are beautiful, The Handler and my Palico buddy are cute. I think I'll enjoy the game more once I start fighting the big guys. Also a lot of info was dumped on me with armor upgrades and weapons to choose from so it felt daunting. Especially since I came back from class and was pretty sleepy. I went with the twin daggers as they had flashier combos.

monster hunter is more about methodical play than flashy combos. you'll just die a lot if you don't slow it down