Will Knoll end popular due to memes?

Water Mage

With so many people defending Knoll, and claiming that Eirkia stole his tome, I get the feeling that because so many people started to defend him, Knoll will end up known as the guy who had his tome stolen. I get the feeling that Knoll will reach “meme” status of popularity. Kinda like how Luigi is only popular because he’s always number 2 to Mario.

I’m not complaining about this nor am I saying this is a good thing. This is just something I wanted to hear people’s opinions on.

More popular? Yes.
Popular?  Probably not.

For one thing over half the total votes are in.  I'd actually wager 75-80% of the votes are in b/c a lot of people probably already stopped voting.
And of course, most people already decided who they're voting for for the next few days.

But I expect him to surge a bit and be higher than he was in CYL 1.

Knoll already had a bit of meme status and was ranked pretty high among the FE8 cast as a result. Myrrh/L'arachel/Knoll was actually my last guess for the current banner's lineup, since he'd fit right in among characters connected to Magvel's dark history. But I do think this could help contribute further to that.

I doubt it. He'll get more recognition from now on but popularity nah. As much as people got salty he's only the flavor of the month (week if we're being accurate, as soon as the anniversary hits I'm sure most people are going to forget Knoll existed again).

I don't think Knoll is that inherently appealing. He is a little too muted for popular tastes, with a side of depressiveness too. See my little character analysis accompanied by a little commentary by our favorite mod for why this would be. Memes can help, but it is unusual and exceptional when they bring a character to the top.

People including myself were less angry at Eirika for denying Knoll himself's place, and more for denying what Knoll represents. Knoll is male, not really handsome, subdued in personality, not a main character, and not from Awakening/Fates. He meets most if not all of the criteria for belonging to the collective mass of "unpopular" characters, but who are nonetheless citizens of the Fire Emblem universe, each with at least a few fans if not as many as the Populars, and have the right to be represented in Heroes just as much as anyone else.

He’s just another flavor of the week just like Shanna was when she “won” a voting gauntlet. Those 5 Knoll fans will go back to the Shadow Realm after the next banner hits. They’re just being noisy babies now because they claim that Gleipnir was “his tome” when it really wasn’t. It’s another case of those fans claiming that “Character X took character Y’s spot!” which is something that doesn’t really happen in video game development. A noticeable part of the Smash fanbase in particular is notorious for this. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

57 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

He’s just another flavor of the week just like Shanna was when she “won” a voting gauntlet.

She did win, though. It says so in the results.

It's no different than winning by any of the entirely luck-based winning hands in mahjong (tenhou, rinshan kaihou, haitei raoyue, etc.) or drawing all 5 pieces of Exodia (or even Mind Reader + Sheer Cold because your opponent was too dumb to switch out). The game rules specify the win conditions and satisfying those win conditions is a win.

Edited by Ice Dragon

54 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

He’s just another flavor of the week just like Shanna was when she “won” a voting gauntlet. Those 5 Knoll fans will go back to the Shadow Realm after the next banner hits. They’re just being noisy babies now because they claim that Gleipnir was “his tome” when it really wasn’t. It’s another case of those fans claiming that “Character X took character Y’s spot!” which is something that doesn’t really happen in video game development. A noticeable part of the Smash fanbase in particular is notorious for this. 

Yeah, I’ll never understand why people say that Gleipnir was his tome, when it never was. He only happened to be the only dark magic user other than Ewan. If Gleipnir belongs to anyone, is Lyon, being a royal of Grado and a dark magic user to boot. Which makes me realize that Vigarde not using Garm in his battle was a bit of a missed opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Which makes me realize that Vigarde not using Garm in his battle was a bit of a missed opportunity.

They spent all of their budget making the sword animation for the General class and decided they didn't want to do another.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She did win, though. It says so in the results.

It's no different than winning by any of the entirely luck-based winning hands in mahjong (tenhou, rinshan kaihou, haitei raoyue, etc.) or drawing all 5 pieces of Exodia (or even Mind Reader + Sheer Cold because your opponent was too dumb to switch out). The game rules specify the win conditions and satisfying those win conditions is a win.

I’m aware of that. No need to spell it out. The only reason she even made it to the finals was because she Blue-shelled Amelia during the final hour. I’m still bitter about that one in particular. It shows the power of feather mercs, I suppose. You lost me at the mahjong terms, though.

@Water Mage Yes, Vigarde without Garm was a missed opportunity indeed. Well, with Eirika having Gleipnir now and the Sacred Twin weapons attached to royalty in FEH, it would be only natural for Ephraim to have Garm in a future alternate version of him. As for Knoll, they can always give him a FEH-original tome just like Lute. 

3 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Before you even think about making a comment like this in the future, consider whether or not a mod falls under the category of "noisy baby".

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Before you even think about making a comment like this in the future, consider whether or not a mod falls under the category of "noisy baby".

Goodness gracious, I wasn’t mentioning any person in particular. People are too easily offended nowadays, it seems. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

Just now, Lord-Zero said:

Goodness gracious, I wasn’t mentioning any person in particular. People are too easily offended nowadays, it seems. 

When you make stupid blanket statements, expect equally stupid responses.

Or, in really blunt terms: DON'T DO THAT.

Other people have said this, but no, probably not. I would be happy if he did since I personally love Knoll. SS was my first FE and I loved dark magic from the get-go, so being my very first true dark mage in an FE game I'm always here for the not-so-popular characters like him getting some attention. 

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

When you make stupid blanket statements, expect equally stupid responses.

Or, in really blunt terms: DON'T DO THAT.

Good grief. I don’t know what a stupid blanket statement means but you were offended. No need for the caps. I get it. I’ll try to be better with my choice of words next time I’m irritated.

If I were to put it in other terms, many of their claims of “stolen spot” and/or “she took his tome” rubbed me off the wrong way due to the fact that the tome was never his to begin with. If he gets to appear in a future banner with an original tome like Lute did, great news. 

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Good grief. I don’t know what a stupid blanket statement means but you were offended. No need for the caps. I get it. I’ll try to be better with my choice of words next time I’m irritated.

If I were to put it in other terms, many of their claims of “stolen spot” and/or “she took his tome” rubbed me off the wrong way due to the fact that the tome was never his to begin with. If he gets to appear in a future banner with an original tome like Lute did, great news. 

"People with Dio avatars are losers who live in their mom's basement".

You probably have a good reason as to why your avatar is Dio.  I'm pretty sure you're not a loser, and where you live is irrelevant.  The statement above serves no purpose other than to call out a group of people, for absolutely no reason at all.  It's a Bad Thing.

In SS, two main story units could legitimately use Gleipnir.  Of those, Knoll was the more likely user, and him being from Grado made it all the more fitting.  With the advent of glitches, Gleipnir belonged to Moulder.  CYL Moulder when

And last but not least, the release of Eirika has spurred me to throw a vote towards Knoll.  So yes, there has been something that has come of it, besides the faint hope that Knoll will show up with a better weapon.  Something tells me Gleipnir's Heroes effect would've been wasted on him.

I'd wager he'll go up in the polls a little, which might be enough to get him into the game sooner. I haven't payed attention to the Sacred Stones results for CYL cuz I haven't played it and don't know the characters, though.

There's already precedent of them giving the same legendary weapon to multiple characters, so I wouldn't doubt that he'd get Gleipnir when he's eventually added.

39 minutes ago, eclipse said:

"People with Dio avatars are losers who live in their mom's basement".

You probably have a good reason as to why your avatar is Dio.  I'm pretty sure you're not a loser, and where you live is irrelevant.  The statement above serves no purpose other than to call out a group of people, for absolutely no reason at all.  It's a Bad Thing.

In SS, two main story units could legitimately use Gleipnir.  Of those, Knoll was the more likely user, and him being from Grado made it all the more fitting.  With the advent of glitches, Gleipnir belonged to Moulder.  CYL Moulder when

And last but not least, the release of Eirika has spurred me to throw a vote towards Knoll.  So yes, there has been something that has come of it, besides the faint hope that Knoll will show up with a better weapon.  Something tells me Gleipnir's Heroes effect would've been wasted on him.

The Dio avatar? Hmm, not really. I was going to change it to Kempf or FFIV’s Kain but I just finished JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 1 when I made the account. I just choose whatever avatar I feel like uploading at the moment. You could call me the worst piece of scum to ever walk the Earth if you want to and I’d take no offense to it. 

As for Gleipnir, yeah, it’s fitting for him. I never gave it to him in my SS playthroughs, though. It was Ewan, monster campaign Lyon or Moulder with the glitch. As I said, it was some fans’ furious claim that it “belonged” to him and that he was “robbed” by Eirika2 that rustled my jimmies.

FEH’s Gleipnir’s effect isn’t that great either so it was a blessing in disguise for Knoll. It also raised awareness of him so he’ll certainly go up a little in the poll. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Which makes me realize that Vigarde not using Garm in his battle was a bit of a missed opportunity.

Vigarde never appears on screen in Sacred Stones, and the husk of him which you fight as a split-path boss doesn't seem like it would attract many fans. Among Sacred Stones NPCs, I'd expect Caellach, Glen, Selena, Riev, and Orson to get in before him... possibly even Carlyle and/or Morva as well.

The difference between Knoll's meme & Dorcas'.

Dorcas had years if not a decade to emphasize his meme while Knoll isn't even a week old.

There'll be a surge for sure, but not to the extent of Dorcas.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Kinda like how Luigi is only popular because he’s always number 2 to Mario.

Uh, excuse me, but that is not the reason Luigi is liked? I've never seen anyone say they like him simply because he's number 2. Luigi fans I've known like how he has more personality than his brother, is often really funny in the Mario & Luigi games, like green more than red, like his jumping ability better than Mario's, etc.

As for the thread question, I dunno.

Edited by Anacybele