If there was a Fire Emblem fighting game

Gregster101

I'm not sure if anyone else thought of this, but what if there was a Fire Emblem fighting game? I figured I'd make my own roster for a Fire Emblem fighting game if they ever made one. For this roster, I'm going to be going the Dissidia route by having each game represented 1 protagonist and 1 villain. And yes I said protagonist specifically, not lord. You'll see why. And also this is just my personal roster, so if you disagree with any of these choices, that's perfectly fine. So anyway, here is what my roster would be for a Fire Emblem fighting game.

5a6b8b0515226_FireEmblemFightingGameStartingRoster.thumb.png.df5b4a53ffedb0db4c42011cbdaaa278.png

5a6b8b2610c15_FireEmblemFightingGameCompleteRoster.thumb.png.ee86ff349bd3ad87059912ba6d93cecf.png

Shadow Dragon: Marth, Gharnef

Shadows of Valentia: Alm, Berkut

Mystery of the Emblem: Katarina, Hardin

Genealogy of the Holy War: Sigurd, Arvis

Thracia 776: Leif, Reinhardt

Binding Blade: Roy, Zephiel

Blazing Sword: Hector, Nergal

Sacred Stones: Ephraim, Lyon

Path of Radiance: Ike, Black Knight

Radiant Dawn: Micaiah, Sephiran

Awakening: Lucina, Validar

Fates: Azura, Garon

All the protagonists would be available from the start, while all the villains would be unlockable by completing the Arcade Mode with each game's respective protagonist. And there you go, that is my roster for a Fire Emblem Fighting Game. I don't expect too many people to agree with some of my choices, I just wanted to do this for fun. Let me know what you think your ideal roster would be below.

My roster for this would be similar to yours, but with some differences. This is going by the template of one main character along with one villain.

Spoiler

Shadow Dragon: Marth and Camus

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Celica and Berkut

New Mystery of the Emblem: Katarina and Gharnef

Genealogy of the Holy War: Sigurd and Arvis

Thracia 776: Leif and Reinhardt

The Binding Blade: Roy and Zephiel

The Blazing Blade: Lyn and Nergal

The Sacred Stones: Ephraim and Lyon

Path of Radiance: Ike and Black Knight

Radiant Dawn: Micaiah and Jarod

Awakening: Lucina and Validar

Fates: Corrin and Garon

Heroes: Fjorm and Surtr

3 minutes ago, LaserDuda said:

My roster for this would be similar to yours, but with some differences. This is going by the template of one main character along with one villain.

Reveal hidden contents

Shadow Dragon: Marth and Camus

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Celica and Berkut

New Mystery of the Emblem: Katarina and Gharnef

Genealogy of the Holy War: Sigurd and Arvis

Thracia 776: Leif and Reinhardt

The Binding Blade: Roy and Zephiel

The Blazing Blade: Lyn and Nergal

The Sacred Stones: Ephraim and Lyon

Path of Radiance: Ike and Black Knight

Radiant Dawn: Micaiah and Jarod

Awakening: Lucina and Validar

Fates: Corrin and Garon

Heroes: Fjorm and Surtr

Your roster could also work :)

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

It would have to be Soul Calibur, but with extra juggle physics.

Omg don't even get me started on Soul Calibur. Those ladies look like they have watermelons implanted in their chests and it's ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Omg don't even get me started on Soul Calibur. Those ladies look like they have watermelons implanted in their chests and it's ridiculous.

In particular, Ivy. I think some people were okay with her SCII design, finding it (and her weapon being a whip sword, and having a sadomaschist laugh) balanced by being a strong female character (although being a weak, as in traumatized, female character can work according to some- see Camilla). Then came SCIV, and the redesign sent her into pure condemnation for being just plain absurdly fanservicey.

The problem with any FE fighting game roster, would be trying to represent the entire series, and focusing on main characters, which would overload it with swords. That isn't an issue in a fighting game, but traditional FE fans obsessed with the Weapon Triangle would whine about. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to brand it like Persona does its Arena spinoffs- make it clear that you're not talking about repping the entire franchise. That way, fans of ignored games wouldn't be as ornery during the development because it is upfront in its exclusiveness, and it'd let the game be something other than hermaphroditic sea slugs fencing to see who isn't stuck being the mother (aka sword-fest).

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and it'd let the game be something other than hermaphroditic sea slugs fencing to see who isn't stuck being the mother (aka sword-fest).

Best analogy ever.

Hey why not make a fighting game about those sea slugs? Okay yeah bad idea xD

I still think Ivy is ridiculous and I'm sure there's quite a few other female characters with the same problem in SC. It's sexist and stupid, if you're going to have females with watermelon chests in bikinis, you need to have males with huge cucumber crotches in speedos. And SC just does the former. As far as I know. But if we keep this up we'll derail the thread...

I'm not going to say what my roster would be because I'm only familiar with the games released in North America, but I will say that if I had to choose a developer it would have to be either Ark System Works, Bandai Namco, or Capcom. Yes I know their pretty obvious choices because we all know what each one would bring to the table on the project. Guilty Fire Emblem Xrd, Fire Emblem Calibur, or Vs. Fire Emblem. Take your pick.

That's called Super Smash Bros

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

The guy who designed these ladies should be the one who designed Camilla's armor

Much like with my feelings on FEW, I more want to see them go for some diversity in movesets as opposed to merely representation.  Thankfully, there are plenty of major characters throughout the series who offer diversity in this regard.

If it had to be two per game, here's how I'd do it.  I'll give Archanea four games worth of reps for generosity's sake, though otherwise one should just go with characters from the first two games and ignore the DS remake characters.  Same applies for Gaiden; two games worth, but otherwise ignore the remake.  For Fates, I'll throw in three heroes and one villain to represent the different paths; otherwise, go for the neutral person.  These games with special rules are where you might see some deviations from the norm.

Also, some of them may be faulty decisions, as I'm not the most familiar with all the casts and needed to work with stuff I knew from osmosis and what I could research on wiki's.

Spoiler

SD: Marth and Camus - the former would play probably like he does in Smash, though adjusted for the physics of the fighting game; the latter can fight either on-foot or on horseback with a lance on the fly or maybe integrate the horse in a special move

Gaiden: Celica and Jedah - the former would have a mix of sword fighting and magic use, the magic primarily revolving around fire; the latter would do dark magic and sometimes summon monsters or maybe even Duma himself to aid in certain attacks

Mystery: Caeda and Hardin (Evil) - the former could be similar to Camus, but obviously more aerial and quick; the latter would fight exclusively on-foot with a lance (Gradivus or, if it's like SC, possibly other weapons from the series), would be heavy-set, and possibly use ranged attacks, though would not be impervious to damage like his canon version is

Genealogy: Sigurd and Arvis - The former fights on horseback with a sword (or not, depending) and is all around pretty powerful and quick; the latter is essentially a tankier, harder hitting Celica who is also slower (yes, I know he's pretty much got high stats all around, but gotta do something to compensate), though he won't use the same moves as her because that's lazy

Thracia: Leif and Reinhardt - The former uses a magic sword that can be used at range (though this might be balanced in some way so that you don't just have people trying to spam it), and will use all weapon classes (not including dark magic or hidden weapons) in a special move to reference his unique promotion in Genealogy; the latter is the horseback, lightning flavor of Celica, and will totally wreck your shit as a boss because his reputation as the most difficult boss in the most difficult game in the series precedes him

Binding Blade: Roy and Zephiel - the former fights somewhat like Marth, but geared more towards counters, special moves, and fire elements; the latter could use Eckesacks in both its sword and scepter forms, the latter being used for strictly ranged attacks, and the character himself would be slow but powerful

Blazing Blade: Hector and Jaffar - the former is your infantry axe user for the game, and he'll be fairly typical of that role (slow, but hard hitting and tough); the latter (who I know isn't a main antagonist, but who cares) is your sword/dagger wielding assassin character who will bring Nino in to assist him in special moves

Sacred Stones: Ephraim and Orson Valter - the former is your infantry lance user for the game, and is the most balanced out of the infantry physical weapon characters; the latter is like meatier Caeda in the sense that he's also aerial-focused and a lance fighter, whose weapon (the Cursed Lance) steadily increases the damage he deals as a substitute for a special skill

Path of Radiance: Ike and Ashnard - the former would probably play similar to his Smash version, being a more defensive sword user with lots of reach; the latter would play as a very heavy sword-wielding flier who is capable of ranged fighting

Radiant Dawn: Soren and the Black Knight - the former is a dedicated infantry mage with a focus on wind; the latter would be similar to Ike in the general premise, but he'll be more of a typical armor knight and focus even more on defense while sacrificing speed

Shadow Dragon (DS): Linde and Draug - the former would be a dedicated infantry mage with light magic as her focus; the latter is your every day armor knight, complete with the classic lance

New Mystery: Reese and Clarisse - the former is a dedicated infantry mage with her focus being lightning; the latter is an archer who also fights with daggers ('cuz assassins), making her an archer with some balance

Awakening: Lucina and Walhart - the former plays nothing like Marth because screw that noise (though in seriousness, she could use lances and bows in her attacks to make her different from the melee boys); the latter is, of course, an axe user mounted on a horse who is more defense oriented than other cavs

Fates (base paths): Takumi and Elise - the former is strictly a bow user who can use arrows as melee weapons, but is more effective at range and is focused more on defense than Clarisse; the latter is a mounted staff user who fights with a wound spell and quick debilitations

Fates: Corrin and Garon - the former fights similarly to their Smash variant, but their special turns them into their dragon form for a time (or indefinitely), which gives them an entirely new moveset; the latter is obviously an axe user with exceptional range and a goofy grin

Echoes: Conrad and Faye - I'll peg both of them as mimic characters; the former can take on Camus's, Ephraim's, Horace's, Leif's, Takumi's, or Soren's movesets, while the latter can do Sigurd's, Caeda's, Reese's, or Linde's movesets, though neither will use the same special moves

If I was allowed more for each, I'd probably few in some beast units, Tiki, Anna, a few more snippy archers, Flora, at least one of the eccentric/snobbish nobles in the series, Charlotte, and probably as many standard infantry lance users as possible (especially the 'Boro, as you might expect).  Oh, and probably a myrmidon and merc as well.  Also, I'd be inclined to include the Whitewings, who could work like Pokemon Trainer in Smash Brawl.

Also, I incidentally proved that you almost can make a diverse cast with major characters throughout the series.  That... wasn't necessarily my intention, but hey, that's nice.

Edited by Ertrick36

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In particular, Ivy. I think some people were okay with her SCII design, finding it (and her weapon being a whip sword, and having a sadomaschist laugh) balanced by being a strong female character (although being a weak, as in traumatized, female character can work according to some- see Camilla). 

It can work, but Camilla isn't the best example. Injustice 2's Harley Quinn is simultaneously strong and traumatized. She's an abuse victim, but she also stands up to the source of that abuse. It's an interesting dichotomy and something we could perhaps afford to see a little more of in the medium.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:06 PM, Gregster101 said:

Honestly, with how controversial Fire Emblem Warriors was, I don't think they would want to repeat the same mistake

It apparently sold well enough for a Warriors game so that could very well validate that decision in their eyes.

1 minute ago, Midnox said:

That'd be a great idea, but I'd rather not all all characters as lords. It would be nice if a protagonist or two is a secondary character from their home game

Admittedly I did thought of having an extra character or two for each game, but I decided against it as I didn't think they'd include that many characters.

Much like Warriors should have just been Warriors, Fighters should just be Fighters.

Barst, the FE5 Fighters and FE9/10 Fighters being the only ones who can actually land a hit.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Much like Warriors should have just been Warriors, Fighters should just be Fighters.

Barst, the FE5 Fighters and FE9/10 Fighters being the only ones who can actually land a hit.

Lol, I don't know why I didn't think of that as like a shitpost XD

If we ever got a fire emblem fighting game, I would really pity the people thinking up the movesets and I would rather it be a smash bros. clone personally, I think given fire emblem's variety of characters and potential play styles on offer it could really make for a great smash bros. clone, I just dont think manaketes could be as fun in a streetfighter wannabe. also classes like dancers could be an interesting thought for two on two matches, it opens more possibilities for entertaining gameplay in my opinion. 

Makes me wonder if effective against weapons will be a thing.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Makes me wonder if effective against weapons will be a thing.

Unless they did a tag team format, that would be overpowering. I'd propose restricting effective bonuses to certain attacks. So Rapier Marth doing 75% of his usual moves would deal normal damage to an Armor or Cav, but if he uses one of the remaining 25% extra damage will be dealt. So Camus wouldn't be guaranteed to die to Marth, he'd just have to work to avoid falling for Marth's anti-Cav moves, which a remotely skilled player should learn to identify. Though being able to identify attacks is meaningless if you can't properly block or dodge them or attacks that would then flow into the effective ones.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:21 AM, Etheus said:

It can work, but Camilla isn't the best example. Injustice 2's Harley Quinn is simultaneously strong and traumatized. She's an abuse victim, but she also stands up to the source of that abuse. It's an interesting dichotomy and something we could perhaps afford to see a little more of in the medium.

Interesting. I don't pay attention to comic book heroes in any capacity, so that is interesting. I don't mind sexualized characters if they have sufficient justification, which sadly they often don't.

Well I brought up Camilla, but I had in the back of my mind a real weak/traumatized woman who was through her life sexualized. I saw one episode in a documentary series called "Million Dollar American Princesses"- American girls and women who at one point in their lives married into European nobility (not bad). The actress Rita Hayworth was apparently kept from living a normal life by her father, forced to dance in sleazy nightclubs and bars inappropriate for a girl from a young age, where he called her his wife (so a little incestuous), and he probably abused her as well. Later Rita is removed from her father's control when Hollywood discovers her, and there she becomes a sex symbol. But according to the documentary, casting her in a sad light, she was always surrounded by domineering men, never having a chance to learn how to become independent, and always sought to have a man in her life who appreciated her beauty- the one thing she had worth anything.