(COMPLETED) Normal playthrough plan: let's make bad units great again

Garlyle

I'm currently in a playthrough of FE6 to reach the true ending, but I'm also having an idea of playing it through with characters that are not advised to use in the long run, and to use only them. And because of the nature of this challenge, the difficulty I'll be playing this is Normal Mode. I already made an exclude list, which shows the list of characters that always turned out great for me. There'll be 16 characters on the list, and Roy, Sophia and Wendy are already auto-included(the painful training sessions are real).

1. Roy
  2. Wolt
  3. Bors
  4. Wade
  5. Ellen
  6. Chad(Ch3 to 11) => Cath (Ch12 onward)
  7. Dorothy
  8. Treck
  9. Wendy
  10. Barth
  11. Tate
  12. Sophia
  13. Hugh
  14. Dayan/Juno
  15. Geese
  16. Lalum

Here are the results

Edited by Garlyle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Garlyle said:
  • Roy
  • Wendy
  • Sophia

Some advice:

Roy can be easily be trained so he's not much of a problem. 

As for Wendy, give her a few enemies of Ch.8 to deal with, and have her deal with most of the enemies in 8x. With good level ups, she'll be able to survive in axeland with ease.

As for Sophia, just let her steal experience from any weakened unit. RNG abuse if necessary.

Definitely put Wade in the list. His speed sucks so he's basically the most awful axe user in the game. Lot isn't so bad though, he can somewhat handle himself (and actually can hit with a handaxe). Cath's a very frail unit thanks to her late joining time, but only needs some levelling and an Angelic Robe, so use her.

Use Treck because he's like Wendy on a horse. And use Juno as well.

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

Use Wolt! He is my archer of choice, and he turned out pretty well for me.

Good point, he's not an easy character, but I'll really need an earlygame. (at least Bors or him)

1 hour ago, Miracle-Flora said:

Use Chad and Lugh.

It's really tempting actually. Chad suffers the fact that he can't promote, but he does have great Spd, and an early thief can really help. Lugh is an early mage, and I hear a lot of people prefer him over Lilina. Can anyone confirm to add them?

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Definitely put Wade in the list. His speed sucks so he's basically the most awful axe user in the game. Lot isn't so bad though, he can somewhat handle himself (and actually can hit with a handaxe). Cath's a very frail unit thanks to her late joining time, but only needs some levelling and an Angelic Robe, so use her.

Use Treck because he's like Wendy on a horse. And use Juno as well.

Wade sounds difficult, he's going on the list. As much as I heard about Treck, he should also be included. I never used Juno, if I get a Pegasus, I'll add her.

Cath is a late recruit, but I shouldn't bring more than 1 thief, so it's either her or Chad.

Also we need a healer.

Edited by Garlyle

Use Barth and Bors as well as Wendy, and teach the enemy the true power of the Ostian triangle.

As for the healer, Elen's pretty much the indisputably worst magic unit in the game, so go for her.

9 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Lugh is an early mage, and I hear a lot of people prefer him over Lilina.

That's because he is better than Lilina, having way better speed, which helps him dodge more reliably than Hector's heir, and joining with slightly better bases 5 chapters earlier. Lilina's fun to use, but she's definitely not optimal, and certainly not good enough to be excluded with the likes of Milady, Dieck and Rutger.

My opinion is that Lilina should be replaced by Perceval in the list of excluded units. Perceval is an absolutely amazing unit, even in normal mode. In the sort of team you're aiming for, he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

These are my humble opinions.

My suggestions: Marcus, Bors, Merlinus, Zealot (Marcus but a bit later), Douglas, Dayan/Juno (Much more so Juno here), Ellen, Hugh (Paid for at the lowest price possible), Geese, Noah, Barth, Elphin/Lalum (I'm accounting for route, but I think I know what you're going for),

Thieves (Don't really do combat anyway unless they're Asthol): Astohl, Chad, Cath,

Spoiler

Have too good bases: Niime (The ranks and Nosferatu man), Karel, Yodel, Cecilia (Alright I'm kind of being an ass about removing healers at this point), Bartre

Hard Mode greats: Percival, Gonzales, Zeis, Tate (I'd check what they have in normal before making a decision, Tate might be fine to pick but I doubt the others), Klein (Not as good bases as Igrene, but has A rank), Garret (Probably the most arguable of this lot)

Tend to turn out well if trained: Lugh, Lott, Treck (Treck is what if Wendy had a better start), Saul, Dorothy, Ray

27 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Cath is a late recruit, but I shouldn't bring more than 1 thief, so it's either her or Chad.

Also we need a healer.

Then go with Cath unless you want to use lockpicks early on instead of depending on keys.

As for a healer, Saul is considered better than Ellen, and Cecilia is somewhat decent for being on a horse and being able to use magic like Aircalibur, so go with Ellen. Although I didn't really find any of them awful.

44 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Then go with Cath unless you want to use lockpicks early on instead of depending on keys.

As for a healer, Saul is considered better than Ellen, and Cecilia is somewhat decent for being on a horse and being able to use magic like Aircalibur, so go with Ellen. Although I didn't really find any of them awful.

To be fair with the healers, in my first playthrough, me and my brother picked Saul than Ellen because of his Magic being higher than that of my other playthroughs. Also, I use pre-promotes rather than those with non-promoted classes because awesomeness. If you want challenge, go for Cecilia as your main healer.

Edited by Will O'Donnell
Scratch

7 minutes ago, Will O'Donnell said:

Also, I use pre-promotes rather than those with non-promoted classes because awesomeness.

FE6 has decent pre promotes (Percival and Niime being excellent ones), so using them is a good idea anyways.

And I'll have to agree that they all look awesome. For me, I guess its because of them being older than most other units, haha.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

2 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

FE6 has decent pre promotes (Percival and Niime being excellent ones), so using them is a good idea anyways.

And I'll have to agree that they all look awesome. For me, I guess its because of them being older than most other units, haha.

Yep. More badass looking on how much they've grown.... *sniff sniff* 

But for the most part, Cecilia is the possible pre-promote I will bench if I were to pick who's pre-promote's going to be benched first. She's pretty decent, sure, but her stats are a turnoff, and she starts at Nabata, so no XP much for her. :(

Use Marcus.  I don't think he's bad enough at all, but it'll at least clear the misconceptions you have about his general usefulness.

15 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

So is Cecilia bad enough for us to prove her worth? Looking at the list, I need another mage, although Ch.14 looks very distant.

She's like Clarine with better stats in everything except Skill/Speed/Luck and better weapon ranks by far.  She's definitely not bad enough.

56 minutes ago, Refa said:

She's like Clarine with better stats in everything except Skill/Speed/Luck and better weapon ranks by far.  She's definitely not bad enough.

I agree. At the very least Cecilia can do good enough damage with Aircalibur (if you can get enough of those), and using a staff is what her class' actual purpose is anyways. So I guess she's not really that bad, but its up to you if you wanna use her.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

Looking at the list, I need another mage, although Ch.14 looks very distant.

Well, there's always Hugh, but he comes late as well. So I guess you'll need to use Lugh, but he's not really considered to be bad. He just sucks Strength wise.

Also, I just noticed:

4 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Zeis

Zeiss is a pretty good unit, only suffering from a late joining time. But unlike Wendy and Sophia, he can catch up pretty well. I don't think you need to use him, unless you want to have a wyvern flier in your team.

Just an FYI, Percival / Niime / Saul / Cecilia are easily one of the better units in FE6. Tate / Zeiss / Klein also have a lot of potential as well (especially with HM bonuses).

Anyways with that in mind, take Hugh

Edited by Lunarly

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Dorothy

13 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

Just an FYI, Percival / Niime / Saul / Cecilia are easily one of the better units in FE6. Tate / Zeiss / Klein also have a lot of potential as well (especially with HM bonuses).

Anyways with that in mind, take Hugh

Ok, these sounds reasonable(better add Hugh).

Btw, if I don't level Sue, Shin, Thany and Tate, which route does the game take me? Ilia or Sacae?

The default would be Ilia.

Also, I don't think barring yourself from the early chests is a good call, so essentially I recommend replacing the thief each time a new one shows up if they're worse until you get Cath, you'll likely have the space anyway.

Yeah like the above comment, chests are pretty important imo (especially in the early game). I think you should use Chad until you get Cath, skipping Astohl (who is the best Thief just because he comes at the highest level).

Ok guys, I updated the list, almost there. I'm surprised by the low amount of axe users you guys suggested, but I'm not complaining. I do add Tate, I didn't had luck with her before. I add Chad as a replacement unit until Cath, but he shouldn't get too much fight, or he'll get too good for this kind of playthrough.

Now I did ignore adding Marcus, but if I get another suggestion for him, he's in.

I don't know why you're excluding Oujay because he's really bad.

Of the potential unit candidates that you haven't chosen already Karel is probably the worst just because he joins too late to be of any real impact during your playthrough. Barring that Garret is pretty weak in Normal Mode. If you really want a challenge I'd recommend those two.

If you want an early mage, use Lugh. He's more speedier than that of Lilina, but his magic is not that decent.

11 hours ago, Garlyle said:

So is Cecilia bad enough for us to prove her worth? Looking at the list, I need another mage, although Ch.14 looks very distant.

Yeah, at least on my standards. And yeah, Lugh or Hugh for the mages.