(COMPLETED) Normal playthrough plan: let's make bad units great again

Garlyle

About bad units, I know it's probably not possible but you should try beating the whole game only with Roy. He's a total burden until his promotion, and it's not really that better after that (after all, you are going to use his promoted form for 1 or 4 chapters).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got to the first true checkpoint in the game, the desert map Ch14. Problem is, most of my units are very slow. Ward, Treck, Bors, Barth and Wendy can move only 1 space, and the only one who have no disadvantage are Ellen, Tate and, urgh... Sophia. I want Tate and Cath do treasure hunting, I'm just not sure if I can afford that. I can't slow myself down, I'm not sure how the Armor Knight trio would last against an axe horde(they did a very good job against the reinforcement horses on the last map though). I already have a strategy how to collect the Talisman, Speedwings, Silence, Boots at the beginning, I probably need to stay clear from the Manaketes, my healer is also a frontline unit, which might be not good by looking at the number of enemies, but she could be the boss killer here. I leveled up Tate and Cath, but they are still not amazing.

Now that out of the way, have a look at the new promotes Ellen and Dorothy. This Dorothy makes Klein look like a wimp. Did I just got lucky with her? It can't be.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518303800237.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518309122509.png

Edited by Garlyle

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:

This Dorothy makes Klein look like a wimp. Did I just got lucky with her? It can't be.

Well, if you train them to 20/1, even Wolt is quite a bit better than NM!Klein. Klein's main advantage is that he skips the shitty-archer phase that Wolt and Dorothy have to go through, which is especially nice because it's usually better to chip, not kill, with an archer so that you can avoid a counterattack, so they gain even less XP unless you specifically train them. And, of course, Klein with HM bonuses is actually pretty much on par with 20/1 Wolt and Dorothy.

But your Dorothy is still blessed, although it's nothing extraordinary. (+2.5 Str and +1.45 Spd, while slightly behind in Def/Res, assuming you promoted her at level 20)

5 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Ok, I got to the first true checkpoint in the game, the desert map Ch14. Problem is, most of my units are very slow. Ward, Treck, Bors, Barth and Wendy can move only 1 space, and the only one who have no disadvantage are Ellen, Tate and, urgh... Sophia. I want Tate and Cath do treasure hunting, I'm just not sure if I can afford that. I can't slow myself down, I'm not sure how the Armor Knight trio would last against an axe horde(they did a very good job against the reinforcement horses on the last map though). I already have a strategy how to collect the Talisman, Speedwings, Silence, Boots at the beginning, I probably need to stay clear from the Manaketes, my healer is also a frontline unit, which might be not good by looking at the number of enemies, but she could be the boss killer here. I leveled up Tate and Cath, but they are still not amazing.

Now that out of the way, have a look at the new promotes Ellen and Dorothy. This Dorothy makes Klein look like a wimp. Did I just got lucky with her? It can't be.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518303800237.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518309122509.png

Dorothy became a glass cannon? Fascinating. And Ellen is decent; had the same stats as the 4th time me playing the game.

Edited by Will O'Donnell

7 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Dorothy seem okay, just needs more defense and I guess Luck. Ellen is good, I say you should have her use a Light tome often since her magic is good. (maybe get her light weapon rank to S so she could Aureolis, if you want)

3 hours ago, Will O'Donnell said:

Dorothy became a glass cannon? Fascinating. And Ellen is decent; had the same stats as the 4th time me playing the game.

I think I'm going to love this in Chapter 21.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Dorothy seem okay, just needs more defense and I guess Luck. Ellen is good, I say you should have her use a Light tome often since her magic is good. (maybe get her light weapon rank to S so she could Aureolis, if you want)

It's still possible to S rank her in Light, but then I seriously need to cut back on healing with her. She's already in A on Staves due to healing up until Lv18.

Btw, is there a safer route to reach 14x? I'm pretty much used to this:

plan.png

5 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I think I'm going to love this in Chapter 21.

It's still possible to S rank her in Light, but then I seriously need to cut back on healing with her. She's already in A on Staves due to healing up until Lv18.

plan.png

Eh, I guess you could S rank her light rank using the arena, since she will mainly do healing.

As for a safer route in 14x, I think the one you shown in the picture is pretty the more faster and mostly safe route. But I guess its better to ask someone other than me about this.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

If you're willing to field a flyer or two for rescue-drop utility, you can transport units right over the long cliff to your NE to save a couple turns of desert movement.

Unlike FE7 and 8, it's possible in this game to reach multiple S ranks. It's another question if it's worth it, given how slow you gain WEXP, though. ;)

Edited by ping

22 minutes ago, ping said:

If you're willing to field a flyer or two for rescue-drop utility, you can transport units right over the long cliff to your NE to save a couple turns of desert movement.

Unlike FE7 and 8, it's possible in this game to reach multiple S ranks. It's another question if it's worth it, given how slow you gain WEXP, though. ;)

um, you quoted Garlyle but my name came up instead. Is this is a bug or...?

24 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

um, you quoted Garlyle but my name came up instead. Is this is a bug or...?

Sorry, my mistake. I used the "quote this" mouseover and marked the text in the quote box in your post. Should be fixed now.

Quick update. Finished Chapter 14, but boy this needed planning and carefulness. First I started the treasure hunt with Tate and Cath the Talisman, Speedwings, Silence. Lalum was able to help in, then she went to assist Bors through the desert. Sophia got the first kill, but due to her shitty aim, she only had 2 kills on the entire map. While Cath was busy killing a Priest, Sophia found some Boots in the sand, which Wendy utilized right away. That really helped, although while Cath was busy, Tate picked up Wendy to place her in luring range for the northwest wyverns. I took them one by one, so Dorothy was the best choice against them at this time, but I also brought Wolt with me. Once I was getting out of the sand, Tate and Cath collected the Card, but due to the amount of sword enemies, I had to slow down. I also felt the marching brigands behind my back, and I didn't want to get stuck in this sandwich. I gave the kill of Rose and Maggie to Dorothy, with a little boost from Lalum, because somehow I couldn't crit. Bors took no damage from the boss, but his aim wasn't great. But when everyone gathered, the promoted units were able to finish him. Unfortunately a mage was stuck in the sand, and I made bad choices with Cath, so I couldn't pick up the Warp staff and the Silver Blade.

EDIT: Also Dorothy capped Str.

Edited by Garlyle

I usually don't like to double post, but interesting updates I got. So Ch14x was kinda hard due to the boss and because I tried to level up Sophia, and she has even shittier hit rate than axe users. Even now after 8 level ups.

Also I promoted Tate, which turned out pretty good, I can't complain. I'm expecting a lot of promotions in the next 2 levels, so get ready for that. I'd also love to get my hands on the Hammerne, but that'd be very very difficult.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518455671626.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518450970576.png

Edited by Garlyle

Chapter 16 done. I put Lalum on the doorstep on the right side and locked Douglas out, he's not attacking her own daughter. After that the chapter was straightforward, just a lot of collecting, fighting, and an easy boss fight. Also I recruited Hugh, stay tuned for his stats in the future posts.

I tried to level up Sophia as much as I could, but she's still struggling a lot. Remember, I gave her 2 Speedwings already. Ward looks ok, I have good feelings about Wendy although her early struggle with Str shows up in her stats, Geese looks strong, Treck doesn't seem to have anything outstanding, Wolt kinda fell behind Dorothy, and Barth only has Str and Def. Hope that'll be enough with the B supports.

Btw, I made a Roy-Sophia C support, and I'm not sure if I can level it up to B. Roy already has A with Wolt, and he can initiate conversation with Lilina. If that blocks the B support, I need to kill Lilina.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518590098625.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518495865655.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518507246810.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518563703523.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518563989653.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518589462157.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518589680796.png

Edited by Garlyle

Also I recruited Hugh, stay tuned for his stats in the future posts.

Did you recruit him at the highest cost or the lowest cost?

On 2/13/2018 at 12:02 AM, Garlyle said:

Also I promoted Tate, which turned out pretty good, I can't complain

Tate seems pretty good. As expected, her Speed is great, and her Strength, Defense and Skill are good enough for a Pegasus Knight as well. 

Chapter 16 done. I put Lalum on the doorstep on the right side and locked Douglas out, he's not attacking her own daughter. After that the chapter was straightforward, just a lot of collecting, fighting, and an easy boss fight. Also I recruited Hugh, stay tuned for his stats in the future posts.

I tried to level up Sophia as much as I could, but she's still struggling a lot. Remember, I gave her 2 Speedwings already. Ward looks ok, I have good feelings about Wendy although her early struggle with Str shows up in her stats, Geese looks strong, Treck doesn't seem to have anything outstanding, Wolt kinda fell behind Dorothy, and Barth only has Str and Def. Hope that'll be enough with the B supports.

Btw, I made a Roy-Sophia C support, and I'm not sure if I can level it up to B. Roy already has A with Wolt, and he can initiate conversation with Lilina. If that blocks the B support, I need to kill Lilina.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518590098625.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518495865655.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518507246810.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518563703523.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518563989653.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518589462157.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518589680796.png

You should just use Sophia mainly for healing or being a mage killer once she promotes. Her stats are nothing extraordinary for fighting purposes and her Skill is garbage. Bench her if you really want to.

Ward is okay, his Strength is only his real specialty here. Wendy seems good, although her Strength is low, but her Speed's okay. Geese seems pretty, with high Strength, Skill, and good enough Speed and Defense. He's certainly better all around compared to Ward.

Treck seems to have good enough stats all around. Nothing really outstanding, as you said, but still a useful unit. Wolt's okay, Dorothy seems better (according to the last screenshot we've seen of her) but Wolt has better Luck and Defense. Barth is just Barth with his high Strength, Con, and Defense and everything else being crap.

Good luck training Hugh, if you recruited him at the highest cost he should't be heard to use. I don't think Roy's B support with Sophia is locked unless you actually initiate the support convo with Lilina. So you don't need to kill her.

5 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Did you recruit him at the highest cost or the lowest cost?

I am not going to spend 10.000 Gold for a mage, I spent only 5.000. I need that money for something else. Plus he's more competent this way for this kind of playthrough.

On other notes from you, that's a good idea to turn Sophia into a healer, maybe I should promote her now, but I want her to use the ultimate Dark spell. Ward is actually under his average strength. Treck is better than Marcus now, but worse than Percival. Dorothy actually has a Res of 10, and she's mvp now.

I am not going to spend 10.000 Gold for a mage, I spent only 5.000. I need that money for something else. Plus he's more competent this way for this kind of playthrough.

On other notes from you, that's a good idea to turn Sophia into a healer, maybe I should promote her now, but I want her to use the ultimate Dark spell. Ward is actually under his average strength. Treck is better than Marcus now, but worse than Percival. Dorothy actually has a Res of 10, and she's mvp now.

I guess you're right about Hugh, it would be more challenging to train him at the lower costs.

As for Sophia, yeah you should promote her when she's 20/20. If Ward is under his average strength, then I guess its better to use Geese instead.

Kind of expected Treck's stats to be lower than Percival, but he's still usable. And cool to know Dorothy's the mvp now. So I assume you're going to give her the Mulagir?

12 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

And cool to know Dorothy's the mvp now. So I assume you're going to give her the Mulagir?

She is the best against bosses, she can have whatever she want. :D: Also Sophia made it to Druid

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518659714697.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518676340878.png

Edited by Garlyle

3 hours ago, Garlyle said:

She is the best against bosses, she can have whatever she want. :D: Also Sophia made it to Druid

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518659714697.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1518676340878.png

Wow, Dorothy IS a big glass cannon; try getting her speed up so you don't have to care about her def/res.

For Sophia.... she's just like in Heroes.... except that the speed is replaced by skill.

Guys, I have some bad news updates for you. I won't make it to the true ending. I'm currently at Chapter 21, completed all the Gaiden chapters, all prepared to run through this chapter quickly, but I just realized I'm missing one of the requirements.

Because Zeiss died in Chapter 16.

Update. I just finished Chapter 21, but as you guys know I didn't go to the Gaiden chapter due to reasons I already explained. I decided to go to the south all the way, then move toward Murdock. The path to the east looks shorter, but the reinforcements has too many flyers. I preferred the south path, so I could utilize my wall of Generals on the frontline doing a good work, Barth took those hits like a boss. Hugh with Aircalibur, double archers, having Geese on a mountain and Tate with Wyrmslayer was the way to get rid of all those wyvern riders.

Couple of takeaways some of may didn't know:

• Bors with Hammer and Triangle Attack is broken good against Roartz and Murdock.
  • Eclipse is the best spell in the game if you want to take down walls.

Next I'll update when Zephiel is down, and give credits for all the participating squad members.

The time has come, the king is dead. I'll be honest, I probably enjoyed this play more than I should've. Also I'm glad that some of you found this interesting, and gave advices on what I should do in there. Once again sorry that I didn't went for the true ending, maybe I'll get it on my next try.

Now without further ado, here's how the heroes made in groups(you can pick your order):

We're not bad, everyone else is great (Bottom 9-7)

Spoiler

Wolt

5a8b188c097f9_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054346262.png.68f72f828880aa4784e45415a6162644.png

If you are committed to use him, he'll do fine, he might benefit from a support with Roy, it's just the competition that makes him hit the bench. Or the fact that he can get RNG screwed. The only saving grace of Wolt is his availability, and maybe the good supports. Out of all the starting characters, he has the worst base stats, he's just there to do early chip damage. Later there are a lot of much better bow users (except Dayan, maybe).

Hugh

5a8b18ed25849_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054425091.png.41e4cdfeb66d5f64614f6fde646b8bba.png

Magic users are great in this game, and Hugh certainly did his job well, but his competition is way ahead of him at this point, and I think he joins at the point where bases >> growths. Plus he costs money, something that should be spent on something else in my opinion. If for some reason you need to pick him, he's not going to let you down though. Better pay the full price though.

Barth

5a8b19e3a1580_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054369202.png.653bb218b28797adc7055176e993ed89.png

The Armor Knights did very well in this playthrough, I'm actually glad that I could've used them, however Barth doesn't have anything else besides his enormous Str and Def. Sure he can take a lot of hit, but without the supports, he probably couldn't hit that many enemies. But he can be a solid chice if you need someone standing in the frontline.

It was fun while it lasted (Bottom 6-4)

Spoiler

Roy

5a8b1b70817e4_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054336541.png.0420a2d85f7a17e81e1e70ad6add9ad5.png

Main hero yes, Roy is good in early game. He has good supports, average stats, nice growths, and wields a sword. He can kill bosses, but about halfway through the game, you just want to bench him because of his late promotion. He should get a promotion item after Chapter 8 (or 14) to be an amazing unit. The fact that he is a mandatory unit cries for him to be a more outstanding unit, which he probably never becomes. By the time he gets promoted, it's not worth to start training him. He's not a bad unit, but loses a lot of potentials.

Treck

5a8b1b76b9e9a_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054364950.png.5f3479eb73eef39ffc35022afb088f54.png

Man, look at how balanced his stats are. The high amount of Cavaliers/Paladins in this game makes the competition very tough, especially for Treck. Cavaliers are considered to be great units in this game, but you don't need too many of them. Allen and Lance have great availability and great supports, and Percival with his bases considered to be one of the best. He can become good, but he didn't really stand out from the crowd as anything good.

Ward

5a8b1b7420f67_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054356289.png.19faed84c0c8c754d2f4d716b43fbb37.png

Ward can hit very hard, just not very accurate. In fact all axes have -10 accuracy in this game compared to FE7, another game in the GBA series where axe users didn't get much attention. From early fighters, Lot has better bases, and later Geese can replace that spot with less training. Availability is good, supports are not bad, but he needs better accuracy if he wants to stand a chance for late game. In my playthrough, he was one of the units from the early bunch that got the promotion later.

Never again (Bottom 3-1)

Spoiler

Cath

5a8b1b7bdb321_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054418007.png.70c4891fa293865b2c15a504b8ce670b.png

It's not easy being a thief, especially if you come that late in the game. Some of her stats hit bottom, and it was just not worth training her any further. Also her recruitment requirements don't make up for her at all. I think that Chad is clearly the best thief in Binding Blade, great Spd, early access and good supports. Now if this game would've been called Sacred Stones and Cath started as a Rogue...

Sophia

5a8b1b7ce32cb_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054422106.png.c11c58d78c265e9ec852d73bef382a0f.png

Sophia comes in the worst map, very fragile and can hardly hit anything. She was the reason I had to restart a map most of the time. I'm going to say the only way Sophia would be a viable unit is if she would've had a better starting Skl and overall better growth rates. I like to get committed with characters and training them up hoping to become better than the average, I always pick Nino over Pent for God's sake, but Sophia is just not worth using. Only if you're seeking a real challenge.

Juno

5a8b1b7de1c3c_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054428594.png.ecf50e7a0d5d7d647dc8990ea388bce3.png

Barely used her. And that says a lot. The time she joined the squad, everyone was already ahead of her by stats, and the fact that she is a high levelled character, there's not much room for her to improve, I didn't even level her up. If you went to the Ilia path and you didn't have an amazing Thany or Tate at the time, then something must be wrong with you. She could be used for a while, but overall not worth it.

Heroes, not zeroes (7 worthy heroes)

Spoiler

Wendy

5a8b1b77bbd14_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054372073.png.4c4fe1e1ade0e69049b2c85efc5a8845.png

I know a lot of people would argue with this, but this is the second time I levelled her up, and after the awkward training session, she turned out to be great. Her Str suffered a lot, but after promotion, she becomes a beast. In the end, she had 55 percent chance to crit with a Killer Lance. And that's how she killed King Zephiel herself. At the beginning she can hardly survive many hits, but keep in mind that her growth rates are really good, and her supports are also pretty good. She can become a really great unit, but you have to be committed. If you are able to train her up as early as possible, she can become a General that can replace any of her competitors. Although her Def might fall behind the others.

Bors

5a8b1b718a21d_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054349048.png.fe294fe44d492bbfbb2ec2da87a5f9d2.png

Honestly Bors is probably the best Armor Knight in the game. Ok supports, great availability, he can become very solid in what he does. So if you want to waste the free boots on someone, it'll be probably him. He can basicly do a bait defense if you like to have a frontline unit, only avoid using him if you want to go faster on early levels. After promotion I changed him to wield axes, and he made unusual surprises for me.

Ellen

5a8b1b72d3de9_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054352047.png.ea4cfcc6ff39a55c282878d8d2eacbe5.png

It's weird to see that only my healer hit Lv20 after promotion. But those stats are competing with Lilina. The healer spot is actually very competitive. Saul looks very balanced with good bases, Clarine is a mounted dodgetank with a lower Mag, and we have the fragile Ellen with the early access. But she's worth it. She'll hit as hard as Saul, dodge almost like Clarine, and also get a nice Res with that too.

Dorothy

5a8b1b753d6f7_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054361491.png.51ffcdabceacb6b2bf404d6e44dd501f.png

I usually overlooked her, but that was because I already had Wolt, and Sue joined on the same chapter, who had a much better potential. Also her supports are not very amazing. Dorothy however can max Str, and get great Skl and Spd, making her a very strong offensive unit. Surprisingly in my playthrough she became a boss killer, and one of the best units in the whole run. Don't leave her out in the open thought, her Def is not really that high to be able to survive a lot of attacks.

Tate

5a8b1b79d7e3b_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054411220.png.ca7119921e711025b43b44c5e8f1c995.png

Ah, the Pegasus sisters. Juno just falls short in every way compared to the other sisters. Thany on the other hand is dodgy, great supports, great availability, with some struggle on the Str part. And that's the problem of Tate. Tate has to do her training with the Slim Lances, while you already have a well-trained Thany in your squad. If you can get through the training part, she'll become a very competent flier unit. I'm very pleased to see how good she turned out.

Geese

5a8b1b78b1b74_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054407189.png.50d29e66f99cc6dd680e0f4397cb1b62.png

Ok, so Geese was one of the last minute addition to this playthrough, and the only reason for that was the fact that he is an easy-to-recruit axe user. His starting Aim is not great, supports are like non-existent, but he has great growth rates and a nice critical bonus once promoted. I love the stats he get, and now I'm curious how good Gonzales or Garret can be. His stats are more balanced compared to other axe users, and after this playthrough I consider him to be the best choice when it comes to axe users in Binding Blade in general.

Lalum

5a8b1b7ae0005_0378-FireEmblem-SealedSword_1519054414114.png.91d5e3626eebbf4fa1ccd5c1d86c76a0.png

She was also a last minute addition, and that's because I prefer to go on her route, and I thought I could always use the utility of a dancer. In case you can't level her, she's very fragile, so she should stay far away from the frontline of the battle. The ability to make your mvp take action twice per turn, or the chance to do an attack a second time in case the first time missed; will always be the most useful in gba games. And just for notes, Dancer > Bard

Would I prove them to be good in Hard Mode? No, I'm still pretty bad in Hard Mode. Plus the training for some of these units would be even more obnoxious. But I could recommend this kind of playthrough on Normal mode for others, just to see what other crazy strats you can find this way.

Edited by Garlyle