Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim

Reality

Majesty was one of my childhood games growing up.

A little overview- 

Majesty was released in 2000, and became a cult hit to the few that played it. It was a minor project by the Cyberlore, a studio best known for making expansion packs for other companies (mechwarrior fans actually dominated the majesty forums before the moderators learned how to properly redirect people) 

Majesty is a very unique game.  It is most often compared to Dungeon Keeper. However it manages to stand out from its competition. The main innovation over other godsim games is  its indirect unit control. The only direct control the player has is over building construction and placing bounties, but the actual adventurers (all fantasy staples like warriors, rangers, wizards, etc) may or may not choose to pay attention to your bounties. The gimmick works surprisingly well, as despite the apparent annoyance of not being able to deal with objectives, the characters develop personalities really quickly, and often go on adventures far away from safety on their own initiate.  The other contribution toward it's cult status besides the gameplay was the game's copious amount of voice clips, portrait art, and the Sean Connery impersonator who served as the game's narrator.

Majesty would receive minor support through a super quest available for download for free on the website , and then a large expansion pack  in 2001(nearly doubling the length of the game).

Majesty would go dormant after this, but many good times were had.

The Majesty IP was eventually purchased by Paradox Interactie who produced a sequel,  Majesty 2 in 2009.  Most fans of the original dislike it for changing the indirect control personality of the heroes. (In this game they'll all basically idle unless you put bounties so it plays like an RTS and kind of misses the point.) However, Majesty 2 does attempt to re-create some of the appeal of the original game to its credit. It is appallingly short without its expansion packs however. Also I'm in the crowd that thinks it's bad.

Majesty is getting a bit of a resurgence. In early 2017, without warning, Majesty received mod support on its Steam version. Although janky, a few people were able to make good use of it. 2 days ago, after a long wait, and due to the heoric efforts of a single developer, Majesty has finally received it's second beta, restoring the online multiplier unless you happened to be one of us cult fans who played it on Hamachi with fake lan . The game is definitely not for everyone due to it's non-traditional gameplay, and several pre-existing issues such as being prone to crashing if the game keeps playing on to the point of the player building a mega-city and a fairly extreme difficulty curve.  However, it is full of personality, and for me, is one of the most unexpected pleasures of 2018.

Personally, I'm really excited for the future of Majesty, so I guess I might as well spread awareness of some random early 2000s game

9 hours ago, Reality said:

and due to the heoric efforts of a single developer, Majesty has finally received it's second beta, restoring the online multiplier

WHAT

OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

majesty is The Shit and i have Feelings about it and majesty 2 was the first time i was ever upset at how mediocre a game was but jesus christ everyone play majesty it's on sale at like $2-5 every now and then