A Hero Rises. Who should we vote for?

Midnox

FREE HERO  

169 members have voted

1. 1. WHO'LL BE THE FREE HERO?

• Vanguard Ike, the legendary earth hero
    • Hector, the heavy DC nightmare

8 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

From the sounds of it they will be in standard rotation as they have already announced fjorm for march, I think they want to keep up the distribution of seasonals and they seem like they will be predictable regardless, I can offer no guarantee that hector distant counter will ever be in as easily predictable a banner rotation as any of the legendary heroes.

A vote for hector is a vote for disgusting plebeians who should have been playing this game a year ago.

I was, and I still haven't gotten him once.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Tuvy said:

I was, and I still haven't gotten him once.

I don't have a hector, wasted so many orbs on that first legendary hero banner and got deirdre and spring camilla, I am still salty about that one.

I swear every time I pull for skills, it's like they know what I have planned for them and they hide.

I'd be alright with RD Ike winning it, I get the feeling I won't be able to get him on the legend banner and they might not feature the legend heroes on Hero Fest banners so getting Ike would be good. Neutral boon/bane is good for his stats too.

Although I'll be voting for Zelgius.

15 minutes ago, Morswo said:

I think Vanguard Ike is a good choice, he comes with the blessing of earth and is a good unit.

It's hard to say if legendary Ike would come with an earth blessing if he won, we were told that we would be getting the hero but I don''t know if that means we get all the bells and whistles to go along. 

and if you are going to say fjorm, this is very different, fjorm seems to be a character used to introduce the concept of blessings to new players, with freebee vanguard Ike, there is no precedent for that situation so throwing the blessing in there too may be a bit much.

2 minutes ago, Metakirby said:

As I have legendary Ike from my first pull +atk - res.. And I never had any Hector.. Well my choice is made even if Ike is my favorite 

I got legendary Ike (neutral I think) in about 50 orbs so I'm good on that one, Ike will be fairly common when you factor in the very predictable frequency of banners he will be appearing in,being a legendary hero means that if you really want him you can save for the next legendary banner next month, as for hector, there is no telling if he will appear in any capacity next month or even the month after that, while it can be tricky to pull from legendary banners (I got everything that was not hector) any legendary hero can be appropriately prepared for and expected, any one regular hero cannot be predicted in any capacity and in turn not prepared for.

Why Ike is a better choice than Hector:

1.  Warding Breath and LIke are both rarer than Hector is at this point.  A poll on reddit showed that nearly 70% of the playerbase there had summoned at least one Hector.  I'd wager the true percentage is around 50% if you go outside of reddit.  
2.  LIke is a legendary unit which means two things.  First off, you can build an earth team around him.  Second, you get a blessing when you summon him which you will not get with Hector.
3.  Hector is just food at this point.  If you have another green armored unit, chances are (s)he is going to be better off with DC than Hector (WChrom for example).  LIke doesn't look amazing but with a unique special skill, built in DC, blessing advantage, and warding breath he looks to be quite useful as both food and as a unit.
4.  Lots of heroes have built in DC, none have build in warding breath.  So even if you don't have DC fodder, you can still build plenty of DC units and plenty more will come.
5.  Most importantly, Ike is much rarer than Hector.  You might say "well he will come back every month".  First off, that's not entirely true.  Fjorm will not appear in the next legendary banner so you can assume that the more legendaries we get, the rarer he will end up.  Secondly, the odds of summoning him are <3% because you have an 8% chance to summon one of three units.  On Hector banners, you have over a 3% chance to summon him.  Hector can also be summoned accidentally in other banners.  Finally, Hector is eligible for Hero Feasts and other increased rate banners whereas LIke is not.  

To me, the choice is clear.  I would also argue that WTharja is a better choice than Hector but LIke is better than both.

Edited by Lushen

37 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Why Ike is a better choice than Hector:

1.  Warding Breath and LIke are both rarer than Hector is at this point.  A poll on reddit showed that nearly 70% of the playerbase there had summoned at least one Hector.  I'd wager the true percentage is around 50% if you go outside of reddit.  
2.  LIke is a legendary unit which means two things.  First off, you can build an earth team around him.  Second, you get a blessing when you summon him which you will not get with Hector.
3.  Hector is just food at this point.  If you have another green armored unit, chances are (s)he is going to be better off with DC than Hector (WChrom for example).  LIke doesn't look amazing but with a unique special skill, built in DC, blessing advantage, and warding breath he looks to be quite useful as both food and as a unit.
4.  Lots of heroes have built in DC, none have build in warding breath.  So even if you don't have DC fodder, you can still build plenty of DC units and plenty more will come.
5.  Most importantly, Ike is much rarer than Hector.  You might say "well he will come back every month".  First off, that's not entirely true.  Fjorm will not appear in the next legendary banner so you can assume that the more legendaries we get, the rarer he will end up.  Secondly, the odds of summoning him are <3% because you have an 8% chance to summon one of three units.  On Hector banners, you have over a 3% chance to summon him.  Hector can also be summoned accidentally in other banners.  Finally, Hector is eligible for Hero Feasts and other increased rate banners whereas LIke is not.  

To me, the choice is clear.  I would also argue that WTharja is a better choice than Hector but LIke is better than both.

Yeah, this pretty much echoes my thoughts.

In addition, it's worth bearing in mind that we'll probably get a CYL Hector this year, who could show up regular Hector. Might even have Distant Counter, too. Close Counter came back on Winter Tharja, so it's likely that Distant Counter will show up on some new unit, eventually. We might even get multiple super-Hectors, actually, now that Eirika and Ike have established two other new ways for characters to get additional versions.

Edited by Othin

I'd rather get another Hector to merge or get distant counter fodder than get another Ike when I can just summon him right now (plus he'll probably come back in the next legendary banner cause Gunnthrá is back).

Then again, I wouldn't mind Ike Emblem.

2 minutes ago, Falcom said:

I'd rather get another Hector to merge or get distant counter fodder than get another Ike when I can just summon him right now (plus he'll probably come back in the next legendary banner cause Gunnthrá is back).

Then again, I wouldn't mind Ike Emblem.

literally says in the banner description that Ike and Gunnthra will be back next month, it also says that fjorm will be back in march,  truly the most limited of units, once this banner is over don't expect to see him anywhere other than your wildest dreams and tier 17 arena ya know, till february.

Of course you can get hector anytime, the likelihood is about 0.16 that you get him and that is the same for 5* boey, 5* sheena, 5* fae, 5* merric, 5* soren, 5* raven, 5* titania 5* hawkeye 5* camilla. I for one approve of spending $2000 on whaling hector and still not getting him.

16 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

picking rare over practical is just plain stupid, everyone can use hector to some degree, I don't normally use dancers(I also don't like azura), but I can use distant counter, even if you absolutely detest hector in every way, shape, and form, he is of use to you, if I despise azura and hate her as a character, hate her overexposure in heroes and would like nothing more than to erase her from fire emblem history, will I gain anything from getting her for free? no I won't, she has no noteworthy skills for my team that I can't get anywhere else she will be too valuable to send home or use for SI (with what little I could take, if I want hone fliers minerva is always in the pool and be used to top off life and death for a firesweep build, and earth dance is incredibly niche and her weapon is ok at best, again niche).

Vote for hector, even if you hate him, he is of use.

You underestimate the usefulness of a Flying Dancer. Maybe you and I can use DC Fodder from Hector, but newer players are not going to need it as much as having the utility of a flying dancer given to them straight-up. They can use Flying Dancers to grind, they can easy level up Airzura thanks to TA 3 and the new grinding maps that are going to come up. And personally I just want Airzura over Hector (Azura maybe a poorly written chracter, but her art is still better than Hector :P) because I badly need a Flying Dancer, and I even have Performing Artszura.

You know now that I have really thought about it I think I will go for voting for H!Jakob just to be different.  I will take who I get, but I want H!Jakob most out of all 5* exclusives so I will vote for who I want most and hope I don't someone I don't like .  I wish they would just let us chose who we want instead of voting, I feel like some players will be sad anyway the votes go.  of course SF is just a small part of who will vote so it is any 5*s game right now:)

27 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

literally says in the banner description that Ike and Gunnthra will be back next month, it also says that fjorm will be back in march,  truly the most limited of units, once this banner is over don't expect to see him anywhere other than your wildest dreams and tier 17 arena ya know, till february.

Of course you can get hector anytime, the likelihood is about 0.16 that you get him and that is the same for 5* boey, 5* sheena, 5* fae, 5* merric, 5* soren, 5* raven, 5* titania 5* hawkeye 5* camilla. I for one approve of spending $2000 on whaling hector and still not getting him.

Oh neat. Must've skimmed over the part where it says that.

It's true I can get Hector anytime soon but I found myself lacking any interest in pulling any green orbs. Despite what I just said, I really don't mind much about what hero the community chooses. I merely said Hector if I were given a choice between him and L!Ike. And besides, a 0.16% of getting Hector feels like a 0.0001% knowing my awful luck.

gotta be Hector. Everyone deserves a DC. Legendary Ike will be on legendary banners so he's almost always gonna be easier to get. Hector besides Hero Fest and that 1 Legendary banner has been a pain in the rear to get. And he has one of the best slot A skills in the game and the only one to frigging have it. And Hector is just a great all around unit if people don't have him. No downside to picking Hector, Legendary Ike on the other hand is just a better version of regular Ike. Nothing crazy but quite good.

Also unless you're building like Faye. Steady Breath is much more readily available and just as good if not better in most cases. Trying to get Warding Breath Fodder is silly, DC is infinitely better fodder.

Edited by Tsak

2 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Why does this have to be dependent on other's preferences...

I won't complain about free stuff but it's disappointing that we can't get a unit of our choosing. One man's treasure is another man's trash.

Don't personally have any use for DC fodder since I don't run enemy phase melee units. Probably going for Ike (for collection purposes) or another seasonal or legendary, since actually pulling for legendaries on their banner is a pain and they'll never show up outside of those banners where you can be endlessly pity broken by the other two units in the color you're going for (say hi to my +1 Ike and +2 Celica).

Realistically, the majority of casual non-tier-oriented players are going to vote for a shiny new rare character that they like rather than skill fodder, so Ike probably has a good chance anyway given his massive popularity. So does Hector, but he's been on a few banners before and I'd venture that his imminent victory in CYL2 will mean less people will pick him here.