A Hero Rises. Who should we vote for?

Midnox

FREE HERO  

169 members have voted

1. 1. WHO'LL BE THE FREE HERO?

• Vanguard Ike, the legendary earth hero
    • Hector, the heavy DC nightmare

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Not that it's hard to imagine what they're saying but what exactly are they saying that would cause you have this reaction when Ike is prime to win?

Mostly people complaining about him being yet another sword unit, which do I get. But there are also a lot of people saying its pointless to vote for him because he'll be showing up on 8% banners which is annoying because while true those banners are the worst to pull a specific unit on unless you get lucky and/or have a ton of orbs. I'm just tired and feeling petty today.

There's also this guy but I'm not annoyed by this, I just think his logic is hilarious.

Spoiler

unknown.png

A+ dude, you've shown me that clearly because he dies to my Soren in one hit, Reinhardt is the worst unit in the game.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Mostly people complaining about him being yet another sword unit, which do I get. But there are also a lot of people saying its pointless to vote for him because he'll be showing up on 8% banners which is annoying because while true those banners are the worst to pull a specific unit on unless you get lucky and/or have a ton of orbs. I'm just tired and feeling petty today.

There's also this guy but I'm not annoyed by this, I just think his logic is hilarious.

Hide contents

unknown.png

A+ dude, you've shown me that clearly because he dies to my Soren in one hit, Reinhardt is the worst unit in the game.

Don't get me wrong, Ike's not gamebreaking, but the number of people I've seen say he's terrible is getting ridiculous.

The only reason I don’t want Ike to win is cause he would not do much for me, just be an occasional unit for AA. I would probably use his regular version more than the legendary version. C!Tharja, I would use the most due to her unit type. Hector is the same scenario has C!Tharja, even if I pull L!Hector. And PA!Azura would be merge for mine, something I’m happy about.

4 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

The only reason I don’t want Ike to win is cause he would not do much for me, just be an occasional unit for AA. I would probably use his regular version more than the legendary version. C!Tharja, I would use the most due to her unit type. Hector is the same scenario has C!Tharja, even if I pull L!Hector. And PA!Azura would be merge for mine, something I’m happy about.

Out of curiosity why? As a unit, he's pretty much strictly superior.

17 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Don't get me wrong, Ike's not gamebreaking, but the number of people I've seen say he's terrible is getting ridiculous.

He's not terrible, but from what I've seen, he's not spectacular either. A slightly altered Ike.

18 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Out of curiosity why? As a unit, he's pretty much strictly superior.

Mostly because I like regular Ike better than L!Ike, also having the fact that I feel like RD Ike should’ve been on a regular banner, not taking the place of a new original character. Plus, he might not stay in my barracks long anyways, due to how I might fodder him off for Def tactic to one of my main arena units

I hope Vanguard Ike wins! Hector would be nice, but Vanguard Ike is limited-time, like Fjorm and Gunnthra. Sure, it's not super easy to get Hector when he's not on a Summoning Focus, but it's literally impossible to get Vanguard Ike since the legendary summoning banner is done.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

He's not terrible, but from what I've seen, he's not spectacular either. A slightly altered Ike.

Basically yeah. But even regular Ike is still fairly decent if built well. He's not S tier IMO, but I'd say he's probably A-ish tier. The big thing he has over regular Ike or Ryoma is that his Aether is either guaranteed to activate on EP with QR or guaranteed to be ready for the next attack. Give him vantage and provided he doesn't get ORKOed, the next enemy who attacks him is probably going to get messed up and he'll heal himself up pretty much fully. 30 speed is shakey, but 33's not too terrible for avoiding doubles and 35 def and 31 res with WB and DD is pretty decent. He's not shaking up te meta by any means, but he's pretty solid.

51 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Mostly because I like regular Ike better than L!Ike, also having the fact that I feel like RD Ike should’ve been on a regular banner, not taking the place of a new original character. Plus, he might not stay in my barracks long anyways, due to how I might fodder him off for Def tactic to one of my main arena units

Ah, makes sense. Regular Ike does still have my favorite artwork of the bunch. Greil's clothes suited him a lot more than they suit Ike IMO and I've just never been hugely fond of RD Ike's design. Still wishing his lord outfit got more attention. For as much as people talk about Def Tactic, I'd much rather have warding breath, but I guess that's just me since I very rarely run mixed teams, especially since Azura became available as a flyer.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I just really don't want Winter Tharja to win. I don't want a story chapter based around her, or for the impression to be given that that is what people want when they think of Fire Emblem (even if CYL and various gauntlets have probably already done that... Since it feels like it is more often than not these days). I also really don't like her art. Not just her clothing, but her face is just... off to me. I didn't even recognise it as Tharja when I first saw it, and even now it looks about as much like her to me as Lloyd does... 

I'd rather have any of the other three win, even if I already have Hector and Azura. I'm continuing to vote for Ike since I don't actually have him in this iteration and another legendary would be nice. Plus I did like him in PoR, even if this is his RD version, which really put me off him. 

I wish we knew how far everything was along from here. Part of me fears that a lot of people have switched their votes over now the finalists have come out... Oh well. I'm debating if she does win if I can bear to use her, or if I will fodder her off to someone. I really don't want her in my catalogue, though. Her face just looks so weird >.<. I prefer her as a shadow... 

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Even if that was the case, V!Ike is still a ridiculously a good unit.

All of them are pretty good units, Vike doesn't stand out that much apart from offering the Earth Boost Bonus, and that Radiant Aether allowing him to perform like DC Bike. Azura gives the best support in the game, Hector can prevent follow-ups from his foes as well as double them, and Tharja can check so many things, and is a god on Armor Emblem. 

As someone who has been using V!Ike quite a bit for casual and Arena gameplay, I'd say there isn't much about him that makes him the most godly amazing thing out there. He's a good unit, but he also has lots of competition in the sword area. I prefer to use Joshua (for mixed defenses good against dragons), Mia for her better stat distribution, or even Gray who has a stat distribution very similar to PoR Ike. The only thing they're missing is DC. Ike beats them all there, and he doesn't have to waste an A slot for it. For my play style, if I want a bulky/strong QR unit, I'm going to gravitate towards Lukas or Adult Tiki. Lukas just has sky high defenses, and while Ike's aren't bad, Lukas will likely tank two melee hits better. Ike has him beat with RES, but not by too much. Adult Tiki loses out in attack, but the refined effect of her weapon is invaluable. And her mixed offenses help her tank things much better. And as far as DC sword users go, Xander is fabulous. Sure, he's a GHB, but with horse buffs, he's still an amazing unit.  

The fact that Ike's a legendary hero is the most appealing part of him honestly. You're not just getting a 5 star unit but a blessing as well. They could have done more with him to make him a...fabulous unit. As it is, he's really only a powercreeped version of himself with a different base kit and slightly different special. His Brave Version has a much better base kit that makes him valuable as fodder and a good unit as well.  (The fact that he's green helps as well.) The devs probably could have given V!Ike a special skill or an additional effect to Ragnell to really hype him up as "legendary." 4 cooldown Aether isn't bad, but when you look at the special skills other units have gotten, it seems a bit lazy. I feel like that's kind of the theme with him. He's better, not bad, not great. But better. Maybe the devs were scared to break the game?

So Ike's a good unit. I think he'll be valuable to players old and new who don't have him. He's a legendary hero, so that's hype, but for me? He doesn't really fit my play style, and because there's not much TOO special about him, he likely won't see much use because there are other characters I have to fill his role that do fit my play style. 

That being said, I still expect him to win. XD 

19 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

As someone who has been using V!Ike quite a bit for casual and Arena gameplay, I'd say there isn't much about him that makes him the most godly amazing thing out there. He's a good unit, but he also has lots of competition in the sword area. I prefer to use Joshua (for mixed defenses good against dragons), Mia for her better stat distribution, or even Gray who has a stat distribution very similar to PoR Ike. The only thing they're missing is DC. Ike beats them all there, and he doesn't have to waste an A slot for it. For my play style, if I want a bulky/strong QR unit, I'm going to gravitate towards Lukas or Adult Tiki. Lukas just has sky high defenses, and while Ike's aren't bad, Lukas will likely tank two melee hits better. Ike has him beat with RES, but not by too much. Adult Tiki loses out in attack, but the refined effect of her weapon is invaluable. And her mixed offenses help her tank things much better. And as far as DC sword users go, Xander is fabulous. Sure, he's a GHB, but with horse buffs, he's still an amazing unit.  

The fact that Ike's a legendary hero is the most appealing part of him honestly. You're not just getting a 5 star unit but a blessing as well. They could have done more with him to make him a...fabulous unit. As it is, he's really only a powercreeped version of himself with a different base kit and slightly different special. His Brave Version has a much better base kit that makes him valuable as fodder and a good unit as well.  (The fact that he's green helps as well.) The devs probably could have given V!Ike a special skill or an additional effect to Ragnell to really hype him up as "legendary." 4 cooldown Aether isn't bad, but when you look at the special skills other units have gotten, it seems a bit lazy. I feel like that's kind of the theme with him. He's better, not bad, not great. But better. Maybe the devs were scared to break the game?

So Ike's a good unit. I think he'll be valuable to players old and new who don't have him. He's a legendary hero, so that's hype, but for me? He doesn't really fit my play style, and because there's not much TOO special about him, he likely won't see much use because there are other characters I have to fill his role that do fit my play style. 

That being said, I still expect him to win. XD 

You mention specials, I wonder what they'll do if/when Chrom and/or Lucina get legendary variants. Radiant Aether wouldn't make sense.

Lets be honest, more or less every unit has value for every player no matter who you vote for and who wins. 

• Ike is a legendary hero, comes with an earth blessing for a +2 ATK boost, is relevant in the new mode and an exceptional red unit. He's DEF Tactic and WB fodder if you have him.
  • Hector is an amazing green unit that's easy to build. Premium DC fodder if you have him already.
  • WE!Tharja is a top notch armor mage and terror on an armor team. Vengeful Fighter fodder if you have her already.
  • PA!Azura is probably the best ground dancer in the game. Not great for much other than merging though if you have one, but a Godsend for those that don't.

Just vote for who you want and stop being so salty everyone. It's not as if Ike is useless if he wins. I don't want Tharja to win but I'm certain she'll strengthen my armor teams and she'll certainly strengthen my Vector if I manage to pull one and want to give him Vengeful Fighter.

That said, another vote for Ike.

Edited by Zeo

At this point I'm wondering how many people dropped off this contest because it has dragged far too long if you ask me. Honestly, almost 20 days just to get a free unit is annoying and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the casual players stopped voting like a week ago or so.

Anyways, 3rd day third vote for "Normal girl".

4 hours ago, Ae†her said:

All of them are pretty good units, Vike doesn't stand out that much apart from offering the Earth Boost Bonus, and that Radiant Aether allowing him to perform like DC Bike. Azura gives the best support in the game, Hector can prevent follow-ups from his foes as well as double them, and Tharja can check so many things, and is a god on Armor Emblem. 

But he does indeed stand out by offering Earth Boost. Under right circumstances that's ticket to tier 20 (probably not just) for me.

4 hours ago, Ae†her said:

I think it's pretty clear what each unit has to offer at this point, but Ike has so many things going for him right now. The only reason I don't want him to win is because I already have 3 of the finalist.

Azura is someone who I really don't want to win, she offers nothing to everyone who already has her, at least everyone else offers a prime skill and despite having two Vectors I really want hector to win, Tharja would be a close second to vengeful up my armours 

Not sure why so many want to fodder off a free Tharja, should she be the one to win. Her inclusion in an armour team alone is worth more than having one of her skills foddered off to another armour. Unless they're a whale.

Edited by Raven

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Not sure why so many want to fodder off a free Tharja, should she be the one to win. Her inclusion in an armour team alone is worth more than having one of her skills foddered off to another armour. Unless they're a whale.

Or if you already have her. While spending money makes it easier to get a single copy of each seasonal, I am sure many non-whales have a Tharja. At which point the question becomes if a merge is worth not having vengeful on another(if neutral is better you can just fodder your original, though that may not be ideal if you heavily invested in her). I am sure some folks who already have her are voting so that they can actually have vengeful on someone else without losing their only copy of her. I know I am. The breaths are nice, but most of my units that want them(mostly dragons) are functioning just fine. I won't be upset if either Ike wins, but I think Vengeful will make a bigger splash on my units. That said if I didn't have any of the units that one would have had all my votes. I have missed lots of seasonals after all.

I’m not sure who I’d give Warding Breath to should Ike win (seal skills are laughable and I don’t see anything special about defense tactics). My dragons could use it well but they’d really miss Fury. Joshua is a great candidate but I’d rather give him distant counter when I get it. Man I wish WB wasn’t limited to so few people, I can’t imagine it being broken on mages really.

19 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

& I still say they're in the minority. The way phrase what you've been saying sounds like it they're the majority but those are the people who are just going to complain for the sake of complaining.

Not that it's hard to imagine what they're saying but what exactly are they saying that would cause you have this reaction when Ike is prime to win?

They have been spreading lies about L!Ike being a bad unit. I’ve seen tons of people saying that regular Ike is better than L!Ike. It’s getting ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Usana said:

Or if you already have her. While spending money makes it easier to get a single copy of each seasonal, I am sure many non-whales have a Tharja. At which point the question becomes if a merge is worth not having vengeful on another(if neutral is better you can just fodder your original, though that may not be ideal if you heavily invested in her). I am sure some folks who already have her are voting so that they can actually have vengeful on someone else without losing their only copy of her. I know I am. The breaths are nice, but most of my units that want them(mostly dragons) are functioning just fine. I won't be upset if either Ike wins, but I think Vengeful will make a bigger splash on my units. That said if I didn't have any of the units that one would have had all my votes. I have missed lots of seasonals after all.

I'll confidently say that there are many more non-whales without a Tharja than there are non-whales with a Tharja. True if people already have a Tharja, then using spare copies for inheriting her skills to others may well be worth it to them. I'm a part of the majority who do not own her, but would really like a copy for more armour team options.

Whichever of these do win, this is what I'd do with them, in order of preference:

WTharja: Replace Black Knight in my core armour team. Also provides more team options for future armour team quests.
Hector: Extra Distant Counter for someone. Probably Ayra or Sigurd. Sigurd would replace Xander in my core cavalry team if he obtains DC.
VIke: Use as the new base and merge my -Atk VIke into him. May also merge my second untrained -Atk VIke into it for +2 merge.
Axura: Merge her into my current Axura, for 5*+2.

I'm beginning to speculate that the Voting Gauntlet might be based on the Hero Rises results, even though practically anything is possible for whatever theme they have in mind.