If there was a Blazing Sword remake...

LdotRage

Obviously, I doubt that the FE team is going to remake Blazing Sword -- certainly not anytime soon, if at all -- and, honestly, I'm fine with that. IMHO, despite being relatively old now (at least for video game standards), the GBA titles really hold up; they've aged beautifully.

With that said, hypothetically, if there was a remake made, what do y'all think would be the best way to make it? Just update the graphics and leave the rest untouched? Overhaul the whole thing? Keep the combat system or update it to be more similar to later titles? etc. IDK, I just think it's really fun to talk about how older games could be improved by remakes, even if they've aged as well as FE7.

Personally, I would keep the combat system relatively unchanged; maybe tweak a few things to be slightly more "modern", but overall leave it be. I certainly wouldn't say no to unlimited weapon uses, like in Fates, but that would require a lot of balancing. Same deal with most of the maps -- they're fine the way they are. As for the story, I would revamp the script a lot -- it always seemed a bit bland and emotionless to me, at least compared to other FE games -- but the overall plot is probably fine the way it is.

Other than that, just update the graphics, streamline the support system, add a Casual mode plus Normal / Hard / Lunatic / Lunatic+, make the tutorial in Lyn's story skippable (and her story less boring in general), and it would be great.

So those are my two cents. What would y'all change / leave the same?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blazing Blade is one of those games that I don't think needs much change in terms of gameplay or story. What's there works incredibly well and there's very little I'd change out of necessity. There are some things I wouldn't mind changing/adding for the sake of trying to be different from the original; not required, but might be neat.

• Add more units: I have no idea what could be done for original units and there aren't many NPCs or enemies who could be made into units, but I wouldn't be surprised if more were added. Personally, I'd be interested to see one of the Reed brothers (the one you don't kill first perhaps) be recruitable. I also wouldn't mind seeing some units be recruitable earlier so I feel more inclined to use them (Karla and Renault).
  • Eliwood's weapon: I expect nobody to agree with me on this one and it won't ever happen in a hypothetical remake, but I want to see Eliwood use a lance instead of a sword. In Binding Blade, his highest weapon rank was an S with lances and I think it would be cool if each lord covered a different part of the weapon triangle. Again, it'll never happen, but I'd be okay if it happened.
  • Story/script: Not really a change, more like just an improvement. I enjoy the story of this game and I wouldn't change any plot events, but I wouldn't mind seeing certain parts given more detail: Athos and Nergal surviving for 500 years (The answer is magic, but I'd like a bit more detail), Bramimond reviving Ninian (Again, magic, but I like details), and more lore regarding Kishuna and his actions throughout the game (As is, he seems to attack you without a reason and doesn't seem to be on Nergal's side).
  • Mark as a unit: I'm not insisting that Mark should be an avatar, I want to see Mark as a playable unit. Give him a personality,  a backstory, character interactions, they could give him a small role in the plot if they wanted to or just make him a recurring character who talks with the lords. I'd hope for him to be a Shaman, since magic units are often made tacticians in FE and it'd give the player more units who can use dark magic who aren't Canas (who's recruited in a side-quest) and Athos (who is endgame only).

Gonna say this again, not all of these ideas are realistic and while I want these in a hypothetical remake, I don't expect them (save for the story stuff) in any potential remake. Blazing Blade is one of my favorite video games and it's why I want a remake that's different; I have no problems playing the original, so I want to see a fresh take on it, one that'll give me the same joy as the original while being something that I haven't played before.

Edit: I knew I forgot something. Not sure how it would work before the three lords come together, but I'd love to see the main story of the game from Lyn's perspective and not just the opening chapters. 

Edited by Chconroy

Well, lets see, leaving some of the obvious behind (like graphics):

- Obviously adding more units would be cool. Then again, I think the original amount of unit is fine enough, but having some more wouldn't hurt.

- Lyn's story be improved or not simply remain as "the tutorial chapters". Like, I kind of want her story to have some more chapters, and perhaps more...impact, on the player, or making it more emotional. Lyn should also gain some more importance in Eliwood's and Hector's story.

- Eliwood should become a lance user so all the lord have a different weapon. Although, I guess it would be unlikely because of Durandal. Lyn could become  an archer or lance user instead of a sword user, but then again, its unlikely because of the Manni Katti.

- Make the Sol Katti better, please.

- Mark should have an actual personality and perhaps a personality and interactions with all the characters. He may or may not be a playable unit, although I would prefer he isn't.

and maybe I'll think of some more later. For now, this is what I have to say.

Did Heroes do something with Elibe recently? How many "Elibe remake when?"' posts are we going to get? Maybe it's just me.  

Most of the things you suggested would make the game a remaster, rather than a remake. FE7 is still very modern and better in some areas than some of the newer games, it could only be improved by graphical and audio updates. Though a lot of people seem to have a hard on for GBA FE graphics, so there's bound to be disagreement.  

If I had a choice in the matter, I'd leave it untouched until another decade or so. IS should focus on new titles. 

By the way, unbreakable weapons do not belong anywhere outside of Gaiden,Fates, or a new title featuring them.

I would hope the Jugdral games get remade first, mainly because they're older and need the updating, but I wouldn't be pissed if the Elibe games got remade. I wouldn't be surprised if Blazing Blade is the next Echoes tbh, since IS is convinced that we treat Lyn as our "Marth" and not Marth as our "Marth". That being said, here's a few of my ideas, as well as bouncing off what other people said:

• I don't want to change the writing too much, because we already know the story and it'll be confusing if the plot got switched up. However, there are areas for improvement. The biggest one being Lyn's story. I would like the option to skip it after we've beaten the game (or saved past a certain point like Fates) and it needs to be more interesting. The beginning is supposed to hook the player in but I find it more on the boring side. The story doesn't really pick up until Eli and Hector are introduced.
  • Branching promotions. Why not? I know the original didn't have them, but seeing as they're one game off from it being introduced in SS, I think it could be interesting.
  • Give Ninian + Nils a different song and sound for different rings. This is just detailing, but I think fans would appreciate something small like this.
  • Maybe pair up? I'm on the fence on this one, but I think it may be nice for a gameplay perspective if it's done similarly to Fates. Plus, it may seem more friendly/familiar to newer hardcore fans and casuals.
  • While we're at modern mechanics, I do think skills should be added.
  • Maybe add a few more supports? Each character already has a few written for them, so adding 1-3 more could be cool. One idea is Hector and Priscilla, mainly because I think it would make sense for Lilina to be the daughter of Priscilla (same demeanor and has magic abiliites) and it could unify their houses and put the past behind for a more united Lycian Alliance.
  • Different difficulty modes.
  • If Mark is becoming more than just the silent protagonist they're supposed to be (and I'm fine keeping them like that), then maybe they should just go all out with customization. I want to pick out their clothes/background.
  • Maybe include some of the older characters from 6. Douglas, Dayan, Zelot, and maybe Niime should be included. Although, I'm not sure how Douglas can be worked in the story since Eturia isn't as big of a deal in this game. The others should be easier though.

Let me add my two centavos into the mix:

• Mark as a playable unit, but the class options are normal classes (Cavalier, Knight, Mercenary, Myrmidon, Mage, Shaman, Monk, Fighter, Pirate, etc.) selected akin to FE12. Maybe add a "country of origin" to add a boost to a certain stat and restrict class options. (ex. Etruria adds to Magic and restricts you to magic-users and Cavs, Sacae adds Speed or Skill and unlocks myrmidon/nomad, Bern unlocks Wyvern Knights alongside adding to Strength or Defense, Ilia adds to Resistance and has Mercs, Shamans, and exclusive Pegs.)
  • More classes, more weapon usage variety, branched promotions, and hybrid classes? (We can go all out Elibian Nights with GK Lowen, Lance/Bow Wil, Mage Knight Erk, think of all the possibilities!)
  • Nils x Lyn romantic support to satisfy all the Nils x Lyn shippers. (Current count: 1)
  • Retcon so Canas lives. (After all, I don't think it was ever explicitly stated by Hugh or Niime that Hugh's father died in FE6.)
  • No support limit, but only 1 A-Support. Add more supports too. (Erk and Canas talking about magic, anyone? How about Serra pestering Renault?)
  • Add some characters in an amount relative to the number of characters in the original cast? (maybe)
  • Casual Mode.
  • Turn off tutorial mode.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Blazing Blade remains one of my favorite Fire Emblem games, so I wouldn't want them to change much about it. I definitely liked Mark's role here better than Robin's role in Awakening or Corrin's role in Fates, and I think that's probably because Mark isn't a playable unit.

I would like them to fix the programming errors that make it impossible to get 5 star Tactics in holdout and Hector-exclusive chapters, though.

And maybe change the Support mechanism, since it's impossible to get certain supports in ranked runs. (Bartre-Karla should not take as long as it does, for example.)

This is less remake material than completely new material, but I would like to see a bit of how Mark "changed the course of history" if you got an A or S rank. Maybe a few bonus chapters where you get to see the forces of Bern and Etruria fighting over you, and maybe a bit of information about why they're fighting over you.

They should also make Durandal the same size in Eliwood's hand as in Roland's. The opening crawl shows that it's not quite as large as Hartmut's weapon (which is either the Sword of Seals or Eckesachs).

Eliwood should become a lance user so all the lord have a different weapon.

Eliwood is a lance user after promotion, and every lord does have a different set of weapons: Lyn has swords and bows, Eliwood has swords and lances, and Hector has axes and swords.

I would like the option to skip it after we've beaten the game

The original game already has this: When starting a new game after beating the game at least once, you have the option to start with Lyn, Eliwood, or Hector.

Edited by Paper Jam

I think the top choices would be:

1) Allow the player to turn off the tutorial from the start instead of this only being a thing in Hard mode.

2) Make Captain Fargus recruitable perhaps he joins when he drops the team on the Dread Isle for the 2nd time

3) I would like it if for classes that can wield 2 or 3 weapons the Arena allows you to choose which weapon you are going to use instead of automatically deciding for you.

Aside from that for the most part I would want the game to remain unchanged.

Obvious Tweaks that Would Make the Game Better

1) Mark as a playable unit with dialogue and supports. 

2) Fix the mechanic for building supports, so that it works the way it works in Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. As opposed to--say--parking--Serra next to Erk and clicking "End Turn" for 80+ turns just to hit  C Rank. That was a stupid, antiquated way of implementing supports that should never again be used in any fire emblem game.

Things that Would Make the Fanboy in Me Happy, But That They Don't Need to Implement and Probably Never Will

1) Make Lloyd or Linus recruitable with Nino on Cog of Destiny.

2) Add Lunatic Difficulty

3) Extend the support chain and add S-Supports for certain pairings (i.e. an S support for Florina/Hector. Make Jaffar/Nino's A-support their S support, and give them another support conversation earlier in the chain of A/B/C. Change Pent and Louis's default support setting from "A" to "S.")

4) Canonize the Awakening DLC hint-drops that FE7 Mark is the lost future-child of Robin, who got separated from Morgan and the other children and redirected through an outrealm gate to Elibe when the time travel fucked up. 

Up-in-the-Air

1) Should they keep or fix the mine glitch?

2) If they keep the mine glitch should they fix the glitch-within-a-glitch that lets you get the "Uber Spear" and all its crazy boosts, if you use it to swap Vaida's weapon with the shaman that drops Nosferatu the first time you fight her?  

Edited by Shoblongoo

55 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

2) If they keep the mine glitch should they fix the glitch-within-a-glitch that lets you get the "Uber Spear" and all its crazy boosts, if you use it to swap Vaida's weapon with the shaman that drops Nosferatu the first time you fight her?  

You can also have her pass it to Merlinus, it's gas to be honest. But yeah, they're likely to not have the mine glitch in a hypothetical remake.

Either way, I'm not sure what specifically to change for a BS remake. I don't think I'd be too into expanding Mark, but that all depends on execution. Bringing it and BB closer together is one thing I'd want, alongside improving the lords as it seems like they are kind of crap unless they're Hector on higher difficulties, at least for ranked/LTC.

I'm anti- remake in general, so I'll just say some mechanical things

Kishuna - needs to be less of a dodgetank, especially with the turn limit to unlock some of the gaidens (other strong throne bonus bosses are less of a problem since getting the highest rank isn't that demanding)

Hard mode unlocked by default -

Level design should be made less reliant on checking position triggers to activate enemy AI / reinforcements. 

11 hours ago, Køkø said:

Did Heroes do something with Elibe recently? How many "Elibe remake when?"' posts are we going to get? Maybe it's just me.  

Most of the things you suggested would make the game a remaster, rather than a remake. FE7 is still very modern and better in some areas than some of the newer games, it could only be improved by graphical and audio updates. Though a lot of people seem to have a hard on for GBA FE graphics, so there's bound to be disagreement.  

If I had a choice in the matter, I'd leave it untouched until another decade or so. IS should focus on new titles. 

By the way, unbreakable weapons do not belong anywhere outside of Gaiden,Fates, or a new title featuring them.

I believe it originally started up because the director for SoV said he personally wanted to remake Binding Blade, and people combined that with the mention that they'd like to use Echoes as a title for other games. My question is why the general aura your post gives off is that's a bad thing.

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I believe it originally started up because the director for SoV said he personally wanted to remake Binding Blade, and people combined that with the mention that they'd like to use Echoes as a title for other games. My question is why the general aura your post gives off is that's a bad thing.

That wasn't recently though.

The answer to your question is in my post you quoted.

On February 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Køkø said:

That wasn't recently though.

The answer to your question is in my post you quoted.

Hm..then I'm afraid I'm not sure.

Do you mean the 'they should focus on newer titles' thing? I guess we have different opinions - I think Genealogy and Binding Blade fans have had to wait long enough for a non-emulator version of those games, and I think Blazing Sword should be done before Binding Blade because it makes more sense storywise. Then there's Sacred Stones, which I personally don't mind waiting for because it's on VC on the WiiU, but at the same time Magvel has had the least love from the devs out of the whole series until the recent Heroes stuff, and even then that's just Heroes. I think we both agree Tellius can wait just a bit more than the rest, though.

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Do you mean the 'they should focus on newer titles' thing? I guess we have different opinions - I think Genealogy and Binding Blade fans have had to wait long enough for a non-emulator version of those games, and I think Blazing Sword should be done before Binding Blade because it makes more sense storywise. Then there's Sacred Stones, which I personally don't mind waiting for because it's on VC on the WiiU, but at the same time Magvel has had the least love from the devs out of the whole series until the recent Heroes stuff, and even then that's just Heroes. I think we both agree Tellius can wait just a bit more than the rest, though.

Yes.

The director of Echoes has expressed no interest in Jugdral whatsoever. For me, this is a good thing as I don't trust modern FE devs at the moment. 

Blazing Blade may come before Binding Blade story wise, but a Binding Blade remake is more realizable. 

Firstly, Echoes' director explicitly expressed interest in it. 

Secondly, Roy is much more popular than anything in FE7, you can thank Smash Bros for that. No one answered my question the last time I asked, so I assume I'm correct with the following. FE7 is not very popular in Japan.

Third,  combine the previous two with the fact that Binding Blade has yet to be officially released outside of Japan. 

Fourth, it comes before Blazing Blade in our real world timeline. If they were to skip over Jugdral, Binding Blade would be next in line.  

I don't care what they do with Sacred Stones. Don't see that anytime soon

Tellius does not need a remake period. A remaster, yeah. The only thing they could add would be better graphics, a skip enemy phase button, a speed fix to that god-awful epilogue in POR, and better supports for RD.

16 hours ago, Køkø said:

The director of Echoes has expressed no interest in Jugdral whatsoever. For me, this is a good thing as I don't trust modern FE devs at the moment. 

Blazing Blade may come before Binding Blade story wise, but a Binding Blade remake is more realizable. 

Firstly, Echoes' director explicitly expressed interest in it. 

Secondly, Roy is much more popular than anything in FE7, you can thank Smash Bros for that. No one answered my question the last time I asked, so I assume I'm correct with the following. FE7 is not very popular in Japan.

Third,  combine the previous two with the fact that Binding Blade has yet to be officially released outside of Japan. 

Fourth, it comes before Blazing Blade in our real world timeline. If they were to skip over Jugdral, Binding Blade would be next in line.  

I don't care what they do with Sacred Stones. Don't see that anytime soon

Tellius does not need a remake period. A remaster, yeah. The only thing they could add would be better graphics, a skip enemy phase button, a speed fix to that god-awful epilogue in POR, and better supports for RD.

You make some good points. On my end, I see it as Jugdral fans have a less-accessible game than Elibe fans, even taking emulators into consideration, but you are correct in that Elibe is more popular. You're also right that Blazing Sword is less popular thanks to Roy in Smash and to a lesser extent in Heroes, since about the only thing Eliwood has over Roy is that he has a Cavalry Buff Skill thanks to Brave Roy taking away Eliwood's Cavalry Status and Durandal access as advantages Eliwood had. On the other hand, they'll receive backlash either way they release the games, but I think Binding Blade's fans will give them less backlash because if Blazing Sword gets a remake first I believe they'll recognize that they're next and it's not like we're not used to waiting or being relatively shafted at this point.

As for Tellius, I think it could use a remake, but not for another decade or so at the minimum. I also think having Voice Acting in other stuff than the cutscenes would be a plus for Tellius.

Here's how I would remake it. 1. Remake both FE7 and FE6 into the same game with 2 generations. That way fans can have their pairings and such with the cast of FE7, however characters with a canon pairing already (example: Pent/Louise, Bartre/Karla, Dorcas/Natalie) cannot be paired with anyone else. Then in FE6 there will be brand new characters being the offspring of the fathers in FE7. There will be pairings in FE6 but no children. 2. Story, and chapters will remain unchanged. And everything will be voice acted. 3. Updated graphics and orchestrated remixes of the original soundtrack. 4. Fates style pair-up system. 5. Mark becomes a playable avatar and gets actual dialogue but doesn't impact the story at all. 6. Reclassing through second seals and branched promotions through master seals. The lords can promote whenever. Soldier class is playable promotes to halberdier. 7. Animated cutscenes. 

I do like the idea of having FE7 and FE6 as one game, although that might be a bit too much game to put all in one package. Maybe, instead, there could be some feature where you could link your FE7 file upon starting up a new FE6 file, and it would make all your pairings "canon"? Also, if both FE6 and FE7 got remade, then I would really, really like to see Lyndis have a kid of her own. In fact, FE6, in general, could be tweaked in places so that it fits with FE7 a bit better. There were a couple places in FE7 where you could really feel them struggling to explain how all this leads to FE6, and it'd probably just amount to a bunch of minor, easy fixes. Plus, like I said, hopefully adding kids for Lyn and maybe other FE7 units without them?

More supports would definitely be a huge plus. I'd particularly like to see more romance/paired ending options for the lords.  (same sex couples would probably be asking too much but I would never in a million years say no to a Florina/Lyn S Support)

Eliwood being a lance user from the start would be nice, although it's not too necessary. I definitely think Lyn should remain a sword user in the beginning, though. Lyn Mode is easy as hell, but I think it would be frustrating trying to navigate it with your main character being an archer.

Actually, while most of FE7's story is perfectly fine the way it is, I think Lyn's story could definitely benefit from an overhaul. Make the tutorial skippable, make it more difficult in general, and possibly edit the timeline a bit so that it takes place right before Eliwood/Hector mode. That way, instead of having a brief and mostly meaningless cameo, Eliwood and Hector could show up a few times here and there to set up their story in the background, so the switch wouldn't feel as sudden and jarring, and Lyn Mode wouldn't feel as fruitless after completion.

(But yeah, I really don't think Elibe remakes are all that likely, I just think it's fun to speculate about how they would work. It's really interesting to see how different fans imagine a possible remake.)

51 minutes ago, LdotRage said:

I do like the idea of having FE7 and FE6 as one game, although that might be a bit too much game to put all in one package.

Are you referring to game size or game length? Game size could be an issue, but if IS is willing to make a game as long as Radiant Dawn, I feel FE6+7 is manageable.

58 minutes ago, LdotRage said:

More supports would definitely be a huge plus. I'd particularly like to see more romance/paired ending options for the lords.  (same sex couples would probably be asking too much but I would never in a million years say no to a Florina/Lyn S Support)

Agree with Lyn/Florina. I could also see Lucius/Raven.

1 hour ago, Chconroy said:

Are you referring to game size or game length? Game size could be an issue, but if IS is willing to make a game as long as Radiant Dawn, I feel FE6+7 is manageable.

I was referring more to the amount of plot, rather than the length of the story. Like, FE6 and FE7 are pretty distinct stories with completely separate casts of characters, so it'd be kinda weird and jarring to make it all the way through FE7 and then suddenly stumble headfirst into FE6, a completely different plotline with completely different characters that takes place a full generation after the previous story, now with most of the old characters dead, off-screen, or not even referenced at all. It would be the same problem I have with the sloppy transition between Lyn Mode and Eliwood/Hector Mode, only to a much larger degree.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if both games were playable from the start -- as in, you could select a game from the start menu or something -- but, after beating FE7, it offered you a chance to start a new game in FE6 with all your pairings carried over. Or something similar.

Agree with Lyn/Florina. I could also see Lucius/Raven.

Lucius/Raven would definitely be a must-have. Bit of a weird one, but Guy/Rath would also fit nicely.

1 hour ago, LdotRage said:

I was referring more to the amount of plot, rather than the length of the story. Like, FE6 and FE7 are pretty distinct stories with completely separate casts of characters, so it'd be kinda weird and jarring to make it all the way through FE7 and then suddenly stumble headfirst into FE6, a completely different plotline with completely different characters that takes place a full generation after the previous story, now with most of the old characters dead, off-screen, or not even referenced at all. It would be the same problem I have with the sloppy transition between Lyn Mode and Eliwood/Hector Mode, only to a much larger degree.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if both games were playable from the start -- as in, you could select a game from the start menu or something -- but, after beating FE7, it offered you a chance to start a new game in FE6 with all your pairings carried over. Or something similar.

I think that's what Mystery of the Emblem did for the Shadow Dragon content and the new content.

The last time Nintendo and Intelligent Systems had two games in one was with FE3. Didn't the "FE1 remake" aspect of FE3 compare unfavorably to the original FE1?

That's what worries me most about any "two games in one" idea.

Edited by Paper Jam

• 3 weeks later...

My personal recommendation for a potenial Blazing Sword remake.

1. Stronger enemies - The fact 13-14 speed is enough to double most things in the game is really sad. Give enemies units better equipment for late game, silver weapons, not steel please. Improve unit variety and have it make sense for the faction that your fighting for that chapter. The main anagonists of the game are a gang of assassins. Why so many lances? Let's make use of faster enemy classes like Swordmasters with killing edges and high HP or Assassins with Killer weapons. Long story short, give us better enemies IS.

2. Skills - Skills are pretty standard now since the Tellius games reintroduced them and skills would be a nice addition to FE7. Like for example, give Lyn a skill like "Quick Draw" where when she intiates combat she gets something like +3 Atk and 15% crit. Something character specific, like a hybrid between SoV and Fates skills system.

3. Weapon effectiveness - The original Japanese version had the 3x, but the localized version toned it down to 2x. Let's bring the triple effectiveness back. Let the Rapier and Mani Katti be the cav/knights nukes they were always meant to be.

4. Nerf Paladins - WTC is too good, reign it back IS. No more Axes.

5. Ultimate Weapons - This is last because they exist for only one chapter, but Durandal and Sol Katti need some help. Reduce their weight by at least 4 and give Sol Katti 3 more might. Then we're talking.