Ilyana considered bad?

This might sound like a stupid question, I'm not sure (feel free to close the topic if it is), but why do people consider Ilyana to be a bad unit? I've never had any problems with her, Ilyana is one of the best units in the DB chapters and has amazing availability, access to a legendary weapon, and is faster and tankier than Micaiah and Sanaki. Ilyana has always been one of my best characters and a solid choice for endgame.

Ilyana has a decent start, but uses thunder, the worst magic in the game, and has poor speed. She's likely to be pretty far behind when she joins the mercenaries in part 3 and doesn't have much of anywhere to go.

Well, she starts of with good enough bases. But her growth distribution is poor, Thunder is the worst type of magic in the game and mages are already very underpowered. It doesn't exactly help that the Dawn Brigade is desperate for experience, so investing in a character who won't stick around after Part 1 isn't all that tempting. And when she shows up again in Part 3, she is outclassed right off the bat by Soren. And it's not like Soren is all that good in the first place.

Yes Ilyanna got hit with the nerf bat (unintentionally or intentionally) in RD. Also her base stats aren't the best and her availability also isn't the best considering she joins the GMs rather late (and also at a low level so you'll need to baby her a bit). Magic in general took a hit in RD, with Thunder being the worst of the 3 since the tomes got nerfed the most (Fire being the best imo since it is a happy medium between accuracy and damage and didn't receive too many nerfs and actually had a few buffs).

image.png.8d95dac0454d64b3b9d72cd8cd01b3ba.png

Also the biggest reason why she is bad is because she is part of the Dawn Brigade. You really have to be selective with who you feed your exp to in the DBs because they get EXP screwed very easily, so it is very hard to justify using Ilyana over Jill/Edward/Nolan/Micaiah/Zihark? In reality, you can train maybe 2-3 solid units with the amount of resources available with the DB chapters, so they don't fall behind in the later chapters of the game.

Edited by Lunarly

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Thunder is the worst type of magic in the game 

Yeah, it's not as though the game has a playable Dark Magic user or anything... Oh, wait, Pelleas exists on a second playthrough or higher.

1 hour ago, Lunarly said:

and her availability also isn't the best considering she joins the GMs rather late 

Are you high or something? Ilyana has more availability than anyone else in the whole game, and joins the GM's in 3-2, which is hardly "late" by any standards. You even had the wiki open (as seen in your post) and you still managed to balls it up! :facepalm:

Edited by NinjaMonkey

44 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Yeah, it's not as though the game has a playable Dark Magic user or anything... Oh, wait, Pelleas exists on a second playthrough or higher.

Dark Magic has low hit but the highest attack power of any type of magic. Thunder has the same low accuracy but also the lowest attack power of any type of magic. So yeah, Dark Magic is still terrible but at least it's good at something.

Edited by BrightBow

38 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Are you high or something? Ilyana has more availability than anyone else in the whole game, and joins the GM's in 3-2, which is hardly "late" by any standards. You even had the wiki open (as seen in your post) and you still managed to balls it up! :facepalm:

Idk why you felt the need to call me out on "being high" lol, but you do you. And I had the wiki open to compare the before/after stats of Thunder tomes to show how hard thunder magic got hit.

24 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Dark Magic has low hit but the highest attack power of any type of magic. Thunder has the same low accuracy but also the lowest attack power of any type of magic. So yeah, Dark Magic is still terrible but at least it's good at something.

I would disagree here - your only dark magic users require a second run, and one of them requires you to bring the other (who's pretty bad and comes underleveled) to endgame just to use the SS dark tome, which obviously got the short straw compared to the others (only 75 hit against every other tome's 100+ hit).

11 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I would disagree here - your only dark magic users require a second run, and one of them requires you to bring the other (who's pretty bad and comes underleveled) to endgame just to use the SS dark tome, which obviously got the short straw compared to the others (only 75 hit against every other tome's 100+ hit).

The thing is, this isn't about Pelleas, this is about Ilyana and her being held back by her school of magic.  If she had access to Dark Magic instead of Thunder then she would start out with a spell that is as strong as Arkthunder right of the bat. It would be a winning trade.

Edited by BrightBow

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The thing is, this isn't about Pelleas, this is about Ilyana and her being held back by her school of magic.  If she had access to Dark Magic instead of Thunder, then she would start out with a spell that is as strong as Arkthunder right of the bat. It would be a winning trade.

Perhaps, but I'd argue Pelleas is similarly held back as well thanks to being stuck with the least accurate magic types - she at least has more accurate options after promotion. Also, Rexbolt is at least good for something (that being laying a hurting on Dheginsea), whereas Balberith isn't.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Perhaps, but I'd argue Pelleas is similarly held back as well thanks to being stuck with the least accurate magic types - she at least has more accurate options after promotion. Also, Rexbolt is at least good for something, whereas Balberith isn't.

But that's not the topic at hand now, is it?

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I don't think dark magic itself is terrible. It would be good on a unit with good skill.

2 hours ago, Lunarly said:

Idk why you felt the need to call me out on "being high" lol, but you do you. And I had the wiki open to compare the before/after stats of Thunder tomes to show how hard thunder magic got hit.

NinjaMonkey is a troll. Don't listen to him.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

But that's not the topic at hand now, is it?

It isn't, but all the same, I'm just telling it as I see it - dark magic might make her better... in the short run, that is.

Ilyana is... okay in part 1. "Micaiah with slightly better HP/speed who can't use Thani and has way worse accuracy" is a losing trade but hardly their worst unit. In part 3 there's no reason to use her that I can see. Soren outclasses her almost completely. And Soren isn't that good.

She was pretty mediocre in PoR too, having the lowest speed of any of the non-Bastian mages and no other particularly good stats to make up for it... but she was a bit better then because at least she specialized in the best magic type, instead of the worst.

In my PoR hard mode I used Ilyana from the chapter you can recruit her to endgame. I really didn't think she was that bad. Sure, in the later parts of the game, Soren completely beats her in every way mostly because he can double enemies while Ilyana can't.(at least in my walkthrough; its possible my Ilyana got speed screwed) This means Soren can OHKO most enemies for me near the later parts of the game. However, I rarely saw her accuracy go below 100 even with bad biorhythm, and is very reliable accuracy wise. Also, most enemies besides mages have lower resistance than defense, which means Ilyana was quite useful to me. She could survive most physical weapons like handaxes, bows, javelins for me so as long as I heal her up, she will be ready next turn to fight. 

I just finished Part 1 of RD in JP hard/EN normal mode and from what I have played from Ilyana, I am probably not going to use her. The speed problem from PoR was here again, but this time, her accuracy was in the 50s at times and there is no way I am going to trust take units with that bad accuracy. Heck, even Micaiah, who I read from most forums that she was not a good unit, had her uses of killing armored units with Thani and weaken enemies reliably since her accuracy was very high. Can't say the same for Ilyana for this game. 

Magic on the whole is very bad in RD, it's possibly the least friendly game for it in all of FE.

Problem one is low Might vs. physical weapons, particularly the Blades/Greatlances/Poleaxes. Balberith, the strong tome in the game at 15 Might, is only as strong as a Steel Poleaxe, which is 7 points weaker than Urvan. More typically, you're stuck with the 7 Mt Elfire, weaker than a Hand Axe, and half the Mt of a Steel Greatlance. Without effective bonuses, which are rare beyond some Dracoes for Anima users and Micaiah using Thani, Magic is always weaker than physical weaponry.

Problem two is relatively high enemy Resistance, outside of Tigers, Generals (but you can Hammer them!), Red Dragons, and Dracoknights (Wyrmslayer!), enemies typically have 4-7 less Res than Def, a gap so small that as you can see from the above Mt discussion, the typical gap at its largest is perfectly closed by a Steel Greatlance.

Problem three is that magic classes in RD have low Spd, so they can rarely double (Archsage Ilyana has 30 as her cap- the lowest of any Marshall version), cutting back further their offensive potential. That their durability is just as crappy as in other games means they can't tank at all to compensate for their poor offense, something even inferior physical units can do.

Problem four, while Archsages can heal, Vulneraries and Concoctions lessen the need for Staffs more than usual in this game. And an Archsage without the trade-equip trick will be stuck with the Staff equipped come the enemy phase. Unlike the days of Pent where he Physics away on the frontline and then Thunders the poor fools that approach him on the enemy phase.

Ilyana inherits all of these issues shared by other mages, and then tacks on her own additional problem. That is eating experience from the team that desperately needs every drop it can get for Part 3, but then leaving said team in Part 3 for the group that has a deluge of EXP. Call it "Ilyana's dine and dash". And yet even with a fair bit of EXP from Part 1, upon joining the GMs in Part 3, she'll probably be no higher than say 20/3 at best, which will make her underleveled by Part 3 standards and she will never truly contribute a net gain for all her snacking. 

Ilyana does have 4-F-3 on her side since she alone can use Rexbolt, but this is hardly worth the investment. A Wyrmslayer on Stefan could do almost the same thing for zero investment.

I think if Ilyana does ever pay off in her entire existence, it'd be with transfer bonuses in Part 1, since if you could get her Mag and Spd, she could possibly double and deal good damage. Without them, she could still deal a decent chip, but hardly much more.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

She was pretty mediocre in PoR too, having the lowest speed of any of the non-Bastian mages and no other particularly good stats to make up for it... but she was a bit better then because at least she specialized in the best magic type, instead of the worst.

She's got significant availability over Tormod, and her Magic is a little better, even if he is faster and has Celerity. If Soren doesn't have a forged Thunder and instead he and Ilyana are using Elthunder, they should have the same AS due to Soren's low Str. She isn't a terrible replacement for him. PoR wasn't very friendly to Magic either as a side note.

Here is a little PoR comparison of the magic users I whipped on some time ago:

Spoiler

The Great Mage Debate: Path of Radiance: Soren v. Ilyana v. Tormod v. Calill v. Bastian (also v. Rhys and v. Mist)

• Stats (.5 or higher rounded up, .4 or lower rounded down) (HP/Str/Mag/Skl/Spd/Luk/Def/Res)
    • 20/10 Stats (and Bastian’s lvl 13 bases):
      • Soren: 35/3/24/25/21/13/8/24
      • Ilyana: 34/9/21/22/18/16/8/24
      • Tormod: 35/8/21/20/21/16/12/21
      • Calill: 34/9/21/20/20/17/10/18
      • Bastian: 35/12/19/21/16/15/12/20
      • (Rhys: 35/3/28/22/17/20/9/28)
      • (Mist: 33/13/22/12/21/23/9/20)
    • 20/20 Stats:
      • Soren: 39/4/30/28/25/16/10/28
      • Ilyana: 39/11/26/27/21/21/10/28
      • Tormod: 40/10/25/24/25/19/14/25
      • Calill: 39/12/25/24/24/20/14/22
      • Bastian: 39/15/24/26/20/17/14/24
      • (Rhys: 39/3/29/22/21/25/11/30)
      • (Mist: 38/16/26/15/25/29/11/24)
  • Overall Analysis:
    • Durability: The durability of all the magic characters is near identical- you really can’t call any of them more fragile than the rest. Mist has a bit better avoid, but thanks to her WTD against lances, it is hardly much.
  • Weapons:
    • Elwind and Elthunder (and Soren v. Ilyana at 20/20): The most commonly used tome in the game will certainly be Elthunder, which has 7 might and 6 weight (and 10 crit). Nobody but Soren of all the mages has issues wielding it (who can fix it with an energy drop- but that is unlikely to be his). Soren’s loss of 3 to Elthunder effectively undoes his speed lead on Ilyana, with Soren with Elwind (4 mt 2 wt) can trade the speed lead loss for a magic lead loss. By keeping his speed lead however with Elwind, Soren can possibly double things Ilyana cannot- outdoing her that way. Let us use Endgame enemies for examples, Final enemies average 18 AS, Ilyana can’t double anything other than Wyverns and generals, but Soren can double all but SMs. Forging a Thunder tome also works for Soren, although that takes extra gold.
    • Enter Tormod (and Elfire): Tormod keeps Soren’s good speed, but his magic is 3-5 less. Seeing how Soren needs every last point of that precious 25 speed to double some things in Endgame- including the Cats and two of the powerful Red Dragons (21 AS). Enemy generals have 46 HP and 15 Res, even with maxed magic, Soren’s 37 atk (Elthunder) cannot one round without a critical (which Tormod has a virtually identical chance of doing) or an adept proc (two 25% chances). A Halberdier has 45/9, more typical for other enemies of the battle, and Soren has 37 atk (Elthunder), Soren ORKOs no problem. Tormod has 32 atk, and just barely scores the same KO, though he does. The Red Dragons are going to be a team effort no matter what.
    • Rare Anima (barring steals): Given the sluggishness of weapon ranks in this game, no base mage will likely obtain more than an A in one anima rank. Thoron is slightly better than Bolganone, definitely better than Tornado, and everybody should go for it. Rexbolt is usable for only the last fight, but strong, though heavy. The differences in the stats of long-range magic don’t matter much, Soren is going to be bogged down by them much more than his rivals, but his magic lead still helps if nobody else doubles. 
    • Light: The basic Light tome has 2mt and 4wt, what garbage (prohibitively expensive to forge garbage) Light is. Rhys is always weighed down by the most basic tome, and 2mt is 5 less than Elthunder’s, mitigating much of Rhys’s magic lead. Rhys will never double either. Nosferatu sounds good, but 12 weight means Rhys will be getting doubled while armed with it, wholly destroying the possibly of Nostanking. Purge is just another siege tome.
    • Magic Swords: Mist has access to the Sonic Sword (25 uses) for most if not all of her Valkyrie time, which offers 32/36 atk for her, +10 against fliers. The Runesword gets 3 chapters of access, but 19 weight inflicts at least 3 speed loss, and 15 uses (even less in practice because Bertram will burn a few) mean no chance at Nostanking either. Mind you Mist will likely need at one or both of the Arms Scrolls and or some physical sword swings to get the B and A weapon ranks needed for these limited use weapons. Hammerne will likely be required as well.
    • Skills: Miracle should not ever be thought of, nor should Shade- relying on them to work is to reset when Mist or Ilyana in all likelihood dies (Shade the less unreliable of the two). Nihil has very little use when foes have practically no skills of their own. Corrosion at best reduces enemy weapon uses by 10, which makes it so very worthless too. Ultimately, it comes down to Adept and Celerity. Adept should not be relied on, but may have a ~10-20% chance of turning a 2RKO into an ORKO, which is nice. Celerity is absolutely consistent, and is very good, particularly on a high move team, though Tormod being a mage limits its usefulness somewhat.
  • Supports:
    • Soren: Ike is good given the two have comparable move. Earth makes Soren better at dodging (22 extra), and Ike gets a point more of damage out of it. Ike does have plenty of other options though, and Ike will be rushing it once he has Ragnell, so the final two chapters will see them separated. Ike will likely leave Soren’s side sooner, whenever Ike’s great stats finally kick in. Stefan is another foot unit, and whose fragility (low luck) means he might stay back. But, Heaven is terrible as an affinity. Though Stefan having only one other support partner helps.
    • Ilyana: Two Earth supports can add up to 25 extra avoid for her, but Zihark would prefer his other supporters. Gatrie and her give +3 def/res making him even bulkier and her a little extra durability. Two of Gatrie’s other supports are too mobile for him, and the other is rather bad (Shinon) so Ilyana has little competition for him. Mordecai is similar to Gatrie, and Mia, who has only two other options, one joining very late, offers Ilyana an extra atk, which is good.
    • Tormod: Sothe is pure utility and lacks a wanted affinity. Devdan has a good affinity, but is weak. Reyson gets nothing from Tormod, but Tormod likes his support and the two can probably be together if Reyson isn’t singing to fliers on flier-only terrain. Calill, a rival mage, offers much liked attack, but you may divide your mages into separate groups. 
    • Calill: Nephenee is okay. Tormod, see the above. Geoffrey comes late and is mobile, but has +atk. 
    • Bastian- Volke is bad at combat and largely utility, with a weak affinity. Lucia will take Bastian to try to up her avoid and sidestep her fragility. Makalov is too mobile, and his two other partners are more mobile than Bastian, but he’ll take Bastian if one of them isn’t being fielded.
    • Rhys: Titania offers durability, but is generally off killing everything in sight elsewhere. Kieran keeps the unneeded hit boost, but adds a worthless avoid boost, and is also far away axing foes. Rolf has Kieran’s poor affinity, but stays close to Rhys as an archer. Ulki is mediocre at combat, and is a flier so he will likely only offer Rhys his support when he needs to recharge his gauge. Mia likes Rhys’s attack and shares in mobility, plus she only two other options- and one joins very late.
    • Mist: Excellent affinity (Water is probably second only to Earth) is bolstered by some solid support options. Titania offers Mist hit and durability- two things she likes- and Mist can keep close enough to Titania with her horse when promoted as long as she isn’t going totally gung-ho. Boyd is a slower front-liner so unless he is dropped or refreshed ahead, Mist can get close to him and stay out of enemy ranges. Jill flies, which is a significant issue on some maps. Rolf is bad affinity, but a backline unit. Mordecai is decent, with double water affinity resulting in +3 atk/def.
  • Final Analysis:
    • Soren certainly has the best offense of the bunch, making him strictly the best. Tormod is the second best- he ties Soren’s speed, while being just as magical as the others. Celerity is really good and makes Tormod stand out from the rest. Calill is probably third, with speed to best Ilyana, comparable magic, and total siege tome access, but no staff access hurts. Ilyana joins the second earliest and can get staffs on promotion, but is definitely inferior otherwise. Bastian has great growths, but atrocious bases and knives kill his potential and he joins late. Rhys and Mist both can Nostank in theory, but closer analysis shows that can’t really happen. Rhys is gimped by low attack speed and awful Light magic stats. Mist needs Arms Scrolls, one-of-a-kind swords, and the Hammerne if she wants to be a spellblade primary instead of a primary healer. Elincia, whose lateness in joining and poor bases keep her in this sentence alone, is Mist without the skill stat issue as a spellblade.
  • Last Word:
    • Use Soren for maximum power, Tormod is good if you like mobility. Calill is a comparable mage but without staffs, Ilyana is only for if Soren and or Tormod turns out bad and you want a second healer (who isn’t the other of Rhys and Mist). Rhys and Mist should stick to healing, but if you’re willing to burn Arm Scrolls and Hammerne on the Sonic Sword, Mist is a mobile mage. Don’t bother with Bastian.

Not sure how good it is, but I think it's okay.

Ilyana is somewhat a crutch-unit in part 1.
She starts at about five levels higher in average than the first tier rest. She can double, even ORKO a few enemies with her really decent 13 base speed. With boosts in magic and speed she can do it for a few chapters.
However she becomes less and less useful due to her pretty eh growths (Odin-likish) and the poor accuracy of thunder. When you can't bring everyone anymore, you can easily ignore her.

Raising her is pointless unless you really want rexbolt for showcases because she'll be underleveled when she joins GM's - even if you promote her at once. She just exists to bring some goodies to the GM's.

Seriously she rather would have stayed in the DB because it'd make the chapters against the Laguz a lot easier with having access to an effective weapon against them and having a second real range attacker besides Leonardo (Micky is rather busy with healing). 

Making her switching to a stronger party kills her usefulness later on unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

She's got significant availability over Tormod, and her Magic is a little better, even if he is faster and has Celerity. If Soren doesn't have a forged Thunder and instead he and Ilyana are using Elthunder, they should have the same AS due to Soren's low Str. She isn't a terrible replacement for him. PoR wasn't very friendly to Magic either as a side note.

PoR rains money at you so I don't consider the expense of forged Thunder significant, and anyway Soren can also match Ilyana's Elthunder might with his own Elwind by the 20/10 stats you posted. Fair enough that Ilyana isn't that much worse than Soren, but she does feel strictly worse unless the RNG gives your Soren some bad levels (or Ilyana some good ones). Tormod's obviously a bit of a project but I respect that he has genuine payoff if you go for it, Calill I respect for being solid at her role out of the box, joining around the time magic is ramping up in value (more laguz). I agree that mages aren't very good on the whole in PoR either; mounted units dominate to a crazy degree.

Mages/Sages as a whole are out their weakest in RD. Ilyana was my MVP in PoR, but RD, it's a whole 'nother ball field.

But she's not that bad. Granted, Thunder magic is shit, but Ilyana is the ONLY person able to wield Rexbolt by the end of the game, and it's really the only Rex magic spell that has strategic value. (the other rex spells are powerful, but what I mean is, they don't have a level like the Dheginsea dragon level where Ilyana can have a field day. The other rex spells feel more or less a flashy accessory you can show off).

Her growths are weirdly distributed as well, I would trade some of her strength for some skill or speed tbh. But then again, Soren is the only mage is dodge reliably for me anyways, so I'm holding it more as a "problem of being a mage".

She's in a niche class in a game that doesn't take kindly to her kind (mages)

15 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

But she's not that bad. Granted, Thunder magic is shit, but Ilyana is the ONLY person able to wield Rexbolt by the end of the game, and it's really the only Rex magic spell that has strategic value. (the other rex spells are powerful, but what I mean is, they don't have a level like the Dheginsea dragon level where Ilyana can have a field day. The other rex spells feel more or less a flashy accessory you can show off).

If anything I think Rexbolt is the flashy accessory you can show off without much strategic value. Sure, it can do some damage to Dheginsea, but not really impressive damage, because it's only 36 might, and Ilyana can't double (nor can it benefit from Ena, and Dheg is fought before Nasir joins). You can get around ~30 damage out of it vs Dheginsea. Contrast, say, a Wyrmslayer in the hands of someone with 34 or more speed, which can easily do more than that: around ~40 with even typical SM/falconknight strength (more with a speed-blessed Ike). To say nothing of base Caineghis who can do 42 out of the box. Even if you want to talk only about ranged damage, Shinon and Rolf can outperform Rexbolt pretty easily.

The one I consider more meaningful than this is Rexflame, because +3 speed lets you (a) double spirits, making it one of the few reliable ways to take down ones on Cover, and (b) double Ashera's auras with Nasir's help, making it one of the most effective weapons against corner auras. As well as being a general boon against other Endgame enemies in that ~30 speed range like halberdiers, warriors, and snipers.

20 hours ago, Florete said:

NinjaMonkey is a troll. Don't listen to him.

What? I wasn't trolling at all, and I won't have you slandering me, thank you very much!

15 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Mages/Sages as a whole are out their weakest in RD.

How? Magic users have horrible Str growths in PoR, making them weighed down by even the lightest tomes, unlike in RD, where they have decent-ish Str growths.

23 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How? Magic users have horrible Str growths in PoR, making them weighed down by even the lightest tomes, unlike in RD, where they have decent-ish Str growths.

Probably because most physical units don't have much worse Resistance than Defense (which isn't helped by weak tomes). That, combined with their speed, means...

45 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

If anything I think Rexbolt is the flashy accessory you can show off without much strategic value. Sure, it can do some damage to Dheginsea, but not really impressive damage, because it's only 36 might, and Ilyana can't double (nor can it benefit from Ena, and Dheg is fought before Nasir joins). You can get around ~30 damage out of it vs Dheginsea. Contrast, say, a Wyrmslayer in the hands of someone with 34 or more speed, which can easily do more than that: around ~40 with even typical SM/falconknight strength (more with a speed-blessed Ike). To say nothing of base Caineghis who can do 42 out of the box. Even if you want to talk only about ranged damage, Shinon and Rolf can outperform Rexbolt pretty easily.

The one I consider more meaningful than this is Rexflame, because +3 speed lets you (a) double spirits, making it one of the few reliable ways to take down ones on Cover, and (b) double Ashera's auras with Nasir's help, making it one of the most effective weapons against corner auras. As well as being a general boon against other Endgame enemies in that ~30 speed range like halberdiers, warriors, and snipers.

At the same time, I wouldn't really consider blessing a wyrmslayer that good an idea, since it's pretty much useless afterwards, and this is assuming I have any extra sword users, which I tend not to because screw Trueblades (aside from the obligatory Ragnell, Alondite, Tempest Blades, and Amiti all get blessings). Also, it's a 1-range weapon, meaning you're forced to risk being annihilated by Ire (and IIRC the only cover squares at 1 range leave you open to getting attacked by Nasir or Gareth). I do agree that Rexflame is useful from a strategic viewpoint, though.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Regardless of trolling or not, dark magic is absolutely irrelevant in this game despite its existence. It's the stongest magic type, but no effectiveness and Belberith has no 100% accuracy unlike the other SS tomes. It's shit against the auras in Pellas's hands even if he has a A-support with heaven (Elincia/Tibarn).