Game of Thrones prequel

Etrurian emperor

The next season of Games of Thrones will likely be the last one but its very unlikely that HBO would let a moneymaker like that go. So a return to Westeros sounds likely and I believe there's already been talks with Martin about this.

So lets do some fun speculation. Oh and it would probably feature spoilers so be warned for that

There are four scenarios that seem likely for a prequel adaption:

The Dance of dragons

The blackfyre rebellion

The prequel books of Egg and Dunk

And Roberts rebellion. 

The Dance of dragon's could be interesting since its a big Targaryen civil war with bigger then life characters and even bigger dragons. Its obviously on the writers mind since they did a 20 minutes long lore video about the war (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_GyBuuf_c )The downside to this idea is that  dragons seem very hard to animate and that the whole thing feels more like a reboot than a prequel. We got a mad king, a power hungry hand of the king from the most prosperous house, a queen who's the daughter of said hand and wants more power too and a Targaryen princess with dragons who thinks the throne is rightfully hers. That sounds very familiar!

The Blackfyre rebellions have a host of interesting characters too and don't have so many pesky dragons to drain the budget. Its also the historical conflict that most heavily affects the current events of the show with things like the Golden company that Cersei seeks to hire and the war of the 9 penny kings that started the career of many older characters like Tywin and the Blackfish all stemming from this event. It can even be combined with Dunk and Egg to kill two birds with one stone. The obvious downside here is that the HBO show has been trying very hard to remove all interesting things stemming from this conflict. Varys is no longer a Blackfyre agent, The one eyed Raven isn't even hinted to be the sorcerer bloodraven from these wars and a recent lore video confirms that the Golden company has been changed from aspiring revolutionaries to just a regular band of mercenaries. 

Roberts rebellion seems like the safest and easiest option but that also makes it the most boring. We already know everything about that war and the persons involved. If anything is still a mystery it most likely won't be anymore after the next season is finished. 

On 2/4/2018 at 9:14 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Roberts rebellion seems like the safest and easiest option but that also makes it the most boring. We already know everything about that war and the persons involved. If anything is still a mystery it most likely won't be anymore after the next season is finished. 

Yeah, this would be a bad idea as we already know so much from the show about Robert's Rebellion.

I'd say Dance of Dragons could be a good 2-3 Season show, but I hope HBO knows better than to let David and Dan direct it, especially after Season 5-7.

Dance of dragons would be insanely cool if they could pull it off nicely. There's already source material for it so we wouldn't have to worry about poor directing unless they scrap everything like idiots. Big dragons get 10/10 when it comes to getting my interest. The budget would probably be insane though so the other two would be more likely to happen. Especially Robert's rebellion.

Edited by ChickenBits

As long as they adapt an existing base material, I'm fine with it. I just don't want them to write fanfiction of the GoT universe and I can't say I'm very satisfied with what they did after the plot got past the books and they had to interpret GRRM's private spoilers (so, until season 3 or 4). They did a great adaptation overall, but when the time came for the staff to fill in the gaps with their own ideas, I don't think they managed to do that very well.

So, I've never read Dunk & Egg, but that could be a start, I guess.

Edited by Rapier

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 2:14 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

The Dance of dragons

The blackfyre rebellion

The prequel books of Egg and Dunk

And Roberts rebellion. 

GAH! Your inconsistent capitalization hurts my soul.