How is using only 3 units in Lyn's Story "optimal"?

Just call me AL

Just now, Balcerzak said:

I mean, ferrying people across trigger points in one of the most difficult maps in fe6 (chapter 21) was definitely I thing I have used him for in the past. Fliers do it better, sure, but you can deploy a ton of people there.

i don't remember clearly, but doesn't fe6 have a lot of status staves?

I mean iirc, marcus with PW boostin fe6 can easily avoid those while being a ferry

@gjuptonv wait what did he do on Mekkah's vids? Did he seriously do that?

why.

I enjoy archers and all, but when a unit sucks ass and doesn't get full effective damage (2x compared to the usual 3x of other games), then chances are that I"m just gonna use someone else.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

i don't remember clearly, but doesn't fe6 have a lot of status staves?

I mean iirc, marcus with PW boostin fe6 can easily avoid those while being a ferry

why.

I enjoy archers and all, but when a unit sucks ass and doesn't get full effective damage (2x compared to the usual 3x of other games), then chances are that I"m just gonna use someone else.

To be fair, the map that rescue ferrying would be most relevant in (Ch. 21) has no status staves, so it probably wouldn’t be too important

I remember that Mekkah called him out on his and Mang’s lets play of Fe 9, I think it was near the 2/3rd mark of episode 27 (I just checked to see what chapter they were on because it was during the Devdan chapter, and I vaguely remember them being near the upper right chest room when they mentioned it), either that or episode Ch. 28. He’s not mentioned by name but he talked about a comment on his April fools video that I do believe referred to Diogo.

4 minutes ago, Aut said:

To be fair, the map that rescue ferrying would be most relevant in (Ch. 21) has no status staves, so it probably wouldn’t be too important

I remember that Mekkah called him out on his and Mang’s lets play of Fe 9, I think it was near the 2/3rd mark of episode 27 (I just checked to see what chapter they were on because it was during the Devdan chapter, and I vaguely remember them being near the upper right chest room when they mentioned it), either that or episode Ch. 28. He’s not mentioned by name but he talked about a comment on his April fools video that I do believe referred to Diogo.

wait wtf.

that's actually sorta funny, and a little sad.

Iirc, Marcus can still function in Illia on HM. It's been awhile since I played tho.

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Also... As I said before, agree to disagree, because this is pretty much a stalemate and I don't see this topic going anywhere.

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

That's why I'm saying to agree to disagree, since I know that I've been using my units propely, but you want to persistently say otherwise, and since none of use will budge, this won't go anywhere.

Instead of constantly saying "agree to disagree" it might be a better idea to lead by example and just stop posting.

49 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

Yes he adamantly argues with users in the comments sections of Mekkah's Lyn videos.

Edited by gjuptonv

3 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

Yes he adamantly argues with users in the comments sections of Mekkah's Lyn videos.

I'm going to check that later for entertainment.

that sounds absolutely hilarious.

1 minute ago, Czarpy said:

I'm going to check that later for entertainment.

that sounds absolutely hilarious.

It's more-or-less identical to his arguments here, still funny. Though on YouTube it's significantly less organized and nuanced than the responses he's received here.

50 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

It's more-or-less identical to his arguments here, still funny. Though on YouTube it's significantly less organized and nuanced than the responses he's received here.

Yeah

there's an entire thing where he tries to defend Lyn vs Guy with some weird hoops of logic, then goes on to talk about playing ranked, then goes on to talk about how he only wants an A rank in tactics since he says it's bugged.

to be totally fair, Mekkah's Lyn analysis vid is pretty accurate.

Edited by Czarpy

10 minutes ago, Ironthunder said:

I mean why would you try to defend either side in Lyn vs Guy? They're both kind of bad and should probably be dropped within a few chapters of joining.

exp rank/getting geitz i guess? i mean guy's probably better than bartre/dorcas for people who want to get Jerme's map and an easier harken recruitment.

casually, one can use anyone they want.

but i swear he fell for someone's blatant trolling/baiting/

Spoiler

image.png.451bfbf5b2c43afd9efa27dbf9601140.png

image.png.47f518c1a4fc51773251b0bf8f0a7773.png

Edited by Czarpy

6 minutes ago, Ironthunder said:

>Lyn won't fall off
Can't fall off if you don't pick up ever

[Insert dumb headtap meme here]

you dodge everything if you're never deployed!

maybe that's what he meant with the Rebecca dodgetanking.

but in all honesty, is the fe7 tactics rank really bugged?

6 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

you dodge everything if you're never deployed!

maybe that's what he meant with the Rebecca dodgetanking.

What bug are they even talking about?

17 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

Well there is the issue of the Hector Mode exclusive chapters having 0s for every ranking requirement- like they forgot to or improperly programmed the requirements for these chapters which don't exist in Eliwood Mode.

Spoiler

Notes

Zero-requirements

If chapters have these, it can be both a blessing and a curse. Basically these chapters don’t contribute to the total averaged requirements.

For Funds and Experience this is great, because you don’t have to do anything, but anything that you do is beneficial.

For Tactics this is bad. I can’t think of how to explain, so if you can’t see why, consider this prime example:

You’re playing Hector Normal Mode and you just reached Chapter 15 (skipping Chapter 13x because you’re lazy). Up to now you took a total of 31 turns. You’ll notice that this value is just within the total 5-star maximum turns requirement (0 + 9 + 10 + 12 = 31) and, looking at your Rankings menu, you do see 5 stars in Tactics so all is well and good.

Chapter 15’s victory condition is to survive for 7 turns. You look at the 5 star maximum turns requirement for this chapter expecting to see 7 turns, but instead you find it to be 0 turns (and the same for 4, 3 or 2 stars). At this point you’re either confused or think it’s a mistake. However, upon finishing Chapter 15 you find that your Tactics ranking has gone down from 5 stars to 3 stars!

Why is this? Up to now your total turns has been 31 + 7 = 38 turns. So far, the total 4-star maximum turns requirement is (0 + 11 + 12 + 14 + 0 =) 37 and the total 3-star maximum turns requirement is (0 + 13 + 14 + 16 + 0 =) 43. So 38 turns is good enough for 3 stars. But that means you were penalised for pretty much no reason… Yes, unfair, but true.

To sum up, if you’re aiming for a good Tactics score you should either aim to finish these chapters in as few turns as possible (and if possible), or make up in earlier/later chapters.

but I don't think there are any bugs beyond this.

9 hours ago, Czarpy said:

Yeah

there's an entire thing where he tries to defend Lyn vs Guy with some weird hoops of logic, then goes on to talk about playing ranked, then goes on to talk about how he only wants an A rank in tactics since he says it's bugged.

How bad can it be when Lyn really is better than Guy?

Wait what did diogo do in mekkah's vids? Somebody help

NOTE: is this a double post? i dont see my other comment but I dont know if it is.

12 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Wait what did diogo do in mekkah's vids? Somebody help

NOTE: is this a double post? i dont see my other comment but I dont know if it is.

He argued that Lyn is an objectively good unit for any playstyle in the comments section of the Amelia and Lyn videos. They were poorly constructed, failed to address others points, etc. more-or-less the same as his arguments here. Though on YouTube he threw in a few arguments about how Lyn > any mounted unit (e.g. Florina, Kent, Sain)

Edited by gjuptonv

1 hour ago, gjuptonv said:

He argued in the comments section of the Amelia and Lyn videos. They were poorly constructed, failed to address others points, etc. more-or-less the same as his arguments here.

That's sad... it makes me feel sad for some reason. 

18 minutes ago, Florete said:

In what context is she better than him? Are we discussing average stats, optimal play, required investment (e.g. expensive promotion late-game promotion item), etc

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

That's sad... it makes me feel sad for some reason. 

It wasn't a fun read, I'll say that much.

Edited by gjuptonv

1 hour ago, Florete said:

1 hour ago, gjuptonv said:

In what context is she better than him? Are we discussing average stats, optimal play, required investment (e.g. expensive promotion late-game promotion item), etc

I might do my next "Experiment" series on Guy, Guy is really hard to use for me his base ATK is nice but the game mostly has Lance-wielding enemies so WTD most of the time and he is also sword-locked not much worse than Lyn who get's bows and can't understand the concept of riding a horse like the rest of her sacaean brethren, honestly both are very bad the strongest aspect of Lyn is the ability to train her early but I always just give her Iron Sword to Sain because he doesn't have one in LHM.

Since I have this position I think I can serve as judge for your arguments.

But y'all know, Sieg Heil Mein NIno!!! (Do i get reported for this? please no).

8 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

Just used in LHM first.

9 minutes ago, Florete said:

Just used in LHM first.

That doesn't answer my question. What is/are your metric(s) for measuring how she is better than him?

9 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I might do my next "Experiment" series on Guy, Guy is really hard to use for me his base ATK is nice but the game mostly has Lance-wielding enemies so WTD most of the time and he is also sword-locked not much worse than Lyn who get's bows and can't understand the concept of riding a horse like the rest of her sacaean brethren, honestly both are very bad the strongest aspect of Lyn is the ability to train her early but I always just give her Iron Sword to Sain because he doesn't have one in LHM.

I'm new here so I haven't heard of your Experiment series, but I'm looking forward to the results!

Edited by gjuptonv

23 minutes ago, Florete said:

it kinda comes down to LHM levels, prf weapons, and free deployment on various maps vs Guys early promotion time and contributions early on.

Granted, Guy over-relies on special swords that would be better off going to any of the mounts and raven.

Lyn is just fucked over by being in a lance heavy game with durability that's dangerously close to Lucius of all people. 

i mean yeah hero crest competition exists early on, and dread isle is good for swords. But then if we factor in promo item competition, then Lyn has to Compete with Eliwood. The dude gets a horse and 1-2 range with lances. Lyn gets fucking rangelocked to 2 range or 1 range after promo. 

I guess Guy might be unnecessary for any sort of "efficient run" bar drafts/ranked, but then he's also kinda redundant past like ch15 on hector mode since his major selling points start getting competition. Hero crest gets contested by fucking Raven, and even barring Raven there's still two dudes with 1-2 range that at least get as many kills as he does and rely just as heavily on a single stat proccing on time. (the fighter's spd vs guy's strength.)

Meanwhile Lyn just gets fucked over by late promo, competition with Eliwood if you're using him, and gets fucked harder if she even attempts to try and take on enemies that aren't axe users. I mean yeah sure she can just take a killing edge/silver sword and go on a forest next to a batch of axe/sword dudes for free exp and go on to snipe things later on. (Wait did we just totally invalidate using Rebecca for the lategame? Yep.)

I'd say Lyn>Guy since she's not facing heavy competition for the hero crest and does actually have the option of being able to do some light magic tanking and all that.  If you do choose to promote Eliwood, it's not all that big of a deal since he can just take some killer weapons/silvers and kill mooks to level up if he's late promoted.  

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

nah guy's consistently mediocre. I recommend trying Dorcas for the experiment. (Hey if he gets blessed, it'll be legit funny)

early promote him and turn him into an archer for the dread isles. 

15 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

That doesn't answer my question. What is/are your metric(s) for measuring how she is better than him?

Well, I prefer ranked HHM, but I can't think of a context outside skipping LHM in which Guy would actually be better. She's practically always offensively stronger, has a powerful Prf weapon all to herself, has a quick support with one of the best units in the game (Florina), and gets ranged combat on promotion.