How is using only 3 units in Lyn's Story "optimal"?

Just call me AL

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For ranked runs on Hard Mode, I thought that giving more experience to a unit that rejoins later would be a good thing, since you don't want your units' level to be too much higher than the enemies', and that's less of a problem for Rath than for the rest of Lyn's forces.

• 1 month later...

I should note that I’ve never played the Hard difficulties.

I always play the tutorial for the purpose of leveling up some units:

Lyn: the only reason I waste my time with useless Eliwood and Lyn is so I can avoid the chapter you fight Loyd. At the end of the game, these two Lords are liabilities.

Florina: obvious reasons

Sane: my favorite of the cavaliers

Kent: I sometimes end up with a low level Kent because I prefer to feed Sane kills. 

Rath: I really enjoy the versatility of the /Nomad TrooperRanger class. Also, since he’s your only primary bow user that is actually useful, I go ahead and give him the Orion’s Bolt.

Lucius: the only reason I use him is because he gets C level in staves, which makes him far better than the other non promoted magic users”

Sarra: it takes awhile, but I give a lot of experience to Sarra. It usually works out she gets to level 20 on board the pirate ship. This is convenient since this is the place to get your first Giulding Ring.

Nils: only if I’m actually willing to go to that extra chapter.

On 16/03/2018 at 2:04 PM, Paper Jam said:

For ranked runs on Hard Mode, I thought that giving more experience to a unit that rejoins later would be a good thing, since you don't want your units' level to be too much higher than the enemies', and that's less of a problem for Rath than for the rest of Lyn's forces.

As if I would allow him to level that much. He starts at lv 7, it takes a good deal of kills to get him to lv 10, at which point his experience gains come to a crawl. lv 10 is nothing by the time he joins, since he has no hard bonus like Heath has.

Rebecca is better than Rath and already close to promotion by the time he rejoins, not worth it.

13 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

As if I would allow him to level that much. He starts at lv 7, it takes a good deal of kills to get him to lv 10, at which point his experience gains come to a crawl. lv 10 is nothing by the time he joins, since he has no hard bonus like Heath has.

Rebecca is better than Rath and already close to promotion by the time he rejoins, not worth it.

Disagree here.

Level 10 Rath: 27 HP, 9.5 Str, 10 Skl, 11.5 Spd, 6 Luck, 7 Def, 3 Res
Level 15 Rebecca: 25 HP, 9.6 Str, 12 Skl, 14 Spd, 11 Luck, 5 Def, 5 Res

Despite the level disadvantage, Rath is already competitive with Rebecca. His biggest loss is speed, though it's worth noting that gap only exists when they're using iron or short bows; if they need to reach for Steel or Killer, they're within a point. They have the same strength, and Rath has more durability (not huge for archers, granted), and a horse, which means +2 move and far greater rescuing capability (in fact, Rath can rescue every single unit in the game).

From here he's going to be gaining exp much faster so he'll close the speed gap and open up a lead in strength. Then, whenever you promote them, Rath gains access to swords.

Rath definitely looks better to me. He may not have HM bonuses but he doesn't need them to outclass other archers statistically.

On 03/05/2018 at 12:08 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Disagree here.

Level 10 Rath: 27 HP, 9.5 Str, 10 Skl, 11.5 Spd, 6 Luck, 7 Def, 3 Res
Level 15 Rebecca: 25 HP, 9.6 Str, 12 Skl, 14 Spd, 11 Luck, 5 Def, 5 Res

Despite the level disadvantage, Rath is already competitive with Rebecca. His biggest loss is speed, though it's worth noting that gap only exists when they're using iron or short bows; if they need to reach for Steel or Killer, they're within a point. They have the same strength, and Rath has more durability (not huge for archers, granted), and a horse, which means +2 move and far greater rescuing capability (in fact, Rath can rescue every single unit in the game).

From here he's going to be gaining exp much faster so he'll close the speed gap and open up a lead in strength. Then, whenever you promote them, Rath gains access to swords.

Rath definitely looks better to me. He may not have HM bonuses but he doesn't need them to outclass other archers statistically.

Rebecca is way faster than he is. From what I'm seeing here, I would rather use Rebecca, since she reaches lv 20 faster. Not to mention Balista use, which is necessary to deal with some troublesome enemies in chapter HHM 24 and HHM 25. Also, unlike Rath, Rebecca will level up faster, since he gains slow experience in Lyn mode, thus nor worth wasting experience on, so he's most likely going to be stuck with lv 7-8 by the end of Lyn mode. Rebecca also has better promotion gains.

Edited by DiogoJorge

9 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Rebecca is way faster than he is. From what I'm seeing here, I would rather use Rebecca, since she reaches lv 20 faster. Not to mention Balista use, which is necessary to deal with some troublesome enemies in chapter HHM 24 and HHM 25. Also, unlike Rath, Rebecca will level up faster, since he gains slow experience in Lyn mode, thus nor worth wasting experience on, so he's most likely going to be stuck with lv 7-8 by the end of Lyn mode. Rebecca also has better promotion gains.

You owe me for that shot of whiskey I just spit all over my monitor.

Not to pick on you, because some of what you said is valid here, but between this and some other things you've mentioned as "necessary/good", I'd really like to see you do a playthrough of FE7, because it sounds like the most alien way of playing to me.

I've never once heard somebody say Ballista use is necessary, and thus is a reason to use Rebecca. I'VE never used a Ballista on HHM, and god knows how many runs of that I've done. I've heard some people say it's an added plus to using an Archer, but that's usually followed up by "Archers still aren't really worth using".

Edited by Slumber

18 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Rebecca is way faster than he is.

I would hardly call a 3 point Spd gap "way faster". And that gap shrinks even more when considering that Rebecca faces AS loss with even Iron Bows.

From what I'm seeing here, I would rather use Rebecca, since she reaches lv 20 faster.

Coming from someone who actually tried to use Rebecca during a Ranked run, I can tell you right now that this is factually false. Rebecca's class outright prevents her from gaining the EXP that she needs to function. The level comparison that you saw earlier, I would argue was being generous to Rebecca. If anything, if you use her, she'll likely be at Rath's level by the time Rath joins. Adding to that, Rath has a horse, which means more action on the front lines, and thus a faster EXP gain. Just by looking at the classes alone, one can tell that it's Rath who reaches Lvl 20 faster than Rebecca. Heck, he has no difficulty reaching Lvl 10, for that matter.

Notto mention Balista use, which is necessary to deal with some troublesome enemies in chapter HHM 24 and HHM 25.

More like not necessary, period.

Also, unlike Rath, Rebecca will level up faster, since he gains slow experience in Lyn mode, thus nor worth wasting experience on, so he's most likely going to be stuck with lv 7-8 by the end of Lyn mode.

Key words: Lyn Mode. I.E. what the player won't be in by the time he or she has both Rebecca and Rath in the same group.

Rebecca also has better promotion gains.

Which is heavily outweighed by the fact that Rath has a better class than Rebecca.

2 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

If anything, if you use her, she'll likely be at Rath's level by the time Rath joins.

I absolutely believe Rath is a much better unit than Rebecca but if Rebecca isn't level 10+ at Kinship's Bond, you're not using her.

5 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

I would hardly call a 3 point Spd gap "way faster". And that gap shrinks even more when considering that Rebecca faces AS loss with even Iron Bows.

Coming from someone who actually tried to use Rebecca during a Ranked run, I can tell you right now that this is factually false. Rebecca's class outright prevents her from gaining the EXP that she needs to function. The level comparison that you saw earlier, I would argue was being generous to Rebecca. If anything, if you use her, she'll likely be at Rath's level by the time Rath joins. Adding to that, Rath has a horse, which means more action on the front lines, and thus a faster EXP gain. Just by looking at the classes alone, one can tell that it's Rath who reaches Lvl 20 faster than Rebecca. Heck, he has no difficulty reaching Lvl 10, for that matter.

More like not necessary, period.

Key words: Lyn Mode. I.E. what the player won't be in by the time he or she has both Rebecca and Rath in the same group.

Which is heavily outweighed by the fact that Rath has a better class than Rebecca.

Considering that Rebecca is usually 10 levels ahead of him. the gap will be much higher than 3 points.

I did ranked runs before as well, and I couldn't be bothered to use Rath, specially when you have a desert chapter right after and you need a balista user for the other 2. Not helped that for mounted units, I already have at least 3 of those in the form of Kent, Sain and Florina or Fiora. The only thing I aim for is 3 stars in tactics anyway, the tactics rank is bugged and isn't reasonable as a result. The bug ruins the tactics rank, and thus can't be taken seriously beyond 3 stars. 

Having horse doesn't mean much, more action in the frontlines? Considering his durability and late join time, I would never have him fight in the frontlines any more than I would do Rebecca, also, she can double way more often while he doesn't. He couldn't double Wyvern Riders in the very join chapter.

Never happened to me. When he joins, Rebecca is usually lv 16-18.

Absolutely necessary, clearing a path for the fliers to take over the castles in Chapter 25 is a much better strategy than just plow through the hordes of monks. Not to mention a free Bolting and less of an hassle if you kill the Sage on chapter 24, which Rebecca can double even on a Balista, thus killing him and kill two birds in one stone. 

Rath is at best leveling 1-2 levels. level 9 at best, in Lyn mode. Most of the experience goes to units that will be more usefull early on like Lyn, Kent, Sain, Florina, Matthew and Lucius. Rath will get a single level usually, since his experience gain is a bit slow due to being higher level than enemies.

Considering that he joins so late, having a slightly better class doesn't make up for it. 

Edited by DiogoJorge

2 hours ago, Florete said:

I absolutely believe Rath is a much better unit than Rebecca but if Rebecca isn't level 10+ at Kinship's Bond, you're not using her.

You can believe what you want. If that's what works for you, go ahead. Using Rebecca is what works for me, never had much luck using Rath.

For me, she's usually lv 16-18 at that point. Very close to promotion.

Edited by DiogoJorge

11 hours ago, Florete said:

Isn't Rebecca's EXP gain slow to the point where she won't get much EXP? I mean, in the last ranked run I remember doing, Rebecca was about lvl 9. By then, I decided to drop her because I knew I was getting better bow users, including Rath, later.

Considering that Rebecca is usually 10 levels ahead of him. the gap will be much higher than 3 points.

Even if this is somehow true, the gap isn't much to outweigh Rath's higher Str and the fact that he has a mount.

I did ranked runs before as well, and I couldn't be bothered to use Rath, specially when you have a desert chapter right after and you need a balista user for the other 2. Not helped that for mounted units, I already have at least 3 of those in the form of Kent, Sain and Florina or Fiora. The only thing I aim for is 3 stars in tactics anyway, the tactics rank is bugged and isn't reasonable as a result. The bug ruins the tactics rank, and thus can't be taken seriously beyond 3 stars.

I get the feeling that you're looking for an excuse here to cover for... Something...

Having horse doesn't mean much, more action in the frontlines?

And more ease making a necessary retreat, and more ease going from point A to point B on the map, more placement flexibility, and simply being able to rescue units. If you don't see how much of a game changer that having a mount is, then you haven't been using your mounted units to their fullest potential. Plain and simple.

Considering his durability and late join time, I would never have him fight in the frontlines any more than I would do Rebecca, also, she can double way more often while he doesn't. He couldn't double Wyvern Riders in the very join chapter.

Wyverns: 6 L6 Wyverns w/ Axereaver

21-22 Atk, 82-84 Hit, 8 Crit----26-29 Hp, 10-11 Def, 1-2 Res, 12-14 Avo, 6-7 AS

Unless if you're unlucky enough have these guys with 7 AS, Rath can double these guys with no problem.

12 L7 Wyverns w/ Axereaver

21-23 Atk, 82-86 Hit, 8-9 Crit----28-30 Hp, 10-12 Def, 1-2 Res, 14-16 Avo, 7-8 AS

Even if you skip Lyn's Story, these are the only Wyverns Rath really struggles with. That's where units who can chip come in. 

Fighters: 2 L7 Fighters w/ Swordreaver, both have a Door Key

21-23 Atk, 75-79 Hit, 7-8 Crit----27-30 Hp, 4 Def, 1-2 Res, 10-12 Avo, 5-6 AS

9 L8 Fighters

Eight have Swordreavers: 22-23 Atk, 75-79 Hit, 7-8 Crit, 10-12 Avo, 5-6 AS

You're not having Rath fight these guys, why?

Shamans: 2 L8 Shamans w/ Nosferatu, non-aggressive (will still move if you go into their range)

18 Atk, 78 Hit, 2 Crit----22-23 Hp, 2-4 Def, 7-8 Res, 0 Avo/AS

Monks: 6 L8 Monks w/ Shine

9-11 Atk, 98-102 Hit, 10-11 Crit----24-25 Hp, 1-3 Def, 9-10 Res, 6-8 Avo, 3-4 AS

Easiest prey for Rath.

2 L9 Archers w/ Steel Bows, non-aggressive (will still move if you go into their range; one is right next to a ballista on the right side and will use it if you get close enough)

18 Atk, 86-88 Hit, 4 Crit----28 Hp, 5-6 Def, 1 Res, 12 Avo, 6 AS

You're gonna need someone to soften these guys up, but otherwise...

What that statement of yours tells me that you don't know how to weaken a unit so that another can benefit from the kill. And it's not like Rath needs kills forced down his throat to get going.

That's because you likely tend to turtle. Try not turtling, and see what happens.

Absolutely necessary, clearing a path for the fliers to take over the castles in Chapter 25 is a much better strategy than just plow through the hordes of monks. Not to mention a free Bolting and less of an hassle if you kill the Sage on chapter 24, which Rebecca can double even on a Balista, thus killing him and kill two birds in one stone. 

LMAO. Here's a video of one of dondon151's FE7 playthroughs, recorded while playing the chapter in question. Watch the video, and tell me what you notice about him using Rebecca, using Ballistae, and how fast he was able to clear the map.

Rath is at best leveling 1-2 levels. level 9 at best, in Lyn mode. Most of the experience goes to units that will be more usefull early on like Lyn, Kent, Sain, Florina, Matthew and Lucius. Rath will get a single level usually, since his experience gain is a bit slow due to being higher level than enemies.

And clearly, you ignored this part.

14 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

In other words: What does Lyn's Story have to do with Rath's EXP gain in Eliwood's/Hector's Story? Especially since, in Eliwood's/Hector's Story, the point of "Rath's level is higher than the enemies" isn't true by even a stretch.

Considering that he joins so late, having a slightly better class doesn't make up for it. 

Makes up for what? His disadvantages compared to Rebecca? On the contrary. What his possession of a mount means is that the only bow users in the game that Rath is worse than are Geitz and Louise.

With Rath having a minimum level of 7, that means Rebecca needs what, 16 levels in 10-ish chapters? I don't see that happening without arena abuse or massive favoritism.

I don't see a ballista user as "necessary" when enemy units are weak, for the most part.

Having horse doesn't mean much, more action in the frontlines? Considering his durability and late join time, I would never have him fight in the frontlines any more than I would do Rebecca, also, she can double way more often while he doesn't. He couldn't double Wyvern Riders in the very join chapter.

I imagine he could unless the higher level ones rolled high on speed, since they're weighed down by their weapons. At least, if he's not using a heavier bow.

Again, I don't see this happening without tons of favoritism because of her class.

I fail to see how a ballista user is "absolutely necessary" when it ain't like I'm gonna get my ass handed to me without one...  the monks are piss weak, so any Pegasus Knight can annihilate them with minimal damage if trained. The Bolting Sage... Rebecca needs like 19 speed to double since the ballista is MURDER on her speed, with her having only 5 con.

I'll give you that I can't expect Rath to get more than 2 levels in Lyn mode tops, but I fail to see how this is relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Make up for what? 

8 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Isn't Rebecca's EXP gain slow to the point where she won't get much EXP? I mean, in the last ranked run I remember doing, Rebecca was about lvl 9. By then, I decided to drop her because I knew I was getting better bow users, including Rath, later.

Sounds like you were putting some experience into her for ranks, not "using" her. If you're using her, as in you actually want her to be a part of your main combat team, you'll put the effort into her to make her work (yes, this means favoritism. Hey, I never said she was good). By that chapter I would estimate lv 12-14 for a ranked run, 15-16 for a casual run. Could be more or less depending on who else is getting focus.

22 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

With Rath having a minimum level of 7, that means Rebecca needs what, 16 levels in 10-ish chapters? I don't see that happening without arena abuse or massive favoritism.

I don't see a ballista user as "necessary" when enemy units are weak, for the most part.

I imagine he could unless the higher level ones rolled high on speed, since they're weighed down by their weapons. At least, if he's not using a heavier bow.

Again, I don't see this happening without tons of favoritism because of her class.

I fail to see how a ballista user is "absolutely necessary" when it ain't like I'm gonna get my ass handed to me without one...  the monks are piss weak, so any Pegasus Knight can annihilate them with minimal damage if trained. The Bolting Sage... Rebecca needs like 19 speed to double since the ballista is MURDER on her speed, with her having only 5 con.

I'll give you that I can't expect Rath to get more than 2 levels in Lyn mode tops, but I fail to see how this is relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Make up for what? 

No favoritism or arena abuse necessary, plenty of pegasus knights and other enemies for her to shoot down. She is already lv 10 by chapter 17.

It's not necessary, but it makes things much more manageable and Rath can't do that, nor double them.

That's the problem, Iron Bow,Short Bows and Steel Bows are the only thing available. Steel Bows weight him down a bit.

No favouritism necessary as I said. Pegasus knights are easy prey to her, so I leave them for her to dispose off while the others deal with something else. It's a win-win situation, since the other units have better things to do than waste turns taking on Pegasus Knights.

I'm not getting my "ass" handed to me either by not using Rath. She has little trouble reaching that SPD, since she is already promoted by Four Fanged Offense, usually with 20 SPD and possibly higher. Don't forget that Bolting also weights a ton, so it evens out.

Making up for joining so late? I mean everyone is level 15 or higher by this point. Rebecca had time to already contribute with more than 10 chapters by now.

21 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Making up for joining so late? I mean everyone is level 15 or higher by this point. Rebecca had time to already contribute with more than 10 chapters by now.

If Rebecca is such a high level, any contributions she may have made are offset by the exp she got that other units didn't get.

It's pretty difficult to have more than a small number of people above Level 15 by Kinship's Bond on EHM/HHM. If you noticed the stats posted earlier, the enemies there are Level 7-8, and you get 3.33 less exp per kill for every level you are above your foe. By the time the gap is ~6, you're gaining very little exp at all (single digits).

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2018 at 3:25 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

If Rebecca is such a high level, any contributions she may have made are offset by the exp she got that other units didn't get.

It's pretty difficult to have more than a small number of people above Level 15 by Kinship's Bond on EHM/HHM. If you noticed the stats posted earlier, the enemies there are Level 7-8, and you get 3.33 less exp per kill for every level you are above your foe. By the time the gap is ~6, you're gaining very little exp at all (single digits).

Considering that Raven is lv 18 then, it's feasible.

Rebecca being lv 15 is likely, since she is lv 10 by chapter 17x. And this is whitout mentioning that Lyn, Hector, Matthew, Kent and Serra are all above lv 15 at Kingship's Bond. So a good deal of characters. So the experience is going to characters that matter. There's no offset, since she has growths and everyone that matters is growing well enough alongside her.

Edited by DiogoJorge

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Considering that Raven is lv 18 then, it's feasible.

Rebecca being lv 15 is likely, since she is lv 10 by chapter 17x. And this is whitout mentioning that Lyn, Hector, Matthew, Kent and Serra are all above lv 15 at Kingship's Bond. So a good deal of characters. So the experience is going to characters that matter. There's no offset, since she has growths and everyone that matters is growing well enough alongside her.

Are you sure you're talking about HHM here? Because with the exp decline as it is, I feel that it's highly unlikely that what you're saying is happening is likely to be the case with enemy levels being what they are.

11 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Are you sure you're talking about HHM here? Because with the exp decline as it is, I feel that it's highly unlikely that what you're saying is happening is likely to be the case with enemy levels being what they are.

Yeah, I'm sure. The exp declines a bit, but on HHM I had little issue having those levels.

4 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

Yeah, I'm sure. The exp declines a bit, but on HHM I had little issue having those levels.

Well, I call bullshit. I have a VERY hard time seeing Rebecca getting to level 10 in the span of what, 7 chapters? And Raven being level 18 by Kinship's Bond? I smell more bullshit. Or arena and/or boss abuse.

Getting the lords up to level 15 or so by chapter 22 on HHM is simple enough for me, so I imagine that with some arena use and boss kills, one could do the same for Rebecca.

But the level and number of non-boss enemies makes it pretty much impossible to get her up to level 15 without arena use and boss kills. (Enemies in chapter 21, for example, are only about level 7; a level 13 unit will get about 10 exp for killing each of them.)

And I think there are better units with which to use the arena and kill the bosses.

Because every unit in Lyn mode other than Sain, Kent, and Florina is effectively useless, both during the mode and in the long.

Also just because a unit is forced doesn't mean it is optimal to train them. Outside of Lyn, Roy is also a very good example of this.

Edited by CatManThree

On 22/05/2018 at 3:25 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, I call bullshit. I have a VERY hard time seeing Rebecca getting to level 10 in the span of what, 7 chapters? And Raven being level 18 by Kinship's Bond? I smell more bullshit. Or arena and/or boss abuse.

You can call whatever, fact is, I'm in middle of a playthrough and posting it on youtube and Rebecca is level 10 by chapter 17x

I don't do arena or boss abuse. Raven is usefull, so he levels, Rebecca is usefull, so she levels. There are no shortage of enemies those 2 don't excell at killing.

Pegasus Knights for Rebecca and plenty of enemies that Raven can double with a Steel Sword. Considering that the same is true for Lyn, as she can double just as much, she also will have little issue.

Edited by DiogoJorge

29 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

You can call whatever, fact is, I'm in middle of a playthrough and posting it on youtube and Rebecca is level 10 by chapter 17x

I don't do arena or boss abuse. Raven is usefull, so he levels, Rebecca is usefull, so she levels. There are no shortage of enemies those 2 don't excell at killing.

Pegasus Knights for Rebecca and plenty of enemies that Raven can double with a Steel Sword. Considering that the same is true for Lyn, as she can double just as much, she also will have little issue.

Well, as I see it, they're dragged down by being sword locked until promotion (Raven) and by being an archer (Rebecca), more so the latter since it heavily restricts her opportunities to gain exp. And it doesn't help that archers are generally best used for chip damage...

14 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, as I see it, they're dragged down by being sword locked until promotion (Raven) and by being an archer (Rebecca), more so the latter since it heavily restricts her opportunities to gain exp. And it doesn't help that archers are generally best used for chip damage...

I don't have any issues with being swordlocked, it's a reliably accurate weapon.

She attacks and causes damage in the 10's range, which is about the same most units do in a single hit and since they can't double consistently yet, it comes as no suprise that she's causing enough damage, if that's chip damage, then everyone is causing chip damage.

Also, archers don't get counterattacked and in return help allies to not get counterattacked in return by letting them finish off a weakened opponent.

Edited by DiogoJorge