Canonical Character Ages?

SoulWeaver

Thread name should explain this. Also someone tell a mod to move this if it should be somewhere else, I'm not certain where to post such question threads or if we have a dedicated general Fire Emblem question thread.

Anyways, I know some canonical ages for characters - Lyndis is 1815, Eliwood and Hector are 17, Marth is 15-17 depending on the game, Roy is about 16, Tiki is 3k or thereabouts, Myrrh is "1,200 years…roughly" but are there any other characters we have established ages for? Are there any characters you guys have headcanon ages for and would you mind sharing them here for my benefit…I mean, for everyone's benefit?

The reason I'm asking is for my writing - making relatively random pairings for characters across various games is surprisingly obnoxious to write, and a better grasp of where characters fit into an age-based list will in theory help me to make the pairings more believable as well as help with my general writing of those characters.

Also in the game files for Echoes, all characters had ages due to a dropped mechanic.

Spoiler

Delthea: 13

Kliff & Genny: 15

Boey & Est: 16

Alm, Celica, Tobin & Mae: 17

Gray, Faye & Clair: 18

Silque: 19

Catria & Atlas: 20

Conrad: 21

Luthier: 22

Palla: 23

Lukas, Leon & Jesse: 24

Forsyth, Python & Sonya: 25

Clive: 27

Mathilda, Tatiana & Kamui: 28

Zeke: 29

Deen: 30

Valbar: 31

Saber: 34

Mycen: 65

Nomah: 71

Yes Celica and Alm were aged up a year for Echoes. Plus Gaiden/Echoes is a year after the events of Shadow Dragon if I recall correctly, so you can discern the pegasus sisters' ages in FE1 and 3 from Echoes.

If you want an idea of Tellius, here are what the Recollections say. Take some of the apparent ages with a grain of salt, since Bastian is way too young at 24 and Tibarn looks bad for 30.

PoR:

Spoiler

Next to the numbers, you may see either “A” or “L”. Below is what they mean. If unlabeled, that is the character’s absolute age.

A = Apparent Age

According to the book, the “designed appearance age” (literal translation) is just the sort of appearance they were designed to have with a relative age. They are not absolute ages (such as Ike has on his profile).

L = Laguz

The book explains these are the Laguz age-of-appearance in human terms, as Laguz have different life spans to humans. This is by no means anywhere near their actual ages may be.

Also, the book ordered them by country/origin, if you were wondering about the character order.

The Ages:

Name Age
Ike 17
Mist 15
Titania 30 A
Soren 16 A
Oscar 24
Boyd 18 A
Gatrie 25 A
Shinon 27
Rhys 23 A
Rolf 12 A
Greil 47 A
Elena 35 A
Elincia 18 A
Geoffrey 21 A
Lucia 22 A
Bastian 24 A
Renning 39 A
Mia 17 A
Kieran 20 A
Brom 38 A
Nephenee 19 A
Caineghis 45 A L
Giffca 46 A L
Lethe 18 A L
Mordecai 20 A L
Ranulf 23 A L
Tibarn 30 A L
Ulki 30 A L
Janaff 30 A L
Reyson 22 A L
Leanne 18 A L
Naesala 25 A L
Nealuchi 76 A L
Dhegensea 50 A L
Kurthnaga 17 A L
Rajaion 23 A L
Ena 18 A L
Nasir 32 A L
Gareth 35 A L
Sanaki 10
Sigrun 25 A
Sephiran 28 A
Zelgius 26 A
Tanith 24 A
Marcia 18 A
Astrid 18 A
Makalov 20 A
Tormod 13 A
Muarim 27 A L
Ashnard 40 A
Black Knight Unknown
Petrine 33 A
Bertram Unknown
Tauroeno 54 A
Jill 17 A
Haar 34 A
Ilyana 16 A
Volke 33 A
Zihark 22 A
Sothe 14 A
Stefan 29 A
Devdan 32 A
Calil 24 A
Largo 29 A

RD:

Spoiler

Notes:

Every age is apparent age unless marked with an “A.”

Apparent Age:

According to the book, the “designed appearance age” (literal translation) is just the sort of appearance they were designed to have with a relative age. They are not absolute age.

A = Absolute/Actual:

This refers to the confirmed age. Only a few characters have this mark.

Regarding Laguz…

The book explains these are the Laguz age-of-appearance in human terms, as Laguz have different life spans to humans. This is by no means anywhere near their actual ages may be.

The Ages:

Name Age Name Age
Micaiah 15 Sothe 17
Edward` 15 Leonardo 16
Nolan 34 Laura 17
Aran 22 Tauroneo 54
Zihark 25 Fiona 20
Jill 20 Haar 37
Black Knight ?? Izuka 63
Pelleas 19 Almedha 26
Elincia 21 Lucia 25
Geoffrey 24 Bastian 27
Renning 42 Ilyana 19
Kieran 23 Marcia 21
Makalov 23 Astrid 21
Brom 41 Meg 16
Nephenee 22 Heather 27
Calill 26 Danved 35
Sanaki 13 A Sephiran 28
Zelgius 26 Sigrun 28
Tanith 27 Stefan 29
Tormod 16 Jarod ??
Lekain 51 Hetzel 64
Oliver 40 Ike 20 A
Mist 18 A Titania 33
Soren 16 Rhys 26
Gatrie 28 Shinon 30 A
Oscar 24 A Boyd 21 A
Rolf 15 Mia 20
Volke 36 Caineghis 45
Skrimir 25 Giffca 46
Ranulf 23 Kyza 19
Lyre 18 Lethe 18
Mordecai 20 Tibarn 30
Ulki 30 Janaff 30
Naesala 25 Nealuchi 76
Reyson 22 Leanne 18
Rafiel 24 Nailah 31
Volug 21 Dheginsea 50
Kurthnaga 17 Gareth 35
Ena 18 Nasir 32
Ashera ?? Yune ??

I ran some educated guesstimations, and I think Micaiah should be between 24-28 in terms of her real age. Zelgius should be about ~41. Soren should be ~20 in RD.

By the way, the SF Character Ages page, the Thracia section has solid numbers for almost everyone, but what is the source of these? I don't see it listed.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Sebskitties said:

Doesn't this conversation ensure he's 15 in Rd. As Almedha only saw Soren when he was a baby.

Here are my calculations for Soren's age, taken from my guesstimating of Zelgius's age.

Now we need to trace Soren's age. He says he was about 4 when the old woman who raised him handed him to the old sage, who died two years later, so about 6. This sage's death would have to be in the same year as Ike and Mist leaving Gallia due to Elena's accidental death. Next, we have Almedha, who says to Elincia in 4-2 that the last time she saw Ashnard was over twenty years ago. If we say literally 20 years, then that would mean the last time they saw each other was in ~629, since PoR begins in 645, ends a year later and RD is three years after that, we'd be looking at 629. So if we assume Ashnard discarded Almedha immediately after she gave birth and he saw nothing special in their child, then 629 is the year of Soren's birth. So him to be 6 when the old sage died, would be to give Elena's death a year of 635.

Soren gives his age numbers with the old woman and sage in his B Ike PoR support.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Here are my calculations for Soren's age, taken from my guesstimating of Zelgius's age.

Now we need to trace Soren's age. He says he was about 4 when the old woman who raised him handed him to the old sage, who died two years later, so about 6. This sage's death would have to be in the same year as Ike and Mist leaving Gallia due to Elena's accidental death. Next, we have Almedha, who says to Elincia in 4-2 that the last time she saw Ashnard was over twenty years ago. If we say literally 20 years, then that would mean the last time they saw each other was in ~629, since PoR begins in 645, ends a year later and RD is three years after that, we'd be looking at 629. So if we assume Ashnard discarded Almedha immediately after she gave birth and he saw nothing special in their child, then 629 is the year of Soren's birth. So him to be 6 when the old sage died, would be to give Elena's death a year of 635.

Soren gives his age numbers with the old woman and sage in his B Ike PoR support.

Wow! Pretty neat observations. I guess Micaiha's age was calculated in a similar manner.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

According to the internal data, Jedah is 147 years old. His daughter, Sonya, is only 25 0.o

geeze, way to go grandpa, nice to know that even in his old age he's still got it.

that's not completely impossible though, if I recall correctly my grandfather's dad was in his 60s when he was born, so when you have a seemingly all powerful being involved, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that such things would be possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, took me a while to get back around to it, but thanks guys, this has been most informative! Realizes Palla is only around a year or two older than I and begins planning
So, with that, are there any characters you guys have your own imagined ages for? I'm interested in those too so I have a ballpark to work with by comparing others' thoughts on them to my own estimates.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:53 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Anyways, I know some canonical ages for characters - Lyndis is 1815, Eliwood and Hector are 17...

Remember, Eliwood's and Hector's tale takes place one year after Lyndis' tale, and thus Lyndis is one year older. She was 1815 in her own tale, but she is 1916 in Eliwood's and Hector's tale, when Eliwood and Hector are 17.

A couple of points about Soren: According to Ena in the "bad ending" of PoR, Rajaion left Goldoa "some nineteen years ago." RD reveals that his reason for leaving Goldoa was to save Almedha and Soren; thus Soren must have been at least 19 years old at the end of PoR, and 22 at the end of RD.

Edited by Paper Jam