Awakening's reputation precedes it. An insane thing I saw today.

Well, maybe. Given what I saw today, I think it may be preceding it a tad too much. You will not believe what I saw. ...Wish I'd taken a picture. Ladies and lords, permit me to share this quick n' crazy little happenstance with you.

So today I went to Gamestop to pick up a $20 eEshop card so I could get the FEW Season Pass (which I have now purchased). I don't frequent Gamestop all that often, plus there's two nearby where I live, so I always look around first. I took a gander at their used DS and 3DS games. Among them was a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening. The insane part? The price. It cost US$50. Yes, you heard that right. 50 BUCKS. FOR A 3DS GAME! USED!!! At a freaking Gamestop for crying out loud. Like...holy mother of Mila. Can you believe that? I dread to think what a new copy goes for. I was speechless. That, and they had no amiibo out except for two Link (Rider) figures. Last time they had tons on the racks, including Chrom and Tiki, which I promptly bought. X)

I mean, I know Awakening did us quite the favor, but I don't think that warrants a $50 price tag, used or otherwise. Even Pokemon doesn't go for that much new. Though for all I know it could've just been a mistake/fluke, but I didn't ask about it. But what do you think? Is it worth its weight in gold dollars, or is it overkill?

59 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Well, maybe. Given what I saw today, I think it may be preceding it a tad too much. You will not believe what I saw. ...Wish I'd taken a picture. Ladies and lords, permit me to share this quick n' crazy little happenstance with you.

So today I went to Gamestop to pick up a $20 eEshop card so I could get the FEW Season Pass (which I have now purchased). I don't frequent Gamestop all that often, plus there's two nearby where I live, so I always look around first. I took a gander at their used DS and 3DS games. Among them was a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening. The insane part? The price. It cost US$50. Yes, you heard that right. 50 BUCKS. FOR A 3DS GAME! USED!!! At a freaking Gamestop for crying out loud. Like...holy mother of Mila. Can you believe that? I dread to think what a new copy goes for. I was speechless. That, and they had no amiibo out except for two Link (Rider) figures. Last time they had tons on the racks, including Chrom and Tiki, which I promptly bought. X)

I mean, I know Awakening did us quite the favor, but I don't think that warrants a $50 price tag, used or otherwise. Even Pokemon doesn't go for that much new. Though for all I know it could've just been a mistake/fluke, but I didn't ask about it. But what do you think? Is it worth its weight in gold dollars, or is it overkill?

It's not the game itself, it's the terrible business practices and overpricing of used games at FraudStop. If you had bought 13 there at that price, none of the money would go to Nintendo and would never be given to IS, which is 100% fucked up.

24 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

It's not the game itself, it's the terrible business practices and overpricing of used games at FraudStop. If you had bought 13 there at that price, none of the money would go to Nintendo and would never be given to IS, which is 100% fucked up.

If that's true...well that's unfortunate. Gamestop is usually pretty convenient for me since they're closest. But I could always waltz into a Best Buy, Walmart, or Target instead.

Don't give gamestop your business.
Their name is appropriate, you see; they should stop their fucking games. Because hot damn are they a shitty company.
It's like some of the lowest of the scum of in the retail pond. Forget about 'em and let them die, they aren't going to be lasting much longer if we're being real.

That's crazy, I...

got it absolutely for free because it was a gift from my sister.

Also...

53 minutes ago, Maritisa said:

It's like some of the lowest of the scum of in the retail pond.

This.

Majority of their used games go for not that much cheaper than new games unless the game did so poorly that they have to put it on clearance.  It's a rip off too 'cuz you can only trade in your games for a small fraction of the original price so that they could get you to buy in on their rewards system.  My dad sold them three of his own games so that he could buy my brother and I a game we really wanted... and all he got for those three games was a measly $5.

Cheap assholes...

Though I'd say they also aren't cheap because Awakening did so well that there aren't very many used copies of the game floating around.  You might occasionally find them in smaller media stores for half their original price or whatever, but at big retailers you're not gonna be able to buy 'em cheaply.

@Ertrick36

My god, your avatar is absolutely amazing! Please have a thumbs up ?

Anyways, as much I love to put Awakening on a pedestal there's no real special reason for the game to be that expensive. No more than Echoes anyways & I think Echoes incredibly over rated but not in a bad way.

Edited by Zangetsu

12 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

If that's true...well that's unfortunate. Gamestop is usually pretty convenient for me since they're closest. But I could always waltz into a Best Buy, Walmart, or Target instead.

Same here, because I live in hell, California. But uhhhh they are terrible as a business and constantly rip off their consumer base. 

On 2/9/2018 at 2:05 AM, Zangetsu said:

My god, your avatar is absolutely amazing! Please have a thumbs up ?

Anyways, as much I love to put Awakening on a pedestal there's no real special reason for the game to be that expensive. No more than Echoes anyways & I think Echoes incredibly over rated but not in a bad way.

It's funny, someone else expressed shock about this new portrait.  I had been playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic lately, and I was inspired to create this portrait because of... a certain plot twist.  Thirty-or-fifty minutes in GIMP later, and this is what I have.

I think a lot of the more popular FE's might be overrated.  And I say that as someone who really enjoyed Awakening, Fates, and Echoes (not popular in general, but it's certainly popular here).  I say it because having played other FE's, I don't think that the popular games are necessarily better than any of the other games.  By no means are they worse, but the other games are just as deserving of the attention as the 3DS games are.  They each have their own things going for them, I think.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's funny, someone else expressed shock about this new portrait.  I had been playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic lately, and I was inspired to create this portrait because of... a certain plot twist.  Thirty-or-fifty minutes in GIMP later, and this is what I have.

I think a lot of the more popular FE's might be overrated.  And I say that as someone who really enjoyed Awakening, Fates, and Echoes (not popular in general, but it's certainly popular here).  I say it because having played other FE's, I don't think that the popular games are necessarily better than any of the other games.  By no means are they worse, but the other games are just as deserving of the attention as the 3DS games are.  They each have their own things going for them, I think.

That plot twist has to be a close 2nd with Vader revealing himself as Luke's father still being 1st. Kinda hard to beat that when it's iconic to the point non-Star Wars fans can recognize. Still a really good game despite how dated it is.

I was under the impression the Echoes/Gaiden has become very beloved, I don't see people hating anything on it other than certain things like Celica's role in the story. & If I'm going off by reaction I'm way under the impression that Fate is only like for it's gameplay & that it. I do agree what you say each Fire Emblem game having it's own charm but I don't think I can ever play the NES & SNES era.