Camilla: Holiday Traveler

BANRYU

340px-Full_Special_Camilla_(Happy_New_Ye

Camilla: Holiday Traveler

For whatever reason, no one ever seems to talk about New Years' Camilla, which is rather surprising, considering just how much power she can pack given her high stats and access to flier boosts. So you thought Elincia was the sovereign of the skies, the queen of the quads, the only sword flier of the lot to matter? (Though Caeda is finally at item as well at long last...) Well, Camilla and her massive... BST would like a word with that notion. Whereas Elincia has the unparalleled player phase game with Amiti and Caeda has excellent utility with Wing Sword's effective damage and high Res for ploys, Camilla can both take hits (something the other two can't boast much of) and dish them out-- and just happens to be able to hit a speed that lets her come damn close to Elincia's numbers on offense to boot. It's a shame poor Hinoka wasn't invited to the Hoshidan new year festivities, because the eastern kingdom has a new queen of the skies.

Level 40 stats:
HP: 36 / 40 / 43
Atk: 30 / 33 / 36
Spd: 32 / 35 / 38
Def: 28 / 31 / 34
Res: 20 / 23 / 27
Total: 161~163

Default skills:
Weapon: Kadomatsu+
Assist: --
Special: Draconic Aura
Passive A: Spd/Def Bond 3
Passive B: --
Passive C: Ward Fliers

Draconic Myrmidon (Slaying Edge offense)
*Optimal Build* General Use, Arena Offense/Defense, Chain modes

Spoiler

Suggested IV: +Spd/-Res, +Spd/-HP

• -Res: 45 HP | 50 Atk | 44/47 Spd | 34 Def | 23 Res
  • -HP: 41 HP | 50 Atk | 44/47 Spd | 34 Def | 26 Res

Weapon: Slaying Edge+ [Spd]
Assist: Reposition
Special: Dragon Fang* / Draconic Aura / Galeforce
Passive A: Fury 3
Passive B: Chill Speed/Defense 3 / Swordbreaker 3 / Desperation 3 / flexible
Passive C: Ward/Goad/Fortify Fliers / flexible
Sacred Seal: Heavy Blade* / Speed+3

Packing Fury along with a Speed refinement brings Camilla scarily close to Ayra's statline, and if that wasn't already a threat to be reckoned with, Camilla can add Flier buffs to the mix to pump her offensive potential through the roof and into the clouds, making it ungodly easy for Heavy Blade to consistently activate Dragon Fang in any duel where she doubles (which in all likelihood will be all of them, if her team brings the right buffs) and is attacked. The lack of reliance on player phase-dependent skills and her solid defense on top of stellar speed means she is capable of baiting and tanking melee units just as easily as initiating on player-phase, making her just as threatening whether defending at melee range or going on the attack. This is the crux of the build and all that's truly necessary, though there are a few still-useful variations. If the Heavy Blade seal is needed elsewhere or if Camilla is not being run alongside a flier team to get easy buffs to her speed, Draconic Aura and Speed+3 may be worthy of consideration, though overall are not as potent as Heavy Blade Dragon Fang. Another possibility for flier teams and +Atk Camilla is to run Galeforce as her special, another skill that she can activate in a single round of combat thanks to the rapid special cooldown effects of Heavy Blade Slaying Edge-- two slaps of her blade will have it primed and ready for her to cut through her opposition or escape to safety. 

Due to how little she depends on it for her basic functionality, Camilla's B-slot is highly versatile; Chill Speed and Chill Defense are some of the most desirable effects due to their ability to provide team support as well as softening her targets with minimal effort, albeit expensive options. Cancel Affinity, though situational,  allows her to muscle her way past Triangle Adept blues (one of the few blockades she will have difficulty smashing through with the Dragon Fang setup). Swordbreaker is perhaps her next best option for combat matchups, letting her beat opposing Swordbreaker-packing sword units with her often-superior speed and allowing her to counter the likes of Ayra and others who come close to her speed when they initiate on her. Apart from these, she many useful options at her disposal; Renewal, Escape Route, and Desperation all synergize rather well with Fury's recoil, and Desperation especially may be particularly good with the Galeforce variant since she does not need to be countered to activate it so long as Heavy Blade is in effect. 

For team support, she will naturally want to run flier buffs if running with a flier team, with her native Ward Fliers perfectly usable to that end, while Goad Fliers is also a useful and easy-to-obtain choice. Outside of flier teams (though really, why use her as such when flier buffs are what set her apart from other strong swords), Guidance is a useful skill, and she can also run Threaten Attack or Attack Smoke to get the most out of Heavy Blade, should she choose to run it. 

Sword of the Sun (Wo Dao healtank)
General Use, Chain modes, Special Maps

Spoiler

Suggested IV: +Spd/-Res, +Spd/-HP

• -Res: 45 HP | 50 Atk | 44*/47 Spd | 34 Def | 23 Res
  • -HP: 41 HP | 50 Atk | 44*/47 Spd | 34 Def | 26 Res

Weapon: Wo Dao+ [Spd]
Assist: Reposition
Special: Sol* / Noontime
Passive A: Fury 3
Passive B: Renewal 3 / Swordbreaker 3 / flexible
Passive C: Ward/Goad/Fortify Fliers / flexible
Sacred Seal: Heavy Blade* / Speed+3

In a similar vein to the previous build, this one aims for longevity as opposed to outright combat potency. As of the time of writing, flying Staff units do not yet exist in the game, and as such it can be advantageous for a flier team's tank to run a self-healing build for the purpose of long-term modes like Chain Challenge and Tempest Trial, as well as some flavors of Special Maps like Grand Hero Battles. To this end, Camilla's ability to abuse Heavy Blade alongside the enhanced special damage effect of Wo Dao makes for a potent self-sustaining tank set when combined with Sol, activating in every round of combat where Camilla doubles and is countered. Though the set will perform best in the context of a flier team, much like the last one it can still be used outside of one, where Noontime and Speed+3 seal are suggested for more reliable special activation (though there are many better alternatives for sword units outside of Flier Emblem comps, so it may be best to simply make sure her Heavy Blade is active as often as possible for Sol's activation). 

As with the previous build, her C-slot is more of the same and her B-slot is as flexible as ever, with many of the same skills (Chill Speed, Chill Defense, Swordbreaker, Escape Route) being just as useful on this build as the last, though Renewal gets a special mention for the additional healing and longevity it provides, as that IS the aim of this build.

Decoration Defiler (budget)
General Use, Chain modes

Spoiler

Suggested IV: any

Weapon: Kadomatsu+ [Spd/Def]
Assist: Reposition / flexible
Special: Draconic Aura / Bonfire
Passive A: Def-Spd Bond 3 / Fury 3
Passive B: Swordbreaker 3 / Renewal 3 / flexible
Passive C: Ward Fliers / flexible
Sacred Seal: Def+3 / Spd+3 / Close Def 3 / Guidance 3 / flexible

As strong as her optimal build can be, Camilla can still be quite strong even just working with her default skills, taking advantage of her good stats and perfectly decent base kit. Kadomatsu may even be an attractive option for defensive flier teams that stack Ward, Fortify, or other defensive boosts. Otherwise, all she really needs is a solid B-skill (for which there are many cheap and useful choices) and a decent Assist skill... So Reposition, probably. Fury and Bonfire are also good options for going a step further beyond her base kit, respectively expanding on her already-inflated BST and working off of her good defense that she gets from Fury or Def/Speed Bond.

Other Options: 

• Brave Sword - Sure, she can do it. Why would you bother when Elincia exists though, unless you reeeeeally want to and you reeeeally can't pull Elincia? If Camilla is -Spd or +Atk, she makes for a perfectly passable bulky brave user, so she at least has more survivability than Elincia on enemy phase-- most of the time that won't matter, but you never know?
  • Firesweep Sword - Elincia actually outperforms her at this one too, ironically. Not a bad choice for her, but when her defense is actually pretty good, why give up her good enemy phase? It's a decent (if expensive) option for -Def natures at least. 
  • Distant Counter + Iote's Shield -  she CAN do it on a Slaying Edge set, but there are other anti-Bow options for flier teams that are not only better, but easier to build. 
Edited by BANRYU

Okay, the somehow-most-overlooked flier build this side of the Hoshidan border is written up; I'll finish up the budget build a bit later, but I think it speaks for itself. 

I'm strongly considering just leaving all of her other potential builds (Firesweep, Brave, Slaying tank) as Other Options, since 1) Wo Dao is F2P-obtainable now, and 2) any of the others would be compromising either her player phase or enemy phase performance, and why bother when the Wo Dao set does both so damn well? 
EDIT: actually there IS the possibility of Slaying Edge + Heavy Blade Dragon Fang that I just thought of, so I'll run calcs on that later to see how it compares to the main build. 

If anyone wants to sell me on writing up one of the other builds, or possibly something I've overlooked on her, I'm all ears. 

Edited by BANRYU

I don’t have a NY Camilla, as Elincia broke my pity rate. However, looking at your optimal build makes me think Desperation would work well. She has the defenses to tank a few hits, but Fury would drop her into range pretty quickly, and she’d have the speed to take advantage of it. 

On 2/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, Eridras said:

I don’t have a NY Camilla, as Elincia broke my pity rate. However, looking at your optimal build makes me think Desperation would work well. She has the defenses to tank a few hits, but Fury would drop her into range pretty quickly, and she’d have the speed to take advantage of it. 

It's possible certainly, yeah, and she definitely has the speed for it. My thinking was that retaining the ability to be counterattacked is more important since Draconic Aura won't activate in a single round without that, but it does make me think that she would use it well along with Glimmer; I'll run some calcs and see how it does. Thanks for the input o3o)-b

Aight Desperation is mentioned in the main set as an additional option outside of the slashes, and the budget build is written up. It's pretty straightforward but sorry if I got too lazy with it x3x

In other words, done. 

I updated this a little bit with some miscellaneous fixes here and there.

I continue to be baffled that apparently people don't consider a unit with Ayra-levels of stat inflation that gets equally deadly performance on player phase AND enemy phase, as well as flier mobility and buff access, to be the best thing ever. 

EDIT: OKAY WAIT. I had another set idea that better justifies this bump...... 

lemme just see here... so if..... Slaying Edge, Galeforce would be.... 4 CD.... and then, if Heavy Blade.... Attack: CD 4-> 2, counter: 2->1, attack: 1-> proc...
.......hmmm.

I might be able to make a case for a slaying edge build after all.....
So if.... If the Bloody Sword build, but... Slaying Edge and Galeforce instead....

....oh yeah. That could work. 

Edited by BANRYU

I am a little sad that I never got her. Darn you, stupid Ayra pity breaker. At least I got NY!Azura, but I digress.

Also, @Ice Dragon hasn’t updated the analysis index with the spring or New Years version’s of Camilla even though they have a thread for them

2 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Also, @Ice Dragon hasn’t updated the analysis index with the spring or New Years version’s of Camilla even though they have a thread for them

Work has been busy as of late, and things like Voting Gauntlets and whatnot didn't help.

2 hours ago, Poimagic said:

I am a little sad that I never got her. Darn you, stupid Ayra pity breaker. At least I got NY!Azura, but I digress.

It's fine, Icedrag has a lot of stuff to deal with. 

Also condolences, but holy wow at least Ayra is pretty cool o3o I still haven't got HER myself lol ;; 

Allright I've made another update to this gal. Found out Slaying Edge Dragon Fang outperforms Wo Dao Draconic Aura in the damage department, so the Heavy Blade build has been split apart into the dedicated damage dealer (+ potential Galeforce abuser) with Slaying Edge, and the Wo Dao-wielding healtank which has served me quite well thus far (though now I need to try the slaying set, now that I know about it....)