Impressive Young Gamer Feats

Randoman

Do you personally know anyone who's been able to accomplish really impressive gaming feats at a really young age? Were you yourself a gamer who was really talented even at a really young age?

In university, I knew these 2 guys from university who defeated the original Super Mario Bros. at ages 2 1/2 and 3, respectively. Even if they didn't have any video proof of it, their gaming skills in general was proof enough for me, especially with them constantly beating me in Smash Bros. and their Nintendo platformer skills being really impressive. One of those guys told me if he actually knew how to read at 2 1/2 years old, he would've stood a chance at defeating the original Legend of Zelda, which sounds believable enough to me.

As for me personally being a really talented gamer at a really young age, I'm not really sure if most people would consider me as such. To put things into perspective, I defeated Super Mario World when I was 9 years old (but I used the Forest of Illusion Star Road warp to reach Bowser's Castle), I defeated Final Fantasy IV (a.k.a. Final Fantasy II for NA for the SNES) when I was somewhere between 10-11 years old, and I defeated all the Super Mario All-Stars games (so Super Mario Bros. 1-3, plus Lost Levels including World 9) when I was 11 years old.

I never really considered myself a really talented gamer, but all my friends thought I was because I had beaten every Halo game in existence when i was younger on legendary difficulty. Since then I always play games on their hardest difficulty, maybe just to live up to that, but on the block I was considered the "master at video games", although the real reason was probably that everyone else was more limited by parents than I was.

49 minutes ago, Randoman said:

One of those guys told me if he actually knew how to read at 2 1/2 years old, he would've stood a chance at defeating the original Legend of Zelda, which sounds believable enough to me.

I wasn't a talented gamer at that age, but a talented reader. My parents would make me read the signs at basketball games and stuff because people didn't believe them. They found out I could when I asked my grandma what cappuccino was after seeing an ad for it on the back of the newspaper she was reading.

I didn't play games until I was like 6, and I wasn't that good at them. I could only beat a few levels on my own in Super Mario World. My cousin gave me his old SNES. Sometimes I beat him at Street Fighter just by button mashing lol. I remember always being Sagat and then having to be told why girls can't run around shirtless with rolled up pants to the knees and socker boppers on the hands. I was a major tomboy. I was pissed when they told me to put a shirt on. I didn't get it. 

I beat Final Fantasy 2(4) when I was 4 years old with minimal help. 

I don't know how I did it, but it started a trend of me beating tons of text heavy JRPGs like Xenogears, and Final Fantasy 7 and 8 by the time I was 8/9.

Final Fantasy Tactics was my wall. I had to go back to that when I was 11.

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I beat Final Fantasy 2(4) when I was 4 years old with minimal help. 

I don't know how I did it, but it started a trend of me beating tons of text heavy JRPGs like Xenogears, and Final Fantasy 7 and 8 by the time I was 8/9.

Final Fantasy Tactics was my wall. I had to go back to that when I was 11.

Impressive, I think the only JRPGs I got through when I was younger were Evolution worlds and Paper Mario (If you count that as a JRPG ) :^)

On the other hand I Almost forgot that I did play a lot of RTS games, Which none of my friends had the patience to play, game like Age of Empires, Starcraft, Dawn of War, and pretty much the rest of the ensemble titles.

24 minutes ago, JimmyBeans said:

Impressive, I think the only JRPGs I got through when I was younger were Evolution worlds and Paper Mario (If you count that as a JRPG ) :^)

On the other hand I Almost forgot that I did play a lot of RTS games, Which none of my friends had the patience to play, game like Age of Empires, Starcraft, Dawn of War, and pretty much the rest of the ensemble titles.

Oh, that reminds me. WarCraft 2 was my first real PC game, and I don't recall beating it, but I recall getting fairly far and playing it often when my family got our first PC. I think I was 5 or 6.

Judging this and FFT, I think strategy games were a bit beyond my grasp for a while, but I was determined to try at least. 

Also, I think Paper Mario counts. While I was primarily a Sony kid, my best friend had an N64, and I think he got pretty far in it. It is a bit simpler and less heady than something like Xenogears or FF, but the fundamentals are there. He did beat Ocarina of Time at a pretty young age. He was probably 7 or 8 for that. Majora's Mask stumped both of us for a good while, though. 

Edited by Slumber

I had an older brother that got first crack at every game, and with me watching him all the time, being able to beat the games he could doesn't seem especially impressive. I remember figuring out chapter 2 of Paper Mario on my own by discovering the oasis. Super Mario Bros. was one of the first games I ever played on my game boy, but I don't know when I beat that game. Or Pokemon. In general, most games I played as a child were really easy with probably the lone exception of Zelda 1 and 2, neither of which I managed to beat until I came back in my late teens.