Do you think full voice acting should return?

Do you think full voice acting should return?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think full voice acting should return?

• Yes, it made the series better
    • No, I would have the pre Echoes voice acting

Of course. As other's have already stated, it would be a step backwards if they didn't use it. It still astonishes me how much it added to the characters in echoes,  and I especially want the comments during battle to return.

The only thing that I wonder if voice acting will return for is supports, and that's only because the amount of them can range from reasonable to ridiculous depending on the game. I don't know how much money IS is willing to put into the voice acting, but considering how much dialogue is fully voiced in much larger games, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should definitely have full voice acting for all story scenes and base conversations (if they have them). Whether this should extend to supports and NPC is another question. Voice acting is very expensive, and the only reason they were able to do so in Echoes is because it had a shorter story (compared to what I expect from FE Switch), with a smaller cast, who had very limited supports.

Absolutely, voice acting adds so much charm to a game. It also makes me a lot more invested in the characters and story, because it helps bring out so much more emotion than for me to just read the text on the screen. I would at least want all the lines in the main story to be voiced. Supports and other conversations don't have to be because it could be pricey. 

This is a silly question, because DUH. Yes. I wish Awakening had full voice acting. Echoes was by far superb because of it. Even characters I'd usually probably dislike got so much more dimension just by being voice acted. Made me appreciate all the characters a bit more. Better than the stupid grunts and nosies in Awakening.

Even though I sometimes skip the voice acting because I read fast, it was nice to listen when I wanted (especially at the intro of new characters), because after a few lines I would get their voices in my head, so even if I skipped, I could still hear them! And most of the voice acting was pretty superb for a game, so I was super happy!

I feel like Fates might have even been better (maybe?) had they had voiced supports and stuff, because I feel like it lost a lot of emotion without voices (though maybe not because I probably would have died listening to Camilla's breathy voice for every support). 

Edited by Sunsurge

Yeah it was a far leap from the early days of Fire Emblem when only cutscenes had voice acting. And think about the ones closer to Echoes they rarely had any voice acting, Echoes and Warriors made that leap with full voice acting to make the game more enjoyable. 

Oh, absolutely. As long as all the characters have strong voice acting, I would be all for it. To me, Echoes showed that they can actually pull it off, so I see no reason to not fully voice the game.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:44 PM, Køkø said:

The voices were nowhere near as good as lot of people make them out to be. I guess when you're so used to shitty voice acting you're impressed by anything marginally better. 

The voices really weren't that bad. Obviously some weren't as good as others, but I think I can definitely say there was no "bad" voice acting in Echoes, at least. (Definitely were some questionable voices in like, Fates. @Siegbert and others. Maybe Awakening too? idk, I don't remember them that well lol.)

3 hours ago, SuperIb said:

The voices really weren't that bad. Obviously some weren't as good as others, but I think I can definitely say there was no "bad" voice acting in Echoes, at least. (Definitely were some questionable voices in like, Fates. @Siegbert and others. Maybe Awakening too? idk, I don't remember them that well lol.)

Come on dude, I just cleared that up with someone else. 

On 2/11/2018 at 12:14 AM, Køkø said:

I never said I didn't like Echoes' voice acting, I said if it were in my power I would not bother making future games have full voice acting. I'd rather they focus on story and gameplay, not bells, whistles, and cherries. I even said it had the best in the series, I don't get how you missed that. 

I assumed that anyone familiar with Tellius voice acting and some of the more questionable voice acting  in Awakening and Fates would see anything better as a step up. I agree, just not with the amount of fawning I've been seeing. Particularly over Berkut and Lukas, which mostly seems to be from horny girls. 

I like the voice acting. It's the best in the series. It's not the best on Earth, or even within video games like I've been seeing people say. I gave my hypothesis on why they may feel that way and I also gave my reasons why I wouldn't bother with it. That money and effort should be spent in more essential fields, if they can do it all then great. But with the recent track record, I doubt it. I'd rather have a good game with no or minimal voice acting than a bad one with Oscar worthy performances. 

On 2/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Hawkwing said:

Of course. As other's have already stated, it would be a step backwards if they didn't use it. It still astonishes me how much it added to the characters in echoes,  and I especially want the comments during battle to return.

The only thing that I wonder if voice acting will return for is supports, and that's only because the amount of them can range from reasonable to ridiculous depending on the game. I don't know how much money IS is willing to put into the voice acting, but considering how much dialogue is fully voiced in much larger games, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I can easily see something along the lines of how Atlus handles Persona.

All main events are voiced, but most of the Social Links/Confidants are not fully voiced (until the very last one anyway).

I'm really divided on the  full voice acting XD

First of all, full voice acting is really great, and I love it (i voted for it), it makes the game so much more immersive and give the characters a lot of personality, like in FE Warriors when some quotes from the original games gave me a new perception of some characters.

The thing is, English is not my first language, but I understand it good enough that when the game is fully dubbed, I barely read the text anymore. Playing the game in my native language (French) has a little something that makes the game more enjoyable to me, like a sparkle in my heart, and I loose it with the full english voice acting that distracts me from the text.

Fire Emblem is the only game in that situation, as I noticed that with Echoes and Warriors. Usually the games have either French text AND French voices (Zelda, the Witcher, all AAA western games) or no French at all (Persona, NIS games,etc). But then french dubs get really awkward when there are many characters or pure romance, so I'm not sure it would be better XD

I hope we can have dual audio, Japanese dub is a good compromise XD

Awakening was perfect to me, as the battle quotes didn't break the immersion and the dialogues only had sounds by the character voices.

Edited by FuranSuwa

On 2/13/2018 at 12:33 AM, Køkø said:

Come on dude, I just cleared that up with someone else. 

Then you may want to edit the first comment to change the wording, because I don't think anybody would instantly understand what you were trying to convey. Now, I actually looked at the previous page and at what the other person and you were talking about, but didn't really when I posted my previous comment. Sorry~

On 2/13/2018 at 12:33 AM, Køkø said:

That money and effort should be spent in more essential fields, if they can do it all then great. But with the recent track record, I doubt it. I'd rather have a good game with no or minimal voice acting than a bad one with Oscar worthy performances. 

I'd argue that they shouldn't have a problem doing full voice-acting and making a good story/overall game if they have the money to do so. I don't think they really need to reallocate their assets only for the base game, because if they need to do that, they clearly messed up in their initial budgeting anyways. So basically, as long as they have the means to do it, I feel like they should.

Besides, it really would feel like a step backwards if they didn't. The voice acting really did make Echoes a better game. Without it, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with it as I did. Don't discount what voice acting can do for a game, it really can make things a lot better.

2 hours ago, SuperIb said:

Then you may want to edit the first comment to change the wording, because I don't think anybody would instantly understand what you were trying to convey. Now, I actually looked at the previous page and at what the other person and you were talking about, but didn't really when I posted my previous comment. Sorry~

Well anyone else who's confused can look at where I explained myself further. Not that I didn't make myself clear the first time.  

2 hours ago, SuperIb said:

I'd argue that they shouldn't have a problem doing full voice-acting and making a good story/overall game if they have the money to do so. I don't think they really need to reallocate their assets only for the base game, because if they need to do that, they clearly messed up in their initial budgeting anyways. So basically, as long as they have the means to do it, I feel like they should.

IS shouldn't have a problem with a lot of things, but it is what it is.  

29 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

If they're doing Character Creation, then no. I'd not like the protagonists' name skipped over or made generic. It just detracts from the point of naming the character. 

How would that change anything? Not like that'll matter since they'll have a default name anyway plus they can easily use simple nicknames (ie Milord, Milady, Sire etc) it was fine in many other series games it was no problem same could be for this game.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

10 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

How would that change anything? Not like that'll matter since they'll have a default name anyway plus they can easily use simple nicknames (ie Milord, Milady, Sire etc) it was fine in many other series games it was no problem same could be for this game.

It honestly wouldn't, but it would be a peeve to name your character and never have their name mentioned except on a document or something. 

1 hour ago, ElectiveToast said:

It honestly wouldn't, but it would be a peeve to name your character and never have their name mentioned except on a document or something. 

Not at all at best naming the Avatar is mostly for online with other players it doesn't matter if they don't say it they have a default name to use for other games anyway.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

On 2/10/2018 at 10:44 PM, Køkø said:

I already know I'm in the extreme minority here, but no. I read much faster than I listen, so I skipped through the dialogue before the lines were delivered. It just slows me down. If I want to watch a show, I'll do that. If Echoes' plot was actually worth something I might care a bit more.

I'm the same way I think, listening to characters speak in say Bravely Default or Tales takes much longer than just reading it. The only advantage is a voiceover makes sure I'm not misreading any line by forcing me to take it slowly and have some time to process it.

I actually turned off the VAs in Fates and SoV. And I think I'd turn them off in Awakening if I ever got to playing it again. Critical and victory quips lose their luster on utterance 278. I'm okay with VAs in other games, and if you want them, you can have them, but I'm just not so big on them in FE. I didn't like them in Breath of the Wild either- which doesn't give me a VA off option.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, Jave said:

There is like, zero reason to vote "No" on this poll.

If you don't like it, there's always the option to turn it off.

Echoes and Warriors did have such an option?

Now that I think about it, is anyone having problems with Warriors VA in dock mode? I didn't hear the voiced lines for whatever reason and I have two tv's. It just works on portable mode.

Also, to answer OP's question: 

Personally, no. I understand that people like it, but I just can't stand it. Warriors specially is very cringe to hear. I know the devs are going nuts about this, so, at least just give the option to turn it off.

On 11/02/2018 at 1:46 AM, Jave said:

There is like, zero reason to vote "No" on this poll.

If you don't like it, there's always the option to turn it off.

I agree! VA adds depth to the characters and make it easier to follow the story imo.

Yeah the FE Warriors VA is a definite turn off seems very off in alot of areas pretty fearful for full on complete set of supports for main games unless the VAs fully improved on it but easy solution is to not have them during the support convos themselves Awakening/Fates did that perfectly well and keep em in story scenes, confessions etc.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I would like to see full voice acting return ! But, please let us choose the language... Echoes SoV was really better in the japanese version ! Maybe Berkut was good in the english version but trust me, he was better in the japanese one !

19 minutes ago, Mistik said:

I would like to see full voice acting return ! But, please let us choose the language... Echoes SoV was really better in the japanese version ! Maybe Berkut was good in the english version but trust me, he was better in the japanese one !

If their better at listening to their audience they'll at least add a language voice pack as a free update if its not included from start.

49 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

If their better at listening to their audience they'll at least add a language voice pack as a free update if its not included from start.

I hope so ! I was really desapointed when I noticed there wasn't any japanese voices in Echoes... :(

(Actually if the voice acting would be like that of Fire Emblem Warriors then I'd change my stance on this, no offense to people who enjoyed that game but like, yikes to some of it. But if it's like SoV then we all gucci.)

Edited by SuperIb