FE Gaiden - Mila's Retribution Project Version 2.0 (Part I - CH1,CH2 & CH3))

Ronlyn

Hello guys, it has been a while doesn't it? Today I bring you my first go on nightmare modules: A rebalance project on Fire Emblem : Gaiden

You see, some days ago I tried to play this old gem since echoes it's so far away from my hands and I just drop it at the beginning of CH3. Some could say it was the difficulty, but what really brush me in the wrong way was the fact that you need to grind in order to avoid frustration in the near future, and I really hate games with that kind of mindset, so I decided to give it whirl and make it better. 

*UPDATE* VERSION 2.0 IS OUT

Changelog:

- All units on both routes got their bases & growths rates completely redone in order to avoid empty level ups (I played this whole thing twice and I haven't get an empty level yet) or units which are completely useless (I'm looking at you Boey). 

Spoiler

Qg8V8pb.png

lpwypTx.png

- All weapons were changed in order to both bring a balance between power vs speed and create a more unique artillery

Spoiler

sxmjJmz.png

- Magic spells got buffed since they don't scale with skill in order to ensure they are relevant the entire game

Spoiler

mSx7NuD.png

- All classes base stats were changed in order to both nerf overpower enemies (the mercenary tree) and make other stand out (soldier tree)

Spoiler

qUrFa2N.png

- Several changes were made to make sure the game is beatable even without the use of stat boost via the Lion Heads

Spoiler

DN9f5Wm.png

- New palettes for both player and enemy units:

Spoiler

UJuegZ1.png
nM9qwyf.png

With this out of the way, here's the file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lekrcdzoekzhsh4/FE2 MR v2.0.rar?dl=0

(You only need to patch a clean file, please don't use any translation or anything)

***VERY IMPORTANT***: This mod has been tuned with the EASY MODE in mind, please do not play it under NORMAL MODE unless you really want a BAD TIME

If anyone can give me some feedback and suggestions, I would be glad

Edited by ronlyn

Seems interesting. Is Clive going to become a better unit? For his growths I would sugest:

HP 50% STR 40% SKL 40% SPD 30% DEF 35% LUK 25%

Also, remove the Angel ring from equation or have it increase growths by 10%, rather than double the amount gained.

Needless to say, but if you improve everyone's growths, the bosses and some enemies probably shoud be buffed a bit.

Edited by DiogoJorge

I got out version 1.0 (several stats and growths were modified as I played though both Ch1 and Ch2, including M.def). I also took pics of Alm and Celica's teams at the start of Ch3 so you can have a look and compare them with their vanilla counterpart (just to give everyone and advance: boey can now properly do his job of tank stuff like the man he is)

2 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Seems interesting. Is Clive going to become a better unit? For his growths I would sugest:

HP 50% STR 40% SKL 40% SPD 30% DEF 35% LUK 25%

Also, remove the Angel ring from equation or have it increase growths by 10%, rather than double the amount gained.

Needless to say, but if you improve everyone's growths, the bosses and some enemies probably shoud be buffed a bit.

Those growths might work on thracia ( a game I would like to touch after this one it's done), but my vision is to keep the original game design while improving all the characters in the process (because lord knows Boey and Python receive the short end of the stick while May and Leo had all the fun)

Speaking of the Angel ring: Yeah, I moved that thing further in Celica's route since now most characters have chances to level up at least one stat that will help them in the long run (str/spd/def/hp while skl and luck are better overall)

Enemies and Bosses are still a threat and should be seen as such: You would be surprised with the amount of enemies than suddenly become deadly with something as simple as +1 movement. Besides, this is the tutorial and I don't want to screw anyone in case some of their units came out as crap (not as bad as vanilla but still)

Midgame and Lategame however.........

Edited by ronlyn

Finally done with this project gameplay wise. I would like some people to test it in search of missteps or advices to further enhance the experience of gaiden 

My final team:

Spoiler

S5b4cBm.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 5:58 PM, Cooligno1234 said:

I have a question the hack is over?  Or keep on developing because I plan to play it

Oh, sorry for the long wait, of course you can play it. In fact, any feedback would be received to enhance it

On 1/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, Renais said:

I'll definitely take a whack at it

Go for it 

Did you remove the Easy Mode option? I tried to activate it just to test things out before doing a real playthrough but it didn't work.

Edit: Nevermind, the emulator I had just wasn't working right.

Edited by Windy

10 hours ago, Cooligno1234 said:

Thanks I thought the hack was not complete

My fault there: I didn't exactly put it quite clearly in the initial post (will do now)

Speaking of this: I'm didnt put it on "complete" because I tried to learn how to edit portraits in order to improve them but other than that, it's playable.

Although, If you're willing to wait I'm actually playing once again and tweaking everything to balance stuff around (for example, since everyone just default to easy mode, I decided to just bump the exp gains to a middle ground and also completely change the bases of all classes so things like Luka destroying CH1 with an early promotion while being arguably better than Force since that 16 base strength as armor is just ludicrous )

Hace 5 horas, ronlyn dijo:

Mi culpa allí: no lo puse exactamente con claridad en la publicación inicial (lo haré ahora)

Hablando de esto: no lo puse en "completo" porque intenta aprender a editar retratos para mejorarlos, pero aparte de eso, es jugable.

Sin embargo, si estás dispuesto a esperar, en realidad estoy jugando una vez más y retocando todo para equilibrar las cosas (por ejemplo, dado que todos simplemente pasan al modo fácil, decidir subir las ganancias de la experiencia a un punto medio y también cambiar completamente Las bases de todas las clases para que cosas como Luka destruyan CH1 con una promoción temprana y sean posiblemente mejores que Fuerza y que esa fuerza de 16 bases como armadura es ridícula)

Ok i wait for the 2.0 meanwhile i start with Celica's Route/Chapter 2

OK EVERYONE, VERSION 2.0 IS OUT

Do take note however, that this is just Part I of the whole package since in order to fully ensure the whole game doesn't become a slugfest I need to balance CH4 and CH5 apart in order to upgrade exp gains and enemy bases

• 2 years later...

Real interesting stuff here! Gaiden is such a hard game to rebalance in part because the game plays much differently from the rest of the series; mobility is de-emphasized in favor of who performs best in combat. Growths are virtually meaningless as the entire game as balanced around each class' respective base stats. There's what, 3 weapon types you get to use, and even then you went through the trouble of trying to make them distinct.

But I have misgivings from just the overview- namely, that the entire game is balanced around Easy Mode. I get it, most, if not all players pick easy mode because Gaiden is otherwise excruciatingly tedious (I know I picked Easy for my first run), but I think it would have been better to increase enemy exp gains in Normal Mode so that Easy Mode remains optional, but not emphasized, not definitive. You may or may not have also forgotten that Easy Mode allows you to swap items between Alm and Celica's inventories between maps, thus making the few one use shopkeepers who offer to send an item to the other party superfluous. Though maybe the game was balanced around that and not the increased EXP yields and this entire paragraph has been for naught.

My second misgiving is just taking a glance at the unit base stats. You've lowered movement across the board, nerfing Dread Fighters to 6, and Gold Knights to an astonishing 7. The Villager has more movement than the entire soldier tree! Despite all of this, Falconknight, easily the most overpowered class on Celica Route, retains it's 10 move. That massive mobility gap is going to seriously hurt the variety of units in combat, I feel.

There's also just some more knit-picky gripes I have. Why on earth does Celica still have 4 move for the entire game? I know enemy and player classes are linked by bases, but I would gladly take 5 move zombies if it meant Celica wasn't always dragging behind the rest of the army. Same goes for the other 4 move classes. In my experience, 4 movement is never fun. Low mobility isn't something you can compensate for without the speed ring or warp.

That said, I'm still excited to experience this. I'll play on Easy Mode, as that was the hacker's intent, and comment on how the game feels in a later post.

Edit: Played up to Act 3. This hack wound up being better than I thought. I adore the changes made to growths; I consistently get meaningful stat increases and characters are the most diverse they've ever been. 10 DEF Boey is a sight to behold.

The bases listed in the spreadsheet seem to be off, as Celica is listed as having 4 move instead of 5 move, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Same goes for the Villager, which only has 4 move ingame. I never got to promoting a flier, so I don't know if that'll be an issue yet.

Unfortunately, my progress has been impeded by a game-ending softlock that occurs when Druids attempt to use Fortify. This was not an issue in the base game and I do not know why it is an issue here.

Fire Emblem Gaiden Mila's Retribution_021.png

Edited by Lord Louie
Info need tweaking