Controllers!

Ronnie

This thread is dedicated to one of the most important aspects in gaming: the controller!

So here's some questions to get this discussion started:
1. Favorite and least favorite controllers?
2. Do you prefer wireless or wired controllers?
3. Do you collect controller variations? Why or why not?

My favorite controller was the Gamecube's for the longest time but the PS4's DualShock 4 is my new favorite of all time. I'm not a fan of the Dreamcast controller with it's slippery analog stick and mushy d-pad. The 360 controller is pretty comfortable but the d-pad is shit. I'm happy sticking with my DualShock 3 or 4 for fighting games. I definitely prefer wireless controllers but I grew up on SNES and GCN so I don't mind wired when playing retro games. I love getting controllers in different colors other than standard black or white. I have red DualShock 3, DualShock 4, and N64 controllers to name a few. I also have the Smash Bros. Gamecube controller that came with Smash 4.

Edited by Ronnie

Personally, I prefer wired controllers (or wired anything really) because it gets me into that gaming vibe. PS1 controllers are slightly awkward for me, but still really good, and they're wired, so that's a bonus. I have a Gamecube controller for SSB4, but sadly my TV that I use to play the Wii U is slightly lagged behind (if that makes sense), so it's difficult to play. 

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

1. The DualShock series will always be a favorite. Once I got a Wii Classic Controller Pro, I never used the Wii Remote by itself again unless I had to. I've also grown fond of my red Super Mario-themed Wired Controller Plus for the Switch (even though it's pretty much a 360 controller). Least favorite would be a MadCatz Xbox controller I had. The standard Xbox controller S was more comfortable to me. I've also found the Joy Con grip to be an acquired taste. A single Joy Con isn't all that comfortable even in my small hands.
  2. Wired controllers so I don't have to worry about batteries. I like that the PS4 controller is essentially both. The one downside to the Switch Wired Controller Plus is that it can only be used while the Switch is docked since the Switch itself has no USB ports. But I always play it docked anyway, so...  :)
  3. Eh...not really. If I need controllers, I get whatever I can get. I happened to get the red wired Switch controller as a birthday gift a while back.

1. Favorite controller is the DS3, the DS4 coming up close. Least favorite is a tie between Wiimote and N64
2. I don't have a preference between wired and wireless, really.
3. Nope, don't get variations, I don't really see a need to. Granted, it's another story if I need to replace a controller, but even then...

Edited by Soledai

59 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

1: Favorite: GameCube it's pretty comfortable and has a good button selection

Least Favorite: The Wiimote, it's too small and awkward to try to use as an imitation of the original NES controller, and it doesn't have enough buttons.  Plus I'm not big on shoehorned motion controls

2: I can go for either, but I grew up with wired, and never had to worry about charging them or changing the batteries.  I do want the cord to be long enough, though.  I just got the SNES Classic, and the cord is only like 2 feet long.

3: I usually only get as many controllers as needed for the maximum number of multiplayers, 4 for most modern consoles, though the Wii had several different kinds, with the original Wiimotes, plus the nunchuck, and then the "proper" controllers.

1. The GameCube Controller and DualShock 4 tie for the spot of favorite. It's mostly for similar reasons; they're both comfy to hold and feel well built. The reason neither can beat the other comes down the D-Pad and Control Stick; GC Controller has an average D-Pad but an excellent Control Stick, while DS 4 has an average control stick, but an amazing D-Pad. As for controllers I don't like, the Original Xbox controller is awkward to hold and doesn't have a stellar layout and while I'll praise the D-Pad DS 4, I don't like the D-Pad of DS 1-3.

2. Wireless.

3. I'll get a special themed controller if I don't already own enough of it, but I doubt I'll buy an unnecessary controller unless I need it.

12 minutes ago, Chconroy said:

1. The GameCube Controller and DualShock 4 tie for the spot of favorite. It's mostly for similar reasons; they're both comfy to hold and feel well built. The reason neither can beat the other comes down the D-Pad and Control Stick; GC Controller has an average D-Pad but an excellent Control Stick, while DS 4 has an average control stick, but an amazing D-Pad. As for controllers I don't like, the Original Xbox controller is awkward to hold and doesn't have a stellar layout and while I'll praise the D-Pad DS 4, I don't like the D-Pad of DS 1-3.

Do any games for the Gamecube even use the D pad for anything important?

If we count controllers that are part of a console:

1. New 3DS is my favorite, but probably just for nostalgia. And I don't have a least favorite.

Not counting attached controllers:

1. Gamecube. As for my least favorite, I'd say the Xbox One. I don't own Xboxes, but they feel weird to me

2. Wired is pretty nice tbh, but wireless is a little more practical.

3. Yes, if I can afford to.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Fighting games like Bloody Roar, Soulcalibur II, and Capcom vs SNK 2. The little d-pad is just asking us to use an analog stick. Analog with fighting games is pretty awkward.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Fighting games like Bloody Roar, Soulcalibur II, and Capcom vs SNK 2. The little d-pad is just asking us to use an analog stick. Analog with fighting games is pretty awkward.

Ah, I think the only fighting game I've owned since the SNES days has been Smash games.

For me it has to be the GameCube controller as it's just perfect, and a close second would be the Xbox 360 if it didn't have that battery pack.

And as much shit MadCatz got near the end of their life they made some really good Japanese style fight sticks. I love my Marvel vs Capcom one.

I have an XBox 360 controller that runs on batteries which I use for my PC.  It's really annoying because if I so much as lightly set it on my leg, it could shut off because the battery pack is extremely finicky for no reason.  And it would seem that I'm not the only one who has a problem with the battery pack controllers.  Aside from that, it's a pretty good one.

I grew up mostly on Dualshocks, though.  From numero uno all the way to the third one, all of which were mostly the same.  I stopped just short of the latest one because I didn't have any interest in buying a PS4.  But I grew to like the Playstation controllers even when so many others I knew preferred the meatier XBox-line controllers.

As far as Nintendo goes, Gamecube or SNES had the best controllers.  N64 was awkward, motion control for Wii was obviously shit except for when it was official Nintendo games, and all the ones after that almost aren't even controllers.  Though props to them for making good handhelds.

And I would take a wireless controller over a wired one any day.  Wired ones were always such a pain for numerous reasons; limited range on some of them, they were a hazard, and they were significantly more tedious to store away.  This comes from a young lad who grew up with SNES, N64, Gamecube, and the first two Playstations.  Although I know the Gamecube had the Wavebird controllers, which is definitely one of the best ones out there.

On a side note, I remember with my old fat PS3 which was backwards compatible, I played a lot of DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3.  Anyone who's played that game on PS2 knows that beam/melee struggles require you to spin the analog stick really fast.  Well, I spun it so much and so fast that I had actually worn the rubber off of it.  You could still use it, although you're able to push slightly further in a direction than usual, which could sometimes lead to the inputs not being recognized.

Nowadays I have a small panic when I have to spin an analog stick.  Both because of that incident and because of the goddamn finicky battery pack on my PC controller.

favorite is ps4 or the wii u gamepad

least favorite is either the gamecube because of the dumb buttons that make no sense or the N64 for the horrible analog stick

I prefer wireless controllers

Edited by Nobody

1. Favourite: N64/GC/Wii U Gamepad.

2. I don't have any preference.

3. No.

53 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Analog with fighting games is pretty awkward.

I can use the analogue stick fine when playing Soul Calibur 2, so I don't see the problem.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

None that I own, which is why it's not a deal breaker for me when it comes to the controller, especially considering how finicky I am over D-Pads.

1. I like the Wii U Pro controller and the Xbox 360 controller. The worst is the Wii U gamepad, as the layout is ruined just by how big it is. The N64 isn't all that bad because that's the first console I owned.

2. I prefer wireless so that I don't have to be so close to the TV.

3. Unless it was a consequence of buying an additional controller, no.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

1. Favorite's probably the Xbone controller. I've always liked the Xbox controllers, and the Xbone is just the most comfortable, ergonomically. The rumbly triggers, the grips on the thumbsticks, the finally decent d-pad.

Least favorite would probably have to be the Wii Mote. I can't think of a controller that detracted from my enjoyment of 90% of the games I played. The constant waggling that games shoehorned in ruined SO many games. Second place would have to be the N64 controller.

Also, it's nowhere near my favorite, but I actually like the original Xbox Duke.

2. Wireless. Just more convenient, and they're good enough nowadays that latency isn't really an issue.

3. Nope. Waste of money for somebody who doesn't care about that stuff.

Edited by Slumber

On 2/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

1. Favourite: N64/GC/Wii U Gamepad.

2. I don't have any preference.

3. No.

I can use the analogue stick fine when playing Soul Calibur 2, so I don't see the problem.

You can get by with that game since combos are just one direction and a button. Trying to pull off a super combo in Bloody Roar with a double QCF motion on analog is a pain in the ass.

1. I have two favourite controllers the NES/NES Classic controllers,  it is easier than the modern day controllers in my opinion, also the Wii Remote, I like the Wii Remote having multiple accessories. My least favourite controller is the Atari 2600's controller, it is uncomfortable and hard to use.

2. I prefer wireless so there is no tangled wires with my console and TV wires.

3. I don't get variations of the same controller due to a tight budget

I'm kind of leaning toward the PS2 Dual Shock. Gamecube is close, but in my experience, I  think that their joysticks get sticky easier and have their heads break off easier, not to mention the general nuisance of the C-stick being a different size than the main one.  Least favorite... The Wii mote is bad when used by a game like Metroid Prime 3, but it works fine in a game like Boom Blox. Similarily the N64 trident, isn't too bad for most deveopers who wisely only used half of its buttons, but then you have stuff like Jet Force Gemini's 3rd person shooter controls,  which really exaggerate it's problems. I think I would have to say N64 is my least favorite overall, since it gets used as a weapon when you beat people at mario party.

Wireless. Especially for nintendo, who fluctuate between making cords that violate the 5 feet eye safety thing (SNES/N64) and cords that are cartoonishly long (GCN). Playstation/Xbox cords havdn't been really bad in my experience, but as someone who does couch co-op constantly, I know the danger of ... overexcited people pulling on their controllers hard enough to knock the entire console down. I'm actually a little thankful for the Wii and Wii U despite the problems they have elsewhere.

N64 - because it's the only way you can get them while actually supporting used game stores lol. Granted maybe I wouldn't break as many of them if I used amazon to get normal grey ones in good condition.

1.Favorite  Wii U Pro Controller and Xbox 360 controller both just felt so perfect

Least Fav  PS1 and PS2 I could never get used to them at all especially once Halo got me into habits for FPSs

2. Wireless

3.  Not really I'm more into the games and systems themselves though I suppose if I saw something cheap I would.