What's your preferred seasonal aesthetic?

Rafiel's Aria

What do you look for in seasonals?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you look for in seasonals?

• A literal interpretation of the theme (Ex. Spring, Christmas, and NY banners)
    • A vague interpretation of the theme (Ex. Love Abounds)
    • Interpretations of a plausible AU (Ex. Dancer Inigo)
    • A more modern aesthetic (Ex. School uniforms)
    • Fanservice (Ex. Bridal Blessings, Summer banners, Tharja's Christmas bikini)
    • Memes (Ex. Summer Leo)
    • Aesthetic doesn't matter; only skills
    • Aesthetic doesn't matter; just my favorite character
    • Aesthetic doesn't matter; other
    • Insert vague "other" option here

Well we did see the silhouette beforehand which featured Azura's headpiece on one character and her pendant on the other. Seeing that, my guess was four other royals each cosplaying as Azura. Like Sakura wearing her dress, Hinoka her pendant, Leo her stockings, and Xander wearing her headpiece ...and nothing else. We were experiencing peak Xander at the time after all.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Literal interpretation, fanservice and memes. I don’t care if its fanservice for guys or girls, I just find it funny to imagine them fighting like that xd

Also memes, I’d love a banner with things like Seasonal Wrys or Seasonal Bartre :D ... or Chrom attacking enemies with a rope, cause you know, bonds give you strength

I enjoy the seasonals a lot, to be fair.

I agree with some others - Dancer Inigo and Singing Shigure was the best moment for these. It fulfilled something I wanted to see in Fire Emblem since Awakening came out. That sort of priority is great to see.

I actually enjoy fanservice for the most part, too, as long as it suits. The beach banners were great, for both males and females. Winter Tharja went too far for me, though. It felt they were trying to hard and didn't suit the rest of the people in the banner - three nice, warm people and then one in what amounts to the tiniest bikini in the game so far. It was too jarring. I left fanservice unticked this time because of that.

I would like to see more modern clothing styles, too. I like the differences, honestly. Characters also matter - I want to see my favourites but I want to see a varied amount.

I do not want to see non-seasonal alts on the non-seasonal banners. Eirika ruined pretty much all my hopes of ever seeing many characters I really want in the game, since we've got alts happening so blatantly so soon in the main pool. That, along with the stupid all female brides banner and no news on a 3* pool change, have been the biggest disappointments in the game so far. That unit type (fast red tome cavalry) could have easily happened in a seasonal banner instead, or even been introduced as an oc with a legendary banner.

5 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I think that's fair enough. While I know I'd love to see Knoll or Ewan (or any other new character) in the game more than I'd like to see a copy of just about any other character currently in the roster (though if one of my boys got an alternate version, I'd probably scream), having Eirika in the game as a useful unit that fills a niche is nice. Though there will come a point where all the useful niches have been filled. Honestly, we're not missing many. We'd really just need non-seasonal armor and flying mages as well as colorless fliers and armors. I guess dagger cavalry as well? (Plz Yukimura)

I can't speak for everyone who voted, but I can speak for myself, so I suppose there's that. Whether or not others agree, IDK. As far as a vague interpretation goes, I prefer it because to me, it's more creative. You've already kind of hinted that you disagree there, but to me when someone says "love" or "Valentine"s Day," the obvious things are chocolate, hearts, roses, pink, red, etc. None of those things are bad, and people that use those elements to design a themed "something or other" aren't wrong to interpret it that way. As I said, there's not really an incorrect way to interpret love. Tim Burton's movies, Shakespeare's plays, and the Beatles' music all toy with themes of love in vastly different ways, and none of them are wrong. 

But I think it takes a really creative mind to go above and beyond to interpret a theme in a way that's not quite so mainstream. I also like vague themes because they're more open to interpretation. For me, a guy dressed like cupid...is a guy dressed like cupid. I'm sure people could write a 50 page thesis about that significance, but the common man probably can't. I like being given a little something to think about that I can also enjoy. You could probably ask 10 different people how they believe the costumes in Love Abounds relate to "love" and you might get 10 different answers, and that, in my opinion, makes the FEH world just a little bit deeper. I thoroughly enjoyed this new paralogue because it honestly felt like something that could happen in the FEH universe and was very touching. 

However, if you want a more simple answer to your question, people just have different taste. I personally think it's interesting to see what people think and why.

Yeah, but if you're going to go with a theme and then barely follow it, what was the point? That's what I'm asking.

There's not an incorrect way to interpret love itself, no, but with Valentine's Day specifically, it's romantic love with hearts and pink, red, white, and maybe some purple colors. Pink and red are the most common colors here. And of course, chocolates and roses like you said. Valentine's Day is about romantic love, but something with love is not necessarily Valentine's Day related. Would you call The Lion King a Valentine's Day themed movie? I wouldn't. Shakespeare and Tim Burton are Shakespeare and Tim Burton, not Valentine's Day unless they made something geared specifically toward that holiday with the things that go with it.

People have different tastes, sure. And that's fine. But it doesn't make sense to pick a theme and then barely do anything with it. And that's what I feel the Love Abounds banner did.

4 hours ago, Lau said:

I like the vague interpretations, like the Love Abounds banner. It's not explicitly romantic, it's a mixture of all forms of love. I'm so glad they're not dressed in neon pink and red and covered in hearts, they'd have looked a mess.

I also stand by the firm belief that Dancer Inigo is one of IS' best moves, and I'd love to see more AU versions of characters. Now where's Dark Emperor Marth, IS?

Not necessarily. They could've looked super cute. Don't judge until you actually see for yourself.

I do think dancer Inigo was a good idea though. I just wish those units were in the normal summoning pool instead of treated like seasonals since they didn't really follow a specific season or holiday.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but if you're going to go with a theme and then barely follow it, what was the point? That's what I'm asking.

There's not an incorrect way to interpret love itself, no, but with Valentine's Day specifically, it's romantic love with hearts and pink, red, white, and maybe some purple colors. Pink and red are the most common colors here. And of course, chocolates and roses like you said. Valentine's Day is about romantic love, but something with love is not necessarily Valentine's Day related. Would you call The Lion King a Valentine's Day themed movie? I wouldn't. Shakespeare and Tim Burton are Shakespeare and Tim Burton, not Valentine's Day unless they made something geared specifically toward that holiday with the things that go with it.

People have different tastes, sure. And that's fine. But it doesn't make sense to pick a theme and then barely do anything with it. And that's what I feel the Love Abounds banner did.

So I completely understand your argument, but at the same time, I’m pretty sure the theme isn’t “Valentine’s Day.” People call it that because it’s a banner about love that coincides with the holiday, but IS never said “this is a Valentine’s banner.” It’s just like how the Christmas banner was a “winter” banner and the Easter banner a “spring” banner. This is a “love” banner. So in the real world, Valentine’s Day is all about hearts and junk, but in FEH it’s a traditional gift giving holiday with a tournament and different type of costume.

So you could say that they failed to follow through if IS specifically promised a Valentine’s banner, but they didn’t. So as far as “love” goes, what was explicitly stated, I’d say they did fine. As far as Valentine’s Day, what one may infer, it’s not the best aesthetic.

And I’ll have you know I watch Disney movies on Valentine’s Day. ;P Just like I watch Die Hard, the best Christmas movie, during the holidays.

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And I'm seriously shocked at how many people are voting the "vague theme" option. How is that better? Why wouldn't people want the chosen theme to be more obviously followed? And we only had ONE banner that was vague so far. Doesn't mean others will look nice.

"People don't share my opinion and that perplexes me," is all I'm getting out of this. It's not a shocker because a situation like this means the fan service isn't so disgustingly blatant. See summer and bunnies for example.

10 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

So I completely understand your argument, but at the same time, I’m pretty sure the theme isn’t “Valentine’s Day.” People call it that because it’s a banner about love that coincides with the holiday, but IS never said “this is a Valentine’s banner.” It’s just like how the Christmas banner was a “winter” banner and the Easter banner a “spring” banner. This is a “love” banner. So in the real world, Valentine’s Day is all about hearts and junk, but in FEH it’s a traditional gift giving holiday with a tournament and different type of costume.

So you could say that they failed to follow through if IS specifically promised a Valentine’s banner, but they didn’t. So as far as “love” goes, what was explicitly stated, I’d say they did fine. As far as Valentine’s Day, what one may infer, it’s not the best aesthetic.

And I’ll have you know I watch Disney movies on Valentine’s Day. ;P Just like I watch Die Hard, the best Christmas movie, during the holidays.

They didn't, no. But naturally, one would expect Valentine's Day banners. Like how people expected all Hoshido characters to be on the NY banner and then we got freaking Camilla again. :/

I get your argument here too, but I'm just saying.

And sure, but you wouldn't actually call those Valentine's Day movies, would you?

7 minutes ago, Lau said:

@Anacybele I personally don't like hearts on clothing, unless it's just a tiny one at the top or a large one in the corner near the bottom. Besides, Valentines Day doesn't really have specific types of clothing.

You don't like hearts, okay. That's fine. But for the clothing thing, tell that to all the pink and red and heart-themed shirts and skirts I see at Walmart and stuff. Though they ARE mostly for little girls. Besides, they've also got a ton of St. Patrick's Day clothing too, mostly for adults, but I don't expect a banner with that. lol So if people can come up with creative ideas for THAT holiday, you can come up with something nice for Valentine's Day.

5 minutes ago, NoNameAtAll said:

"People don't share my opinion and that perplexes me," is all I'm getting out of this. It's not a shocker because a situation like this means the fan service isn't so disgustingly blatant. See summer and bunnies for example.

Well, that is not what I meant at all. So please don't keep saying it does. I'm just surprised people would prefer the theme be so vague and barely used. Also, the only fanservicey bunny is Camilla imo, and that's because Camilla is never NOT fanservice, honestly. As for the summer units, what else did you expect them to be in? It was summer, and swimming is a very common summer activity.

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele There you go, you just said they were mostly for little girls. I'd expect characters like Maria or even Lilina at a push to wear that, but not two grown men, a grown woman and a teenage boy (though if Roy wants to wear pink with hearts then go for it son).

Honestly, I think what we have captures the "love" in a way. This is mainly the presence of presents and flowers, which are gifts for others. You give gifts to the ones you love. As for the outfits themselves, the colour of Lilina's dress is a deep red, which fits in with the theme, for example.

7 minutes ago, Lau said:

@Anacybele There you go, you just said they were mostly for little girls. I'd expect characters like Maria or even Lilina at a push to wear that, but not two grown men, a grown woman and a teenage boy (though if Roy wants to wear pink with hearts then go for it son).

Duh, of course I wouldn't have the guys wear skirts and stuff. But you DO realize we already saw Xander in pink at Easter, don't you? And that this series actually has a male character who dresses like a woman? (Forrest) There's no reason why we couldn't have another guy in pink for this banner. He could've had a pink suit with a heart/rose pin. Or a red suit. Doesn't even have to be pink! But there's nothing wrong with a guy wearing pink!

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele on the vague vs literal thing, the reason I prefer vague personally is that I've played enough Japanese mobile gacha games with seasonal banners that I'm already rather tired of the literal ones, especially for the more typical events. There's only so many swimsuits/santa outfits/halloween costumes/etc. I can take without going "I've seen this, give me something else". This is with a few entirely biased exceptions though.
But I doubt a lot of people share this particular "problem" with me.

Also something worth noting, in my opinion, is that in Japan Valentine's is all about chocolate so I'm not surprised if IS isn't entirely aware what people in the West associate with it.

Edited by Sylphid

8 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

@Anacybele on the vague vs literal thing, the reason I prefer vague personally is that I've played enough Japanese mobile gacha games with seasonal banners that I'm already rather tired of the literal ones, especially for the more typical events. There's only so many swimsuits/santa outfits/halloween costumes/etc. I can take without going "I've seen this, give me something else". This is with a few entirely biased exceptions though.
But I doubt a lot of people share this particular "problem" with me.

Also something worth noting, in my opinion, is that in Japan Valentine's is all about chocolate so I'm not surprised if IS isn't entirely aware what people in the West associate with it.

Okay, that's fair, I suppose.

As for chocolate, we didn't see chocolate in this banner though. Just wrapped gifts that we're not told anything about. Never said if they're chocolates or not. But if Japan doesn't do hearts and stuff, okay then. I hadn't known.

Edited by Anacybele

24 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Duh, of course I wouldn't have the guys wear skirts and stuff. But you DO realize we already saw Xander in pink at Easter, don't you? And that this series actually has a male character who dresses like a woman? (Forrest) There's no reason why we couldn't have another guy in pink for this banner. He could've had a pink suit with a heart/rose pin. Or a red suit. Doesn't even have to be pink! But there's nothing wrong with a guy wearing pink!

For goodness sake, chill your beans. There is no way I am against men wearing pink, when did I say that? Don't put words into my mouth, Ana.

19 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Gotta say, having one of the guys dressed like Danny Zuko at the dance in Grease would be fab.

Oh god could you imagine? It would have been amazing.

A few things I'd like to see in seasonals are:

-A full banner of guys dressed one as a groom, other 2 propertly dressed as assistant to a weeding and a fourth one made completely a mess representing the after party situation (you know, the shirt half opened, the tie opened or put in the head...) to acompany the brides one.

-A banner based on Oktoberfest. Just imagine those girls with the bavarian dress and the beer. Also, guys would like quite funny.

Now that I think, I could try to paint those things when I have enough time...inspiration has finally come!

I voted for memes and other, because part of the reason I like the Valentine banner so much is the formal fashioned outfits.  Formalwear is the best, even modern formalwear is still cool.

So yeah, more dresses/suits please.

Memes because memes.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

There’s something beautiful a theme being vaugue. Themes doesn’t need to scream what they are about, otherwise they will lose their uniqueness fast, but something more simple and subdued like the Valentines will make a longer and more powerful impression because it make it obvious. It makes the theme far more enjoyable for everyone.

51 minutes ago, Lau said:

For goodness sake, chill your beans. There is no way I am against men wearing pink, when did I say that? Don't put words into my mouth, Ana.

Okay, sorry. From what I gathered in your post, you were saying men shouldn't wear pink. Again, sorry.

25 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

There’s something beautiful a theme being vaugue. Themes doesn’t need to scream what they are about, otherwise they will lose their uniqueness fast, but something more simple and subdued like the Valentines will make a longer and more powerful impression because it make it obvious. It makes the theme far more enjoyable for everyone.

Can you not speak for everyone? Because it wasn't enjoyable for me and still isn't. Some people enjoy it, some don't.

Edited by Anacybele

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, that's fair, I suppose.

As for chocolate, we didn't see chocolate in this banner though. Just wrapped gifts that we're not told anything about. Never said if they're chocolates or not. But if Japan doesn't do hearts and stuff, okay then. I hadn't known.

To be honest, I didn't think those gifts could be anything but chocolate, considering the timing. See what anime has done to me.

They also make references to sweets in their lines don't they? So yeah those gifts have a fair chance of being chocolates. Particularly since only the girls have them. If memory serves that is how it works right, the girls give chocolates and then there is a day later where the sentiments are returned? White Day? Ok, my understanding of Japan's Valentine type traditions is probably ore than a little vague.

Anyways on topic I am pretty much up for anything. I just didn't check fanservice. I like the bridal units for the most part and even the summer theme units for the most part. But random Christmas Bikini was kind of a no-no for me. Tharja would have looked quite nice in one of those goofy and awkward Christmas Sweaters to go along with her antlers and cape. A short skirt and her stockings for some Zettai ryōiki and I think you would have had a much better unit appearance wise, it would have furthered the juxtaposition with her normal personality. So I blame fan service for that end result and don't want anymore of those missed opportunities.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, sorry. From what I gathered in your post, you were saying men shouldn't wear pink. Again, sorry.

Can you not speak for everyone? Because it wasn't enjoyable for me and still isn't. Some people enjoy it, some don't.

No, no, I was too harsh, sorry.

Could I be cheeky and ask for an Archanean themed White Day banner? That'd be a sure way to get my money, IS.

I voted for the PA and LA banners as my favorites.  As someone that likes to read about saints for fun sometimes I found the LA banner closer to the story of St. Valentine then the way it is marketed in the west.  PA banner was cool because I always want male refreshers and I am hoping for a second one with Nils and Elffin.

I voted for everything but fanservice and the aesthetic doesn't matter choices but I have to clarify that I loved the bridal blessings units (Lyn was the only one that felt iffy even if she looked good but the other 3 were lovely) while I'm not too hot on Christmas Tharja bikini. 

For me anything goes when it comes to seasonals, want to make them classy or extremely skimpy? I'm fine with both as long as the art is nice and it isn't something that clashes with the character's personality (hence why I don't care about H!Nowi's outfit but Tharja's bikini bugs me).

What I wish is that IS would stop making them have exclusive classes, flying mages, mage armors, bow armors, etc. They should include these classes on permanent units instead of making them limited, they already made Eirikalter so there's nothing stopping them from making more alter characters that use those classes I don't care one bit if it isn't canon, diversity is better.

This may sound strange but I always figured the Valentine’s Day seasonal would be Ancient Rome themed. Niles with a toga filling in for Cupid and maybe Marth showing off those old gladiators of his. I was definitely fixated on Cupid being from Roman mythology but I think a theme like that would’ve been neat.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Gotta say, having one of the guys dressed like Danny Zuko at the dance in Grease would be fab.

G̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶?̶