Shadows of Valentia Comic Anthology 4Koma Translations (COMPLETE)

Current Status: COMPLETE (Pg 16 of 16) (Feb 28th)

This mini project is complete! It was only a 16 day one, but it was still fun as usual, and thank you all for reading.

You can download them in bulk here. Password is: kantopia

The imgur gallery is up too and public.

If you share somewhere, please try to link back to the main blog post! Thanks!

See you next project!

---

<Original Post>

Hello!

Remember me? (xD)

So it turns out the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Comic Anthology contains some 4koma (four panel) comics in it! (Had I known that I would've purchased it sooner for you all!)

And for those who do remember me, you all know how much I love doing FE 4koma translations! I searched the forums and didn't spot any post about someone already translating/posting these here, but please feel free to lock/delete this thread if someone already did.

There's only 16 pages, so a shorter project than last time. I will try to update it daily if I can.

Please link back to the main blog post if you share! Feel free to leave a donation if you want! But people's enjoyment is really all I want. : )

Quick Notes:

• Comics are read top to bottom in columns. Right column is first. Within each column, text flows from right to left.
  • Officially localized names will be used, but if you see me slip up and use an original Japanese name (as I’m so used to them), please let me know. : )
  • Please note I never played the English version of the game, so some characters may sound inconsistent if you are used to the localization.
  • The comics will likely contain spoilers.

-----------------------

Page 1: "My Masked Brother"

kWEbpex.png

Page 2: "My Masked Brother" Parts 2 & 3

CqI0BY2.png

Page 3: "Villagers" and "Gray is Just That Kinda Guy"

1DpVgvn.png

Page 4: "Faye" and "Alm and Faye"

WKXomkm.png

Page 5: "Dear Diary..."

Kci3ahH.png

Page 6: "Novelization" & "Brand...ish"

36bl41C.png

Page 7: "The Grapevine" and "The Tragedy"

ccZWE5F.png

Page 8: "Alm's Mannerisms" and "Sacred Springs"

dEkNovC.png

Page 9 (Chapter 2): "Quality of Character"

xopX8QL.png

Page 10: "First Time Feelings" and "Lost at the Temple of Mila"

tShfymR.png

Page 11: "Older, Older!" and "An Adult Approach"

B9p27wK.png

Page 12: "Expectations" and "Are You Going to Drink That?"

jMFFqIQ.png

Page 13: "A Promising Candidate" and "Misunderstood Little Sister"

RHUytt3.png

Page 14: "Whatever" and "Now is the Time"

RyclOt4.png

Page 15: "Two Sagas" and "Testing Patience"

uG0dEyI.png

Page 16: "Counter Plan" and "It's Different"

rhW0wH2.png

Enjoy!

Edited by Kirokan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EEEEEYYYYY, been forever, Kirokan, glad to see you're still alive, and working on another fabulous set of translations to boot! Truly, a kind favor for us all. Anyways, looking forward to seeing these, and thanks again for the translations!

Page 2 is up! It continues from yesterday's silliness with Conrad. Parts 2 and 3! (There is no part 4, so 3 is the last)

16 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

EEEEEYYYYY, been forever, Kirokan, glad to see you're still alive, and working on another fabulous set of translations to boot! Truly, a kind favor for us all. Anyways, looking forward to seeing these, and thanks again for the translations!

Hi there! Yes, I'm still around but just don't post as often. Still doing translations in the background though! It's nice to feel welcome, and you're most welcome!

16 hours ago, Sock said:

Didn't know there was one of these for Echoes. I'm excited!

I didn't know either until I finally ordered the book a few days ago just to add to the collection. Then just found them when skimming through xD

9 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

Thank you so much for translating these! Huh, I'm not sure what to think about the first one. Conrad has always been an odd character to me. He's cute, but his personality changing is so odd. Ah well, I look forward to more.

He was an oddball, but I love him! Thanks for being on board!

18 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Conrad is already both cool and friendly, Celica! Don't hate on him! xD

He's the best xD

Page 3 is up! We move away from Celica for fun with (a very innocent) Claire, Gray, and Alm.

23 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Lol! 

Honestly I didn't see much personality changing that I remember?

It's definitely a super exaggeration for the sake of humor. xD But in Japanese there is just a difference in formal vs casual speak that they're really playing up here.

17 hours ago, Res said:

Woohoo!!! Thank you so much for doing these again! I have the anthology and have been longing to know what it says 

Happy to help!

4 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Thanks for translating these for us again Kikoran. Seeing as I loved the 4koma comics for Awakening and Fates, I`m really looking forward to what hillarius sillyness this one brings.

You're welcome! Glad to have you on board once again!

LOL no Claire you're thinking of tribal people. These are farmers. The correct stereotype is people who wear straw hats and overalls and go "howdy y'all" and possibly breed with their cousins. xD And...wow, Gray, really? He's going to fail epicly at that Tarzan impersonation for sure. It'd be more like George of the Jungle. Watch out for that tree! *splat*

Keep it up Kirokan!

Edited by Dragoncat

Page 4 is up! It was only a matter of time before Faye got hit by the jokes (and it will continue looking ahead to Page 5 which will be up tomorrow!)

21 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

LOL no Claire you're thinking of tribal people. These are farmers. The correct stereotype is people who wear straw hats and overalls and go "howdy y'all" and possibly breed with their cousins. xD And...wow, Gray, really? He's going to fail epicly at that Tarzan impersonation for sure. It'd be more like George of the Jungle. Watch out for that tree! *splat*

Keep it up Kirokan!

Clair was so innocent here I would've felt terrible if Alm crushed her little world. xD Glad the Tarzan impersonation (and George of the Jungle) came through in the text though! It's surprisingly hard to write out that yell!

10 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

Omg Gray XD

He is trying so hard to get Claire to notice him haha

She certainly did notice him as a result! Well, noticed her head-canon villager, rather than Gray himself, maybe. xD

These are some pretty fun reads. I was originally confused by the format. I know it's read left to right but i didn't realize that they were technically two separate columns.

Page 1 and 2 thoughts: Poor Conrard, getting his personalities all mixed up with the different variations of the masks. 

Page 3 thoughts: I never thought i'd see Tarzan Gray but here we are.

Page 4 thoughts: I'm guessing Faye is way more passive aggressive compared to her localized version. As one of the 10 people who likes Faye though, i found this one pretty amusing. 

Looking forward to the next one.

Page 5 is up! This time eight panels are dedicated to the same story (read top right to bottom right, then top left to bottom left).

Creepy Faye continues! Poor Silque xD

On 2/16/2018 at 9:17 PM, Dragoncat said:

Faye's canon class is a pegasus knight then? Who knew? xD

It seems to be for this comic! But not sure if it really confirms it for the games. xD

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

These are some pretty fun reads. I was originally confused by the format. I know it's read left to right but i didn't realize that they were technically two separate columns.

Page 1 and 2 thoughts: Poor Conrard, getting his personalities all mixed up with the different variations of the masks. 

Page 3 thoughts: I never thought i'd see Tarzan Gray but here we are.

Page 4 thoughts: I'm guessing Faye is way more passive aggressive compared to her localized version. As one of the 10 people who likes Faye though, i found this one pretty amusing. 

Looking forward to the next one.

I edited the format note so it makes more sense, but I'm glad you figured it out fine! : )

Page 6 is up! Fun with Genny making fan-servicey novels and Gray reaching silly conclusions. xD

A note on the "Brand...ish" comic if you're interested, since the original joke revolved around the Japanese language specifically, I had to change it up to make sense in English. For details see spoiler tag below. (Also realized I made a typo on the title for "Novelization," I`ll fix that later for the final download...)

The “Brand…ish” was an intense exercise in localization. If that comic feels a little forced, that is my fault. The original joke was based in Japanese. To understand it, the “daikon radish” is a Japanese radish (it appeared in Fates as ‘Daikon Radish,’ but not in this game, so I avoided using the word ‘daikon.’) The joke revolved around the fact Zeke could only remember that the person who would save Valentia had a “something kon.” In Japanese, the word they use for brand also contains “-kon.” He just couldn’t remember the first part of it. So Gray thinks on it and realizes he holds a daikon in his hands, and that he is the one. With this in mind, I had to think of a word that would lead from Brand to Radish. I decided the word “brandish” would be a nice way to get there, as Zeke’s memory being hazy could easily make him doubt whether it was brand, brandish (a word that heroes are often associated with too), and other words close to those. This leads to it perhaps being a rhyme or a word close to brandish, and so good old Gray gets to Radish! (It goes to show just how much thinking even a simple four panel comic can take…!) I'm sure there are better ways I could have gone about it, but I had to keep the deadline in mind too. Let me know if you all have more fun ways to go about it!

Edited by Kirokan

Now this one is hilarious xD Don't worry, the "radish" thing works.

Maybe if Zeke was naked Tatiana would have fallen for him right away/much earlier

And the previous ones that I neglected to comment on yesterday: Omg Faye. Lay off Celica's man. I always felt bad for her, but yet she persists...

Edited by Dragoncat