General Mario Kart series thread

John Denver Fan

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart game.

Mario Kart 64 aged like ass. Double Dash controls like a slippery bathtub on wheels. I still like Double Dash though.

I forgot to mention the handheld ones. Mario Kart DS is really fun and Mario Kart 7 is the best handheld MK game.

Edited by Ronnie

Is it just me but whenever I play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even after a long hiatus I always get first place? Then usually top 5 every time but always the first match online I get 1st 95% of the time. Anyways ds is an old classic for me since I remember spending so much time playing that with friends. 7 was a nice game and fun but the online was meh. 8 deluxe is by far the best one I've played.

I skipped, like... *counts in head* the third, fifth, and seventh games; incidentally all the ones that were on handhelds.  Have yet to buy the Deluxe version of 8 as well.

My favorite is still Double Dash, if only because I've scarcely played MK8 with friends.  Wii was actually good as well; one of the few Wii games with good motion controls.  But there's just something about having someone else operating the cart with you... it feels like more of a team effort than standard team racing/battle.  I'd like it if they brought that back, even if it was an alternate mode instead.

MK SNES and 64 are definitely aged, but they'll hold a place in my nostalgia.  I'll always remember Rainbow Road on the 64 with that classic midi track and the huge shortcut that shoots you, like, halfway across the map.  It's funny that 64's Rainbow Road was the safest, most tame version of the course, with the most dangerous obstacle being that one chain chomp that races down the opposite way.

I've played a lot of Double Dash as a kid, a smattering of Super Circuit, a few drops of 64, vague memories of Super Mario Kart, plenty of DS, some good times with Wii, and a ton of fun with 8. I completely missed out on 7 since I never bought it, and think that even if I could buy it now for cheap, it'd wear out my 3DS's controls. I'm curious about some of 7's courses though, like the one lap Galaxy inspired Rainbow Road and the Wii Sports Resort levels.

I will say that I'm surprised I, despite a lack of power slide/mini turbo skills as a kid, managed to go as far as to unlock Petey Piranha and King Boo. I recall Wario Colosseum tripping me up and keeping me from doing anything else (that and All Cup Tour is excessively long- if a kinda interesting idea).

Which reminds me, why hasn't Wario Colosseum made any Retro appearances? It was interesting if tricky. Which ones from DD haven't been Retroized yet besides this one?

I did love MK8's DLC, the deal was good and the courses were so cool. Possibly Baby Park and Ice Ice Outpost aside (why not call it Fahr Outpost?), I felt they were all strong, or at least strong enough to justify them as more than just a cheap reference to another Nintendo IP (when they were a reference).

I'd actually take a Tour of the Wi- *red laser appears* aw crap I've been locked on to! Must accelerat- *boom*! (Remember, Stars are made of Evil's Bane, in case you're so lucky as to have one when you're passing by a Guardian.) And while we're at it, I want New Donk City for the next MK's city themed racetrack, Mt. Volbono for a lava course with less of the typical red and darkness, and a Sengoku Bowsara Castle. On the playable side, well Cappy could work, but I'd rather Ninty start including Pauline in places as the SMO rep as they did with Rosalina.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's funny that 64's Rainbow Road was the safest, most tame version of the course, with the most dangerous obstacle being that one chain chomp that races down the opposite way.

On the topic of Rainbow Roads, I think you argue, besides the glaring issue of the 64 shortcut (and being too long, but, perhaps owing to the 64's technical limitations, 64 tracks overall seem too long), that DS has the worst RR gameplay-wise (thematically that goes to 8). RR DS's loop de loops are cool, but the track is just too safe, too many rails when RR is supposed to be about the easiness of falling off.

Anyone have any course favorites? Or favorite music pieces?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

They should bring back Missions from Mario Kart DS.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Anyone have any course favorites?

Bowser's Castle in 8 is the best Bowser's Castle in the series and Rainbow Road in 7 is the best Rainbow Road in the series. Neo Bowser City is also one of my favorites because when ever i'm losing against my friends, i always pick Neo Bowser City. My friends have yet to beat me in that track. Fun fact, i actually had the world record in Maka Wuhu because of the shortcut glitch see folks, cheating can get you success in life. I doubt i still hold it but it was fun seeing my score at the top of the chart for that course.

Mario Kart is one of the best multiplayer games period. It's easy to pick up and play for players of all skill levels and simply put a just blast to play. Until you get hit with the blue shell at the final stretch and lose your 3 star gold trophy. I personally think Mario Kart 8 is the best in the series(aside from battle mode), but I don't have the deluxe edition since I don't own a switch. I hear it's very good though.

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the playable side, well Cappy could work, but I'd rather Ninty start including Pauline in places as the SMO rep as they did with Rosalina.

What a time to be alive when a friggin' hat is now in the running to possibly be a legitimate MK racer.  And not just any hat; Mario's hat.  I mean, hats'-rights activists would argue that Cappy is his own hat, but let's be real here, you wear him for all of SMO.

Pauline would be a heck of a double-whammy rep character.  She'd be both modern representation and classic representation.  I could definitely see them doing that for her.

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Anyone have any course favorites? Or favorite music pieces?

I actually tend to like Wario and Waluigi's courses a lot.  Sometimes they're like dirt bike tracks, and other times they're just huge Hot Wheels race tracks, and I just find that a lot of fun.  Some of the more recent Bowser's Castle courses have been fun as well.

As for music, I seem to always like the Rainbow Road tracks.  They sound like the happy, thrilling end to a journey... though I can't say I'm always happy or thrilled to run those stages.  There are probably various others that I'm forgetting, because by no means are the RR tracks the only good music in the series.

I played in the order N64>GCN>GBA>DS>Wii>SNES>WiiU

There are a couple things about N64 and GCN that I really miss, namely that the physics on Green Shells and Bannas felt a lot better. In the newer games when you throw bannanas forward, they go excessively far, while back then, you could legitmately sweet spot people with the forward throw. 

My brother tells me that Mario Kart 8 and Super Sprint (the GBA one) are the two best games in the series. I'm not sure, but I do like that the excessive need to do wheelies from Mario Kart Wii is gone. I mostly hesitate on MK8 because of the anti-grav sections, specifically the speed boost bumper things and the way bumping other people gives mutual boosts. I always feel like I lose momentum on both of those. Also I get that stuff like the boomerang is supposed to free us from the first place "always hold shell behind you as shield at all times" but I still consider it one of the most obnoxious items. 

I think coursewise and mechanic wise my favorite is actually DS (to my knowledge that's the only one where dropping out of first place temporarily will let you dodge the blue shell due to it picking a new target mid flight # brakestrats). Double Dash is still my favorite multiplayer wise, just cause I had more people around then.

No love for rival kart series like Diddy Kong Racing, Crash team Racing, looney tunes space race, and  Sonic All stars transformed