How Long Does IS Plan Things in Advance?

I'm curious whether or not the Feb 22 New Heroes Banner is going to factor in CYL2 results regarding who it is bringing, and this just has me wondering.

How long does it take IS to make and then upload new Banners (and other forms of expectable new content)?

They have to:

• Decide on what characters to add. 
  • Find artists willing to draw the characters and then have them draw them several times each.
  • Have spriters make totally new sprites out of the ether (or should I say quintessence?) for everyone.
  • Get VAs to voice them. 
  • Have the lone writer pencil in a plot scenario. 
  • Come up with each character's stats, weapon and other skills, including potentially some totally brand new ones.
  • Make a map for the related story chapter, TT, and or GHB (the first and last also need fixed units, their placement, stats and skills decided on).

Another question is have they got everything worked out as soon as they announce the new Banner, or are they still assembling someone's body, recording quips and putting polish on the final draft of the art at that moment? It stands contrary to reason they would have absolutely nothing done.

I overheard that the first year's Seasonals and at least some of the GHBs were probably planned out, but was every Banner, GHB, and TT planned all the way back February? I don't think they could have planned some metagame fixers in advance, and Farfetched and CYL obviously weren't.

Given this, I'd be inclined to say Feb 22nd and probably March 9th aren't going to be CYL2 influenced. Now I'm going to assume the unmentioned March 21st Banner that replaces the expiring March 9th one is Seasonal, which sounds logical since it'd be two normies since the last Seasonal, and Easter is April 1 (so it falls on April Fools Day this year- the perfect metaphor for Christ's death and resurrection). Therefore, it will not be until mid-April at the earliest that we actually see the proof of popularity/desirability shown to IS in CYL2, become a delicious pull pudding.

I'm no expert but i think it's reasonable to see that they plan things out two to four months in advance. Having to draw four different pieces of art for each character is probably the most time consuming part and is probably the last thing they finish. Stuff like voice acting and deciding the stats could probably be finalized before the artwork is finished.

I think it varies. I feel like we've received a lot more content recently when compared to November, for example. I also believe they've got a banner or two ready at all times just in case; it wouldn't surprise me if some of the more popular characters are already finished and waiting for their turn. Leif would be one such example.

17 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I think all of last year’s seasonsal, even the Christmas ones, were already decided since February. There’s even proof of that, which Christmas Robin and Tharja.

Christmas Robin and Tharja turn your logic on its head. Heroes was planned to come out before Christmas 2016, but got delayed until February 2017. Christmas Robin and Tharja were among the first seasonal units to be decided on.

Logically new characters should be planned a few months in advance so they have enough time to do the artwork and voice acting (I've heard somebody on Reddit say that Todd Haberkorn said that he did work for FE around last August, and the characters he voiced were added in November and December). The CYL characters last year took longer than expected because the developers were surprised by the results (namely by Lyn winning):

Shingo Matsushita: We did not expect Lyn to get first place. We knew that Lucina was very popular, but we never expected Lucina to lose to Lyn. One other thing we noticed is that characters from the Game Boy Advance era tended to be popular, and that was a little unexpected. Also, because the final results were a little unexpected, it also meant that development for the Choose Your Legends characters took a bit more time than expected.

Veronica winning likely threw another wrench in IS's plans so I expect to get the new CYL characters around September again.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Christmas Robin and Tharja turn your logic on its head. Heroes was planned to come out before Christmas 2016, but got delayed until February 2017. Christmas Robin and Tharja were among the first seasonal units to be decided on.

Wait, really? Guess I was wrong then. I wonder if they were Armored units then.

23 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The CYL characters last year took longer than expected because the developers were surprised by the results (namely by Lyn winning):

Veronica winning likely threw another wrench in IS's plans so I expect to get the new CYL characters around September again.

That explains a lot actually. Especially considering Warriors’s choice of characters and the Seasonal units. I wonder if they already had Brave versions of characters that they expected to win.

Edited by Water Mage

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Wait, really? Guess I was wrong then. I wonder if they were Armored units then.

I really doubt they were armoured. They look nothing like that, and the meta shifted tremendously over the year.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

That explains a lot actually. Especially considering Warriors’s choice of characters and the Seasonal units. I wonder if they already had Brave versions of characters that they expected to win.

They likely had the Ideas already thought out, which would have made getting the sprites and art way easier, they probably expected chrom and camilla this last one so now they have to figure out what to do for ephraim and veronica, I'd even say that hector isn't all that cut and dry either but his victory was very predictable so they may have been thinking for a while about that one, though celica was a real surprise but they may have some idea for that one (beloved zophia will probably be involved). 

and then there is marth, I imagine they have figured out what to do with him (or maybe not because he is not cute enough for alts) I wager they expected either marth or chrom to win or even both so I imagine they had put a good amount of thought into brave variants.

7 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I really doubt they were armoured. They look nothing like that, and the meta shifted tremendously over the year.

Lissa can pass off as an armored unit but that’s about it. I wonder what skills they would have had if Heroes actually released on time. And if winter was the first one made is it possible that the New Years was the second one?