Good RPGs about pirates/boats?

Dismissed

Does anyone know of great RPGs (mobile or otherwise) involving boats or pirates? I've had a craving for a fantasy sea adventure since last year, going so far as to make a Fire Emblem fanfiction story based on the concept.

So far, I've tried "Choice of the Pirate" and "High Sea Saga". The first one is a great CYOA story while the latter was a simulation game a bit too time-consuming for my tastes. Any suggestions? It has to involve magic in some form or another too. I like being a mage.

In the JRPG realm, there's nothing really super pirate-y, but there are a few pirate themed ones... Actually, now that I think about it, there's not a single one I can think of about actual sea pirates.

Skies of Arcadia is about sky pirates.

FFXII is also sort about sky pirates, but that's only because 1/3 of the party is sky pirates, and another 1/3 want to be sky pirates.

Rogue Galaxy is about space pirates.

Xenogears is sort of about sand pirates in that sand pirates drive the plot for a good chunk of the plot. Not really about pirates as a whole, though.

Tear Ring Saga has one of the two protagonists be a pirate, but you don't really play that part.

Other than that, the only games I can think of involving pirates aren't anything like RPGs. Sid Meyer's Pirates! is more of a management/sim type deal. The Monkey Island series are point and click adventure games. Assassin's Creed 4 is an action adventure game. And Sea of Thieves is going to be an exploration action adventure game.

More people need to make pirate games, and pirate RPGs at that.

Edited by Slumber

Technically this ain't an RPG, but Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is an incredible game if you are looking for a game based around classic pirates. Though it isn't really an RPG, it does have some RPG-like mechanics.

The only real issue with the game is the scenes outside of the animus, which can be immersion breaking.

1 hour ago, Purple Mage said:

Does anyone know of great RPGs (mobile or otherwise) involving boats or pirates? I've had a craving for a fantasy sea adventure since last year, going so far as to make a Fire Emblem fanfiction story based on the concept.

So far, I've tried "Choice of the Pirate" and "High Sea Saga". The first one is a great CYOA story while the latter was a simulation game a bit too time-consuming for my tastes. Any suggestions? It has to involve magic in some form or another too. I like being a mage.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Act 2.

3 hours ago, Will Bill said:

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Act 2.

Hahaha, really funny. *sarcasm* I'm serious though.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

In the JRPG realm, there's nothing really super pirate-y, but there are a few pirate themed ones... Actually, now that I think about it, there's not a single one I can think of about actual sea pirates.

Skies of Arcadia is about sky pirates.

FFXII is also sort about sky pirates, but that's only because 1/3 of the party is sky pirates, and another 1/3 want to be sky pirates.

Rogue Galaxy is about space pirates.

Xenogears is sort of about sand pirates in that sand pirates drive the plot for a good chunk of the plot. Not really about pirates as a whole, though.

Tear Ring Saga has one of the two protagonists be a pirate, but you don't really play that part.

Other than that, the only games I can think of involving pirates aren't anything like RPGs. Sid Meyer's Pirates! is more of a management/sim type deal. The Monkey Island series are point and click adventure games. Assassin's Creed 4 is an action adventure game. And Sea of Thieves is going to be an exploration action adventure game.

More people need to make pirate games, and pirate RPGs at that.

I don't really like the newer FFs, and by newer, I mean after VI. Assassin's Creed is alsp not my cup of tea.

Uncharted Waters made back in the day by Koei, has you doing several things in multiple stories, some focused on exploration, some on piracy, others on combat, or a mixture of them all.

6 hours ago, Zera said:

The legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass has pirate-y stuff in it.

Last I checked Zelda isn't an rpg. In the sense we classify a video game rpg by anyways.

Edited by Jedi

Zelda is not an RPG, that is correct

Anyway, seconding Uncharted Waters and half-tempted to say Suikoden 4, granted you're not pirates(see: estranged knights), but the game is very.... "boat", to the point where it's actually kind of annoying

EDIT: Oh yeah, completely forgot about Rogue Galaxy, that game was pretty cool.

Edited by Soledai

Atelier Shallie (PS3 or Vita). Takes place in a sand sea with a sand ship. Great soundtrack.

Nostalgia (DS). Another RPG with the trope-y airships.

Tales of Berseria (PS4). You're basically a group of pirates fighting government guys.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Soledai said:

Zelda is not an RPG, that is correct

Anyway, seconding Uncharted Waters and half-tempted to say Suikoden 4, granted you're not pirates(see: estranged knights), but the game is very.... "boat", to the point where it's actually kind of annoying

EDIT: Oh yeah, completely forgot about Rogue Galaxy, that game was pretty cool.

Which was your favorite story in Uncharted Waters?

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Which was your favorite story in Uncharted Waters?

If this one was Uncharted Waters New Horizons, then Ernst(iirc), I think he was the one that had to sail around the world to make a map?

3 hours ago, Soledai said:

If this one was Uncharted Waters New Horizons, then Ernst(iirc), I think he was the one that had to sail around the world to make a map?

Yeah that's him alright, I was a sucker for the combat heavy story myself.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah that's him alright, I was a sucker for the combat heavy story myself.

I never actually finished his story because I always used my money on cannons for battle. I remember I had a personal goal of trying to beat up every pirate I ran across.

And getting those cool Japanese ships(which also didn't happen)

There's Nantucket over on Steam. Roguelike strategy RPG with a Moby Dick inspired theme. Haven't played much of it but it seems pretty neat. 

EDIT: Just noticed your requirement that it has to have magic, so that doesn't really fit the bill. Hm. I'll have to think about it further.

Edited by Oblivion776

I'm going to second the recommendation for Skies of Arcadia. Despite taking place in the sky, it has a lot of content involving your ship, including ship battles and having a pirate crew. The story is more standard JRPG but the setting is a lot of fun.