About Class Tree Inheritance

starburst

Yesterday, I noticed something odd:
Sophie was recruited after Chapter 12 of Conquest. She inherited ‘Strong Riposte’ from Mercenary Silas, and ‘Defence +2’ from Cavalier Effie. Later on, Sophie was promoted from Cavalier to Great Knight and, to my surprise, she learnt ‘Natural Cover’ on her first level-up, which is exclusive to the Knight class tree.

Sophie herself never used a Heart/ Partner/ Friend Seal; she went straight from Cavalier to Great Knight through a Master Seal at Level 20.
What exactly happened?

My guess is that she learnt ‘Natural Cover’ because having ‘Defence +2’ as a Great Knight confused the system about her class tree. Then the system granted her ‘Natural Cover’ to complete the wrong tree.

For example, if Selena bears Nina and gives her ‘Good Fortune’, is Nina granted ‘Strong Riposte’ on her first level-up as Bow Knight (to complete the alternative class tree)?

Edited by starburst
Formatting.

It's because she has Armor Knight as one of her base classes and she already has the skills for Cavalier.  The rule of needing to reclass to gain the skills of another base class only applies to classes one would need to use a Friendship/Partner Seal to.

In other words, yes, Nina will gain Strong Riposte if she is promoted to a Bow Knight from the Outlaw class if Selena is her mother.  And Velouria with Selena as her mother will start gaining both the Fighter and Mercenary skills if she changes into a Hero.

13 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's because she has Armor Knight as one of her base classes and she already has the skills for Cavalier.  The rule of needing to reclass to gain the skills of another base class only applies to classes one would need to use a Friendship/Partner Seal to.

In other words, yes, Nina will gain Strong Riposte if she is promoted to a Bow Knight from the Outlaw class if Selena is her mother.  And Velouria with Selena as her mother will start gaining both the Fighter and Mercenary skills if she changes into a Hero.

Thanks for your answer, mate. I did not know that; I thought that shared promoted classes ignored the alternative class tree and only followed the original one. The case of Selena » Velouria learning both Fighter and Mercenary skills as a Hero is interesting.

11 hours ago, Johnnie said:

For real fun, marry Jakob to Effie and change him to a Great Knight. If you really struggle with the early game do this immediately after Chapter 7.

You would be surprised to know that Jakob [1] is hardly ever above Level 6 by Endgame.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something else on a different campaign yesterday:

Before Chapter 13, Niles achieved S Support with Effie. And because other children were unlocked around the same time, I organised the skills that would be passed by each parent. In this case, Effie would pass 'Defence +2' to Nina.

Later, I decided to re-class Niles into a Knight right before Nina's Chapter. He gained one level during that chapter and learned 'Defence +2'.
It was only then that I realised that I should have reorganised Effie's skills, because now both parents would pass 'Defence +2' to Nina. But I was already at the end of the chapter, and 'Natural Cover' (the other skill that Effie could have passed) was not that special anyway.

To my surprise, Nina appeared on my team with 'Defence +2' and 'Natural Cover' (plus the skills of a Level 12 Outlaw.)

Was that expected?
If both parents are on the same class and have selected the same skill to pass, does the child simply inherit the next one from the parent's skill pool?

Edited by starburst

Good to know that, Dean.
The case also shows that the skills from the non-variable parent are inherited first. Nina first got 'Defence +2' from Niles, and then got one from Effie (who could not pass 'Defence +2' precisely because Nile's skill pool was read first.)

Edited by starburst