General "mass killings" thread

Raven

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad really that there's so little that can be said by this point. It's a complete tragedy that something like this should ever happen, regardless of the circumstances. Guns just shouldn't be on school grounds full stop.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can already feel the gun lobbiests pouncing on this case as proof that more guns are needed to solve the problem.

Yeah I've already been seeing more "arm teachers" and "get more armed veterans/cops" cropping up already. Really not surprised due to how the shooter was in fact taken down but an officer, but at the same time it's like, we just had another school shooting... we should focus on addressing the hearts of the problem instead of advocating for more guns and expecting more shootings.

...I guess if we're hellbent as a country on not going for the obvious gun control fix, this is the next best thing.

better gun laws >>>>>>>>>>>>>> armed guards in schools >>>> nothing

The better fix and ultimate goal of activism on the issue has to be better gun laws. But if there's really no reasonable prospect of that getting done anytime soon--If its between "armed guards in school" and "nothing"--fine. Put the armed guards in schools.  Something is better than nothing.

I just don't want to hear that that's the best we can do or optimal policy. (using the absolute worst we can do as the only basis of comparison + ignoring what other countries are doing better) 

Like--don't serve me canned tuna when I can see the table next to me has fresh-cut Ahi belly, and act like I should treat it as the best fish on the market because you didn't give me cat food. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

31 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...I guess if we're hellbent as a country on not going for the obvious gun control fix, this is the next best thing.

The better fix and ultimate goal of activism on the issue has to be better gun laws. But if there's really no reasonable prospect of that getting done anytime soon--If its between "armed guards in school" and "nothing"--fine. Put the armed guards in schools.  Something is better than nothing.

I just don't want to hear that that's the best we can do or optimal policy. (using the absolute worst we can do as the only basis of comparison + ignoring what other countries are doing better) 

Like--don't serve me canned tuna when I can see the table next to me has fresh-cut Ahi belly, and act like I should treat it as the best fish on the market because you didn't give me cat food. 

And, much as I dislike the idea, armed guards are way better than armed teachers.

Armed guards is the way to go with the current situation. "Arm teachers" is never gonna happen, too many teachers would be against that. "Ban guns in America" is even more of a pipe dream, and I don't believe the government to be capable of actually enforcing meaningful gun control laws. So please, get armed guards soon.

Also, I'm not public-schooled, so I don't know the answer to this one: are students allowed to carry non-lethal weapons to school? Like tazers, pepper spray, etc.

1 hour ago, SullyMcGully said:

Also, I'm not public-schooled, so I don't know the answer to this one: are students allowed to carry non-lethal weapons to school? Like tazers, pepper spray, etc.

No. They're still weapons even if they're not lethal.

13 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I'd actually argue better gun laws >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nothing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> armed guards in schools.

Afaik there's already significant problems with guards/police abusing their position of authority, and in case of police they don't even answer to the school. Let's not skew the power dynamic even more.

19 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

Absolutely not.  There's a higher chance that some cheesehead will use it to cause other students misery.

A few things to add.  The rise in mass shootings coincides with the rise of anti depressants.  In addition most of these individuals were on anti depressants or were recently on them.  There is more than guns to blame.  Pretty much poisoning and damaging the brains of people by shoving anti depressants for any reason at all, when they aren't supported by research in terms of helping and in fact most points to it doing long term harm sometimes irreversible.  

So what needs to be done.  Much stricter gun regulations.  You have any history of mental illness, no guns.  You have any criminal history, no guns.  You have to be 21.  Pretty silly that one can't legally buy a beer at 18 but can by an assault rifle.  

The drug industry needs a serious looking into, particularly ones that effect the brain.  Poison for profit is about as evil as it gets.  

5 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

A few things to add.  The rise in mass shootings coincides with the rise of anti depressants.  In addition most of these individuals were on anti depressants or were recently on them.  There is more than guns to blame.  Pretty much poisoning and damaging the brains of people by shoving anti depressants for any reason at all, when they aren't supported by research in terms of helping and in fact most points to it doing long term harm sometimes irreversible.  

So what needs to be done.  Much stricter gun regulations.  You have any history of mental illness, no guns.  You have any criminal history, no guns.  You have to be 21.  Pretty silly that one can't legally buy a beer at 18 but can by an assault rifle.  

The drug industry needs a serious looking into, particularly ones that effect the brain.  Poison for profit is about as evil as it gets.  

The rise in mass shootings also coincides with a bunch of other meaningless things.  It would be spurious to attribute mass shootings to something like global warming.

36 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The rise in mass shootings also coincides with a bunch of other meaningless things.  It would be spurious to attribute mass shootings to something like global warming.

Considering anti depressants lead to increased violent behavior in some individuals, I'd call it far from meaningless.  The drug companies have most people brainwashed though and are laughing all the way to the bank.  

It doesn't mean it is the primary cause, but all possible causes should be thoroughly investigated in such a serious issue.  The one thing for sure, is much stricter gun regulations.  Go try to kill a bunch of people with a knife and see how that works.  You can hold countless people hostage with a gun and then just shoot at leisure, cause it is a simple press of a button and you can kill someone far away.  Until at least that is passed, well look forward to many more mass shootings year after year.  There will be the usual speech.  Blah blah, a tragedy for America, so sad.  Then the next day most will forget and nothing will change.  The people putting up with it, are much more to blame than the NRA or anything else.  Those kids who are standing up and not forgetting about, hopefully they continue.  If the people as a whole are angry enough and protest enough, maybe it will push more action.  

Edited by Lewyn

43 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Related image

Stop global warming; become a pirate. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 3/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, Lewyn said:

I disagree with having to be 21 to own a gun. Considering you can be drafted at the age of 18 and sent to go die for your country, you should have access to your rights as a US citizen. 

Now I wouldn’t fully disagree with not being able to own a gun while still being in Highschool.

6 hours ago, Tolvir said:

I disagree with having to be 21 to own a gun. Considering you can be drafted at the age of 18 and sent to go die for your country, you should have access to your rights as a US citizen. 

Now I wouldn’t fully disagree with not being able to own a gun while still being in Highschool.

Well military could be an exception.  Fact is it takes a lot more personal responsibility to own and handle a gun than it does to have a beer.  So either lower the drinking age or raise the gun ownership age.  Otherwise it makes no sense.  

I don't even get why the drinking age is so high in America. Practically everywhere else it's 18 or lower (or banned completely if you're Muslim run) and it has not correlation to how problematic alchol addiction is. Of course America also still uses the imperial system which is even more inane.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't even get why the drinking age is so high in America. Practically everywhere else it's 18 or lower (or banned completely if you're Muslim run) and it has not correlation to how problematic alchol addiction is. Of course America also still uses the imperial system which is even more inane.

Lobbying, IIRC.

But this isn't the topic to discuss such things.