General "mass killings" thread

Raven

They got him. Good. It's so easy to forget that not all of these event take place far from you. Worst part is, this shooting was essentially unavoidable. The government did everything right, but the ATF had no reason to suspect the shooter's dad would just give him back his guns.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>shot 8 people with a high power rifle and fled the scene
>>>>>arrested and taken into custody

Isn't it amazing how in these mass shooter situations with these confirmed armed-and-dangerous "suspects," the police consistently manage to approach the perp and make an arrest without perceiving any immediate need to resort to lethal force?

...its almost as if the officers casually gunning down black civilians because some verbal disobedience or twitch of the hand made them "fear for their lives" are full of shit, and literally getting away with murder...  

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

So hey my country gets one of these too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-victim-identifications-1.4632509

Looks like the shithead who did it was inspired by Elliot Rodger. Disgusting internet misogyny claims more victims.

I just thought it was just another terrorist attack by ISIS. This seems like something with a vastly different motive.

4 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I just thought it was just another terrorist attack by ISIS. This seems like something with a vastly different motive.

ISIS isn't really a direct threat in North America, beyond whatever influence their propaganda has to captivate desperate men. Incidentally, their recruitment strategy is practically identical to the alt-right's, and the results are not all that different: random acts of violence perpetrated by individuals swayed by hateful ideologies

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

...Well at least we can laugh about it...

He must have some kind of temporal ammo storing capacity. Because he fired far too many times to only reload once!

"My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves, and to others,"

That is, everything short of making owning a gun illegal...

THANK YOU MEDIA for posting the 17-year-old perpetrator's name.

No, I don't really care why he did it, or who he was.  What I'd rather do is fund schools properly, so that kids with issues can be given the appropriate help.

Interestingly, within minutes of the boy's name coming out, 4chan had a fake Facebook account up and running, portraying him as a Hillary supporter, and an anti-fascist.

interesting blend of troll mixed in with lying to try to switch attention away from the far right nazi crowd. 

Remember how much intensity there was in this discussion and how engaged everyone was after Parkland, Florida? Look at it now; barely a blip. That's how quickly the fatigue and apathy sets in.

Edited by Shoblongoo

18 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That is, everything short of making owning a gun illegal...

Practical solutions, please. Do you really think the 100m+ people who own a gun will take that lying down?

5 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Remember how much intensity there was in this discussion and how engaged everyone was after Parkland, Florida? Look at it now; barely a blip. That's how quickly the fatigue and apathy sets in.

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but 

I'm not sure people have forgotten

Edited by Lord Raven

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

The second half of it should've made it clear that I was sarcastic.

Well I suspected as much, but when it comes to text, sometimes this stuff can be a Russian roulette.

JJ Watt is such a class act and an exceptional individual.

I think everyone is tired of these shootings and the president and Congress say "It's a big tragedy, our prayers for the families, etc etc yadda yadda yadda"  Regular civilians we can say that.  However they are the ones that can actually pass bills and make it less likely for these things to happen in the future.  That they don't is pretty much the same as saying "Those kids that died don't matter, and more will die in the future and we don't care".  

What's the total count at of victims of school shootings?  

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

No, I don't really care why he did it, or who he was.  What I'd rather do is fund schools properly, so that kids with issues can be given the appropriate help.

Probably why a lot of states are now protesting such things.

The fact given that North Carolina spends ~$6000 per student while spending ~$35000 per inmate shows where the priorities lie.

6 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Practical solutions, please. Do you really think the 100m+ people who own a gun will take that lying down?

To be fair, anywhere outside the United States it's seen as baffling. I know it's customary for American Democrats to tip-toe around trying to push for gun control laws (and not even forcably or effective), but I would honestly suggest a repeal of the Second Ammendment. The Australian government put drastic actions into effect after the Port Arthur massacre. Noted, Australia and America were very different in terms of gun culture.

I know that's seen as heresy and it isn't going to ever happen, but that is why people outside the US can't see why this is a thing. You've got people who genuinely would want to kick off a civil war if such a thing was to happen in the US - and lucky for everyone else that they seem to be the ones who are the biggest gun fetishists and stockpiling them!

But if at the very least you're going to have a country that does so, it would be in the publics best interest if you actually try to implement some of the ideas that are very popular because I think most people acknowledge that a problem exists. Even Fox News can't really hide it at this point. The only real right-wing solution there is the putting armed guards in schools.

cc46b0da3d.png

It doesn't need to be just one thing, either, in fact, I would suggest not just doing one thing. You can fund failing mental health services and checks in the US. But there seems to be very little interest for that as well in positions of power. As we know, the American government is very good at not listening to what the citizens actually want.

Edited by Tryhard

16 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Probably why a lot of states are now protesting such things.

The fact given that North Carolina spends ~$6000 per student while spending ~$35000 per inmate shows where the priorities lie.

To be fair, anywhere outside the United States it's seen as baffling. I know it's customary for American Democrats to tip-toe around trying to push for gun control laws (and not even forcably or effective), but I would honestly suggest a repeal of the Second Ammendment. The Australian government put drastic actions into effect after the Port Arthur massacre. Noted, Australia and America were very different in terms of gun culture.

I know that's seen as heresy and it isn't going to ever happen, but that is why people outside the US can't see why this is a thing. You've got people who genuinely would want to kick off a civil war if such a thing was to happen in the US - and lucky for everyone else that they seem to be the ones who are the biggest gun fetishists and stockpiling them!

But if at the very least you're going to have a country that does so, it would be in the publics best interest if you actually try to implement some of the ideas that are very popular because I think most people acknowledge that a problem exists. Even Fox News can't really hide it at this point. The only real right-wing solution there is the putting armed guards in schools.

cc46b0da3d.png

It doesn't need to be just one thing, either, in fact, I would suggest not just doing one thing. You can fund failing mental health services and checks in the US. But there seems to be very little interest for that as well in positions of power. As we know, the American government is very good at not listening to what the citizens actually want.

Putting armed guards in schools sounds like an extremely scary thought to me. I scares me personally, anyway. I'm imagining these guards having assault rifles and Kevlar, but they would probably just have pistols. Either way, while it's one effective strategy, I'm not a fan. You never know which kids might decide to try cause harm if they somehow get a hold of a guard's weapon. It probably wouldn't happen, but I can't help but feel cautious.

Assuming that the guards are put in all levels of schools (elementary, middle, high, etc.), I can only imagine what effect it would have on the younger kids.

12 minutes ago, indigospace said:

Putting armed guards in schools sounds like an extremely scary thought to me. I scares me personally, anyway. I'm imagining these guards having assault rifles and Kevlar, but they would probably just have pistols. Either way, while it's one effective strategy, I'm not a fan. You never know which kids might decide to try cause harm if they somehow get a hold of a guard's weapon. It probably wouldn't happen, but I can't help but feel cautious.

Assuming that the guards are put in all levels of schools (elementary, middle, high, etc.), I can only imagine what effect it would have on the younger kids.

I don't think it's a good idea myself, but considering some political pundits have been putting forth the idea of arming teachers without a hint of joking, it's infinitely better than that.

Edited by Tryhard

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I don't think it's a good idea myself, but considering some political pundits have been putting forth the idea of arming teachers without a hint of joking, it's infinitely better than that.

Absolutely this. It's a shit solution, but at least it's some form of a solution, or at least, an attempt at a solution. If the rational solutions of gun control laws and increasing mental health awareness are so completely impossible, then it's the next best thing. Because the record shows that leaving things as they are and changing nothing is completely unfeasible. The problem is not going to go away by doing nothing.I wish America was as gun focused as basically every first world country in history, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.

Edited by Jotari

Wasn't my suggestion. Blanket ban doesn't work at this moment.

If making legislation was actually that easy, then I'm sure it would be made. At this point, there's been too much done to make the pro-2A people paranoid about their guns that I don't think it's practical to even really do an assault rifle ban unless older guns are grandfathered in somehow (like a registry for machine guns for instance).

I actually know many of these pro-2A people and they are extremely attached to their guns like toys. (Oddly enough, they also didn't have great temperament but that's not for here nor there). For instance, for this mass shooting, the only point they have to make is "the media gives too much exposure and just wants to take our guns away." You can't really reason with that unwillingness to compromise.