Custom Characters/Dream Characters Thread

Erren

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand.  Is this thread for OCs or types of characters we want to see IS implement in official games?

Never mind.  Didn't see what subforum this was in.  Forget I ever said anything.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I don't understand.  Is this thread for OCs or types of characters we want to see IS implement in official games?

Never mind.  Didn't see what subforum this was in.  Forget I ever said anything.

(Not for OC's, but for characters you want to see in the game.)

Its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Helix - Everybody's expecting an ARMS representative, and that it's probably the vanilla Spring Man or Ribbon Girl. I would loooove Ribbon Girl's stage as a Smash stage, but her special ability in ARMS is extra jumps. Everybody can double jump in Smash Bros, so it's not that cool. Plus I feel like there are too many Human and human proportioned characters in Smash, so do Helix instead. Helix looks and moves like nothing in Smash. His ability to go high and low profile is very applicable to Smash as a high profile stance (by holding jump) would give him excellent anti-air to stunt opponents' landing options and aerial based approaches. The Drawback for high stance is that you can only jump after letting go of the jump button, giving him a much longer jumpsquat than any other character. So unless his Up B is an incredible OoS option, this guy will have very little he could do against shield pressure. Even if his Up B is great OoS, it'll still be an anticipated option. I feel like Smash 4's new character designs are focused too much on cool strengths and not enough on the weaknesses that character would have to deal with.

Lastly, build him a general moveset using the three ARMS he naturally has access to. Maybe his Blorb attacks apply a kind of slow effect that drops movement speed, since obviously a blind effect is not applicable to Smash. Maybe add some other ARMS if you think his moveset could use more variety, but I think being able to apply more than three effects is too much depth for a character that's already rocking a unique high stance mechanic.

I know this is a Dream Characters thread, but I still don't feel right about the majority of my new character ideas as they are overwhelmingly non-nintendo guests. So instead here's some veteran character changes and/or custom moves I'd like to see:

Mario - I'd like to see Cappy as a custom move replacement for fireball or the cape. A weak, short range projectile that sits at a fixed position. When used while falling, Mario's fall speed resets just like in Odyssey, allowing you to tap the move again for a dive onto the cap. Limit one cappy bounce per air time. Not only would it boost Mario's net recovery, but make his recovery less predictable - an issue he's always had. His landing options would improve, since he could throw the cap in one direction, then dive in the opposite direction to fake out the opponent trying to catch his landing. And I think that's a good deal for taking away either his average projectile or his reflector.

Wario - Custom move replacement for the bike could be his shoulder charge from Wario Land. It's his most iconic, unique move from the series, so I'm surprised it's only appeared sort-of in his Brawl F-Smash. It's a movement tool, he can run off ledges and convert into his jump. That's very mechanically similar to the bike, so it should be a custom move. Or if you ask me, his default Side B while the bike can be the custom move. Furthermore, Wario's classic outfit should be the default, I just don't care for WarioWare.

Samus - give her the ability to "crawl". Rolling in a morph ball should match or exceed her walk speed, allowing her to have a low profile in neutral situations whenever she's not zoning with projectiles. Furthermore, incorporate the Ice Beam into a move. I suggest D-tilt and/or F-Smash. Neither has much application for her in Smash 4, so you may as well take the opportunity to reference another of her iconic weapons. The freeze effect is a dumb gimmick, but knocking enemies into the air is advantageous for Samus as she covers her opponent's landing with the Charge shot or missiles. Finally, bring her dodge rolls up to speed. Instead of slow morph ball to her destination, it'll be a diveroll based on the Dodgesense mechanic of Other M. Looks a lot more like the rolls of other characters and it's a direct reference to a game. win-win

Ganondorf - give this guy a moveset. No I don't think it's endearing for him to keep it. They did the same with Jigglypuff and she's totally polarizing. You know what, just replace Ganondorf with Trident-wielding Pig Ganon. That's a better excuse for a slow, heavy weight character.

Pit/Dark Pit - I wanted Smash 4 Pit to have a new moveset featuring the dozen or so weapon types he can wield in Uprising. But I also kind of get that a bow-that-breaks-into-dual-sabers is cool on its own. So if we're getting two pits, have Dark Pit using cool alternate weapons while Pit keeps the bread and butter. Sakurai is the guy that made up that weapon idea, let it stay in Smash. And give Pit back the Mirror Shield. The Three Sacred Treasures should be Pit's thing exclusively while Dark Pit gets the guardian orbitars as a slower reflector that covers both sides.

Link/Toon Link - If it were up to me, there wouldn't be two Links in Smash. And the "Classic Link" would be Toon Link since he looks better and has better ideal parameters (small size, faster movement, more annoying, tactical projectiles). But Breath of the Wild provides a ton of possibilities for new moves, so an "Adult Link" based on that is enough for me to warrant a second Link. Runes and Champion Abilities make for great move inspirations. The paraglider is a recovery tool, have it be something you repeatedly toggle in a single air time as long as Link has Stamina. And his Stamina will drain faster if he's at higher damage %. Up B is Revali's Gale as a source of verticality. And have a melee moveset built up of all kinds of weapons from the game, not just the Master Sword. They could even institute a Robin-style durability mechanic where weapons break and are replaced with weaker versions temporarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and one more thing. People are saying Xenoblade 2 could use a rep, and I agree. But I'm not into the idea of Rex, Pyra, or a tag team of them. XC2's got some cool characters, Rex and Pyra don't come to mind for me. I propose Tora and Poppi instead. Like with my suggestion with Helix, I like characters that look and sound different than everybody else. Put away the seventh anime sword kid and boob lady and bring us the Porg and robot superkid. These two seem to make more sense as a tag team as well going off of cinematics. The Rex/Pyra situation is just passing off the sword while Tora and Poppi have their own abilities that they use in tandem. Tora's got a bulky shield drill while Poppi has any number of weapons in addition to flying him around for recovery. Plus beating the crap out of Tora, and doing the same as Tora sounds like a ton of fun.

If that damsel scrappy bitch doesn't wise up in the main Mario games and do something to prevent from being kidnapped for the nth time again, then she has no business competing in Smash. Relegate that damsel scrappy to as a trophy princess, and remove her from the roster. I don't give a fuck about the rest of the characters - that's the only dealmaker for me to touch any of the Smash games.

Edited by henrymidfields

18 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

If that damsel scrappy bitch doesn't wise up in the main Mario games and do something to prevent from being kidnapped for the nth time again, then she has no business competing in Smash. Relegate that damsel scrappy to as a trophy princess, and remove her from the roster. I don't give a fuck about the rest of the characters - that's the only dealmaker for me to touch any of the Smash games.

You know many Mario games, Peach has proven herself to be quite the capable fighter. Plus, in Smash, Peach is the female character with the most physical fighting style.

The princess who barely has any fighting abilities is Zelda. Other than light arrows. She is rarely fights, and tends only to appear in the finales.

Dixie Kong - She is long overdue to be playable! She's playable in a number of DK games and is Diddy's girlfriend. She has helicopter hair power which sounds so fun. She's also cute!

Daisy - Stop being a dumb Peach palette. I hate Peach and find her annoying (though I would not ask for her removal like a poster above, as that's ridiculous). I want to play as Daisy, not as Peach in her colors. So at least make Daisy an alternate model choice, not just a palette, if not her own spot in the roster.

Vaati - Zelda's second most recurring villain deserves to be in too imo. We don't have much Four Sword Zelda content and Toon Link doesn't have a villain to go with him. Toon Link may be based more off of TWW Link in Smash, but he still is also the design used for TMC, Vaati's first game. Sorcerer Vaati could bring lots of wind-based moves with him and his FS is a no-brainer: eyeball bat form!

Toon Link - And speaking of Toon Link, I'd declone him and make him more akin to TMC Link. Not simply because I'm biased for TMC (I kind of am admittedly, as I love that game), but so Toon Link can have more of his own moves. The Roc's Cape, Gust Jar, etc. would make interesting moves for him, imo. Though I'm not holding my breath for this.

Ribbon Girl - I've only barely played Arms, but Ribbon Girl is so cute. Though she could just wind up being an alt for Spring Man, which is fine too. I'm not exactly sure how their moveset would work and not be too OP with how they can extend their arms so far, but knowing Sakurai, he'd come up with something (this IS the guy that basically made up a whole moveset from scratch for Captain Falcon, after all).

Ike - Ike should stay in the roster, of course! He's kind of a staple now. But give him all his various outfits as costumes! This way, Ike fans can choose to be either RD or PoR Ike and we get to see those glorious outfits of his again. I really want to play Vanguard Ike myself. Also, can we finally have Ragnell's shockwave ability (Aether Wave doesn't really count)? It might actually make Ike NOT lowish tier for once too...

Luigi - All I really ask for Luigi is a Mr. L alt, honestly. And for his death stare to be referenced in some way! Like maybe as a taunt. I think he's perfect as is otherwise!

Edited by Anacybele

Alm would do a lot of  swift and athletic attacks.

Celica would be bit similar to Robin/Marth

That spear monkey from Kirby. I don't know if he's already in Smash. I last played a Kirby game 4 years ago. And I've only played Smash on Wii

Neku from The World Ends With You. A lot of psychic powers such as pyrokinesis, shockwaves, energy bullets, gusts etc. Heck, throw in Joshua. Phone based god powers

2 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Alm would do a lot of  swift and athletic attacks.

Celica would be bit similar to Robin/Marth

That spear monkey from Kirby. I don't know if he's already in Smash. I last played a Kirby game 4 years ago. And I've only played Smash on Wii

Neku from The World Ends With You. A lot of psychic powers such as pyrokinesis, shockwaves, energy bullets, gusts etc. Heck, throw in Joshua. Phone based god powers

agreed, but we already have a lot of Sword FE Characters. Maybe Hector and Ephraim?

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Dixie Kong - She is long overdue to be playable! She's playable in a number of DK games and is Diddy's girlfriend. She has helicopter hair power which sounds so fun. She's also cute!

Daisy - Stop being a dumb Peach palette. I hate Peach and find her annoying (though I would not ask for her removal like a poster above, as that's ridiculous). I want to play as Daisy, not as Peach in her colors. So at least make Daisy an alternate model choice, not just a palette, if not her own spot in the roster.

Vaati - Zelda's second most recurring villain deserves to be in too imo. We don't have much Four Sword Zelda content and Toon Link doesn't have a villain to go with him. Toon Link may be based more off of TWW Link in Smash, but he still is also the design used for TMC, Vaati's first game. Sorcerer Vaati could bring lots of wind-based moves with him and his FS is a no-brainer: eyeball bat form!

Toon Link - And speaking of Toon Link, I'd declone him and make him more akin to TMC Link. Not simply because I'm biased for TMC (I kind of am admittedly, as I love that game), but so Toon Link can have more of his own moves. The Roc's Cape, Gust Jar, etc. would make interesting moves for him, imo. Though I'm not holding my breath for this.

Ribbon Girl - I've only barely played Arms, but Ribbon Girl is so cute. Though she could just wind up being an alt for Spring Man, which is fine too. I'm not exactly sure how their moveset would work and not be too OP with how they can extend their arms so far, but knowing Sakurai, he'd come up with something (this IS the guy that basically made up a whole moveset from scratch for Captain Falcon, after all).

Ike - Ike should stay in the roster, of course! He's kind of a staple now. But give him all his various outfits as costumes! This way, Ike fans can choose to be either RD or PoR Ike and we get to see those glorious outfits of his again. I really want to play Vanguard Ike myself. Also, can we finally have Ragnell's shockwave ability (Aether Wave doesn't really count)? It might actually make Ike NOT lowish tier for once too...

Luigi - All I really ask for Luigi is a Mr. L alt, honestly. And for his death stare to be referenced in some way! Like maybe as a taunt. I think he's perfect as is otherwise!

all of this I can agree with. 

My next idea for a new character in Smash would be one of the characters from Phantasy Star, but its not likely because Sega doesn't want to release them to Western Audiences anymore.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:56 PM, Glennstavos said:

Oh and one more thing. People are saying Xenoblade 2 could use a rep, and I agree. But I'm not into the idea of Rex, Pyra, or a tag team of them. XC2's got some cool characters, Rex and Pyra don't come to mind for me. I propose Tora and Poppi instead. Like with my suggestion with Helix, I like characters that look and sound different than everybody else.

Unfortunately, I don't think that'd ever happen. But I share your sentiment.

If Baten Kaitos ever got in Smash, I don't want Kalas or Sagi, I want Guillo! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae2uHcQk1nI

Skip to 1:37 to see what he capable of and then tell me whether he's worthy of a fighting game appearance or not.

Bandanna Waddle Dee: MAKE HIM PLAYABLE NINTENDO!

King Dedede: Maybe change his final smash into Masked Dedede (or Buff Dedede if they're feeling particularly spicy)

Hector: Best lord should be in Smash. 'nuff said.

Waluigi: To add a little more memery into Smash.

Ragna: Kind of a stretch, but considering that BBCTB is on the switch, he stands a chance. (Kinda.)

I'd fucking die if BBCTB being on Switch SOMEHOW got Ruby in. (Granted her chances are 10 times as slim as Ragna's, but a man can dream)

6 hours ago, GreatKnightEcho said:

Bandanna Waddle Dee: MAKE HIM PLAYABLE NINTENDO!

King Dedede: Maybe change his final smash into Masked Dedede (or Buff Dedede if they're feeling particularly spicy)

Hector: Best lord should be in Smash. 'nuff said.

Waluigi: To add a little more memery into Smash.

Ragna: Kind of a stretch, but considering that BBCTB is on the switch, he stands a chance. (Kinda.)

I'd fucking die if BBCTB being on Switch SOMEHOW got Ruby in. (Granted her chances are 10 times as slim as Ragna's, but a man can dream)

You need to include a key for those acronyms, because I, for one, have no idea what your'e talking about.

Ooh, I've got a few of these!

Ice Climbers: They're not guaranteed to get back in, but since they were only kept out of Smash 4 because the 3DS couldn't handle them, I'd like to see them come back for Smash Switch, since it shouldn't have any trouble handling them. Maybe they could get their infinite-grabs nerfed in some way, but outside of that I don't see any need to change them too drastically.

Inkling: I know they're already in, but I have a very specific vision of how they could play. They should have ink as a mechanic, letting them swim in it as a superfast crawl and making it slow the movement speed and lower the jump height of enemies stuck in your ink (though ink could be removed by attacking it, but since it's on the ground they'd have to use stuff like D-Tilts to clear your ink). Their jab could be a rapid-fire Inkbrush swing that covers the area immediately in front of them, F-Tilt could be a few Splattershot shots that could also be done while walking forward without stopping (like Mega Man's jab, but Inklings get a regular jab too], U-Tilt could shoot straight up to rain down ink on both sides (though for this and F-Tilt, ink-bullets would deal less damage and low to no knockback after falling a certain distance, to prevent Inklings from just spamming Splattershot near the ledge as the world's best edgeguarding tool), D-Tilt could be rolling a Roller forward to deal significant horizontal knockback and cover an area in front of her completely, Dash Attack could be running forward with a Roller to coat a decent-size area while going onto it, F-Smash could be a Blaster shot that deals massive damage and knockback with the ink-blob but eventually explodes into a less-damaging ink-burst, U-Smash could be swinging a Roller straight up to fling some ink straight up (this would also be subject to the Splattershot rule about dealing less damage and knockback after falling a ways, though it would do more damage than those moves), D-Smash could be splashing the ground with a Slosher to splash foes away with an ink-wave on both sides, aerials could be swinging the Inkbrush and Roller around, Neutral-B could be shooting a Charger, which would gain more range, damage and knockback and be able to be aimed up and down by holding B, Side-B could be throwing a Splat Bomb, a time-delayed explosive that could force enemies out of any safe zone and into your ink in addition to dealing decent damage and knockback, Up-B could be Super Jumping, which would have great vertical reach but would not be any kind of attack, making it so you're very vulnerable if you're forced to recover with this, and Down-B could be a Brella shot, a shotgun-type blast with several hits and low knockback that's more useful for racking up damage and negating enemy projectiles than for killing, and would expand into a frontal shield while B is held, and if held for long enough, the shield would shoot forward as a forward-moving wall (that could be reflected, so watch out for that). The Inkling's Final Smash would be Ink Storm, summoning a storm that covers the entire stage in your color ink and dealing low damage-over-time for several seconds.

Spring Man: ARMS could use a representative, and while any representative would be fine by me, I'm expecting Spring Man, so I'll write this as though it's him getting in. I could see Spring Man being a long-range fighter, with long punches that leave him vulnerable if they miss, making him something of a Dhalsim-type. Stat-wise, Spring Man would be pretty middle-of-the-road all-around, if not a bit slow, with a fairly-average-height jump and a low double-jump. Spring Man could have a Down-B in which he charges up his gloves, making his next attack with each arm deal more damage and knockback and giving it a secondary effect, which could be done as long as at least one glove was not charged. His normal attacks could be stretchy punches with his Toasters, which would light foes on fire when charged, and his grab would be a long-ranged grab that can be angled upward and downward while reaching out (to reference the ability to curve your punches in ARMS... he'd probably also have something like this on at least his smash attacks. Also he'd be able to use this in midair, giving him a passable recovery by giving him a tether to grab ledges with). His Neutral-B would be punching out with a Boomerang, which could be aimed in any direction while B is held and would hit while moving out, during which it could be angled, and once while the boomerang returns to Spring Man, which could pull people toward Spring Man for further pain (but when charged, the boomerang would have a tornado around it, increasing its hitbox size, especially vertically, and greatly increasing its vertical knockback, making it a good tool for killing off the top). His Side-B could be a forward dash, which would be able to be cancelled into A attacks after a certain point, and when your gloves are charged, the dash would gain armor in exchange for losing the charge, giving you a way to try and get out of bad situations or muscle through edgeguarding attempts while you return to the stage (which might not help too much, since Spring Man's recovery would be craptastic outside of his tether grab, but hey, it's something). Up-B on the ground would have Spring Man punch the ground, bouncing him very high upward and letting him act very shortly after he goes airborne and use his double-jump and his Up-B again in midair. In midair, however, Spring Man would just bounce upward a bit with a downward punch, which would spike foes but wouldn't help too much as a recovery tool (he would have the tether grab for recovering though, because while I think Spring Man should have a bad recovery, I want him to have a better recovery than Little Mac at least). His Final Smash would be Rush, which would let Spring Man chain his A attacks into one another and into jumps and Side-B and Up-B (since that's technically a punch, just not directed toward his foe) as well as making all of his attacks much faster and permanently charged until the Rush ends.

Captain Toad: He's got his own game, and it's coming to Switch, so I could see the Captain exploring the Smash roster. And he could be pretty unique, as a small character who's very heavy and could have a low jump and a double-jump that doesn't actually go up, instead just making him stay at his current altitude for a second or so, and he would have decent aerial speed and running speed (to reference the fact that other playable Toads in platformers, such as Super Mario Bros 2 and 3D World, are fast) while having a fast falling speed and slow walk (because that backpack is heavy). To make it so his recovery isn't completely horrible, his Up-B could be pulling out a spin-wheel-to-raise platform and riding it up a ways before hopping off, refreshing his double-jump (but not his Up-B) and giving him a decent vertical recovery. His attacks could be stuff like flashing his headlamp, pulling coins out of the ground, lifting a gem over his head, turning keys like there's a door in front of him, spinning to swing his backpack around, swinging a pickax, throwing turnips, and other stuff like that. I'm not sure what the Final Smash could be though.
Also Toadette alt, since she was playable in Treasure Tracker too.

Bandana Dee: I want a fourth Kirby rep, and Bandana Dee's a good option. He's already very unique for Smashers as a spear-user, and he could use it for long disjointed attacks that are decently damaging but very linear and thin (because the spear is long, not thick), and he could also use it for a spear-throwing Side-B where the spears would rise up a bit before falling and a spear-copter Up-B that rises up about as much as Final Cutter but gives Bandana Dee a long-lasting hitbox above him that hits a whole bunch of times and gives Bandana Dee greater horizontal movement control while rising. Additionally, Bandana Dee can reference his Waddle Dee brethren by wielding a Parasol for some moves, like a throw (Circus Throw plz), and a Down-B that either dashes forward with a shield that nullifies projectiles and does alright horizontal knockback on the ground or does a Falcon Kick-esque dive that goes slower and does less damage but does more horizontal knockback and nullifies projectiles below Bandana Dee with the parasol, and could also break out Beam for some attacks, like a few throws, and a Neutral-B that either does a wide beam-whip or can be charged for a powerful and large projectile blast. His Final Smash could be Flare Beam from Return to Dream Land, giving him a controllable beam-ball that deals massive damage and knockback, like a projectile version of Volt Tackle. Finally, as a Kirby-series character, I could see him having a multiple aerial jumps (maybe 3), but since he's not able to inflate himself like Kirby/Dedede and he doesn't have wings like Meta Knight, his air-jumps would be very low jumps.

Decidueye: We already have Water and Fire starters, so Grass starter's gotta happen sooner or later, and my second-favorite Alolan starter would be a decent choice for this I think. Decidueye could have good air speed and multiple jumps with not-so-great ground speed, to encourage staying airborne as often as you can (you are playing as an owl, after all), and be somewhat middleweightish. The Arrow Quill Pokemon could attack with its wings and talons, and its Specials could be stuff like Spirit Shackle as a projectile that sticks grounded foes to the ground for a few seconds (but just does regular knockback on aerial foes), preventing them from jumping or being knocked off of the ground (so you could combo them easily since knockback wouldn't be a thing, but it would be practically impossible to actually kill someone with Spirit Shackle unless you get them on a moving platform as it's exiting the stage), Phantom Force for an Up-B that would teleport Decidueye like Mewtwo's Teleport, but slower and with a powerful attack when Decidueye reappears, Shadow Sneak as a Raptor Boost-esque dash-attack which has Decidueye fly forward, and if the bird reaches an enemy, teleport behind them with a powerful attack, and Sucker Punch as a counterattack for when foes get too close for comfort or someone tries to Falcon Punch you. And the Final Smash has to be Sinister Arrow Raid, Decidueye's Z-Move.

Also hoping for Mimikyu as a Poke Ball summon, because I like Mimikyu but can't see one becoming playable.

On 11/03/2018 at 1:59 AM, Water Mage said:

You know many Mario games, Peach has proven herself to be quite the capable fighter. Plus, in Smash, Peach is the female character with the most physical fighting style.

The princess who barely has any fighting abilities is Zelda. Other than light arrows. She is rarely fights, and tends only to appear in the finales.

When did she actually fight besides Smash, Super Princess Peach, and Super Paper Mario? That still leaves a good number of her games being a dumbass at any rate, and that also does not excuse her not resisting against Bowser in the main games either. Her turning out to be able to actually fight just makes her an bloody idiot for not doing the same bloody thing in other games.

31 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

When did she actually fight besides Smash, Super Princess Peach, and Super Paper Mario? That still leaves a good number of her games being a dumbass at any rate, and that also does not excuse her not resisting against Bowser in the main games either. Her turning out to be able to actually fight just makes her an bloody idiot for not doing the same bloody thing in other games.

Super Mario RPG, Super Princess Peach, Super Mario 3D world, the Mario Party games and many other examples. 

Second, I don’t think you’re supposed think to much about how she’s getting kidnapped. It’s just an excuse for Mario to go on an adventure.

But if you really want wonder how she’s keeps getting kidnapped by Bowser, other characters that are also capable fighters, such as Luigi, Yoshi and Mario got kidnapped more than once.

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Super Mario USA and Super Mario RPG.

Now that Smash is honoring gaming legends that aren't entirely Nintendo exclusive, I think it's time they honor an early gaming icon. 

General Custer from Custer's Revenge. 

Think of his Final Smash. 

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Now that Smash is honoring going legends that aren't entirely Nintendo exclusive, I think it's time they honor an early gaming icon. 

General Custer from Custer's Revenge. 

Think of his Final Smash. 

Oh god you went there.

Now that I think about it it's probably even worse that I know what you're talking about.

43 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Now that I think about it it's probably even worse that I know what you're talking about.

Well, my job here is done.

Edited by Slumber