General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

1 minute ago, MisfitMiju said:

If you don't mind me asking why do you think Ike needs a refine he's more solid than most of the sword characters currently present in red

He got outclassed by Vanguard Ike just out of nowhere, and a lot of newer sword units are coming out with weapons and skills that can make them better DC units than Ike. Ike for the most part now is just a slightly well balanced Red DC unit, but actually doesn't have that much Res to take advantage of Ragnell to it's fullest. The least they could do for him is give him Guard in his weapon like in the original game to give him an edge at what he's good at, which is physical combat.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Askr Trio will probably get something as the story progresses. Patience, friends, patience.

At this point I'm wondering if they could give one of the Archanean Sword users Mercurius. I don't think Astram is going to make into the game anytime soon and Draug, Ogma or Navarre would appreciate a buff. Palla and Athena at least have decent weapons.

I don't think Odin is really that bad and as it is there is little reason to give him a new weapon. Think about it, his default Blarblade is his best way to circumvent his poor damage output. His personal tome must have something like -blade effect with a +3 Atk bonus attached to it and that's not all too different, no?
He is kinda useable except he is quite expensive. Worse than most mages, sure, but certainly better than the likes of Raigh or Henry.

Imo:
- Clive (disappointing stats don't go well with a Silver Lance)
- Fir (a common problem with the overbloated Sword pool are the mediocre picks but Fir stands out as most unimpressive)
- Raigh (absolutely outclassed by any other Red mage aside from that one other dark mage)
- Florina (girl, you need that Spd fixed)
- Stahl & Sully (pretty much outclassed by anyone in their same class)
- Gaius (he doesn't really excel at anything and there are now genuienly good Dagger user around)
- Henry (I don't even have to elaborate, right?)
- Niles (Innes made him utterly pointless. This man needs something)
- all Infantry Healers (even with the buffs Healers themselves aren't that great and the mounted ones are 9 out of 10 better)

Refinements:
- Roy (give this poor man a break; Binding Blade is the most worthless Legendary weapon and that's pretty sad)
- Eirika (double buffs are now a thing for everyone since both Hone Atk and Spd Seal exist; Ephraim got a good refinement so she should follow suit)
- Corrin (Siegbert called)
- Leo (since Eirika stole his spot as the (only) Red mage cavalier he would profit from a different niche)

Edited by Zeratul

Ok so... we're gonna go the distance here and name more than just the obvious units.

• Askr Trio - Obvious reasons.
  • Lillina - She has a generic tome, she's getting Forblaze, period.
  • Raigh - Sophia has a niche as the best Raven tome user. Raigh has nothing, he's not even the best with the tome he comes with. Give him Apocalypse.
  • Florina - As said give her Rex Hasta unless OsWIN is going to show up.
  • Rebecca - Reinfleche is perfect for her, she'll get it unless Rath shows up and who knows when that'll be. He'll probably have Short Bow+.
  • Roy - For the love of God give him Distant Counter or at least something.
  • Erika - She's officially obsolete, give her the treatment her already superior brother got and buff her weapon.
  •  M!Corrin - Seriously, Darting Blow 2? He's long overdue for an upgrade and he or Roy is probably next anyways.
  • Lloyd - His weapon gave pretty nice boost back when it came out, but it needs an upgrade at this point. There's little reason to use him over other swords, plus dat art.
  • Fir/Selena - I'm not entirely sure what you could give these two, but they need help. Fir more so, being a magic tank means nothing when you're a red and Rein exists.
  • Jakob - Flat out worst dagger, desperately needs a prf to save him.
  • Matthew - Rogue Dagger+ carves him out a niche, but he was in the same boat as Felicia, and unlike her, he can tank Phys as well as she tanks Mag.
  • Niles - He has access to merges, but otherwise he's been completely powercreeped by Innes and unlike him, has no ATK stat to speak of.
  • Odin - The single most deserving unit of a prf in the entire game, but honestly if a Blade+ can't save him, I don't know what can.
  • Bartre - He's got similar stats to B!Ike, but the latter has a lot more going for him. This man could really use a prf, with the right effects he could easily become top tier.
  • Sully - Terrible unit, tons of better options. Not much else to say.
  • Leo - In dire need of an improvement to his prf. Erika outclasses him, and even before that he wasn't particularly great. Even Gravity+ with a 2 space radius would be crazy and unique.
  • Shanna - A prime candidate for Maltet. She's a good unit, but inferior to Hinoka/Cordelia/Tana as an offensive unit and inferior to Clair/Florina as a magic tank.
  • Soren - A worse Nino in a nutshell. He really needs something to help him stand out because there's literally no reason to use him over her, and he fits in no other niche.
  • Robin(M/F) - Both act as the sole sources of their tomes, but M!Robin even as a TA Raven struggles to find a spot on teams and F!Robin has been rendered completely obsolete by Rhajat. As probably the most powerful unit from their native game, they both deserve a prf tome tailored to them specifically, whatever that may be.
  • Healers - Some prf staffs or healing effects would be nice to make particular units more appealing (Serra, Priscilla, Lachesis, Wrys, etc.)

@Jingle Jangle Athena functions perfectly well with a Wo Dao+, she's been outclassed by the best of the best but she's a perfectly great red sword unit in the scheme of things and better than more than half of the units in her color pool. Azura is a dancer with a Sapphire Lance+, she does everything she needs to do well already. Karel doesn't particularly need an upgrade, he's not premium anymore. What he needs is to be demoted from the exclusive *5 club. Ogma is a great Brave Sword+ user and an amazing Wo Dao+ user. No matter his prf, nothing will save him from his nonexistent RES stat regardless and that's what really holds him back.

Saber has a unique niche as a tanky defensive sword unit with his still very premium kit. Sheena is an amazing enemy phase tank already, she deserves a prf because of who she is, but as a unit she's fine. Camilla functions the same as Titania with an Emerald Axe+ set which is pretty great, she could have a prf because of who she is though. Oboro is a pretty fantastic enemy phase unit with investment already (particularly with Berkut's Lance+), Catria is a slightly inferior lance unit to the very best, but she's already got a pretty good statline and it's versatile so you can do a lot with her. An arguement could be made for Cain I'll admit since other red cavs have already powercreeped him indirectly and Luke directly powercreeps him.

The thing is I don't feel like every unit should have a prf. Yeah it makes them unique but does every single solitary unit need a prf weapon? It should make sense or they should deserve it. Otherwise giving units like Gunter and Jagen prfs... why? I just feel like it's unecessary to some extent if that makes sense. Some units are there primarily for certain things. Gunter and Jagen will always be useful for their cavalry buffs, you might want a Slaying or Silver refined weapon on certain units so they don't need the prf. Barst is a perfect example. Yeah Raven is way better than him now, but before that a Slaying Axe+ with a +SPD Barst was a pretty significant threat and a perfectly viable unit and comparable to Raven.

Then you have units like Ike, Ryoma, etc. Distant Counter is so potent they don't really need any improvements. They are perfectly good units on their own and probably will always be viable.

If I were to list the most prominent units in my opinion to have a prf or an upgrade they would be.

1. Askr Trio
  2. Roy
  3. M!Corrin
  4. Erika
  5. Soren
  6. Odin
  7. Lloyd
  8. Lillina
  9. Rebecca
  10. Raigh
  11. Jakob
  12. Bartre
  13. Henry
  14. Matthew
  15. M!Robin/F!Robin

There are characters I'd like to see given a chance or a prf because it makes them unique and the game more fun, but in the scheme of things it's probably just icing on the cake. Some characters already function perfectly will with specific builds or refined weapons, whereas others are simply beyond saving.

Edited by Zeo

4 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@Jingle Jangle Athena functions perfectly well with a Wo Dao+, she's been outclassed by the best of the best but she's a perfectly great red sword unit in the scheme of things and better than more than half of the units in her color pool. Azura is a dancer with a Sapphire Lance+, she does everything she needs to do well already. Karel doesn't particularly need an upgrade, he's not premium anymore. What he needs is to be demoted from the exclusive *5 club. Ogma is a great Brave Sword+ user and an amazing Wo Dao+ user. No matter his prf, nothing will save him from his nonexistent RES stat regardless and that's what really holds him back.

Saber has a unique niche as a tanky defensive sword unit with his still very premium kit. Sheena is an amazing enemy phase tank already, she deserves a prf because of who she is, but as a unit she's fine. Camilla functions the same as Titania with an Emerald Axe+ set which is pretty great, she could have a prf because of who she is though. Oboro is a pretty fantastic enemy phase unit with investment already (particularly with Berkut's Lance+), Catria is a slightly inferior lance unit to the very best, but she's already got a pretty good statline and it's versatile so you can do a lot with her. An arguement could be made for Cain I'll admit since other red cavs have already powercreeped him indirectly and Luke directly powercreeps him.

The reason I chose those characters is because if they are at 5*, they should bring something special other than a skill. Or get something that can make them stand out from the other units in the game and that they don't require heavy investment to keep up with the current banners.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

The Askr trio need it the most. They have gotten nothing since the game's release and really need an upgrade. Other characters can at least get merges and IVs.

Those 3 are tied to the story so I can only see them getting an upgrade when the story “requires” it kinda like how Mash Kyrielight gets her upgrades in FGO. 

As for other older characters thta could use a weapon upgrade...

- Narcian (the Rune Axe meme can actually become a thing)

- Lloyd

- Roy (Eckesachs got an upgrade so why not Roy?)

- Zephiel (yes he just got DD3 but maybe giving buffs to dragon lolis so keep up with the memes as the dragon loli loving man or himself getting buffs from them)

- Sophia

- Virion

- Draug

- Odin

- Seth

- Bartre

- M!Corrin

- Tobin

- Raigh

- Saizo

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Four actually, because Oliver also exists. Why he wasn’t given Nosferatu or a variant of it is beyond me.

Wouldn't that obsolete the Absorb Staff? WTD potentially yes, but WTA would be gained as well, and Specials could ratchet up the damage and the heal. Although Oliver's stats and the need for DC to full tank could keep this in check.

2 hours ago, r_n said:

Not sure what weapons in particular Jagen could get (maybe an original creation since the only big important Archanea lance I can think of is the Gradvius) but Gunter could get the Aurgelmir.

I'd just invent new weapons for them. For Jagen the Purest Silver Lance would sound good. Jagen is the first Jagen, and the first unit to ever join with a Silver weapon, the Silver Lance is the signature weapon of several Jagens, it'd be the ultimate testament to Jageness.

For Gunter, perhaps something named such that it references his Revelation manipulation by Anankos? (He was such a crappy boss for that battle, but he did have Dragonskin for damage halving.)

2 hours ago, Ildanach said:

Maybe the could give Oboro the Waterwheel?

Oboro had an Oboro's Spear in Fates. If Hinoka gets stuck with her own Hinoka's Spear, then Oboro deserves just the same. Arthur also had an Arthur's Axe.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Need in weapon upgrade:
Askrtrio
Roy
Ryoma
Camus
Xander
Hector
Leo
Vanilla Ike
LLoyd
Eirika
Lyon (even tough he was just released but his personal weapon is underwhelming)
Valter (get rid of the Fury hurting effect or bumpb +spd and +atk to 6 either one of those)
Arvis

Dont get me wrong i dont want to OP Distant Counter weapons, but the vanilla DC units need an upgrade, even if its in the Form of just +4 or 5 HP, it has become a glareing issue in that they cant use any form of HP based skill (Panic ploy etc) because the other units have higher HP due to the weapon refinement.

Units that are in dire need of a Personal weapon added:
The lower desirable healers: Azama, Wrys, Lachesis, Sakura, Lissa and Lucius
Kagero: her Poison dagger doesnt cut it anymore
Hawkeye: seriously i have no idea why he even exists anymore
Karel:
well basicly everyone that was in the game since release... Everyone that was added after the CYL banner is currently fine or has their niche.

I don't get why people are asking for any refines for Ike. Did people forget that both he and RD Ike use Ragnell? Whatever refinement Ragnell would get would be available to both of them, so if you give one Ike the refine, the other gets it too.

Edited by Anacybele

Rather than a particular character, I'd like to see Gem weapons get a refine upgrade, even if it's very minor, like +3HP, +2Def or something like that.  They never seemed overpowered to me, since they get the drawback of being weaker to WTD.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Rather than a particular character, I'd like to see Gem weapons get a refine upgrade, even if it's very minor, like +3HP, +2Def or something like that.  They never seemed overpowered to me, since they get the drawback of being weaker to WTD.

I think the thing is that most units fair rather poorly against type anyway, so gem weapons make them basically guaranteed to handle the type they're good at for the cost of being worse at something they were already ill-equipped to do.

9 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I don't get why people are asking for any refines for Ike. Did people forget that both he and RD Ike use Ragnell? Whatever refinement Ragnell would get would be available to both of them, so if you give one Ike the refine, the other gets it too.

That's true. Both Ragnells share the same assets. But perhaps they could program the refinement to ban Ragnells wielded by V!Ikes.

Edited by silveraura25

46 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Someone give me a reason to use Lachesis.  She's in the wrong class, with the wrong art, and IMO the worst staff in the game.

So true. Then again, Earth Sword wasn't that good in Genealogy (Thracia's one was the one that was dope). Though she could get the new prf treatment.

Edited by silveraura25

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

On that note, I'm genuinely surprised VIke didn't get some sort of Ragnell variant of his own, like "Imbued Ragnell" or something similar.

8 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

That's true. Both Ragnells share the same assets. But perhaps they could program the refinement to ban Ragnells wielded by V!Ikes.

I dunno, maybe.

3 hours ago, Raven said:

On that note, I'm genuinely surprised VIke didn't get some sort of Ragnell variant of his own, like "Imbued Ragnell" or something similar.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at that too, honestly. I mean, RD Ike got a slightly different Aether, so why not a slightly different Ragnell?

For those who already have legendary weapons

- Eirika

- Leo

-Lloyd 

-M!Corrin

-Roy

For those who don’t 

- Tiki (both versions work, I suppose, but I always thought it was weird that SD Tiki is locked to 5* yet doesn’t have a legendary weapon, instead opting for a generic silver weapon might breath. It’s only fair both get it though, but maybe like with the Falchions the breaths could have different effects. Not sure about a specific name though.)

- Berkut (blah blah blah the lance got an upgrade, so what. It’s not going to save him. Give him Kriemhild already)

- Lilina (She could really use Forblaze)

- F!Corrin (I always found it weird that female Corrin, the more popular one, is not only the one to be at 3/4 stars, but doesn’t even get a legendary weapon unlike her male counterpart.)

- Narcian (Nobody is ever going to use him over Michalis lol. Might as well give him a Rune axe)

- Katarina (Kinda biased here, but I do think the poster girl for New Mystery could do better than an owl tome. I know blades are a thing, but there should me more variety in magic than the copy/paste we have now.)

- Jakob (I don’t think I’ll use him even if he gets a new weapon, but he has nothing going for him right now honestly)

10 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Given what they did with Chrom and Lucina, my guess is it'd be a pain. I don't know how everything is setup so I'm just spitballing here, but my guess is to do that they'd need to introduce a new field denoting which "version" of the weapon it is which would then become a completely useless field on all weapons except the very few shared ones or they'd have to do a hot swap for all the existing Ikes to give him a new weapon that is identical to the current Ragnell, but a different object with a different unique key so then one or the other could be given a refinement option without affecting the other. Doing something to say only Ragnells tied to this version of a character in the scope of the refinery seems really fragile.

@Anacybele @Raven My guess is because there wouldn't be any difference. They seem very hesitant to give DC weapons any additional effects so giving V!Ike a new weapon would mean the only functional difference between the two versions is the name. Granted, I guess there is some precedence for that with all the pre-refinement Falchions which were essentially in the same boat but with a different sprite rather than a different name.

1 hour ago, SilvertheShadow said:

- Berkut (blah blah blah the lance got an upgrade, so what. It’s not going to save him. Give him Kriemhild already)

I don't mean to come off as a dick, but what effect would Kreimhild have that would improve Berkut?

Edited by bottlegnomes

1 hour ago, bottlegnomes said:

I don't mean to come off as a dick, but what effect would Kreimhild have that would improve Berkut?

Firstly dw you’re not being a dick, you’re just asking for reasoning.

Berkuts stats are great for all around tanking as well as pretty good attack. His only noticeable flaw is his atrocious speed so he’ll be doubled by nearly everyone. Let’s say Kreimhild has DC. This improves his options immensely because now he can deal with ranged units. If you slap on distant defense and quick reposte it also improves his matchup against mages who he’s otherwise defenseless against. This isn’t even counting the idea if Kreimhild gets a second effect. Now would he become a top tier unit with this single addition? Nah, his speed still hurts him a lot, but he’d be higher up there at least.

3 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Firstly dw you’re not being a dick, you’re just asking for reasoning.

Berkuts stats are great for all around tanking as well as pretty good attack. His only noticeable flaw is his atrocious speed so he’ll be doubled by nearly everyone. Let’s say Kreimhild has DC. This improves his options immensely because now he can deal with ranged units. If you slap on distant defense and quick reposte it also improves his matchup against mages who he’s otherwise defenseless against. This isn’t even counting the idea if Kreimhild gets a second effect. Now would he become a top tier unit with this single addition? Nah, his speed still hurts him a lot, but he’d be higher up there at least.

I can definitely agree that for the average player DC might be nice since it would open up his options, but in the grand scheme of things, all it really does is change what A skill Bekut equips, if you had all the skills in the world.

Currently his ideal build is something like this:

Weapon: BL+ def/res
A: DC
B: QR3
SS: DD3

I left off the others because they really aren't important to his own functioning.

Granted DC is rare, so a budget option could be DD3 (also very rare) or Water Boost which activates against every neutral mage, and at most 5 with +HP and a refine.

With a DC weapon his ideal set would be:

Weapon: Kreimhild
A: DD3/Water Boost 3
B: QR3
SS: DD3

If he had a DC weapon, they'd almost certainly not give him a special effect, and he'd lose his refinery option. So for a side-by-side (def and res include all potential skill bonuses and DD3 SS is always assumed):

BL+/DC (def):    48/48/22/41/37
BL+/DC (res):    48/48/22/37/41
BL+/WB3 (def): 48/48/22/41/43
BL+/WB3 (res): 48/48/22/37/47
BL+/DD3 (def):  48/48/22/47/43
BL+/DD3 (res):  48/48/22/43/47
------------------------------------------------------
Kreimhild/DD3:  43/50/22/43/36
Kreimhild/WB3: 43/50/22/37/36

So basically, he gets 2 more attack at the cost of 5 HP, you need a different slightly less rare A skill, and no longer have the option to go super tank with both def and res being over 40.

All this said, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain about Kreimhild since I think it looks sweet and another DC user would be cool since I'm not swimming in Hectors to fodder off, but all it does is make the ideal Berkut more accessible rather than actually improving him. I guess if that's all people are wanting, then that makes sense, but the way I've seen people talk about it is that it would somehow improve him significantly. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting people's thoughts though.

Mind, I'm also of the opinion that Berkut isn't nearly as bad as most people make him out to be.

Edited by bottlegnomes

The reason Yato needs a refinement is not because Dark Greatsword has a strictly better effect than it. It's because Corrin is a mediocre unit.

Yato is never in direct competition for a weapon slot with Dark Greatsword because they are both locked to their respective characters. They are incomparable with each other except in a hypothetical sense, and that hypothetical situation is not relevant for actual gameplay.

A weapon with 16 Mt, +10 to all stats, Litrblade effect, and Close/Distant Counter built in might outclass nearly every weapon in the game when compared in a vacuum, but is a pile of junk if it's locked to an infantry character with level-40 stats of 10 across the board and would deserve a buff despite being "the best weapon in the game". This unit (20/36/20/20/20) would literally be worse than Odin (43/35/32/25/25) except for the fact that Close Counter would be built in and they wouldn't have the +1 to the maximum special cooldown.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:12 AM, silveraura25 said:

The reason the Falchions got different refinements is because they were different skills to begin with that happened to share the same display name (because that's the easiest way to give them different battle sprites without character-specific coding that can become a maintenance nightmare).

They really have only two options to give Legendary Ike a different weapon:

1. Give him (or regular Ike) the same means of upgrading Ragnell to different-Ragnell that Raven, Felicia, Hinoka, and all staff users had to get their new skills. This would be the easier of the two ways, but this would basically require players to pay the SP cost to get the new weapon.
  2. Go down for maintenance and run a batch job to go through every player's accounts and remove the Ragnell skill from every Legendary Ike (or regular Ike) and replace it with an already learned different-Ragnell. If the old Ragnell was equipped, also automatically equip different-Ragnell.

Both of the options are kind of bleh.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:06 PM, bottlegnomes said:

Mind, I'm also of the opinion that Berkut isn't nearly as bad as most people make him out to be.

Most people don't have access to a spare Distant Counter, which is what really makes him not bad. He's pretty much the best mixed wall that blue cavalry has to offer.

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Most people don't have access to a spare Distant Counter, which is what really makes him not bad. He's pretty much the best mixed wall that blue cavalry has to offer.

Oh, I know; I certainly don't. That's why I included the numbers with water boost, since it's far and away the most likely to be equipped. Even without distant counter, I don't think he's as atrocious as people seem to make him out to be. Heck, he's got more of a niche than any other cav save Camus, whose really only niche is being a mixed phase cav due built-in DC, fairly decent physical bulk, and (this is key here versus Kreimhild Berkut) actually halfway decent speed with skills and buffs.

With a different A skill, Berkut can be a worse B!Ike to some extent. Physical enemies get QRed, ranged enemies don't do much, and then he can deal with them next turn. Heck, for me in the most recent TT, he had about the same survival rate as L!Ike with DD and BK with CD, and that was just with the WB3 and +def, not even the DD3 seal.

Anyway, I'm ranting at this point, and it's not really even that important a topic.

Also, what are you talking about? Summer Xander best blue cav wall <_<

On a side note, I just realized Camus has the highest BST of any blue cav.

12 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Also, what are you talking about? Summer Xander best blue cav wall <_<

Walls in this game should be pointy and deal damage back, and Summer Xander has this thing where he's very wall, but not very pointy.

Roy. At LEAST give him Distant Counter already! The poor guy has one of the most awesome legendary blades in the series, and Heroes has totally squandered it.

Rebecca: Give her Rienfleche. Rath will probably get Short Bow if/when he's added to the game, and while I'd love Wil to get an awesome weapon if/when he's ever added to the game, I feel like Rebecca really needs the upgrade more.

Florina: Give her Rex Hasta. I'd alternatively love it if Fiora were added to the game equipped with Rex Hasta, but with the way they've beefed up new units, I feel like she'll be powerful enough so Florina can have it.

Eirika: Give her some upgrade to her weapon like Marth got. I dunno what, but something.