Alms personality compared to gaiden.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah. In Kaga emblem, there were way too many issues with dragons and humans ever having interrelationships. Perhaps eventually there could have been. But you know Kaga, he loves to also make sure that love hurts a lot. Palla loves Abel, Abel loves Est. Est loves Abel, but abandons him out of guilt for what happens in FE3/12. Nyna and Camus loves each other, but Camus couldn't return it despite wanting to, then lost his memories and fell for another woman.

Hell, Tiki is implied to have been in love with Marth, but that was never gonna happen.

He made Marth x Sheeda, Alm x Celica, and Leif x Nanna work though. Tearring Saga has some nice romances too. 

I though Tiki's affection was more of a crush than love. 

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

LOLXD You knew I was gonna bring that up. But that's the only time that mounted wyverns are mentioned to be able to breathe fire.

Too bad they never incorporated that into an in game ability. Another chance missed.....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Køkø said:

He made Marth x Sheeda, Alm x Celica, and Leif x Nanna work though. Tearring Saga has some nice romances too. 

I though Tiki's affection was more of a crush than love. 

Yes, some are good. 

It would have to be a crush at first, but I think given how much affection she still has for him by Awakening, I think it can be said that it was love for him. 

26 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Too bad they never incorporated that into an in game ability. Another chance missed.....

I mean, it would be a weird feature to have honestly. Breathing fire when the human wields an axe?

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I mean, it would be a weird feature to have honestly. Breathing fire when the human wields an axe?

Something off the top. It could work like the mastery skills do in FE10 by dealing 3x damage.

Or cast Bolganone or a unique fire spell in addition to the unit's attack when proc'd.   

Maybe even give wyvern riders a fiery ranged attack.

1 minute ago, Køkø said:

Something off the top. It could work like the mastery skills do in FE10 by dealing 3x damage.

Or cast Bolganone or a unique fire spell in addition to the unit's attack when proc'd.   

Maybe even give wyvern riders a fiery ranged attack.

That would be interesting actually. I mean, Manaketes have dragonstones and turn into dragons. But why not have a particular wyvern class where it has axe and dragonstone or something, where the dragon actually can attack instead of the human on it.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

That would be interesting actually. I mean, Manaketes have dragonstones and turn into dragons. But why not have a particular wyvern class where it has axe and dragonstone or something, where the dragon actually can attack instead of the human on it.

That seems like a interesting thought. Though I think its fine to keep them how they are to keep them separated from dragon units tbh.

8 hours ago, RJWalker said:

Alm is nearly identical in Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia, thankfully. Almost all of his lines are nearly identical as well. Awakening had a rather poor mischaracterization of him that I do not like at all.

Blessed comment

On 2/24/2018 at 9:10 AM, RJWalker said:

Alm is nearly identical in Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia, thankfully. Almost all of his lines are nearly identical as well. Awakening had a rather poor mischaracterization of him that I do not like at all.

This. I feel like a lot of people take the 'Don't worry Celica I'll crush these bastards!' line way too seriously. Same with Awakening, where I think take that line way too seriously as well.

8 hours ago, Azz said:

This. I feel like a lot of people take the 'Don't worry Celica I'll crush these bastards!' line way too seriously. Same with Awakening, where I think take that line way too seriously as well.

I think for a lot of people, myself included, it more had to do with the interpretation of his character in Awakening being incredibly more interesting and engaging then what we got rather than it being unfaithful to the original. I kind of got my hopes up for one of the most unique lords in the series and what we got was Marth 9.0 and ironically a worse character than Marth 1.0.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:10 AM, RJWalker said:

I'll be honest, the more violent-like personality that embodied Duma more was way more interesting. It was a character that had a lot of potential to actually develop. 

12 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I'll be honest, the more violent-like personality that embodied Duma more was way more interesting. It was a character that had a lot of potential to actually develop. 

That incorrect personality also completely misses the point of Alm's character.

8 minutes ago, RJWalker said:

That incorrect personality also completely misses the point of Alm's character.

Does it? The story of Gaiden is how Duma was focused on power, and Mila was focused on love, and how being so deep into that has caused the two nations they rule to be headed towards ruination. 

Alm embodying Duma's teachings, seeking power and Celica wanting to seek a move peaceful way to end the war, thus taking on Mila's teachings. But these teachings on their own would lead to their own ruination. Alm ends up killing his own father, and Celica ends up walking right into a trap where she will be offered. However, with the two joining together, Alm and Celica took each other's advices and ultimately found a middle ground, making them different from Duma and Mila. 

I believe that was the intent of the story they had. 

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Does it? The story of Gaiden is how Duma was focused on power, and Mila was focused on love, and how being so deep into that has caused the two nations they rule to be headed towards ruination. 

Alm embodying Duma's teachings, seeking power and Celica wanting to seek a move peaceful way to end the war, thus taking on Mila's teachings. But these teachings on their own would lead to their own ruination. Alm ends up killing his own father, and Celica ends up walking right into a trap where she will be offered. However, with the two joining together, Alm and Celica took each other's advices and ultimately found a middle ground, making them different from Duma and Mila. 

I believe that was the intent of the story they had. 

No, Alm represents the best of Mila and Duma's philosophies. He's a Reglian who has been raised in Zofia by a former Rigelian AND Zofian knight. To portray him as purely a representation of Duma's philosophy completely misses the point, that how you were raised matters more than your heritage.

Alm never sought power. Him killing his father is not a result of Alm following Duma's principles. It's the result of Rudolf following Duma's principles. And in the original Gaiden, Duma is part of the plan anyway. He and Rudolf recognize where Duma and Mila went wrong and Duma gives Rudolf the Falchion to set things right.

1 minute ago, RJWalker said:

No, Alm represents the best of Mila and Duma's philosophies. He's a Reglian who has been raised in Zofia by a former Rigelian AND Zofian knight. To portray him as purely a representation of Duma's philosophy completely misses the point, that how you were raised matters more than your heritage.

Alm never sought power. Him killing his father is not a result of Alm following Duma's principles. It's the result of Rudolf following Duma's principles. And in the original Gaiden, Duma is part of the plan anyway. He and Rudolf recognize where Duma and Mila went wrong and Duma gives Rudolf the Falchion to set things right.

See, that's where I feel it just doesn't work. It just makes Alm the same as every other Lord. Or rather, makes him much like Marth, Seliph, etc. That lacking in compassion for the most part and thus representing Duma's ideals, but learning compassion I feel would have made for a much better representation of how Alm should have been. 

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

See, that's where I feel it just doesn't work. It just makes Alm the same as every other Lord. Or rather, makes him much like Marth, Seliph, etc. That lacking in compassion for the most part and thus representing Duma's ideals, but learning compassion I feel would have made for a much better representation of how Alm should have been. 

Alm is only the second protagonist in the series so him being too similar to every other protagonist that followed is not a valid point. And a remake completely reinventing the personalities from the original and missing the point entirely is something I do appreciate not at all. Awakening Alm was a travesty. Good riddance, I say.

Edited by RJWalker

1 hour ago, RJWalker said:

Alm is only the second protagonist in the series so him being too similar to every other protagonist that followed is not a valid point. And a remake completely reinventing the personalities from the original and missing the point entirely is something I do appreciate not at all. Awakening Alm was a travesty. Good riddance, I say.

How is making a deeper character a travesty. Marth essentially had no personality in FE 1 and was given more of a character in FE 3 book 2 with how he now was being affected by the events going on around him and FE 11 went and gave him a actual character arc in his original story that helped to make him more compelling of a lead. Alm staying so bland and uninteresting for the sake of keeping him consistent with his limited characterization within a famicom game sounds like one of the most laughable decisions they could have made to make him into someone people would actually care about.

2 hours ago, RJWalker said:

I think it just comes to a difference of opinion here. So in regards to this, let us agree to disagree.

49 minutes ago, Modamy said:

How is making a deeper character a travesty. Marth essentially had no personality in FE 1 and was given more of a character in FE 3 book 2 with how he now was being affected by the events going on around him and FE 11 went and gave him a actual character arc in his original story that helped to make him more compelling of a lead. Alm staying so bland and uninteresting for the sake of keeping him consistent with his limited characterization within a famicom game sounds like one of the most laughable decisions they could have made to make him into someone people would actually care about.

Making him a completely different character that misses the point of the original is not 'making a deeper character'.

Never mind that making Alm a brutal character that supposedly represents Duma'a philosophy is not adding to his character, but rather subtracting Ann's making him a lesser character. Alm is supposed to represent the best of Mila and Duma as he is Rigelian raised in Zofia by a person who has the perspective of both as well as the knowledge of the coming events. It makes no fucking sense why Alm would be a power hungry reckless idiot that some apparently want him to be. If he was, then that would mean Mycen completely fucked up in raising Alm.

That's why Awakening Alm is awful. Not because they're 'making a deeper character' but because they're making him lesser. They're reducing him to a stereotype of Duma's philosophy completely forgetting that he had no reason to act that way considering his upbringing, i.e., they completely missed the point. I'm glad that SoV's writers weren't so amateurish to make that same awful mistake.

FE11 Marth is not missing point of Marth's character. That's why what it added was good.

Edited by RJWalker

7 hours ago, RJWalker said:

Making him a completely different character that misses the point of the original is not 'making a deeper character'.

Never mind that making Alm a brutal character that supposedly represents Duma'a philosophy is not adding to his character, but rather subtracting Ann's making him a lesser character. Alm is supposed to represent the best of Mila and Duma as he is Rigelian raised in Zofia by a person who has the perspective of both as well as the knowledge of the coming events. It makes no fucking sense why Alm would be a power hungry reckless idiot that some apparently want him to be. If he was, then that would mean Mycen completely fucked up in raising Alm.

That's why Awakening Alm is awful. Not because they're 'making a deeper character' but because they're making him lesser. They're reducing him to a stereotype of Duma's philosophy completely forgetting that he had no reason to act that way considering his upbringing, i.e., they completely missed the point. I'm glad that SoV's writers weren't so amateurish to make that same awful mistake.

FE11 Marth is not missing point of Marth's character. That's why what it added was good.

Sorry, kind of just ignored this thread for a while and didn't think about responding.

Was it really the point to make Alm perfect at everything and making everyone else including Celica inadequate in comparison (although Celica's not just bad because Alm's better than her) if that's the case that still sounds really boring and not engaging. The interpretation of Alm's character in Awakening is meant to be a pragmatist, he understood Zofia's position and that fighting back was the only course of action they could take or else they would have been conquered by Rigel. He wasn't a bloodthirsty savage who only wanted to fight or some power monger who wanted to take over the throne. His dialogue only implies that he was a realist who knew that there was no way you could just sit down and talk with the Rigelians and get them to leave Zofia. What was needed was brute force to show them they couldn't just walk all over Zofians. Awakening Alm being a pragmatist doesn't mean he's lacking in compassion it only means he knows when to offer someone his hand in an offer of peace or his sword in a show of strength. The only representation of Mila's ideals that Alm shows in SoV is the fact that he's not a jerk it's not really a part of his character that is explored otherwise. As for how Mycen raised him, The only thing we know is that Alm was trained in military strategy and swordsmanship. We can assume they were a loving family because of their support conversation, but otherwise who knows.

FE 11 Marth isn't missing the point of Marth's character because there is no point to Marth's character. Marth in FE 1 was basically just a player avatar with no real personality and FE 11 gave him one. It was good because it was just well handled. Keeping Alm similar to his famicom portrayal just means he's limited and nothing is actually done with him. I mean Clive, from the same game, has had a massive update to his character, which had less of a point than Alm's and he's probably the one of the best characters in SoV.

21 hours ago, Modamy said:

Sorry, kind of just ignored this thread for a while and didn't think about responding.

Was it really the point to make Alm perfect at everything and making everyone else including Celica inadequate in comparison (although Celica's not just bad because Alm's better than her) if that's the case that still sounds really boring and not engaging. The interpretation of Alm's character in Awakening is meant to be a pragmatist, he understood Zofia's position and that fighting back was the only course of action they could take or else they would have been conquered by Rigel. He wasn't a bloodthirsty savage who only wanted to fight or some power monger who wanted to take over the throne. His dialogue only implies that he was a realist who knew that there was no way you could just sit down and talk with the Rigelians and get them to leave Zofia. What was needed was brute force to show them they couldn't just walk all over Zofians. Awakening Alm being a pragmatist doesn't mean he's lacking in compassion it only means he knows when to offer someone his hand in an offer of peace or his sword in a show of strength. The only representation of Mila's ideals that Alm shows in SoV is the fact that he's not a jerk it's not really a part of his character that is explored otherwise. As for how Mycen raised him, The only thing we know is that Alm was trained in military strategy and swordsmanship. We can assume they were a loving family because of their support conversation, but otherwise who knows.

FE 11 Marth isn't missing the point of Marth's character because there is no point to Marth's character. Marth in FE 1 was basically just a player avatar with no real personality and FE 11 gave him one. It was good because it was just well handled. Keeping Alm similar to his famicom portrayal just means he's limited and nothing is actually done with him. I mean Clive, from the same game, has had a massive update to his character, which had less of a point than Alm's and he's probably the one of the best characters in SoV.

You pretty much just described Alm in Echoes. Honestly the more I look into it, the less difference I see between FEA Alm and SOV Alm. The only thing out of place is his 'How do you compassionately stab someone?' line, but literally everything you described is Alm's character in SOV.

4 hours ago, Azz said:

You pretty much just described Alm in Echoes. Honestly the more I look into it, the less difference I see between FEA Alm and SOV Alm. The only thing out of place is his 'How do you compassionately stab someone?' line, but literally everything you described is Alm's character in SOV.

The problem with Alm in SoV is that he's the perfect golden boy and that ends up hurting the themes that the game tries to emphasize like an equality between nobility and commoners as well as the dichotomy between him and Celica. Alm being perfect and better than everyone at everything just kind of ruins everything that the story is attempting.

7 hours ago, Modamy said:

The problem with Alm in SoV is that he's the perfect golden boy and that ends up hurting the themes that the game tries to emphasize like an equality between nobility and commoners as well as the dichotomy between him and Celica. Alm being perfect and better than everyone at everything just kind of ruins everything that the story is attempting.

But the theme was never Duma vs Mila, not even in Gaiden. It was always Power of the People vs Power of Gods. At the end of the day, that is what the story s about, as long as the people of Valentia stick together and help one another, they don't need to rely on the Gods. That's literally Celica's arc as a character and the overall arc of the game.

I will admit the whole 'Commoners vs Nobility' thing was a bit weird but it worked and played into Alm's arc. Yes he was the prince of Regel, but no one knew that (In game at least, it was pretty obvious), yet he still lead the Delieverance when people presumed he was only a commoner. It didn't matter what his station of birth was

Duma vs Mila was never a theme in the games since at the end of the day, both gods were bad for their people. Mila made her people sot and weak cause she spoiled them while Duma made his people to hard and tough to the point they had little emotion and practically starved in the barren waste land they called a home. You could never have a which God is better theme because it wouldn't make sense.

Yes Alm is perfect, I wont deny that. Personally I don't have the biggest problem with it since he's a IMO, a great character to follow especially compared to Corrin who is extremely flawed and weak yet still gets praised for their flaws and never learn and develop from them. But as @RJWalker said, (In the How to Fix SoV's Story) no one wants a flawed protagonist. Imagine if Alm did have a fatal flaw, I would imagine many people picking him apart because of it saying he is a shit protagonist like they do with Celica, who is, IMO, a very human character who does things the way anyone would do in her situation who doesn't know much (The only reason people criticise Celica is because she follows Jedah who is obviously evil to us not her. As far as she is concerned, like she has the best intentions for MIla, he has for Duma). And if Alm is perfect, so is literally every other male FE lord (Withe an exception to maybe Leif).

8 hours ago, Azz said:

But the theme was never Duma vs Mila, not even in Gaiden. It was always Power of the People vs Power of Gods. At the end of the day, that is what the story s about, as long as the people of Valentia stick together and help one another, they don't need to rely on the Gods. That's literally Celica's arc as a character and the overall arc of the game.

Wasn't the theme of the game supposed to be the joining of two conflicting ideals. I mean yeah, the game was terrible at it but isn't that the theme the original Gaiden was going for. It wouldn't make sense for it to be men vs gods when the primary antagonists of the game are men. Duma's madness is one of the major contributors to starting the conflict as well as Duma being the final boss, but he was hardly the main antagonist. It's similar to how Nergal is the main antagonist of FE 7, but the fire dragon is the final boss or how Medeus is the final boss of FE 1,3,11,and 12 but the real antagonist is Garnhef.

8 hours ago, Azz said:

I will admit the whole 'Commoners vs Nobility' thing was a bit weird but it worked and played into Alm's arc. Yes he was the prince of Regel, but no one knew that (In game at least, it was pretty obvious), yet he still lead the Delieverance when people presumed he was only a commoner. It didn't matter what his station of birth was

How did it play into Alm's arc? his part of the story put a focus on the idea of nobility and difference between nobles and commoners. Alm constantly tries to say that there is no difference between nobles and commoners but he's secretly a prince and everyone constantly points out how much better Alm is at everything in comparison to everyone else. His very character contradicts his message.

8 hours ago, Azz said:

Duma vs Mila was never a theme in the games since at the end of the day, both gods were bad for their people. Mila made her people sot and weak cause she spoiled them while Duma made his people to hard and tough to the point they had little emotion and practically starved in the barren waste land they called a home. You could never have a which God is better theme because it wouldn't make sense.

I never meant to imply that Duma vs Mila was the theme of the game. Duma and Mila are a brother and sister who had deifferent beliefs and ideals about how humans should be handled and because of that went their separate ways despite caring for one another. The point of the story was supposed to be two characters who represented their ideals coming together to find the middle ground that they did not and making a better world for themselves with that new ideology.

8 hours ago, Azz said:

Yes Alm is perfect, I wont deny that. Personally I don't have the biggest problem with it since he's a IMO, a great character to follow especially compared to Corrin who is extremely flawed and weak yet still gets praised for their flaws and never learn and develop from them. But as @RJWalker said, (In the How to Fix SoV's Story) no one wants a flawed protagonist. Imagine if Alm did have a fatal flaw, I would imagine many people picking him apart because of it saying he is a shit protagonist like they do with Celica, who is, IMO, a very human character who does things the way anyone would do in her situation who doesn't know much (The only reason people criticise Celica is because she follows Jedah who is obviously evil to us not her. As far as she is concerned, like she has the best intentions for MIla, he has for Duma). And if Alm is perfect, so is literally every other male FE lord (Withe an exception to maybe Leif).

I admit that Alm is very likable (although I creedit that more to his fantastic voice actor), but he's not a well handled character in this story. Corrin's a mess of a character that's trying to be an avatar and his own character at the same time and because of the developers refusal to let the player's feelings get hurt when their avatar is called out for being an idiot Corrin is free to do stupid thing after stupid thing and receive no consequences for any of his actions.

When it comes to flawed characters in order for them to actual feel like people they need to be flawed. Everyone has flaws and it comes from our life experiences, beliefs, etc. We all have reasons for the way we are and don't always do the best thing in every situation, we can't be good at everything. What makes a flawed character good is when we are given every reason to understand their flaws. We may not like or agree with their choices but we can understand them because we don't share their experiences, we have a different perspective from them. I think my favorite instance of a well-written flawed character in recent memory in Killmonger from the recent Black Panther film. who is obviously a villain that we shouldn't agree with, but his experiences and his arguments for his point make you stop and think. He was a good character because while he was wrong you could see why he held his particular beliefs (maybe I'll talk about him in more detail in a different post).

Alm having no flaws is what makes me unable to relate to him for most of the game. I understand why he wants to leave his village; he makes it clears he doesn't want his whole life to just be Ram village. I understand why he comforts Berkut when he's dying; he shows early on that he feels lonely because of his small family and some distance from Mycen and now he knows who his blood family is and they are dying, he wanted to be with them despite them previously being enemies. Those parts of Alm's character are actually decent, but his being so perfect at all other times hurts the themes of his game and hurts the characters he interacts with.

Celica's a pretty bad character as well because despite being so flawed there's no real reasons we are given for those flaws. They just come across as contrivances for the story to move in a certain direction, like when Alm and Celica split up after meeting in part 2 and when she flat out ignores her friends and her brother when they ask her not to trust Jedah or to sacrifice herself. She just comes across as a selfish idiot who only causes trouble for others.

23 minutes ago, Modamy said:

Wasn't the theme of the game supposed to be the joining of two conflicting ideals. I mean yeah, the game was terrible at it but isn't that the theme the original Gaiden was going for. It wouldn't make sense for it to be men vs gods when the primary antagonists of the game are men. Duma's madness is one of the major contributors to starting the conflict as well as Duma being the final boss, but he was hardly the main antagonist. It's similar to how Nergal is the main antagonist of FE 7, but the fire dragon is the final boss or how Medeus is the final boss of FE 1,3,11,and 12 but the real antagonist is Garnhef.

9 hours ago, Azz said:

We have very little dialogue to go by, but Doma's death quote certainly supports @Modamy

Doma:
That should be enough…
Hero Alm. I entrust everything to you.
Inherit the will of us siblings and govern this land…
Carrying both the strength of Doma as well as the love of Mila, guide the people justly
You must not repeat the same mistakes we committed.
You must never again disturb our slumber… 

3 hours ago, Køkø said:

We have very little dialogue to go by, but Doma's death quote certainly supports @Modamy

Doma:
That should be enough…
Hero Alm. I entrust everything to you.
Inherit the will of us siblings and govern this land…
Carrying both the strength of Doma as well as the love of Mila, guide the people justly
You must not repeat the same mistakes we committed.
You must never again disturb our slumber… 

Two lines out of context does not an overarching theme make. Mycen, much like in SoV, outright says at the end of Chapter 4 that the issue is that the gods came in, divided North and South and started meddling in the affairs of humans directly:

Mycen:
Don’t cry, Alm…
This is something I also wished to tell you before. It was due to the gods that this land Valencia came to be divided into North and South.
And in doing so they mistakenly involved themselves too deeply with the concerns of mankind.
As a result, the people of Sofia forgot the meaning of toil, and the people of Rigel forgot the meaning of leisure.
As things were, we would all certainly come to ruin.

All of Valentia's issues in Gaiden can be traced back to the gods meddling in human affairs, and in both Gaiden and SoV Duma and Mila's teachings are both shown to be wrong in their own ways (Duma's encourages cruelty and heartlessness, Mila's encourages corruption and hedonism). Duma is telling Alm to pick and choose the best from their philosophies while also not repeating their mistakes, not to bring their two (very flawed) philosophies together. The SoV translation makes this more clear:

Duma: So be it, Alm. I leave Valentia’s future to you, her hero. Take from us what lessons you will and shape her into a land to remember. Make her strong like Duma, and fill her with Mila’s love. Let our grave mistakes be warnings of where not to tread as you lead her forth. Now, we shall sleep. And never shall you disturb our slumber.

Much like the whole more aggressive Alm thing, the idea that Gaiden and SoV are supposed to be about two conflicting ideologies coming together is based entirely on misinformation.