Space ship shooters | shoot 'em ups | bullet hells!

Ronnie

Let's talk about this classic arcade genre. Anyone else like it? Played any games that snuck in this genre?

The first "shoot 'em up" I played as a kid was Galaga. Then I played 2 games that snuck in shoot 'em up sequences in them: Kirby's Epic Yarn and Nier Automata. Much like other arcade type genres like beat 'em ups, I find them pretty fun in short bursts. I recently discovered Otomedius Excellent on 360 which is a Gradius spin off with anime girls. My kind of game!

16 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Ikaruga is the best

and if Mark Bussler ever reads this, yes, it beats Truxton 

I knew you were a Lord Karnage fan! The name says it all. Him and Metal Jesus introduced me to a lot of cool shooters.

My favorites

1943: Battle for Midway

Dodonpachi Black Label

Thunder Force 3 to 5

R-Type

Sometimes I go through the random shooters bundled on the Capcom Classics Compilations, just because they're short. Forgotten Worlds and the other 194X are probbably the main ones. More frequently I'll go through the shooters bundled on the Midway Williams Arcade Treasure Compilations. Sinistar and Defender being the main ones. 

I love me a good shmup once in a while. The first one I played was the Windows version of Asteroids. Next came Galaga and Bosconian, thanks to the advent of Namco Museum compilations. Later I downloaded 3D Classics: Twinbee for my 3DS to relive memories of playing it on a famiclone. I've also played Dragon Spirit, 1943 and Alpha Mission/ASO in arcades at least once, though these were a long time ago when me and my family actually went on trips for summer vacation. ...Oh, and I've played a Flash remake of Raiden II. Pretty good.

Along with those, I used to play an online shoot 'em up MMO (if you can believe such a thing exists) called Astroflux. I was even a moderator, too. Haven't played it for about a year because of a few factors that diminished my incentive to keep playing. The various ship stat and weapon balance is horribly out of whack; the game flow and difficulty takes a huge spike once you gain access to the red star systems in the Rapir quadrant; and there are/were certain trolls that would never let up which basically killed all the fun for everyone else just trying to play the game. Even the mods and devs could not seem to remedy the situation (I tried. Bless my soul, I tried......). It's a real damned shame, because I would otherwise recommend giving the game a try. If you do decide to try it, please tread with extreme caution and with a grain of salt. You will need it.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I knew you were a Lord Karnage fan! The name says it all. Him and Metal Jesus introduced me to a lot of cool shooters.

sucks he went to only publishing on Amazon vod and Patreon

but no, Karnage came from my Halo Reach days

Edited by Captain Karnage

On 2/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Ronnie said:

Patiently waiting for @Zera to talk about Bangai-O HD in this way too relevant thread.

Yes, yes, the Bangai-O series are the strongest shmups you can get for $10.
Watching footage should immediately tell you if you'll enjoy it.
Each missile is like a tiny fragment of fun!
If you want a more traditional, score-based shmup, Sin & Punishment 2 is the best the genre has to offer.

On 2/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, Stroud said:

Mushihime Sama, Dodonpachi Ressurection and Bullet Soul. 
I play them occasionally but these games make me feel like I'm really bad at games D=.
Maybe I should try some who are not Bullet Hell D=.

I wanna say RefleX give a try. There's a shield mechanic that's used as a score multiplier(and keeping you alive), and it does get kinda crazy, but it's not "CAVE" levels of bullet hell.

As for the thread, I see Bangai-O, but I dunno about playing it... you know.

Also RefleX is pretty godlike.
Ikaruga was amazing.... and amazingly difficult.
Dabbled in Sine Mora, but never got around to a full run
Crimzon Clover was cool too
Ether Vapor was good

Hmmm, I've actually played quite a bit of shmups, but... listing them all...

On ‎19‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 3:25 AM, Soledai said:

I wanna say RefleX give a try. There's a shield mechanic that's used as a score multiplier(and keeping you alive), and it does get kinda crazy, but it's not "CAVE" levels of bullet hell.

I will look into RefleX. I don't mind Bullet Hells and their difficulty, but for starters I really think it is good to play games which are a bit more forgiving. If I get better I can still try more difficult games. 

Edited by Stroud