How did you get your first FE game, and what was it?

Ephera

Only asking this because my introduction to Fire Emblem was "accidentally" stealing Blazing Sword off a friend just before he moved away in primary school. Wondering if there are any other silly stories of everyone's "firsts".

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, like many Americans, discovered Marth in Melee and eventually Fire Emblem. However I never really cared for the series even after liking the character. Years later on Youtube, I found a lot of FE Awakening videos crawling around. I remember watching the trailers, avatar customization, and reviews. I went to Amazon and bought myself a copy.

Edited by Ronnie

Blazing Sword. Saw an ad for it in the back of a pamphlet that came with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. And then again in the back of a pamphlet that came with the GBA version of ALttP.  Recognized the title from Smash, and wanted to get it.

I walked into *I think* BestBuy and pestered my mom and dad until they bought it. 

And it shaped me into the man you see today. You can thank my parents. 

Edited by Slumber

Aside from Smash my friends owned a copy of Radiant Dawn, but we didn't really understand how FE worked (and we were wondering where Marth and Ike were) so we didn't think much of it at the time.

A few years later I read about Awakening on a Nintendo news site and thought it was neat. I was going on vacation soon so I wanted to get it before I left, but Awakening was suffering some stock issues at the time so it was difficult to find. Fortunately one copy mysteriously appeared at a nearby store the day before I left and I spent most of the vacation playing it, so now I have to suffer as a FE fan for all eternity.

I also ended up introducing my aforementioned friends to Awakening afterwards, where I accidentally erased my main save file and got it back via a mid-battle save.

I got interested because of the promotion they were doing with Shin Megami Tensei IV and Awakening where you got $30 of eshop credit. Since I had nothing else to play on my 3DS at the time I figured "why not? worst case scenario I just sell both games and keep the eshop credit". I was very surprised to actually enjoy both games as much as I did, so it worked out perfectly.

My first Fire Emblem game I got was Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. I got it from my uncle, who gave me a sweet collection of game boy games, including other titles. I played through the game and almost cried that I had found a game other than uncharted that actually had a good story, and actually cried when I killed the second to last boss (for fear of spoilers I won't say who it is). It is the game I grew up with and will always hold a place in my heart as one of my favorites, along with Awakening and Fates (I have not had that much diversion into the FE games, but they're still good). If I hadn't gotten that cartridge (things of the past now) I wouldn't have even discovered the series, even until now. I have SS and my uncle to thank for my ravaging addiction to the series. *Cries due to longing bouts of Nostalgia for FE SS*

I first saw Roy and Marth in Smash, and Roy was my favorite character to play as, but I didn't really know what Fire Emblem was. Then I was at walmart with my grandparents and I was looking at the video games and I saw Blazing Blade. As a 7 year old boy I thought the sword and axe on the box art was cool looking so I asked my grandma to buy it for me and she did. Then I played it and really enjoyed it. It was my favorite game to play during long car rides.

I think I first played Fire Emblem at one of my old high schools on one of the computers in engineering class when I had all my work done. It was Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade and I remember that after beating Lyn's Prologue I stopped due to jumping from game to game on the computer I used. The first Fire Emblem I bought was Conquest because one of my friends from college was talking about Fates and I wanted to play it. I chose Conquest not knowing that the game you buy determines the path you take (unless you buy them digitally).

I got Brawl really late, Smash 4 had just been announced but I was like, no, I'm gonna get it. My intentions were to play as Sheik, but as I was making my way through the SSE, I saw a certain blue haired Prince. I thought to myself, 'oohlala, who is this handsome chap?'. So I googled, researched, and learnt about Fire Emblem.

I saw that the most recent game was Awakening, and it was on the 3DS. I had a 3DS. Perfect. So I watched someone play it up to chapter 12, then gave my mum some hard-earned moola and asked if she could be a dearie and buy it for me whilst I was at school. She thought it was a Pokemon game.

I remember being rather frantic throughout the day - did she get the right one? And yeah, she did. But she couldn't get a brand spanking new one, they didn't have any in stock, but they did have a pre-owned one without the case at £30. My mum was like, I ain't paying 30 quid for a game without a case, I'll go see if Argos has it. And the guy at the till was like, wait, wait, £25. Safe to say, mum was smug as hell.

Tl;dr, Marth was super attractive, and momma has a way with words.

Discovered the series pretty recently. I knew the Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4 but never really did more research than that. Well comes ZeRo Saga and MKLeo wins it with Marth. Like 2 weeks later there was that nintendo direct with the nintendo switch, and they showed that 10 second clip of Warriors and the FE logo. I thought the music was pretty amazing. After the direct, I saw FE direct in a week and watched that because I thought the music reminded me of the orchestrated pieces in Mario Galaxy. Well, all I could understand was 4 FE games were going to be released. Sometime next week before Heroes launched, I wanted to play a FE game because I was like why not? Some dude in a Smash tourney won with a character in the franchise, the music seems amazing, looked up the most recent game and decided to buy Fates. I needed money so I sold my Pokemon OR and Y cartriages for 40 bucks and went to local video game store on my college and bought BIrthright. And that's pretty much how I discovered the game series properly. Of course, first run in Birthright, I didn't understand anything and all I knew was Ryoma killed everything. I learned how things worked sure enough and as of this day I have played all the 3DS games (except relevations), the Elibe games, PoR, and currently playing RD. 

Me and my two sisters all have GBA's. They bought The Blazing Blade around the time it came out. We understood most of the game mechanics. My sisters got about halfway and then I ended up finishing it. Cheesed Nergal and the Fire Dragon by using Athos w/ Aureola and healing him when needed. Sadly by the end I'd gotten a few characters killed, including some I didn't know could be recruited 'cause I didn't pay attention. Later my sisters got The Sacred Stones. They barely played it while I got through it with ease having a better understanding of all the stats. A few years later I was allowed to surf the internet, I watched some vids of The Binding Blade primarily featuring Zephiel, pondered why we didn't get this sequel, then proceeded to brush up on the series history. I was fascinated and fell in love with the series ever since.

While I did know about Smash Bros., me still being a young teenager, I only paid attention to the characters I recognized; that being Mario, Kirby, and Link. Only after looking up FE's history did I learn about Marth and Roy and their interesting "debut" in Melee. Even prior to this I really wanted Melee, but I never own an N64 or Gamecube, but I did get a Wii after Brawl was announced. I was happy that FE got a little more attention in Brawl, and when Smash 4 was announced I hoped there would be at least 3 reps this time around. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to get double that, let alone 4 in the base game alone.

And that's how I became the huge Fire Emblem fan I am today. I shudder to think how different things might've been if my sisters hadn't bought The Blazing Blade...

Like most I knew of Fire Emblem through Melee. Melee introduced me to the Legend of Zelda series which changed my young life. So I figured the characters in Smash must all be from some great games. My local gamestop had a copy of Sacred Stones and Fire Emblem 7, loose carts. Got Sacred Stones, and before even finishing it I begged for a trip back to snatch that copy of FE7. 

I no longer own that copy of Sacred Stones. I lent it to a friend in middle school and he liked it as much as I did. He moved away before he could return it to me, but I'm not sour about it considering I did the same with his copies of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie.

I first found FE by watching a friend play (badly) through Blazing Blade. In fourth grade, having just got a GBA SP, I was at the mall with my parents for something or another when I saw Sacred Stones in a bargain bin (~$10). Being an idiot I saw "Fire Emblem" and assumed it was the same game my friend had. Convincing my parents to buy it was easy thanks to the price, and when I got home I started it up only to be very confused when I saw Eirika and Seth instead of Lyn and Kent like I was expecting. Still have the cartridge sitting around at home.

Later on, having become more familiar with FE via the Internet, I got Radiant Dawn and spent quite a while playing it. Unfortunately I have no idea where the disc is anymore. After I got bored of RD I played Blazing Blade via emulator for a while before drifting away from the series. I got back into it via Awakening in my freshman year of college. Fates-wise I bought Conquest for 2016 spring break, with Birthright and Revelations following later that year. Binding Blade and Shadow Dragon got emulated around the same time. Didn't bother with Echoes, and now I'm waiting for FE:Switch, although given my schedule actually buying it on release would be a bad idea.

I played ssb4 and thought "who are these anime-looking people" bc, to me, they looked a little out of place next to mario and link and falco. and lucina was my favorite of all those anime-looking characters, so i looked up her game and bought it.
Awakening was also the most recent game at the time so it worked out 

I bought Blazing Sword back when it first came out in Germany. I read an article in a videogame magazine and because it sounded interesting, I bought it. I didn't like it at first and didn't finish it back then. When Sacred Stones came out, I bought it (even though I didn't like the predecessor, what the hell, self) and loved it. So I kinda consider Sacred Stones my first FE, even though it was the second game I bought.

Marth was my favorite character to play as in Melee and I was happy to see him in Brawl.... but Roy got replaced by this Ike guy and I was confused for a little while on why he spoke English..... I was walking through the video game aisle at Walmart one day and I happened to notice Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon sitting on the shelf, I was so shocked because I thought this was a Japanese only series and I had no idea that a Fire Emblem game got released in America so I decided to buy it (or asked my parents if they would buy it). I was super stoked to see that Marth was a playable character and I realized that this must have been a remake of an old game.... I think a year went by before I learned that Shadow Dragon wasn't the first game to come to America, but 4 games came out in America prior to Shadow Dragon!

I was going to order among other games Super Smash Bros Brawl for the wii and going on the website that they had for the game and I saw this cool blue haired guy with a greatsword. Which when it comes to swords greatswords are my favourite and I was like "Hmm I wonder what game he's from?". Finding out that he was from a series called Fire Emblem and that it was a turn based strategy RPG, I was like "WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS SERIES ALREADY?" At the time my brother and I were playing a lot of chess so thinking this would be right up my alley, I ordered Radiant Dawn. Forget about Brawl I was going to get Fire Emblem.

When it arrived I put it in the console and as soon as the music started for the intro I KNEW that I was in for a ride. I had a BLAST with that game I have probably played that game more times than any other Fire Emblem game. I loved the soundtrack, the graphics and artstyle, the variety in weapon types, how the armor looked and the mechanics like shove and the Ledge mechanic I enjoyed a lot. The laguz were fun to use and a cool unit type except for Lethe, Lyre, Kiza and the Ravens they are not useful and get benched. I loved how the tutorial was done where not only was a thorough explanation given but they had a demonstration as well, adittionally you could skip this tutorial and not have to listen to it if you want (one of the things I dislike about FE7's tutorial as much as I enjoy that game). Of the tutorials that we have had for Fire Emblem I would say that the Tellius ones are the most clear and thorough and I hope that the next Fire Emblem game uses a tutorial format similar to what the Tellius games have.

I am not sure how long ago it was that I ordered Radiant Dawn but it was probably around 2010.

I was one of the few who did not learn of FE through Melee, but through a booklet of GBA games I got with Zelda: The Minish Cap. It showed Sacred Stones. I was interested in it, but never got around to buying it. Fast forward to Brawl's release and my playing it a lot. My brother and I both liked Ike best (well, besides Luigi for me. First thing I did was unlock him, so yeah). I looked up Ike's game and I thought it sounded like the most amazing thing ever. I found a copy of PoR at GameStop and the rest is history. :P

Edited by Anacybele

My first game was Blazing Sword. It's was one of the games in a collection of GBA roms that I got from a classmate. Along with Sacred Stones but that one I'm pretty sure I only played until the second or third map because the rom was from the US version, so I couldn't actually read it. Therefore I didn't play that one properly until I actually bought a copy.

Sacred Stones was probably the first game I actually bought. Although I'm not sure on that one. Maybe it was actually Path of Radiance. I recall that they were both already released at the time.

The internet.

I'd already played BS and SS on emulator by the I was hearing about a new game from online sources. Awakening had piqued my interest, but a couple of months passed before Smash 3DS was announced, which is when I decided to get a 3DS and Awakening online.

I never got round to Smash 4.