What you show someone if they asked what is great about Fire Emblem?

SpenyEX

I show them a picture of Marth of course. What else would I show them?

In all seriousness, I don't show them anything as much as I'd tell them, and that'd be about the characters.

Patting faces on a 3DS, of course. That 3DS and copy of Birthright is going to fly off the shelf and into your friend's hands.

But to be real, I really think this is a series that you really have to play for yourself to get hooked; much of the enjoyment is mental, not visual. There are cutscenes and stuff in the newer games, sure, but there's nothing you can really show your friend that would make them go "damn". With action games like MGR Revengeance, you can show them a clip of Raiden throwing a Metal Gear into the air and cutting its shit, but for FE there's nothing really like that.

You could tell your friend about interesting characters or plotlines of the games to see if anything sticks, maybe have them read some support conversations. That's probably the only thing you can talk or show. If all else fails, show them pics of waifus

I'd hand them a copy of Awakening, or some other game for whatever console they might have.  Or I'd just show them pantsless Marth.  Or the 'Boro's dopey face.  Or the commercial with Dorcas.

It really depends on the person.  I'd be mostly inclined to simply gift them a game out of the series and ask them to play it.  It's not a game you can necessarily just get a glimpse of and hook someone that way.  Not unless there are specific pulls for them.  If it was someone I'm not well acquainted with, I'd just show them one of the trailers for the more recent games because I don't invest more than $20 in gifting something they might not enjoy or spend the time trying to throw out lures for them.

There's a set of videos on youtube by a user "Whoisthisgit".
"Hector Killed by a Wall"
"More Guys killed by a Wall"
& "Yet More Guys killed by a Wall".
These videos and the use of the Devil Axe result in comedy gold, as characters die to walls and say death quotes that so poorly fit the situation.
The second of them started me on the series, due in part to prior interest from Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, and my sense of humour.

9 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

There's a set of videos on youtube by a user "Whoisthisgit".
"Hector Killed by a Wall"
"More Guys killed by a Wall"
& "Yet More Guys killed by a Wall".
These videos and the use of the Devil Axe result in comedy gold, as characters die to walls and say death quotes that so poorly fit the situation.
The second of them started me on the series, due in part to prior interest from Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, and my sense of humour.

Have you ever seen the ultimate FE6 spell?  It brings walls to 1 HP!

Point is, there's a bunch of silly interactions, and if that's what floats your boat, go for it!

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Have you ever seen the ultimate FE6 spell?  It brings walls to 1 HP!

Point is, there's a bunch of silly interactions, and if that's what floats your boat, go for it!

I have an odd sense of humour. It's far from all I love about the games, but the Devil Axe will always hold a special place in my heart because I accidentally put it there when affected by it's curse and removal would cause me to bleed out of the fact it got me into the series. That and the time Roro/Legion killed himself in a boss battle. Another axe related example is Rhys and Kieran's B support in Path of Radiance. Which in my head-cannon, is why the devil axe isn't in the game despite being in the code. Kieran was using it for training.

I once explained to my friends it's like chess with rock-paper-scissors. That was a bad idea. They said it sounded boring.

I probably should've just given them a brief synopsis of one of the games (like 7 for example) or showed them a meme about it.

I'd describe it as it adding another dimension to normal RPGs, with interesting characters to boot.  I'd also mention it has really good pacing and doesn't waste your time (mostly) like other JRPG's tend to do.

It would depend on the person, of course - there are some people I know who would give it a shot if I just showed them Camilla's Cutscene in Birthright, while others might be interested were I to show them Radish Man(Lodestar Azama w/ Daikon).

If they wanted a quick analysis, I would show them this:

If they wanted moments of hilarity or awesomeness, I would show them this:

Spoiler

Otherwise, I would just play the game in front of them. Fire Emblem is a more gameplay than story-focused game, anyway, so gameplay is more telling than cutscenes/artwork.