Beat-Em Upathon: Was starting tonight until Work called

Jedi

How should this be done  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Videos or Streams

• Videos on Youtube
    • Streams on Twitch

It's no secret that I adore the Beat Em Up genre, from Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, River City Ransom, Scott Pilgrim, TMNT and a vast number of others, I freaking love beat em ups, and they served as a catalyst to my love of more 3D hack n slash games such as Dynasty Warriors, Modern Ninja Gaiden, and Devil May Cry. 

I think the format is the most important question I have for people, do you want indivdual videos or would you rather streams? My streams would be at most likely awkward times of the day, there isn't currently a planned start date this is in the planning phases

The plan is to play tons of old school beat em ups generally, mostly from the NES, SNES, Genesis and Arcade. With some more modern ones thrown in with a few older Dynasty Warriors games via some of the games with invidual character stories, so it would't be super bloated. 

A lineup of games would look something like this (not this order or not all these might appear, but most of these are personal choices series mentioned I may only play 1 game in). 

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES) (and its successors on both the SNES and Genesis)
The Golden Axe Series 
Final Fight Series 
Streets of Rage Series 
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, all of them 
Both Sailor Moon beat em ups 
Captain America and the Avengers 
Maximum Carnage (Spiderman) 
The Death and Return of Superman 
X-Men 
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure
Dragon Ball GT: Transformation 
Splatterhouse 
Alien Storm 
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game 
Fight'n'Rage 
River City Ransom and the other Kunio Kun games 
Double Dragon 
Hook (Arcade) 
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs & the Arcade game
Double Dragon & Battletoads 
Metamorphic Force 
Captain Commando
Sengoku 
Zombie Revenge 
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions 
The Bouncer
Knights of the Round 
The King of Dragons 
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Ninja Baseball Bat Man 
Battle Circuit 
Fighting Force 
Night Slashers
Unchosen "Warriors" games 
Many other possiblities. (And do note I most likely won't go over all of these but just showing my vast history)

Note that any with an arcade version I can get people to play with me so that'll be even more fun

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES) (and its successors on both the SNES and Genesis)

I was gonna say, you'd better include this, but it's your first one listed, so I can't even be mad!

Gonna invite anybody in for remote multiplayer?

7 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I was gonna say, you'd better include this, but it's your first one listed, so I can't even be mad!

Gonna invite anybody in for remote multiplayer?

For the arcade based ones yes, but I'm not sure if I'll have the capabilities of the netplay with some of the snes ones.

LEGO Star Wars Eps. 1-6 and/or other similar LEGO games.

Star Wars Ep. III for GBA.

Castle Crashers.

Bayonetta????

Dragon Ball Xenoverse??

AND OF COURSE, @Refa's favorite game: SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS.

2 minutes ago, Euklyd said:

AND OF COURSE, @Refa's favorite game: SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS.

The box art looks to be delivering on that claim.

1 minute ago, Refa said:

The box art looks to be delivering on that claim.

it's on steam and everything, jedi really has no excuse

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Gift it, and i'll consider it, even if it damages my Saiyan pride.

i'll remember next sale if you put it on your wishlist :): 

also add lords of shadow to the list

Wow that is one longggggg list, you plan to play them all in short succession?:wtf:

Would Viewtiful Joe count/be possible? Would one of the alternate character modes: Sylvia, Alastor, Captain Blue, or PS2 version exclusive Dante; instead of playing as Joe, be possible?

No God Hand? 

I'm disappointed in you! Your dedication to the genre, and you're missing possibly its crowning jewel in the 3D era. 

I'm(mostly) kidding, but don't overlook God Hand. It takes getting used to, but it's generally very well respected by beat 'em up fans, fans of Platinum/Clover/Capcom, and fans of Character Action games. 

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wow that is one longggggg list, you plan to play them all in short succession?:wtf:

Would Viewtiful Joe count/be possible? Would one of the alternate character modes: Sylvia, Alastor, Captain Blue, or PS2 version exclusive Dante; instead of playing as Joe, be possible?

Nah that was a series of suggestions I don't plan on doing them all! Mostly series I'm familiar with in the genre.

I might do Brawl subspace as a thing though I didn't list that oops.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

No God Hand? 

I'm disappointed in you! Your dedication to the genre, and you're missing possibly its crowning jewel in the 3D era. 

I'm(mostly) kidding, but don't overlook God Hand. It takes getting used to, but it's generally very well respected by beat 'em up fans, fans of Platinum/Clover/Capcom, and fans of Character Action games. 

I've been meaning to look into God Hand actually thanks to a friend of mine, I just haven't gotten to it yet

As a self-described crusty old man by internet and videogame standards who grew up playing and loving beat'em ups, this venture pleases me. If you play some of them on weekends (say, Fri-Sat in the US) I might even be able to join in for some co-op action. I'm starved for people to play these games with.

I would ask that, if you stream them, maybe put a VOD up on your youtube pretty please? I live in Japan and have a soul-sucking full-time office job on a school network that blocks darn near everything on the internet worth looking at, so I usually have to catch up after the fact when somebody does something cool.

Also, you already have a massive list, but have you ever played the 90s Capcom Dungeons and Dragons arcade games? They've been remastered and put on PS4/Xbone/Steam as a 2-game package, and there is a ton of fun to be had with them. Six playable characters (up to 4 player co-op), a truckload of secret areas, branching paths, a frankly ridiculous amount of items, equipment, and magic spells you can pick up along the way, and it combines that 90s Capcom magic with a bunch of classic DnD stuff. I know you're probably already full up on titles to play, but I recommend you check it out.

2 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

As a self-described crusty old man by internet and videogame standards who grew up playing and loving beat'em ups, this venture pleases me. If you play some of them on weekends (say, Fri-Sat in the US) I might even be able to join in for some co-op action. I'm starved for people to play these games with.

I would ask that, if you stream them, maybe put a VOD up on your youtube pretty please? I live in Japan and have a soul-sucking full-time office job on a school network that blocks darn near everything on the internet worth looking at, so I usually have to catch up after the fact when somebody does something cool.

Also, you already have a massive list, but have you ever played the 90s Capcom Dungeons and Dragons arcade games? They've been remastered and put on PS4/Xbone/Steam as a 2-game package, and there is a ton of fun to be had with them. Six playable characters (up to 4 player co-op), a truckload of secret areas, branching paths, a frankly ridiculous amount of items, equipment, and magic spells you can pick up along the way, and it combines that 90s Capcom magic with a bunch of classic DnD stuff. I know you're probably already full up on titles to play, but I recommend you check it out.

Chronicles is on the list! ^^ I have played those and I do have the steam ports, as stated before the list is more to show my extensive history haha. Yeah i'll put vods up if I end up streaming.

11 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

Whoops! You are right. I guess I just missed it when I gave a cursory scan. My bad!

To be perfectly fair I put millions of things in that list hahaha.

Bump, it seems the time I'm gonna gun for will be early March

March 7th is likely for an early morning/after noon potential stream and the first set of games will be 

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES), MMPR The Movie (Genesis), Golden Axe 1 and Golden Axe 3.

I'll likely change it up between days whether it's an arcade/group day or like this one a solo game day.

Edited by Jedi

God of War is a surprising omission, especially since the newest game is coming in two months. If the six game franchise is too intimidating, then I can recommend Dante's Inferno in it's place. Christianity of War may be a shameless rip off, but it's a standalone game with an impressive re-construction of God of War's genre-defining gameplay. Also a goofy romp through a familiar story if you read The Divine Comedy in high school.

28 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

God of War is a surprising omission, especially since the newest game is coming in two months. If the six game franchise is too intimidating, then I can recommend Dante's Inferno in it's place. Christianity of War may be a shameless rip off, but it's a standalone game with an impressive re-construction of God of War's genre-defining gameplay. Also a goofy romp through a familiar story if you read The Divine Comedy in high school.

I just haven't gotten to it haha.