Conquest: Early Class Changes?

Ae†her

I've recently started playing Conquest again, and this time more seriously on Hard Classic (still not touching Lunatic yet), and I was just wondering what class changes would be a good idea to make early on.

Right now I'm on chapter 10, and was considering changing Odin into a Samurai because his Spd and Magic as a Dark Mage is kinda lackluster, and I've also just went ahead and changed Nyx into a Witch so as to let all of her stats shine (she got no stat penalties upon promotion, her Mag, Spd and Skl just sky rocketed up).

Many characters benefit from early class changes, it just depends on who you want to focus on.

Jakob breaks the early game if immediately changed to a Paladin or Great Knight.

Mozu needs to go Archer to even be relevant.

Arthur does much better as a Cavalier/Great Knight, and is equal or better than Silas in that role.

Many people swear by Wyvern Rider Elise, but I've never seen the benefits.

22 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Jakob breaks the early game if immediately changed to a Paladin or Great Knight.

Mozu needs to go Archer to even be relevant.

Paladin Jakob really helped me out early game.  If you feel you really need a second staffbot on your team, you can capture a shrine maiden as early as Chapter 9 in Conquest.

Mozu is much more useful as an archer in Conquest and she really helps out in Chapter 10 if you manage to get her off the ground in her paralogue.

31 minutes ago, anniec8711 said:

Paladin Jakob really helped me out early game.  If you feel you really need a second staffbot on your team, you can capture a shrine maiden as early as Chapter 9 in Conquest.

Mozu is much more useful as an archer in Conquest and she really helps out in Chapter 10 if you manage to get her off the ground in her paralogue.

I couldn't level her up that well when I was recruiting her because the support from my other units was terrible, I only managed to give her maybe 2-3 level ups. Does heart seal reclass to archer give her a huge amp in stats or something?

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

Arthur does much better as a Cavalier/Great Knight, and is equal or better than Silas in that role.

I'm really curious about Paladin Jakob and Arthur. Do i keep them in their base class for now, and promote and heart seal them later or should I just be make them Cavaliers asap?

13 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Does Heart Seal reclass to Archer give her a huge amp in stats or something?

It's not so much the stat boost that helps her out so much as it is the simple fact that having a second Bow user besides Niles helps a ton in dealing with pesky fliers.  I think Chapter 10 is where this is most apparent.  Then again, I had much better luck in catching Mozu up to everyone else's Level than you did.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

It's not so much the stat boost that helps her out so much as it is the simple fact that having a second Bow user besides Niles helps a ton in dealing with pesky fliers.  I think Chapter 10 is where this is most apparent.  Then again, I had much better luck in catching Mozu up to everyone else's Level than you did.

Yup was just playing chapter 10 a bit, and there are plenty fliers. About to restart and reclass Mozu, but I'm still not sure if I should reclass Odin to swordmaster.

I'd generally wait to reclass Odin.  He doesn't do that bad in his base class, especially with Nosferatu.  For a good portion of the game Odin and Nyx are your only dedicated tome users.  He'll rarely double but being able to attack often without retaliation is quite handy.   Plus enemies in the early game have low RES so he'll be able to exploit that, despite his lower MAG compared to Nyx.

25 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Yup, was just playing Chapter 10 a bit, and there are plenty fliers. About to restart and reclass Mozu, but I'm still not sure if I should reclass Odin to Swordmaster.

Swords were always Owain/Odin's true calling.  He can make better use of his Strength as a Samurai/Swordmaster than he can in either of his default promotions, and his Magic growth is unreliable anyway.  I find it pretty hilarious to see Odin with higher Strength than Magic upon promotion to Dark Knight, but unless you've been training him in Swords as a Samurai it won't be very practical for him since without reclassing he'd have to grind his Sword Rank all the way up from E.

What I would do is reclass him back into a Dark Knight upon promoting him into a Swordmaster so that he can make use of his better offensive stat while also having a mount and decent options for 2-Range fighting, but this would take two Heart Seals total, at least one of which you might want to give to someone else.

That said, if Odin gets too Magic-screwed to perform adequately as a Sorcerer, it may help to keep him as a Swordmaster to save a Heart Seal and marry him off with someone (preferably Elise) so you can get Ophelia.  I haven't tried this myself, but from what I hear she can be quite potent as a Sorcerer if she inherits Astra from her father.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

2 hours ago, Ae†her said:

I'm really curious about Paladin Jakob and Arthur. Do i keep them in their base class for now, and promote and heart seal them later or should I just be make them Cavaliers asap?

Jakob depends on how much you want to rely on Tomebreaker. Having that and Armored Blow/Inspiration/Aegis before the rest of your units are even ready to promote is his biggest strength.

Arthur wants Cavalier immediately. His join chapter if possible or right after. The sooner he starts ranking swords the better. You want to focus on swords in case you decide to seal him over to Hero later.

It's trivially easy to get Mozu to about level 8 or so in her Paralogue, but it takes some time and comes at the expense of your other units. Forget Odin and Arthur if you want to do this. You may end up dropping Elise as well.

Elise has great utility as a Wyvern Rider (more fliers is always good) and is best to be switched early so she can make it to C Axes for Bolt Axe. Terrible accuracy so will need a good support and/or attack stance to compensate.

Arthur loses Hand Axe utility which is super important in the conquest earlygame by being reclassed so you might want to wait a bit

Odin should be kept as Dark Mage and given magic tonic + Nyx Pairup + Nosferatu. Eventually you can reclass him to MoA, ideally with a speed pairup, and he will do quite well with an arms scroll as he can then use beast killer and hammer straight away

Jakob/Felicia are best used by cycling between lots of class trees and getting lots of skills. have a plan though.

Archer Mozu is the best way to use her

Laslow likes being switched to Ninja ASAP to work on his shuriken rank

Can't really think of any other good heart seals

Main early seals are Elise/Dwyer/Corn/Jakob/Mozu in no real order.

Elise has tolerable hit with forged bronze and better-than-niles offense in wyvern until she picks up the bolt axe (and preferably heartseeker) and becomes a flying tanknukeaurabot.

Dywer just wants cav and a Fseal off of Percy for a relevant midgame class.

Jakob Partners off Corn, takes eroom +defender off cav via A+Silias, and then seals off Corn again to become a stacklord.

Corn can seal whenever, you just go early for 1-2 or flight if they're relevant in your comp.

Mozu is Bowzu.

Percy may want fighter for growths and bases if he's your endgame bosskiller. Early flight is extremely good though.

Edit: Laslow can go into ninja early and is good at it, but Silias and Soliel are much better MN's and BK gives him more move to abuse footwork.

-------------------------------

Mythbusting: Odin is a funtional clone of Hero!Selena in MoA/SM. This is pretty shit. Vantage/LaD is busted on a sorc though. He's only in danger of being outclassed in mag damage by +magOphelia (aka God) as his respectable mag with +15 stack hurts like bitch. Defensively he's pretty much the uncontested fattest mage. Bonus edit: Odin can double on his join map, on lunatic, as a DM.

Arthur just wants Eroom+Luna from the cav line. Be/Draco are just stronger classes and axes are Op. Arthur lacks VoF so he's very much not a clone of Silias.

Bowzu can walk into Ch10 at xl1 and level like a madzu off pegs. Don't worry about feeding her.

Gk/General are bad, Effie enjoys Archer off of Mozu though.

Edited by joshcja

As for early seals, I'd say Archer Mozu and Wyvern Lord Camilla are worth considering. Jakob and Felicia can also use them to get level 15 skills long before endgame.