New Heroes: Those who Have fallen

Poimagic

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They have pretty much identical personalities and equally customizable stats and everything else. All that truly differs is who they can see naked outside of marriage, who they can marry, and what role they play in procreation- barely anything majorly important. Maleness is not essential to Mobin, Femaleness is not essential to Fobin.

I acknowledge they will be treated differently in FE materials and as separate persons, and I'm not arguing against this. Just that personally, the difference between them is much slimmer than between any other two random characters. 

If they added skills like the recent Gencross and Genpeer additions to Warriors, or Forrest got Fierce Counter and Charlotte Unmask, then within the context of Heroes, I would consider Mobin's gameplay maleness to matter. But this still wouldn't alter my personal conviction of them as one sexless/hermaphroditic personality outside of small parts of gameplay, fanservice, representation's sake in various games.

Perhaps I'm just looking into the depths of their being, ignoring the plumbing layer as irrelevant when it really isn't for this game. I might have a point, but if I do, the point is meaningless in this game.

Actually M!Robin and F!Robin do have different personalities. M!Robin is calmer and smarter, while F!Robin is more agressive. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this came out of nowhere!

First off, GRIMA CONFIRMED! And he's an armoured dragon! And has Vengeful Fighter! And LB+?

EVIL HARDIN? HOLY SHIT, THAT'S RIGHT THE FUCK OUT OF NOWHERE! AND HE HAS BOLD FIGHTER 3!

And Celica's a sword infantry. :P Ruin the hype why don't you. Though she has Beloved Zofia. Hmmm. WITH AN EVEN MORE BROKEN RAGNAROK EFFECT. AND CHILL SPEED IS FUCKING AMAZING.

Also Chapter 5. Neat. I actually might want Hardin the most, though I am okay with getting any of the three, there's no one must get for me. Also another Muspell character's confirmed, neat.

On a side note, Betrayal's a GHB. Cool.

Edited by Dayni

I'm not sure what to be surprised by most right now. That they added Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter to the permanent summoning pool this quickly. That they added Ward Dragons this soon after we finally got Hone Dragons. That they added an armored dragon (paving the way for armored strike Dheginhansea). That we got Grima and Duma. That we got Hardin. That this banner is predominantly male. That these characters are in the permanent summoning pool.

I'm rather sure what to be most disappointed by right now, though. That Grima is male Robin and not female Robin. (Cipher's Grima possesses female Robin and Warriors's Velezark possesses female Robin.) I'd have liked another Sawashiro Miyuki to pull for, even if my wallet wouldn't.

Do we really need more armors so soonish, especially ones that will be super obnoxious? Arena is already pretty unfun, why add to the injury? Ugh, also no orbs left, oh well, guess I'll make do without any of those (except for lucky first pulls).

From the character side of things, it's already pretty disappointing how few new characters are introduced (though, I'd give Grima a pass; I never considered him to be the same persona as Robin - should have named him Grima in my opinion, but whatever), but was Celica really necessary? Couldn't they have chosen any other fallen character? I assume they planned her before the CYL results?

Oh well, brace yourselves for more dragons and armors.

Browsing through the FEH subreddit, I'm glad that I see posts of Fire Emblem Cipher art for Risen Chrom, and Grima Female Robin. As others have said, it's a shame that IS decided to do Grima Male Robin.  The Cipher art for Grima Robin looks so badass.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm rather sure what to be most disappointed by right now, though. That Grima is male Robin and not female Robin. (Cipher's Grima possesses female Robin and Warriors's Velezark possesses female Robin.) I'd have liked another Sawashiro Miyuki to pull for, even if my wallet wouldn't.

I think it’s because Cipher and Warriors had female Robin possessed that they went with Male Robin this time.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Do we really need more armors so soonish, especially ones that will be super obnoxious? Arena is already pretty unfun, why add to the injury? Ugh, also no orbs left, oh well, guess I'll make do without any of those (except for lucky first pulls).

From the character side of things, it's already pretty disappointing how few new characters are introduced (though, I'd give Grima a pass; I never considered him to be the same persona as Robin - should have named him Grima in my opinion, but whatever), but was Celica really necessary? Couldn't they have chosen any other fallen character? I assume they planned her before the CYL results?

Oh well, brace yourselves for more dragons and armors.

I mean to be fair, Hardin is the first non-seasonal blue armour since launch as well.

Part of me think some aspects of the banner is IS trolling.

People wanted Camus to come back and his Gradivus? Here have Hardin.

People voted Winter Tharja for Vengeful fodder? We don't even have the free unit yet and now we have Grima with Vengeful fodder.

People complained about Zelgius and spoilers? Here have this banner.

People complaining about Dragon Emblem? Here have Ward Dragons and Expiration.

People hoping CYL Celica gets Beloved Zofia? here have Duma Celica (although to be fair she probably was made before the results)

At least they have niches like armored dragon (Armored boots Grima would be annoying) or the third green dragon and again, Hardin being the 3rd non-seasonal blue knight. Although I feel people who tried really hard to get Myrrh and spent all those orbs will be slightly annoyed another green dragon came out so soon.

My Selena will walk up to Grima and laugh.

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

I think it’s because Cipher and Warriors had female Robin possessed that they went with Male Robin this time.

But I'm pretty sure players of Waifu Emblem would prefer female Robin instead, more so than players of Cipher or the other Waifu Emblem Warriors.

1 minute ago, mcsilas said:

Although I feel people who tried really hard to get Myrrh and spent all those orbs will be slightly annoyed another green dragon came out so soon.

I'll take Sanya over Arata any day of the week. Dereban, though...

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Maybe that, but I also think it's to make the banner more attractive to people. Male Robin has consistently been more popular in the polls than his female counterpart. Intsys also knew Celica was pretty damn popular (if not just how popular) prior to making this banner. Hardin looks like a great and powerful unit, but to attract whales in order to turn a profit from this banner, they felt like they had to surround him with fan favourites. I'm just surprised Hardin isn't the GHB unit instead of Takumi (not that I'm complaining), but this was one way of selling him on a banner I guess.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

But I'm pretty sure players of Waifu Emblem would prefer female Robin instead, more so than players of Cipher or the other Waifu Emblem Warriors.

Eh, FRobin has shown herself to be mediocre waifu bait. She's been consistently below her male counterpart in popularity. Plus, they already have Celica as waifu bait in this.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

My Selena will walk up to Grima and laugh.

But isn’t Male Robin the more popular one? Female Robin doesn’t seem to be popular as a “waifu”, at least when compared to the other female Avatar, Corrin.

EDIT: Oops, @Nanima already said it.

Edited by Water Mage

I still want a tanky infantry green dragon for easymode "Defeat X with an all-infantry team" quest, and neither Myrrh nor Robin solve this. Meanwhile other dragon colours are foot-locked while green has both armour and flier. If they add a cavalry green dragon next...

(Granted the one and only Fae I've ever pulled is -Def, but even with +Def she's squishier than all but Ninian)

4 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

I mean to be fair, Hardin is the first non-seasonal blue armour since launch as well.

-snip-

Hardin is a great addition as a new character (expected a GHB for him, but hey, that works) and it's true, we do need more permanent armor residents in the pool, but I can't stop feeling annoyed by this banner after all the armor love in recent past. They are overdoing it a bit for my taste, but I won't throw a fit over it; it's just me being orb-deprived after really bad pull sessions.

As for the trolling, I could easily see that. XD

5 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Eh, FRobin has shown herself to be mediocre waifu bait. She's been consistently below her male counterpart in popularity. Plus, they already have Celica as waifu bait in this.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

But isn’t Male Robin the more popular one? Female Robin doesn’t seem to be popular as a “waifu”, at least when compared to the other female Avatar, Corrin.

1. Male Robin is more popular, but male Robin isn't a waifu.
  2. Saying that female Robin is "mediocre" for placing 8 ranks lower than male Robin in CYL 1 and 21 ranks lower than CYL 2 is like saying Joshua has only mediocre popularity for placing 16 places behind Takumi in CYL 1 or that male Robin himself is mediocre for placing 7 ranks lower than the highest-ranking avatar in CYL 1. "Mediocre" is a measurement relative to the whole, not to a single other competitor.
  3. Following from that, I don't see how placing 24th in CYL 1 and 38th in CYL 2 is at all mediocre. (Ignoring the fact that CYL 2 is very clearly a "who you do want a special version unit of" poll and not a "who do you like most" poll.)

9 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Hardin is a great addition as a new character (expected a GHB for him, but hey, that works) and it's true, we do need more permanent armor residents in the pool, but I can't stop feeling annoyed by this banner after all the armor love in recent past. They are overdoing it a bit for my taste, but I won't throw a fit over it; it's just me being orb-deprived after really bad pull sessions.

As for the trolling, I could easily see that. XD

To be entirely fair, despite the recent focus on armored characters, they are still the movement type with the fewest characters in the game. There are 21 armors including Robin and Hardin compared to 25 fliers at second fewest. It's even worse when you look at only characters in the permanent summoning pool where there are only 9 armors including Robin and Hardin compared to 17 fliers.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. Male Robin is more popular, but male Robin isn't a waifu.
  2. Saying that female Robin is "mediocre" for placing 8 ranks lower than male Robin in CYL 1 and 21 ranks lower than CYL 2 is like saying Joshua has only mediocre popularity for placing 16 places behind Takumi in CYL 1 or that male Robin himself is mediocre for placing 7 ranks lower than the highest-ranking avatar in CYL 1. "Mediocre" is a measurement relative to the whole, not to a single other competitor.
  3. Following from that, I don't see how placing 24th in CYL 1 and 38th in CYL 2 is at all mediocre. (Ignoring the fact that CYL 2 is very clearly a "who you do want a special version unit of" poll and not a "who do you like most" poll.)

Maybe not on the whole, but when it comes to Intsys considering money makers, I'd say Celica and Eirika in the last banner, and Camilla and Azura in the "Hoshidan" banner, were brought in as the main sellers. It's consistently been females ranking in the top ten. When considering possible revenue I guess they just thought that M!Robin was going to bring in more overall, or that most whales would be flocking to Celica anyway. Plus, there are female whales out there as well.

So I'm late to the party as always but here are my thoughts.

• Grima Robin looks fantastic. Everything about him is cool, didn't play Awakening so not biased to F!Robin. This guy's great, the summon is great, his kit is great and Vengeful fighter is just dumb. If I pull, I pull for him.
  • Hardin is cool, bold fighter doesn't really suit him, it's really just there for whales to go "ooh aah" but he has potential to be unparallelled levels of annoying especially if he's got a lot of bulk. It'll take forever to kill him if he's got Wary Fighter equipped. Just thinking about it gives me a headache.
  • Celica is underwhelming. I've never played Echoes so I have no idea what's really going on with her and so I'm not impacted by her appearance here, it's just sword Celica during an acid trip. That B-Skill looks annoying also, she'll probably be demoted if anyone is, but that B Skill will remain at *5 only and she'll give Hone ATK 3 at *4 for the trololols.

Also, seeing this Celica has pretty much confirmed for me that Brave Celica will be the colorless unit with Golden Dagger.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

To be entirely fair, despite the recent focus on armored characters, they are still the movement type with the fewest characters in the game. There are 21 armors including Robin and Hardin compared to 25 fliers at second fewest. It's even worse when you look at only characters in the permanent summoning pool where there are only 9 armors including Robin and Hardin compared to 17 fliers.

I cannot deny that, and there aren't many dragon breath units either... and yet they already fill most of the upper arena, resulting in one wanting to see something else. At this point I don't ever see any other meta being there, considering their obvious advantage in score, prowess and synergy. Doesn't change the fact that you are right - another blue armor is a welcome addition to the permanent pool, and the addition of a new dragon-armor combo is also perfectly fine to open up new possibilities. It's just my whiny side that says "enough with the bulky unattackable units", but will ultimately realize it's fine in the grand scheme of things; on the other hand, the FE-fan in me is delighted to see Hardin and Grima.

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

In OTHER other news, this banner's interesting because it features more male characters than female ones.  When was the last time that happened?

4 and 5 Star Heroes last month featured *eight* males to four females. And the banner directly before that had Sothe and Zelgius over Micaiah.

EDIT: And before that, we had four in December alone with Shiro-Siegbert-Soleil, Ephraim-Takumi-Lyn, Eldigan-Jaffar-Minerva and Raven-Lucius-Priscilla. Mildly surprised myself with that.

Edited by Humanoid

40 minutes ago, Nanima said:

When considering possible revenue I guess they just thought that M!Robin was going to bring in more overall, or that most whales would be flocking to Celica anyway. Plus, there are female whales out there as well.

The whales that bring in the dough are those pulling for gameplay reasons, not those pulling for their waifus and husbandos.

Winter's Envoy probably made absurd amounts of money off of those players due to them needing to pull some 20 to 50 copies of banner characters (11 for each +10 and 1 for each additional Bold Fighter or Vengeful Fighter).

40 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Maybe not on the whole, but when it comes to Intsys considering money makers, I'd say Celica and Eirika in the last banner, and Camilla and Azura in the "Hoshidan" banner, were brought in as the main sellers. It's consistently been females ranking in the top ten.

The recent new-character banners have been (through December):

• Love Abounds
  • Sacred Memories
  • World of Dawn
  • Happy New Year
  • Winter's Envoy
  • Children of Fate

The money-makers are most likely (in the same order)

• Hector
  • Myrrh
  • Zelgius
  • Azura
  • Everyone
  • ???

That's hardly "consistently females ranking in the top ten".

Going even farther back gives us Farfetched Heroes (Dorcas and Mia), Trick or Defeat (Nowi?), and World of Holy War (Sigurd and Ayra), which still doesn't fit that mold.

13 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

and yet they already fill most of the upper arena,

There will never be anything else in the upper Arena because of how the scoring system works. As long as the scoring system remains as it is, you could add a thousand new non-dragon infantry, cavalry, and flying units to the game, and that wouldn't change the enemy team composition of the upper Arena.

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

In OTHER other news, this banner's interesting because it features more male characters than female ones.  When was the last time that happened?

World of Dawn just last month.

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The whales that bring in the dough are those pulling for gameplay reasons, not those pulling for their waifus and husbandos.

Winter's Envoy probably made absurd amounts of money off of those players due to them needing to pull some 20 to 50 copies of banner characters (11 for each +10 and 1 for each additional Bold Fighter or Vengeful Fighter).

The recent new-character banners have been (through December):

• Love Abounds
  • Sacred Memories
  • World of Dawn
  • Happy New Year
  • Winter's Envoy
  • Children of Fate

The money-makers are most likely (in order)

• Hector
  • Myrrh
  • Zelgius
  • Azura
  • Everyone
  • ???

That's hardly "consistently females ranking in the top ten".

I'm confused. Didn't you say when the New Year banner came out that they put in Camilla because she was more popular as a female?

Also if Intsys doesn't bother too much with female money makers, then why are you so confused over M!Robin being in despite not being waifu?