[SPOILERS] Corrin as a good character??

Arcphoenix

In case you missed the title, this post has spoilers for Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, Birthright, and Revelations

You have been warned

Introduction, Pretext, etc

Spoiler

Hello everyone. I’m Arcphoenix, and this is my first posting in the FE online community. As my first post, I’m going to present an unpopular opinion: Corrin is a good character. 

Fates was my first game of the series and introduced me to Fire Emblem. Corrin was my first lord character, so he/she grew on me as I played.  

Corrin is also notorious worst lord for many, and it’s not hard to see why.  His personality seems bland, he seems incredibly naiive, and many of his other actions seem to be due to a lack of common sense. 

I did some thinking on his good qualities and tried to find a character analysis or praise and defense for Corrin and turned up nothing. I decided I’d make one myself. 

My opinion is that Corrin could have been a good character, even with his flaws,  if his character had been handled a bit better. 

Before I go into detail, I’ll state some things. Firstly, I’ll mainly use masculine pronouns to refer to Corrin for this post. What I’m saying, of course, is in regards to both Corrins, but I’d rather avoid repeated he or she’s. I’ve also only finished gameplay as male corrin for the three routes, so I’m most familiar with his dialogue. Additionally, the fact he’s the least popular of the two genders will further the point I’m trying to make. 

Anyway, my goal is to take what makes Corrin Corrin and put a positive spin on it. Corrin’s distinguishing features are his general friendliness with practically everyone, his care and love for friends and family, and his desire for peace over war. 

Granted, I’m sure this probably  applies to most lords, but bear with me. 

These traits tend to make Corrin appear as a gullible Mary-Sue with common or street sense. 

Now for the defense. As I said, Corrin had some good which is seen in a few moments of the story, even though, as a whole, he's poorly handled. One of his best scenes was in Revelations where Anthony isolates Corrin from the group into a trap. No one else trusts Anthony at this point after a bridge nearly collapsed under them. Only Corrin was willing to go with Anthony to try to make a way into Anankos's palace. Prior to leaving, Corrin makes "preparations." When Anthony reveals his true colors Corrin explains what his preparations were: a message left behind that if he didn't return, Anthony had indeed tricked him. Anthony points out that this meant Corrin had not really trusted him at all to which Corrin replies "I wanted to, Anthony. I really did. That's why I'm sad that things have turned out this way. Don't think that means I won't fight you with everything I have, though! The least I can do is thin your numbers so that my friends have an easier time." While Corrin still isn't exactly flawless in this scene, he's much more wise in his decision than his usual naiivities. I also feel this scene sets what could have been a good character for Corrin.  

If I were to rewrite Corrin, I would rewrite him a bit to not be stupid (for example the scene with Azura's "disguise," his agreement to jump off a cliff with Azura into a bottomless canyon, and his agreement with Azura that attacking both sides in the "choose a side" chapter for attention would work) and cringefully naiive 

I'd write him instead as someone willing to take risks to reach people. I'd have him as the person willing to give people chances and extend a friendly hand, even if others aren't favorable of the decision, but he'll keep his sword on his belt. 

When Zola joins Corrin's party in Birthright and if Shura is spared in Conquest, Corrin displays this mindset. In each route, he allows the person to accompany him but makes it clear that if the accompanee takes one step out of order, Corrin will not hesitate to slay him on the spot. Likewise, calling back to Revelations, Corrin left a message behind for his friends to come if he didn't return with the assumption Anthony had set a trap. 

Rewriting Corrin, I'd would also have him show sense enough to discriminate between the allies he's trying to make and those he has in that he openly shows he has full faith in those allied to him, and that he deeply cares for his allies. He'd have trust for new allies to some degree and wouldn't distrust them, but the most important tasks would lie with those he knows best of course. Newer allies, trust would need to be gained more via experiences and time before relying on them for anything dire. Some support conversations could even reflect this, both with his family and with new recruits that were enemies at first. 

Thinking about it, a person like this Corrin would be needed to bring Hoshido and Nohr together after all the war, making him a perfect fit for the plot. 

As I think about it, it's like Awakening's theme of the strength of bonds and allies almost, but with a willingness to outreach and lower one's guard to connect with others. 

I feel focusing on that, with some degree of common sense, would make Corrin a better character. Probably still controversial though. 

This characterization of Corrin would make a theme of how, to interact with and reach others, you have to make yourself vulnerable. You'll be hurt by other people, you may get betrayed, but you will make many more connections and meet many more influential people than by keeping your guard up. 

I feel actual Corrin tried to be like this but failed at it. There was also the family theme distracting from it. I feel better Corrin would be accepting of the bad for the good of lowering one's guard to try to interact with more people. 

That's my opinion on Corrin. I hope you've found this interesting and that I may have given you another perspective on him/her.

Oh, and as this is my first post, if there are any forum norms I missed and such, just let me know. Also, feel free to discuss. I'd like to hear opinions on my analysis.

Edited by Arcphoenix
Rewording

What's wrong with Corrin being naive? It's how Garon purposely raised them to be.

Corrin learns from their naivety atleast in Birthright precisely because it bites them in the butt with Zola, heck Ryoma has to give them a pep talk so they won't keep constantly doubting their own army because of it.

It's a realistic flaw and honestly I appreciate the game acknowledges it as such.

As for them trusting Azura in Rev, well what else where they supposed to do flail their arms around and hope that Ryoma and Xander would stop trying to kill each other? Azura at that point was their only ally and they had nowhere else to go they had to trust her.