Favorite development for a character outside of their main/original game

Thane

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Interestingly Leo lists swimming as one of the things Xander is better at then he is in their support. Which makes one wonder about Leo's swimming skills. 

That is pretty interesting. Xander probably dog paddles like me and Leo sinks like a rock then. In their defense, I don't think swimming is really necessary for their survival in the Nohrian royalty or in Nohr in general. Swimming isn't a REQUIRED survival technique to be good at in any case, it just helps.

@omegaxis1 

Yeah, Anri probably would, but there might still be times when he'd look at his brother, sister in law, and nieces/nephews, and remember Artemis and think "if only..." Not full blown jealousy, just longing for something he never got and slight envy.

But we're probably not going to ever know for sure.

Edited by Dragoncat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rickard maybe in that weird satalite bonus stage/ Bonus stage in Fe12. Rickard wasn't a character I cared much about in Shadow Dragon, but seeing him cheerfully con and cheat himself through his stage did bring a smile to my face.

Linde in Fire Emblem warrior counts as a more serious one. I mean her having her dad killed and her posing as a man was brought up in Shadow dragon, but not much more then that. Her talking about her backstory against Niles made me much more interested in her as a character.

Zelgius, for the same reason some characters became better after being separated of their lieges/morality pets/plot chains, as mentioned earlier by some posters.

Spoiler

Zelgius actually acts like a proper general for once, instead of being resumed to a talented fighter who is overly dependant of Sephiran, overly tsundere about Greil and overly competitive about Ike.

As the Black Knight in the same game, he seems very attached to those characters, but when he adopts his Zelgius persona, he simply seems to let go of those chains and actually stands out for his own, always referring to his loyalties in the past and speaking of how important it is to move on.

If anything, FEH!Zelgius seems like a time-misplaced future RD!Black Knight who curiously could have developed into FEH!Zelgius in his original game had he not died in the Tower of Guidance and moved on with his life.

That Grima thing in Echoes was actually kinda nice in regards to how it reflects on Robin. I mean, Robin is basically the same as Julius, both were breed to serve as the vessel of a Dark Dragon. And Julius was suggested to have the ability to subconsciously manipulate people into worshipping him. So it has been my headcanon that Robin, while not necessarily aware of it, has the same ability. That would explain why everyone around her becomes so obsessed with her that they would even happily throw away the life of their children in order to protect her. And Echoes supports that theory by confirming in Forneus' final entry that Grima can get into people's heads like that.

Also, Lucina in Codename S.T.E.A.M.. She is actually really fun to play there. She combines the jumping ability of the Cowardly Lion with the dashing special of Dorothy, giving her mobility options that no other character in the game has. She can pull of all kinds of stunts that you wouldn't be able to do with any other character. Her bow is also mechanically different from other stuff in the game. It can be shot in a straight line or be angled to hit enemies from above. Besides, considering that Amiibo characters are stuck with their basic gear, it's good that Lucina has a sub weapon that is useful in basically any situation. Even more so since she is an expert in repositioning herself.

27 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

That Grima thing in Echoes was actually kinda nice in regards to how it reflects on Robin. I mean, Robin is basically the same as Julius, both were breed to serve as the vessel of a Dark Dragon. And Julius was suggested to have the ability to subconsciously manipulate people into worshipping him. So it has been my headcanon that Robin, while not necessarily aware of it, has the same ability. That would explain why everyone around her becomes so obsessed with her that they would even happily throw away the life of their children in order to protect her. And Echoes supports that theory by confirming in Forneus' final entry that Grima can get into people's heads like that.

Now I feel really messed up for naming my most recent Awakening avatar after a god of domination and slavery.

Do Corrin and Chris also have that ability?  Actually, now that I think about this, it makes me appreciate characters like Marth who have to work hard to earn the trust of their comrades through normal means.

Funnily enough, I think Summer Xander really did it for me. It was his confession quote most of all. He's aware he looks ridiculous but he actually somewhat enjoys it - being free of his responsibilities. I really like his quotes in Heroes for all three versions, but the summer one stood out to me the most :) 

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

There's a major flaw in that theory. Grima only managed to get in Forneus' head because Forneus gave Grima his blood, which established a connection between them. Forneus may have actually been possessed by Grima.

37 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Now I feel really messed up for naming my most recent Awakening avatar after a god of domination and slavery.

Do Corrin and Chris also have that ability?  Actually, now that I think about this, it makes me appreciate characters like Marth who have to work hard to earn the trust of their comrades through normal means.

Similar to what I said above, Grima doesn't mind control anyone. He controls the dead only. The only reason that he has a cult to worship him is likely because Grima instilled lessons into the first Grimleal about humanity needing to be destroyed. Or so my Grimleal theory goes, where life's evolution has gone wrong and the sins of mankind is what created Grima. Surprisingly, Grima in Heroes actually fits the Grima that the Grimleal worships in my theory. 

Robin's ability to get others to trust him actually comes from his own charisma that might have actually come from how he is very interactive with others and wants to know them, due to lacking memories of his own, so he seeks new memories to make his identity.

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

There's a major flaw in that theory. Grima only managed to get in Forneus' head because Forneus gave Grima his blood, which established a connection between them. Forneus may have actually been possessed by Grima.

Similar to what I said above, Grima doesn't mind control anyone. He controls the dead only. The only reason that he has a cult to worship him is likely because Grima instilled lessons into the first Grimleal about humanity needing to be destroyed. Or so my Grimleal theory goes, where life's evolution has gone wrong and the sins of mankind is what created Grima. Surprisingly, Grima in Heroes actually fits the Grima that the Grimleal worships in my theory. 

Robin's ability to get others to trust him actually comes from his own charisma that might have actually come from how he is very interactive with others and wants to know them, due to lacking memories of his own, so he seeks new memories to make his identity.

Well, I mean Grima controls Robin. That's someone. Though about that Forneus thing, it would be a neat connection if Robin is actually his descendant.

12 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, I mean Grima controls Robin. That's someone. Though about that Forneus thing, it would be a neat connection if Robin is actually his descendant.

Grima is controlling a host that he connected with. That isn't to say that he can perform mass mind control. 

It's highly questionable on whether Forneus truly is Robin's ancestor, since if there wasn't any indication that Forneus had any child, and if he was possessed by Grima and then if Act VI had Grima's body be destroyed, that means Forneus was destroyed.

Though then again, because Grima took Forneus blood, that could mean that Forneus' blood has become part of Fellblood, and thus Robin is in fact Forneus' descendant.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Grima is controlling a host that he connected with. That isn't to say that he can perform mass mind control. 

It's highly questionable on whether Forneus truly is Robin's ancestor, since if there wasn't any indication that Forneus had any child, and if he was possessed by Grima and then if Act VI had Grima's body be destroyed, that means Forneus was destroyed.

Though then again, because Grima took Forneus blood, that could mean that Forneus' blood has become part of Fellblood, and thus Robin is in fact Forneus' descendant.

Ahem, what about all the Grimleal that seemed very mind controlled? May have not been Grima proper, but if the Grimleal could do it, Grima might as well.

He may have had children that had left Thebes before Grima was created. The bloodline could continue through them.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Ahem, what about all the Grimleal that seemed very mind controlled? May have not been Grima proper, but if the Grimleal could do it, Grima might as well.

He may have had children that had left Thebes before Grima was created. The bloodline could continue through them.

Magic spells performed by the Grimleal is not the innate power that was being referred to for Grima. If Grima bothered with those kinds of spells, it would only be just to build up sacrifices. Though it might be just his mere presence is what saps humanity of its hope and makes them succumb to despair. 

But even so, its unlikely that Grima would even stoop to mind controlling anyone. You either serve him willingly, or die and become a corpse that will serve him. There's really no need for a middle ground with him. 

Forneus is mentioned to be consumed with matters of reviving the dead and controlling them and creating the perfect life. I genuinely cannot imagine him ever spending any amount of time with family to even have a woman, let alone kids. 

Grima for his expanded lore in Echoes and getting a bit more fleshed out characterization in Heroes.   

Corrin in Warriors since the more consistent direction with the supports allows them to bounce off the other characters better then in Fates. Additionally, Caeda and Marth, while already likeable characters in the Archanean games, also get more time to shine in the Warriors supports. 

Finally, reading some of the supplemental material on the site also made me like characters such as Michalis, Medeus, and Nolan more then I did then when playing their respective games on their own.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Forneus is mentioned to be consumed with matters of reviving the dead and controlling them and creating the perfect life. I genuinely cannot imagine him ever spending any amount of time with family to even have a woman, let alone kids. 

I mean, Grima probably can't mind control, granted.

Forneus might have had kids before he became obsessed. Plus...doesn't necessarily have to have been married.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

I mean, Grima probably can't mind control, granted.

Forneus might have had kids before he became obsessed. Plus...doesn't necessarily have to have been married.

Based on what I saw, I highly doubt it. 

However, given that we are lacking in a lot of details, who knows. Maybe he did, or maybe he didn't. Though not sure if Grima would be able to actually work though those descendants since Grima himself is the fellblood, not Forneus. 

To stray from the echo chamber of Grima, I'm going to say Tiki for going from a child princess and the last of the Naga clan who for her whole life was sheltered into slumber, never to bet allowed into the world, to a wiser and mature adult, who while still having a playful side, bears the responsibility of Naga as her Voice and eventually she, herself. Like Mother, like daughter. Then there's experiencing the painful reality of being a dragon manakete and outliving all of your loved ones

This totally counts, with Awakening being 2k years from her debut, right?

Edited by Motendra

On 24.2.2018 at 1:31 AM, omegaxis1 said:

That's only one possibility. Above all else the final entry describes Grima as having started out as a "tiny thing" but "grew" after Forneus gave him his blood. So it's perfectly logical to assume that Grima simply wasn't powerful enough to manipulate anyone until the transfusion turned him from this "tiny thing" into the massive entity that is fought on the final floor. 

But even if he already had this ability beforehand, maybe he lacked other things that prevented him from using that power. Like a human level of sentience for example. Or maybe he only started using this ability because Forneus blood corrupted him.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

That's only one possibility. Above all else the final entry describes Grima as having started out as a "tiny thing" but "grew" after Forneus gave him his blood. So it's perfectly logical to assume that Grima simply wasn't powerful enough to manipulate anyone until the transfusion turned him from this "tiny thing" into the massive entity that is fought on the final floor. 

But even if he already had this ability beforehand, maybe he lacked other things that prevented him from using that power. Like a human level of sentience for example. Or maybe he only started using this ability because Forneus blood corrupted him.

Except nowhere in the lore does it show that Grima actually has the ability to control minds on a whim. Everyone that has associated with Grima are Grimleal or Risen. Thing is, unlike Loptyr, Grima truly has no need to actually control anyone's minds. You either submit to his will or you die and be his corpse puppet. There's really no grey area in need here. 

Forneus giving Grima his blood is clearly a sign of a blood pact somehow being performed, thus allowing a connection. Grima was enforcing his will and thoughts into Forneus clearly by the last entry, which the only other thing happened is in the three Jugdral Holy Weapons: Naga, Forseti, and Loptyr.

17 hours ago, Motendra said:

To stray from the echo chamber of Grima, I'm going to say Tiki for going from a child princess and the last of the Naga clan who for her whole life was sheltered into slumber, never to bet allowed into the world, to a wiser and mature adult, who while still having a playful side, bears the responsibility of Naga as her Voice and eventually she, herself. Like Mother, like daughter. Then there's experiencing the painful reality of being a dragon manakete and outliving all of your loved ones

This totally counts, with Awakening being 2k years from her debut, right?

Gonna agree with you about Tiki.

Also, her Warriors support with Caeda is heart wrenching when you take into consideration the whole outliving your loved ones.

Warriors in general gave a lot of development to the characters. Can't wait to see what it'll do for Tharja, Owain and Olivia.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

This so much. In Awakening Severa takes her tsundere tendencies so far that I don't think she's a very good person. Its like she's incapable of being kind to people when not on her own terms and without having people jump through hoops to prove themselves to her.

Honestly I blame localization for that because if you read her japanese supports the ratio of tsun to dere(I'm such weeb trash) is a lot more balanced like it is in fates. For example in her Owain support it's made infinitely more clear in the japanese version the reason she's scolding him about his chuunibiyo antics is because she doesn't want to needlessly worry about him.

Who's to say robin isn't a desendent of a brother, sister, or even cousin of forneus. 

Edited by Otts486

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

Who's to say robin isn't a desendent of a brother, sister, or even brother of forneus. 

And how would that make Robin Fellblood? Grima taking in Forneus' blood one thing, but this doesn't mean that Grima is now influencing everyone that is related to Forneus. Grima himself became the Fellblood after all. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

And how would that make Robin Fellblood? Grima taking in Forneus' blood one thing, but this doesn't mean that Grima is now influencing everyone that is related to Forneus. Grima himself became the Fellblood after all. 

If we're going by grima's body being destroyed by alm then maybe grima's spirit could've possessed someone with some close blood ties with forneus be it a niece, nephew, son, daughter, etc. just pure speculation on my part though.

Just now, Otts486 said:

If we're going by grima's body being destroyed by alm then maybe grima's spirit could've possessed someone with some close blood ties with forneus be it a niece, nephew, son, daughter, etc. just pure speculation on my part though.

Well, who knows how possession works for Grima's standards. But he clearly hasn't made any moves for 1000 years. 

Though I'm possibly gonna post a new topic regarding Grima's powers and his sealing. Just checking how its seen in reddit first.

15 hours ago, Lau said:

Gonna agree with you about Tiki.

Also, her Warriors support with Caeda is heart wrenching when you take into consideration the whole outliving your loved ones.

Warriors in general gave a lot of development to the characters. Can't wait to see what it'll do for Tharja, Owain and Olivia.

Yes, Warriors too.

Lucy's Marth support allowed me to be more lenient toward her for taking his name