This is what the poor in the Philippines resort to if they can't afford to buy meat

redlight

I just read the description because I'm eating right now and don't want to lose my appetite. But that's pretty f-ed up...they can't sell like, bread, vegetables, cheap foods to these people? Nobody wants to eat food that was in a LANDFILL!

Despite the resources being, well, pretty much garbage, the end result actually looked appetizing. Though it's pretty insane how you're too poor to buy chicken (in my country it's the cheapest meat and by a huge margin). Though I'm curious as to which is more unhealthy: instant noodles or pagpag.

Edited by silveraura25

• redlight changed the title to This is what the poor in the Philippines resort to if they can't afford to buy meat
3 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

I saw this just now. Share your thoughts. Though I don't recommend this to the faint of heart.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-42990661/how-meat-is-recycled-and-sold-to-the-poor

oh yeah I remember my mom telling me that our relatives did this to eat in the provinces. I forgot the term for it, but it translates to "dusted-off food"

I entered this topic while thinking 'What is this about  something like water in the meat ?' Ahaha... ah... I'm too optimistic.

More seriously, that's really screwed up. That's another of the many nightmate of poverty that I just discovered. The guy who eat say it was actually good, well I hope it won't kill him. :/

Knowing the source or not, it really doesn' t good to me in any rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagpag

Yeah veggies and bread and whatnot are cheap in the Ph, but I'd like to point something out

Minimum Wage in the Philippines is about 350 Pesos a day. That's about 7 USD to eat on daily. Furthermore, many employers will skimp out on this and make it about 200 Pesos a day with alleged 150 pesos for a "food allowance". (Usually in the form of food provided by the employer. Most of the time it's a scoop of rice+a vegetable and maybe a piece of fish or meat if you're lucky/rich enough. Often times it's just a scoop of rice and shitty vegetable leftovers.) 

Fucking college graduates have to fight to get in line for jobs that pay minimum wage. Even professors at the Universities get paid 350 pesos. Like the only way to get more cash is to have come from a prominent(rich) family or to make "connections" (illicit and otherwise) 

let me put it this way, you've got about 350 pesos a day. It's about 30-40 pesos for the cheapest meals that aren't garbage. Add on the transportation fees, rent, utlities, phone bill, and whatnot. It's highly unlikely you'll have much of anything left over.  Furthermore, in the Philippines, when you're involved in social activities aside from drinking, you're expected to have gifts and shit. If you go to a relatives place, you're kind of expected to have a gift for everyone. If you have relatives visiting, it's the same fucking thing. 

Source: Was a former pre-law student in the Philippines and took a Labor Law class in the University of San Carlo. The minimum wage amount is in the Labor Code, but no local government body enforces it if the employers just file shit under "food allowance".

Back in the early 1900s, America did something similar. The book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair talks about it. In the meat-packing industry, the meat would be packed up and shipped off even if it had fallen on the floor and shit on by rats. Sausages would be made from the meat they already had alongside rat corpses and rat feces. The workers would wash their hands in the water bins where they washed the meat in. I would go on, but I think I've made a clear enough point.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, Czarpy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagpag

Yeah veggies and bread and whatnot are cheap in the Ph, but I'd like to point something out

Minimum Wage in the Philippines is about 350 Pesos a day. That's about 7 USD to eat on daily. Furthermore, many employers will skimp out on this and make it about 200 Pesos a day with alleged 150 pesos for a "food allowance". (Usually in the form of food provided by the employer. Most of the time it's a scoop of rice+a vegetable and maybe a piece of fish or meat if you're lucky/rich enough. Often times it's just a scoop of rice and shitty vegetable leftovers.) 

Fucking college graduates have to fight to get in line for jobs that pay minimum wage. Even professors at the Universities get paid 350 pesos. Like the only way to get more cash is to have come from a prominent(rich) family or to make "connections" (illicit and otherwise) 

let me put it this way, you've got about 350 pesos a day. It's about 30-40 pesos for the cheapest meals that aren't garbage. Add on the transportation fees, rent, utlities, phone bill, and whatnot. It's highly unlikely you'll have much of anything left over.  Furthermore, in the Philippines, when you're involved in social activities aside from drinking, you're expected to have gifts and shit. If you go to a relatives place, you're kind of expected to have a gift for everyone. If you have relatives visiting, it's the same fucking thing. 

Source: Was a former pre-law student in the Philippines and took a Labor Law class in the University of San Carlo. The minimum wage amount is in the Labor Code, but no local government body enforces it if the employers just file shit under "food allowance".

Actually, the last time I checked, the exact amount of the minimum wage was 340 pesos (excluding overtime pay), but that's only if you have an honest employer who pays well. So basically, a typical working-class Filipino (which is actually quite uncommon compared to the numbers of those in poverty) has around $6.80 to spend daily, and keep in mind a lot of people take loans from loan sharks. (Although the general cost of food is relatively lower than in the US. I observed that because when I went to America, all the food was relatively expensive compared to local counterparts.) From my experience, a company I was deeply involved in provided afternoon snacks consisting of simple things such as pandesal (bread) and didn't charge the employees for that. They also gave the employees standard wages (seriously, I checked their payroll), and the people seemed content with their jobs. You're lucky if you live in a big city (say, Cebu or General Santos) because there are some cheap sources of food.

For example, there's this chain of food stands known as "Minute Burger", whose goal is to feed the people at a minute's notice (sorry couldn't resist) sell cheap burgers at prices starting at P32 (and every burger is buy 1 take 1). But if you live doon sa probinsiya, then no such luck, I guess.

Overall, I think there are two cheap sources of meat (if they can be considered meat): eggs and fish. If you have no meat, then I'd suggest eating rice or kamote (sweet potato) with sauce or salt. That should suffice.

Wow, my country is in such a terrible state. Poverty is rampant, and most beggars are probably too lazy to get jobs, even if said jobs require little to no formal education. Some street people have taken it upon themselves to sell salted nuts and the like, and I admire them for their industriousness.

Feel free to ignore my ramblings.

5 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

"hamburgers" in the Ph kinda refers to a little beef mixed with a lot of filler wheat and crap.

Hey, it still tastes good! Or maybe it's just my little personal bias. But hey, having some meat is better than having no meat at all, in my opinion.

I read a similar article from a Filipino immigrant/expat community magazine. Yeah, that really sounds messed up, having to eat dusted-off food. Is it getting any better though, or is it actually getting worse, compared to the past?

Edited by henrymidfields

dude the local barangays do stuff like community peanut farms/corn rows and the shit gets stolen by the local government instead of being given to the poor.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:31 AM, henrymidfields said:

I read a similar article from a Filipino immigrant/expat community magazine. Yeah, that really sounds messed up, having to eat dusted-off food. Is it getting any better though, or is it actually getting worse, compared to the past?

8 hours ago, Czarpy said:

dude the local barangays do stuff like community peanut farms/corn rows and the shit gets stolen by the local government instead of being given to the poor.

Basically this. Our government is so corrupt, and the officials frequently take funds for themselves.

1 hour ago, shintarouee said:

This is upsetting, but what upsets me even more is how our government left Yolanda relief goods to rot. Yolanda was Typhoon Haiyan, I think? It was the worst typhoon in history... What our government does really grinds my gears. :/

I know, right? Also, yes, Yolanda was Haiyan. I think the government needs to address two issues: Poverty and overpopulation. The second one sometimes leads to the first one.

Also, glad to see yet another Filipino on this site. (Well I'm mostly Chinese, but born and raised here.)