Which animation company should handle FE16's cutscenes?

BZL8

Beginning with Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem is no stranger to having cutscenes animated by various animation companies. Here are the various studios that handled the cutscenes throughout the FE series:

• Digital Frontier Inc. (Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn): Prominent CGI/motion-capture studio best known for their work in CGI films. Some of their works include "Gantz: O", "Resident Evil: Damnation", "Resident Evil: Degeneration". They have also done cutscenes for other games including "Metal Gear Rising Revengeance", some of the "Yakuza" games, and some of the "Tekken" games. Their website can be found here.
  • Anima, Inc. (Awakening, Fates, Heroes): CGI animation studio that has handled a diverse range of projects for different clients. Some of their work ranges from opening cutscenes in anime, CGI trailers, and of course videogame cutscenes. According to their website, they have also done work on "Monster Hunter Portable 3rd", as well as some animated short-films and some OVAs. Their website can be found here.
  • Studio Khara (Echoes): Japanese animation studio founded by Hideaki Anno of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" fame that is best known for their work on the "Rebuild of Evangelion" movies. Most of their work is actually handling in-between animation for various other anime studios. Of note, Khara also was the studio that handled "Gravity Rush: The Animation" for Sony. Their website can be found here.

We can likely assume that FE16 will have cutscenes, even if we don't know anything yet. That said, which animation company would like to see handle the animated cutscenes for FE16? Any of the above three? Bones? A-1? Ufotable? White Fox? Toei? BN? Kyoto? Shaft? Trigger? Polygon Pictures? Any other companies?

Edited by BZL8
Throwing some other companies in the mix.

If it's done by Kyoto Animation, it's guaranteed to look absolutely beautiful, so i'd probably go with that. My other options would be Ufotable, Trigger or Madhouse.

I wouldn't want A-1 or Toei though. A-1 is always hit-or-miss and Toei puts all of it's effort into One Piece and Dragon Ball Super, and even then, it doesn't always look good.

I mean, I think of those mentioned, Khara has the best talent behind them. But Anima has done the best with FE.

Maybe it was a budget thing. Echoes' scenes just looked... low budget, which is probably appropriate, since I think Echoes was a low budget project. So maybe Khara would do better if they got paid more. But Anima has a good track record.

I don't know about other studios. Just based on the ones that have already worked on the franchise.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I mean, I think of those mentioned, Khara has the best talent behind them. But Anima has done the best with FE.

Maybe it was a budget thing. Echoes' scenes just looked... low budget, which is probably appropriate, since I think Echoes was a low budget project. So maybe Khara would do better if they got paid more. But Anima has a good track record.

I don't know about other studios. Just based on the ones that have already worked on the franchise.

Khara is currently busy working on the fourth "Rebuild of Evangelion" film, so I don't think they will be doing the cutscenes for FE16. Anima returning personally won't surprise me.

I'm more concerned about high quality choreography than I am graphical fidelity. Make your cutscenes feel right and it barely means a damn thing what your style is.

Out of the folks who've worked with IS before though I really wanna see the RD animation crew come back though, because RD's cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous and sorely underappreciated. I'd love a whole game in that style.

2 minutes ago, Maritisa said:

I'm more concerned about high quality choreography than I am graphical fidelity. Make your cutscenes feel right and it barely means a damn thing what your style is.

Out of the folks who've worked with IS before though I really wanna see the RD animation crew come back though, because RD's cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous and sorely underappreciated. I'd love a whole game in that style.

Digital Frontier's work is incredible on Radiant Dawn. I would be happy for them to return, though I feel they may be more expensive than hiring a regular anime company.

1 minute ago, Heruseus said:

Ok, these are all good, but here me out:

Madhouse

I approve of this, they did the Etrian Odyssey untold openings, so I think they could make some pretty solid action scenes in a new fire emblem.

as for the op, I just prefer the general style of khara, it works better with fire emblem's style in my opinion.

Kyoto Animations, as their animations look absolutely gorgeous.

Other than that, I would like either Digital Frontier Inc or Anime, Inc to come back, since I like the animations they did for Fire Emblem.

Wouldn't mind Khara coming back either but I don't think they'll be dealing with FE16 since they're currently occupied in making the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film. Their animations for SoV wasn't too great anyways compared to Fates and Awakening, but I guess it was because of budget or something?

I don't want A-1 to animate the cutscenes though. Their animations were always just medicore for me.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

On 2/24/2018 at 2:22 PM, Heruseus said:

Ok, these are all good, but here me out:

Madhouse

If you look at Awakening's credits, Madhouse is listed under "Event Illustration". Not sure what responsibilities that entails, but if anything, they have worked on the series.

29 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

If you look at Awakening's credits, Madhouse is listed under "Event Illustration". Not sure what responsibilities that entails, but if anything, they have worked on the series.

If I had to make a guess I would say it would be for stills and the dlc images, I don't know for sure but thats my guess.

I did a little research out of curiostiy and it seems FE Awakening and Fates animations where down by a studio called anima,inc. They also did the intro for Lucina and Robin in Smash. Madhouse was the one that did the CG's and animated stills.

I actually wouldn't mind them coming back because I thought the cutscenes for both games were amazing.

17 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Kyoto Animations, as their animations look absolutely gorgeous.

if it were to be Kyoto Animations it would HAVE to be 2D because I need this. Though I wouldn't mind seeing 3d animation done by them as I don't doubt they'd pull it off.

2 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I did a little research out of curiostiy and it seems FE Awakening and Fates animations where down by a studio called anima,inc. They also did the intro for Lucina and Robin in Smash. Madhouse was the one that did the CG's and animated stills.

I actually wouldn't mind them coming back because I thought the cutscenes for both games were amazing.

It was already mentioned in the original post...

7 hours ago, Otts486 said:

if it were to be Kyoto Animations it would HAVE to be 2D because I need this. Though I wouldn't mind seeing 3d animation done by them as I don't doubt they'd pull it off.

Agreed. Haven't seen any 3d animation from them but after seeing Violet Evergarden's animation, I definitely want KyoAni animating the cutscenes in 2d.

I think we should consider what kind of animated cutscenes that FE16 will have. For example, if several cutscenes include major fighting sequences, a studio like Bones or ufotable, who have experience in these sorts of scenes,  might be the better choice. However, if several cutscenes are solely dedicated on cinematography and effects, a studio like Kyoto or Shaft might be the better choice.

Edited by BZL8