Split Second is one of the best racing games I ever played

Ronnie

2T6kOBV.jpg

If you like racing games and don't own this, you need to get it. If you like Burnout, this plays like Burnout but with a twist! It's a total hidden gem. It's available for PS3 and 360 but I definitely recommend the 360 version for one reason: custom soundtrack.

This is an arcade style racing game where instead of items to attack your opponents, you can trigger "Power Plays" which destroys a part of the race track like a bridge, or a helicopter shooting a missile to attack your opponents. It's a fun and addicting game. It's pretty forgiving at first and doesn't punish you for getting 6th place or something. The tracks get more challenging of course, with tighter turns and even more tricky Power Plays. The game has local multiplayer which is something a lot of games recently lack.

Now I mentioned custom soundtrack. The reason is because the original soundtrack is only decent. It's generic fast paced instrumentals. I would suggest playing some really kick ass rock or punk music to fit the mood of the race. Trust me, adding your own music through Xbox 360 really enhances the experience of this game. Play "All I Want" by The Offspring or "Watch It Fall" by The God Awfuls and you'll see what I mean. I've been playing this game whenever I have free time from class or homework. I'm hooked!

Here's a gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my4bpjc3_tQ

Edited by Ronnie

I remember playing Split Second, years ago when BlockBuster was still around. I completed about 80% of the game before having to return it. I like for some special moves it changes the design of the track, and the pick up and play feel it had. The only thing that I got annoyed by was the rubberbanding by the ai. Then again, what racing game doesn't have that?

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I remember playing Split Second, years ago when BlockBuster was still around. I completed about 80% of the game before having to return it. I like for some special moves it changes the design of the track, and the pick up and play feel it had. The only thing that I got annoyed by was the rubberbanding by the ai. Then again, what racing game doesn't have that?

Rubberband AI is especially noticeable in Burnout. Though it makes sense because the whole gimmick is to wreck your opponents. Can't really do that when they're eating your dust lol.

21 hours ago, Zera said:

So, a racing game where you can make things spontaneously explode? Neat. Although, it doesn't look like it'll reach the sheer speed and intensity of F-Zero GX.

Yeah this game would be a 10/10 if it was 60fps like F Zero but I still give it a solid 9.